Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Robnoxious posted:

Millennials care not about professional sports

I care not for this claim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You can make literally any claim about millenials and somewhere an old man will shake his head and sigh in agreement

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Robnoxious posted:

Millennials care not about professional sports and even less about cable tv.

lol, this is a joke right?

It's not just millennials. Everyone has moved on from Espn, especially Sportscenter. There are so many better ways to access sports highlights. Nobody wants to listen to an endless barrage of hot takes and Dallas Cowboys/Lebron talk, with a sprinkling of highlights.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't think millennials like professional sports any less than previous generations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't think millennials like professional sports any less than previous generations.

Possibly more due to fantasy and daily fantasy.

But they are also far less likely to have cable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

b-minus1 posted:

It's not just millennials. Everyone has moved on from Espn, especially Sportscenter. There are so many better ways to access sports highlights. Nobody wants to listen to an endless barrage of hot takes and Dallas Cowboys/Lebron talk, with a sprinkling of highlights.
SportsCenter was fine when it was prior to streaming broadband, but in current times I'm surprised anyone watches it.

I grew up with the heyday of the Olbermann/Patrick and later Stuart Scott and others Sportscenters, but that was before the Internet mostly.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

b-minus1 posted:

That actually sounds extremely relevant to my interests

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MourningView posted:

That actually sounds extremely relevant to my interests

Ricky Davis needs to become a TV or radio announcer for the Cowboys or Hawkeyes.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Or a sideline reporter, at the very least.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The reaction from the old farmers who listen to Iowa games on the radio if Bobby Hansen was suddenly replaced with Ricky Davis would be great

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Nielson backtracked off those numbers when ESPN bitched.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i watch sportscenter while i fall asleep because it's good background noise while i read. i stream it in my roku from my family's account though so I'm not sure if that counts.

maybe I'm just dumb and like highlight shows but I've considered paying for cable just so i can get nhl network to watch their recap show so i don't have to manually find the highlights. also i like nasal spray ads

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i watch sportscenter while i fall asleep because it's good background noise while i read. i stream it in my roku from my family's account though so I'm not sure if that counts.

maybe I'm just dumb and like highlight shows but I've considered paying for cable just so i can get nhl network to watch their recap show so i don't have to manually find the highlights. also i like nasal spray ads

Sling's Sports package has NHL network.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I like that the two most common complaints about Sportscenter are "they don't show enough highlights!" and "it's irrelevant, no one needs to wait for highlights anymore!"

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

Sling's Sports package has NHL network.

you are a loving hero. the last time i looked they didn't have it. now I'm definitely subbing

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If Sling could add the local Comcast networks, I'm all in. Playstation Vue has it but I don't want to use a loving playstation to control my TV (plus they're more expensive).

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Sling had Coming Soon listed for CSN at least as far back as August so we subscribed but now that NHL and NBA seasons have started its been removed lol

Also NBAtv would be nice

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jackie D posted:

Also NBAtv would be nice

Speaking of the NBA, is League Pass still the disaster it was for like 3 years? I remember it was just miserable for people for quite a while.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Turns out that 600,000+ subscriber loss in a month figure for ESPN was bullshit:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/nielsen-now-removes-its-november-cable-estimates-espn-networks-safe-for-now.html

Meanwhile here's an interesting article about the general decline in tv ratings and how with the internet you're not really missing anything:

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/793826738476310528

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's a great article by Spencer Hall

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

The reaction from the old farmers who listen to Iowa games on the radio if Bobby Hansen was suddenly replaced with Ricky Davis would be great

Initially read this as Bobby Heenan

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That would be so much better.

Hansen was a shooting guard for Iowa in the 80s who is most notable for holding the incredibly pointless position of Michael Jordan's backup for a few years. He also went to high school with my mom. He is a godawful announcer and I'd much rather listen to Ricky Davis ignore the game to tell stories about getting high with Mark Blount

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Brian Baldinger has been suspended from NFL Network for 6 months for promoting bounties

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Department of Justice is suing AT&T for collusion against Sportsnet LA.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/sportswatch/status/794601891351117824

https://twitter.com/sportswatch/status/794602202157514753

wonder if espn is laughing right now

e: he's going to stick around hbo to develop other stuff

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 4, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Understatement of the loving year from Simmons there

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/sportswatch/status/794601891351117824

https://twitter.com/sportswatch/status/794602202157514753

wonder if espn is laughing right now

e: he's going to stick around hbo to develop other stuff

I don't think ESPN is in the position to be laughing at anyone right now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hopefully FS1 will do the same with the Whitlock show

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I don't think ESPN is in the position to be laughing at anyone right now.

yeah, the big subscriber drop story that was thought to be debunked was true after all

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/794620707451891713

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 4, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

From what I heard, people were expecting the problems with getting stations on DirecTV to be over once AT&T was done with the transition to power but maybe this will speed things up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For anyone in the states up watching Arsenal/Spurs, are the announcers live in the stadium? The audio's kind of fuzzy and it sounds like they're remote but maybe it's just the feed.

Moreover I'd be pretty surprised if they had a remote broadcast for a match like this.

E: Oh I guess they are indeed there. It just sounded like they were in a remote booth somewhere.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 6, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Awful Announcing has a really detailed breakdown of the NFL ratings decline across gender, age, and race

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

This is really interesting. Thanks for posting it!

I think people are just watching other things on the weekends. Catching up on DVR shows, watching shows on netflix, etc etc. Aside from the Premier League and Formula 1 (and I fully understand I am not the standard US cable TV viewer), I don't watch a lot of live sports anymore. I catch highlights of basketball and baseball and I don't even watch football highlights anymore. I'll catch scores on my phone but that's it. That aside, I've been catching up on dozens of tv shows on Netflix, HBO, and what not. Sunday nights have officially become "show catchup" night in our household. We watch Ash vs Evil Dead at 730, Westworld at 8, and then probably two or three episodes of whatever show we're trying to catch up on that week. There is a lot of quality television out there right now between netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and then quality network TV shows. Why in the world would anyone slog through lovely NFL games ( I mean the term "lovely" as a state of the league having a significant drought of good teams right now), think Jets vs Jaguars or something, when they could actually watch TV shows they may enjoy.

I think binge watching TV shows is probably replacing the NFL as "background noise" when people do other stuff around the general area of their TV.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
TV ratings are going down for basically everything because there are more ways to amuse yourself than ever. This is only a problem because rear end in a top hat executives have made permanent increasing growth the goal of our economy which is entirely unsustainable.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Simmons swooped into the Keepin' it 1600 podcast to shut that poo poo down tonight. His podcast network is gonna die because of Donald Trump.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

Simmons swooped into the Keepin' it 1600 podcast to shut that poo poo down tonight. His podcast network is gonna die because of Donald Trump.

He made them stop the broadcast?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Adun posted:

He made them stop the broadcast?

Maybe, he just showed up for no good reason and sat there looking pissed off while the rest of the crew was in major meltdown mode and then they cut out early. They also haven't come back live this morning like they had planned to.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Maybe, he just showed up for no good reason and sat there looking pissed off while the rest of the crew was in major meltdown mode and then they cut out early. They also haven't come back live this morning like they had planned to.

I think Simmons had a parlay that included a Hillary win

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vertical Lime posted:

I can't wait to hear JackO's take on what just happened!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

Hahahaha

He's such a slug loser. The man bets $50 a game and acts like he isn't doing anything other than playing poker with play money while simultaneously giving picks.