Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Junior Jr. posted:

gently caress this, I've tried installing the latest Nvidia driver, changing the resolution, waiting patiently for the game to actually load...and I get nothing. Maybe I'm running it on a Pentium or this game refuses to play with me, it's dead to me now.

I have to wait until the Day 1 patch shows up and fixes all this crap, but now I don't feel like playing Dishonored.

Haha, I totally empathize with you but it's still funny as hell. More and more these AAA games are showing that they're not really releasing a 1.0 product day one, for years now, and here we are still buying day one poo poo and taking that gamble. Preorders, nonetheless. :laugh:

I read the pre-review from Rock Paper Shotgun and I'm super stoked to play it later on. It looks really drat cool.

Hope this patch works for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Are all of you people playing already Aussies? I'm in the US and the pre-load button is killing me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Noirex posted:

Are all of you people playing already Aussies? I'm in the US and the pre-load button is killing me.

I unlocked it 3 hours ago and I'm from central Europe. I'm pretty sure it'll unlock at midnight your time.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Noirex posted:

I used a VPN to unlock my pre-load, though it should be unlocking soon anyways so it might be better to wait now than wait for the VPN unlocking to finish cause it's slow.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
I unlocked using a VPN this evening and played about an hour and a half of it.

Framerate is all over the place on a GTX970 and an i5 2500K.

Using nVidia Control Panel, setting the Vsync at the driver level and changing maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 helped a bit.

Good game, though. I didn't want to put it down.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Says that it'll unlock in about an hour for me, so hopefully very soon, thanks!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I wasn't going to pre-order at all, but then It Happened and now I desperately need something to take my mind off the whole impending doom issue.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Noirex posted:

Yeah it was unlocked when I woke up this morning and was pleasantly surprised.

Framerate is absolutely fine on a GTX 970, however the mouselook really feels like absolute garbage even after changing the sensitivity. Like it only knows how to move from control sticks and doesn't get that a mouse doesn't work the same, really annoying.

Powers all sound incredible and every time I put a point into Agility or Dark Vision as staples I'm thinking to myself 'Dammit I could be having something loving cool instead' as opposed to Dishonored 1 where I was excited for movement and helpful powers.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Just so happens that it just unlocked for me so all my fellow Americans go download!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game is absolutely unplayable on my GTX 960.
I can somewhat stomach 45-50 fps, if I really have to, but as soon as I started the first real mission the framerate started dropping to 30-35 and that's just completely unplayable.

I guess I'll wait for that mythical Day 1 patch and it that one doesn't help then I'll have to put the game on hold until my next GPU upgrade.

What a shame.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Metos posted:

Yeah it was unlocked when I woke up this morning and was pleasantly surprised.

Framerate is absolutely fine on a GTX 970, however the mouselook really feels like absolute garbage even after changing the sensitivity. Like it only knows how to move from control sticks and doesn't get that a mouse doesn't work the same, really annoying.

Powers all sound incredible and every time I put a point into Agility or Dark Vision as staples I'm thinking to myself 'Dammit I could be having something loving cool instead' as opposed to Dishonored 1 where I was excited for movement and helpful powers.

Mouse sensitivity is on the third pane on control options, changing sensitivity on any other pane won't affect it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ok so trying to run on an i7-3770k, 16GB of Ram and an R9 280 3GB graphics card.

Auto-detects mostly low on everything :( Just doing the first level with that gives me around 50 FPS and it looks ugly as gently caress. Turing of AA helps a lot but this game really has those jagard edges with out it on at least low :smith:

I can bump up models/textures to High, everything else to medium and fog to low and it jumps between 50 and 30 with AA on Low. Obv all the other optional effects are off but that's fine, I hate motion blur and stuff anyway.

Any tips on how to improve my FPS and graphics quality?

I really hope the answer isn't "upgrade the GPU" because I don't wanna burn that kinda money atm.

Edit: Menu's are 30-40 FPS

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's started unlocking for me but I have work tomorrow and need to finish the brigmore witches anyway. I've done the first level so far, how many are there?

Found the last level of the knife of dunwall and the first level of brigmore witches fairly disappointing compared to the strong first two levels of knife of dunwall. A level you've already done in the main game feels too familiar, even if it is in reverse. Although the coldridge prison one was a lot better since it had a lot of stuff you don't see in the main game--I especially liked that you could save the guy who brought the key to corvo from being executed

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Charles Get-Out posted:

Mouse sensitivity is on the third pane on control options, changing sensitivity on any other pane won't affect it.
Wow thanks I apparently missed looking all the way up the top of the controls options which apparently is only the 'Controller' options despite my controller not being plugged in right now. I hate that indie games autodetect that stuff while AAA don't.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Zore posted:

How big is the lethal/non-lethal difference in this game? Have they increased the utility and number of non-lethal powers so its not just like 'the blink show' while lethal gets all the cool poo poo?

Not as big as it was. There's a lot more room for non-lethality when it gets loud. You start with the combat sleep darts, there's stun mines, you can choke from a sword counter and a few other spell things I haven't got yet, like Emily's Doppleganger power causing sleep when it dies or grabbing people with the tentacles and choking them out. If you want to be stealthy while using lots of spells, Emily has some really good stuff for that. As well as that there's Clockwork Soldiers, who are absolutely nasty fuckers but don't count as living people, so you can sword-fight them. It's a bit harder to do that if you're trying to be non-lethal since they can go haywire.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Yeah I think I'm waiting for the patch over the weekend and if not looking at cashing my Christmas splurge money on a GTX 1060 (3GB version cause 6GB are double the price, IDK if its better to get a RX 480 4GB for the same price) :( Bye bye 300 dollary-doos.

