Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So, for fun today as part of my October Challenge of watching as many new-to-me horror as I can in the month, today I watched all live action J-Horror that were related to video games. Including Forbidden Siren, which is technically an tie-in to part 2, but close enough. As it says in the intro post of this very thread, the movie has almost nothing to do with the game. It's pretty badly written junk about a girl whose father and kid brother and herself move to a jungle island where often refugees have lived. The scenery is cool, looking more like say, Haiti, than Japan. There is a siren that sounds, and there are creatures you could argue are Shibito, but that's about as much as the movie has in common with the game. Unless you're morbidly curious like I was/am, avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Holy poo poo, man! I had straightup given up on you ever finishing this run. I'm really glad to be wrong about that. Good to see you back!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Choco1980 posted:

So, for fun today as part of my October Challenge of watching as many new-to-me horror as I can in the month, today I watched all live action J-Horror that were related to video games. Including Forbidden Siren, which is technically an tie-in to part 2, but close enough. As it says in the intro post of this very thread, the movie has almost nothing to do with the game. It's pretty badly written junk about a girl whose father and kid brother and herself move to a jungle island where often refugees have lived. The scenery is cool, looking more like say, Haiti, than Japan. There is a siren that sounds, and there are creatures you could argue are Shibito, but that's about as much as the movie has in common with the game. Unless you're morbidly curious like I was/am, avoid it.

That sounds awful! Sounds like they wasted a perfectly good premise. Executive meddling, perhaps?

On a side note: Egomaniac, I read on a Wiki recently that "dog shibito" is apparently a mistranslation and that they're actually called "beetle shibito?" It kind of makes sense considering the general insectoid theme of the other mutated shibito, but I don't know if it's necessarily accurate. What do you think?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Simian_Prime posted:

On a side note: Egomaniac, I read on a Wiki recently that "dog shibito" is apparently a mistranslation and that they're actually called "beetle shibito?" It kind of makes sense considering the general insectoid theme of the other mutated shibito, but I don't know if it's necessarily accurate. What do you think?

In Japanese they're called inu-shibito, which translates as dog shibito. :shrug:

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

By the way, I haven't forgotten about the LP. I should have the final update this weekend at the latest.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Egomaniac posted:

By the way, I haven't forgotten about the LP. I should have the final update this weekend at the latest.

Cool! Super excited.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Awwww, it's ending already. :( But at least we can now talk about it after. There's a lot if interesting stuff to talk about.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
FYI, Ego, I just updated my playlist of the chronological viewing of Siren on YouTube, in case you want to link it in the OP

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ_C6um3zWUzcKJf-qwGrmeS5sqbrZhdp

Let me know if you want me to switch anything around, like the bonus videos or whatever.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Archive 001 - Irazu Valley mural

Archive 098 - Misumi Daily Gazette

Archive 100 - Misumi Daily Gazette

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That was.....strange. Yet fascinating. An appropriate set of videos to open Halloween with.

Harumi being rescued again. :unsmith:

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Yoriko is my bae.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Goddamn that ending song- it's like a loving funeral dirge. Does anyone have the lyrics or could make a translation?

Not quite sure what the point was of that last Yoriko cutscene besides emphasizing that she's not a Shibito. Did she have levels of her own that got cut or something? I'd commit murder for a rundown on cut content for this game.

Also, that's Halley's comet the archive is talking about, and it did pass Earth in 684.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Kavak posted:

Goddamn that ending song- it's like a loving funeral dirge. Does anyone have the lyrics or could make a translation?

Not quite sure what the point was of that last Yoriko cutscene besides emphasizing that she's not a Shibito. Did she have levels of her own that got cut or something? I'd commit murder for a rundown on cut content for this game.

Also, that's Halley's comet the archive is talking about, and it did pass Earth in 684.

Well, she just rescued the good old professah and with luck shared a but of her now Shibitoing-immune blood.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'd like to point out that the datatsushi scene matches up with the flying fish story archive. That is to say a holy creature falling out of the sky during a drought and the starved people eating it, resulting in divine punishment.

I still say kyoya is trapped in time and is the youth mentioned in the supplemental website about the Hanuda Incident.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yoriko quickly shoots up to being The Best.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

drat, what an ending!

It's a shame this game didn't catch on in the states due to its difficulty; it might have had a better reception if it were released now, in the era of Dark Souls where gamers are craving more challenge.

Strikes me that if I were to make another entry in the franchise today, I'd add more modularity to the storyline, have it be affected by player choice. You could multiple storylines in the game, and which one you see depends on the choices you make in the game. (You might have a storyline where Kyoya became a shibito, or Akira made it out alive, for example).

Accompanied by a social media campaign where you tweet a photo and edits it to make you look like a shibito, all blue skin and bleeding eyes. #getshibbed

--------------
Aww... Datatsushi used to be all cute and beluga-y. Time (and being partially eaten) has been rough on him

Is the pregnant woman who eating Datatsushi meant to be Hisako?

---------------------------------------------

I realize now that Datatsushi's final form is reminiscent of the Zuiyo-maru Carcass. These guys went deep into their Japanese urban legend research.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Simian_Prime posted:

Is the pregnant woman who eating Datatsushi meant to be Hisako?

Yes

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Iceclaw posted:

Well, she just rescued the good old professah and with luck shared a but of her now Shibitoing-immune blood.

I mean the one where she falls through the floor.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kavak posted:

I mean the one where she falls through the floor.

It shows exactly what was happening when the Professah got a glimpse of her in that cutscene.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Kavak posted:

Hoshingoeika

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Thank you!

Anyone familiar with Moto Hagio?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kavak posted:

Thank you!

Anyone familiar with Moto Hagio?

...The mangaka? She did A-A1 (which I own) and a whole mess of others that I've never read. What's her relation to Siren?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

...The mangaka? She did A-A1 (which I own) and a whole mess of others that I've never read. What's her relation to Siren?

One of the lyrics in Hoshingoeika is apparently a reference to her Silver Triangle.

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
Ms. Takato is a hell of a teacher. Sad to see the LP end but I'm glad for the ride. Fantastic work, Egomaniac!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I just picked this up during the PS Halloween sale and I've heard it's pretty hard so are there any general newbie tips? Sorry if this has been asked already, I was afraid to check the thread in case of spoilers.

Is printing out maps and using them to mark enemy/object of interest locations a viable strategy?

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

AMReese posted:

FYI, Ego, I just updated my playlist of the chronological viewing of Siren on YouTube, in case you want to link it in the OP

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ_C6um3zWUzcKJf-qwGrmeS5sqbrZhdp

Let me know if you want me to switch anything around, like the bonus videos or whatever.

Thanks! I added it in.

Simian_Prime posted:

I realize now that Datatsushi's final form is reminiscent of the Zuiyo-maru Carcass. These guys went deep into their Japanese urban legend research.

That's cool, I never knew about that one and there's definitely a resemblance. I'll add the link to the OP

Getsuya posted:

I just picked this up during the PS Halloween sale and I've heard it's pretty hard so are there any general newbie tips? Sorry if this has been asked already, I was afraid to check the thread in case of spoilers.

Is printing out maps and using them to mark enemy/object of interest locations a viable strategy?

Treat it like a puzzle game more than an action game. You're usually supposed to use a distraction or gimmick to get past obstacles. You can also get reasonably close to enemies without being noticed if you just walk instead of creeping. Helps give yourself some more leeway.

Enemies aren't randomized for the most part so yeah, noting stuff on the maps should be helpful.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Egomaniac posted:

Treat it like a puzzle game more than an action game. You're usually supposed to use a distraction or gimmick to get past obstacles. You can also get reasonably close to enemies without being noticed if you just walk instead of creeping. Helps give yourself some more leeway.

Case in point: I once managed to just walk straight through Shiro's second level to the exit after I realized how hard it is to aggro the Shibito without running or being seen.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Egomaniac, can you explain what is happening at the end of "The Reborn"?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Shiro killed Kei, and took his stuff, because Shiro has a massive inferiority complex regarding how his brother was picked to being the new priest as a kid, and wanted to be him, for just a little bit. That's Kei waking up after being shot in the face by his brother and shibitoing I would assume.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Yeah, specifically he's one of those unformed wretches like Shiro saw when he drained the water. Kind of like something out of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
So now that the LP is over, I guess we talk more about the story and the meta of the game. First thing on the agenda: why a primary and secondary objective?

All the characters were transported into another dimension and are caught in a time loop. The primary objective is what they do the first time around, which they keep repeating to maintain the time loop. The secondary objective is what they do they break the cycle with the help of the Uryen and the four spirits of the village released from the lamps, which is why some of it is non-sensical. A higher power is guiding them to do it. From a meta/gameplay perspective, it's pretty brilliant as you're doomed to repeat the actions of the characters in the primary objective until you get it right (the secondary objective).

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

VoodooXT posted:

So now that the LP is over, I guess we talk more about the story and the meta of the game. First thing on the agenda: why a primary and secondary objective?

All the characters were transported into another dimension and are caught in a time loop. The primary objective is what they do the first time around, which they keep repeating to maintain the time loop. The secondary objective is what they do they break the cycle with the help of the Uryen and the four spirits of the village released from the lamps, which is why some of it is non-sensical. A higher power is guiding them to do it. From a meta/gameplay perspective, it's pretty brilliant as you're doomed to repeat the actions of the characters in the primary objective until you get it right (the secondary objective).

I actually have a comment regardong that but in relation to the second game
Would it be ok for me to make it? (Keeping any siren 2 spoilers hidden of course)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Egomaniac posted:

Yeah, specifically he's one of those unformed wretches like Shiro saw when he drained the water. Kind of like something out of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

I thought it was because Shiro burned him on a pyre?

VoodooXT posted:

They really run with that in Blood Curse, one of the few good things about it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So is the thread done? Are you going to redo Siren 2? Am I being too pushy? (I'm assuming yes)

I loved this plot, but I feel like there were still a few things they didn't wrap up properly. However, with this game, there's enough that's left to the player to figure out I might have missed it.

I'm guessing because the LP is done I don't need to worry about spoiling things now. But nonetheless, reader beware.

The way I understand things, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that the legend of the fish that fell out of the sky is a direct apocryphal telling of Datatsushi's tragedy in the 7th century. The siren is his cries of agony and anger. Whether he's a god or an alien is kinda irrelevant at this point. Hisako for whatever reason, is his immortal servant, perhaps as punishment for her partaking in the eating of him. There's no explanation I can recall as to what happened with her unborn baby or the other eaters. They once a generation offer this invisible "god" (whom I believe has been tethered to the Mana Stone) a bride to keep him placated while he way too slowly heals his wounds.The villagers have mixed these rituals with Shinto to create their unique religion. Last time, in the 70s, the ritual was interrupted by the bride to be running away, and in his anger, Datatsushi caused a massive earthquake in the village. Most of the villagers did not survive, but Tamon and Akira were among the survivors. Tamon then devoted his life to the occult, and now is revisiting the town where he lost his parents because he knows it's time for the next sacrifice. (Kyoya's just a kid investigating the spooky town he heard about--in fact, that's him posting as "SDK" on the Occultland page linked in the Extras) This time, Miyako breaks the Mana Stone, which forces Hisako to step up her game, and act now, as the Big D's loose, and his wailing siren turns the villagers into his worker and soldier ants to answer to his hivemind call, and aid him in returning to full imago form. (I don't really understand why the nest needed to be so elaborate, but oh well). The tandem rages create a sort of time loop between the two failed ceremonies, melding them in strange ways. This is interesting, because whatever the force of Good is trying to fight Datty is also using time loops to move things along. We aren't ever told what that force is? It could be a rival god/creature, it could be the magic within the controlled characters, it even might be suggesting it's US, the players that are behind the actions. It's a sort of teasing out the best outcome, going again and again until the characters do everything they need to to get to where they need to. In the extra materials is the english link to the shibito website, and the "Hanuda Incident" they talk about, with a young man suddenly appearing right before the earthquake in 76, carrying guns and a "Japanese Sword" and slaying the village, paired with the kickin rad ending seen in video 85, lead me to believe that Kyoya, after killing Datsushi, gets pulled back by the time loop to the first incident, where he kills all the shibitoed villagers of 1976 before they can aid their master. I don't know if he survived the encounter, nor do I know if he was at all responsible for the earthquake (possibly from his heavy use of the Uryen?) I'm not sure what Shiro (assuming his brother Kei's identity) was aiming to accomplish with his companion Uryen. Seal the hellmouth perhaps?

My other uncertainty is the umbrella one of all the nods to other Japanese legends, like the Tsuchinoko and the skyfish, or most confusing, the one bit with Hisako apparently having a vision of the maiden from the Boat of Utsubo (and who's mystery box looked an awful lot like a microwave to me). Did all this stuff have relevance to the main plot, or were they just supposed to be easter eggs to find and get creeped out by?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hisako's baby was the first Kajiro. Not sure where that's established or if it's just implied, but it's true.

The Shinto syncretism was also to hide their true faith after the Tokugawa Shogunate nearly destroyed them centuries back.

I'm not sure if Miyako broke the ritual somehow, if Kyoya interrupting things messed it up (Maybe she fled when everyone was focused on him), or Datatsushi was ready to ascend- Hisako said as much when she fried Ayako to end the bloodline. The 333-year comet might've been his ride, like how Halley's Comet brought him to Earth.

The timeloop/driving force is...one of those things that's probably best left up to interpretation. It's happening, and is why the very first level has just one objective, but the how/why is basically "It's a video game, just roll with it".

I still don't grok the link between Kyoya destroying the Shibito and the Tsuyama Massacre references. There's lots of allusions to Japanese myths like Yaobikuni and the Tsuchinoko, but that was a real incident. Was it hushed up and kind of became a legend because of that? Is it just the "trapped outside time" deal the village has going on?

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Choco1980 posted:

My other uncertainty is the umbrella one of all the nods to other Japanese legends, like the Tsuchinoko and the skyfish, or most confusing, the one bit with Hisako apparently having a vision of the maiden from the Boat of Utsubo (and who's mystery box looked an awful lot like a microwave to me). Did all this stuff have relevance to the main plot, or were they just supposed to be easter eggs to find and get creeped out by?

The maiden in the boat was herself. Remember after Kyoya kills Datatsushi Hisako got super old and then fell into a strange hole in the ground while riding the altar? She fell into the past and rode the altar down the river. The box she had contained the freshly-dead Datatsushi's head.

His head was used in the bride ceremonies but had been lost somehow right before the game starts (it's not said how, maybe it's what Miyako was smashing at the start). After floating down the river for awhile she eventually, through time shenanigans, ended up back at the present and gave Hisako the head so that she could complete the ceremony.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Miyako is cutting off the head at the start- which is needed for the creature to resurrect later in the game. The mana stone is under the church, along with, apparently, shibito, which seem to be sometimes created independently of the two big events, per the side stories. The cop at the beginning is also transitioning- it seems to be a sort of psychic time leak thing. Kyoya is killing all of the remaining shibito from the second incident. The ones from the first incident are horribly disfigured and mostly buried underground, in the reservoir ( taken care of by Kei), or wanderers like Tamon's parents.

Who finds Harumi when she fell asleep toward the end? We see their shadow.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 8, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I thought Ishida was just super drunk before he got hit by the car.

I think Kyoya carried her out of the nest and somehow sent her back to reality.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm going off the Siren maniacs translation, which has word of god on some of these things.

quote:

...However, perhaps because he had been drinking alcohol the day of the incident, or perhaps alcohol lowers resistance to red water, but the day before, when the rift between the real world and the Other World had already begun to lose stability, in the middle of the night when the red water began to form Ishida, due to his incredibly low tolerance, turned into a half Shibito before the disappearances. Having been working that night with his elderly boss, Ishida shot his boss to death and began to wander the area (his half-Shibito line is, "Roger, shoot to kill..."). Later Ishida becomes a fly Shibito but, off guard due to his love of alcohol from his lifetime, his beloved New Nambu revolver is stolen by Kyoya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
It's a good point though...why did the nest have to be so big? Its purpose was to protect the pool for the ceremony, but it engulfed the whole village. Did the shibito just keep building and building because they keep doing the same action over and over?

• Locked thread