Really annoying cause this is a 3GB R9 280 too.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

This is one of only two games to have given my new top-of-the-line rig any hint of pause, the other being Dragon Age: Inquisiton's Emerald Graves area. I'm getting ~40 FPS on completely maxed out settings.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Game runs great on PS4! :shobon:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ahaha I left a quick positive first impressions one sentence review on steam after playing 30 min before work and aside from 50/50 helpful/not helpful, no less than 3 people left angry comments about me being able to play the game or the playtime (my lack thereof).

Zenimax I applaud your decision to release it a day early for pre orders simply because of the massive salt mine. Please repeat this business practice.

Oh we talking about what it runs well on? I have an old i5 2500k, a 980ti and 16 gigs of RAM. It auto detected everything to very high/ultra at 1440p. I'm not even using current video drivers as they're months old :toot:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 10, 2016

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Running solid Ultra with 60 FPS with i7-4790k and GTX 980 TI. So, while it may not be well-optimized, it's not the sort of thing that stutters no matter the hardware (looking at you, Planetside).

Important program note: People can, to my experience, see you while leaning! Don't expect to be sticking your torso around corners unnoticed.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Oh we talking about what it runs well on? I have an old i5 2500k, a 980ti and 16 gigs of RAM. It auto detected everything to very high/ultra at 1440p. I'm not even using current video drivers as they're months old :toot:

i5 3550, 4 GB 970 GTX, 16 gigs of ram.

I got a mix of high/medium. Frame rate seems inconsistent though, definitely seems like it's dipping to 40. Seeing as I can run Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 at consistent 60 FPS on high/ultra, I think Dishonored 2 is poorly optimized. :(

New nvidia drivers (already running the latest) or a patch to fix, I hope.

Someone on Reddit is saying setting prerendered frames to 1 (rather than automatic) in the nvidia control panel is the trick. I'll try that tomorrow.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

Important program note: People can, to my experience, see you while leaning! Don't expect to be sticking your torso around corners unnoticed.

That's a pretty big change from the first one then. Not sure how I feel about that since that was the main thing that kept me from always spamming dark vision (not being seen while leaning, I mean).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Mooks can notice you but unless they actively know you're there and are attempting to find you, it's pretty generous. You can prairie dog directly into their field of view on normal. But yeah, the awareness bar will creep up if you're visible for a sustained period. I'm not using powers on this run but I'm sure it could make for a decent lure, if you can blink to a position behind their appraoch.

The new rig is an i5 6600k with a GTX 1080 and 32 gigs of DDR4 ram, running at 4k resolution. In large outdoor spaces with water effects and the like, there are some slight slowdowns, but my old computer would have had a much harder time at half the settings.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 10, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bogart posted:

Game runs great on PS4! :shobon:

But... master race

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

But... master race

Can E A T A D I C K

e: Oh, for god's sake. The boat has a painting of Delilah in it. This is going to be how she inevitably...I don't know, abducts Emily into her painted world for the inevitable showdown.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The mouse sensitivity, or at least smoothness, seems to be based on your framerate. That's super not great. I don't want to play this game with a controller but I guess I will if this doesn't get fixed. I like the game so far but the mouse controls are a real bummer. Performance-wise, I am also getting hitches on a gtx 1070. So I guess my post about how they were exaggerating was wrong!

edit: I was able to get the mouse sensitivity to not be so flaky by manually locking my framerate to 60. But man, that's so weird to have it be tied to that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 10, 2016

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I started on Hard with Emily, but I think I will restart on Medium. It feels like on Hard the guard detection goes straight to 'search' if they see a bit of you. I remember even on Hard the original game allowed a bit of wiggle room.

Game runs fine for me on a GTX 970 on Very High but there are some pain points. I may need to turn down a few settings until they release a patch or two.

The game looks great, but considering how optimized iDTech5 was for NuDoom it is a shame optimization is not great at this point.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 10, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pro tip, enemies can see you while you're leaning now. So if you just replayed Dishonored 1 in preparation for this game, that has changed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Welp, was planning on getting a good nights sleep tonight but then I remembered Dishonored 2 so that plan went down the shitter.

Thoughts so far:

Performance is not so good. I'm on a GTX 1060 and, while it's more than playable, I'm generally hovering around 45 fps with significant dips at some parts.

UI for the upgrade screen could be better. Why do I have to click into a tree just to get a description of the powers? Seems like you should be able to just hover.

Game looks amazing and has really incredible environments (no surprise there, after Dishonored 1). I'm like 45 minutes into the non-tutorial stuff and already feel a little overwhelmed by how much there is to see and how many paths are available.

I'm playing as Emily and still getting used to her powers. Far reach is interesting, I don't know that it holds up to Blink in terms of utility, but I like having a different sort of movement option.

Murdering the poo poo out of people still feels really good (also, Emily is excellent at cutting men entirely in half for a 20-something empress).

Overall impressions are very positive. I can't wait to jump back in. For now though I need sleep...

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 10, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Oh and the outsider giving you the option to refuse the mark is a really cool way to encourage a max-difficulty run. Was that an option in the first? Can't remember.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

PantsBandit posted:

Oh and the outsider giving you the option to refuse the mark is a really cool way to encourage a max-difficulty run. Was that an option in the first? Can't remember.

no, it's part of the story. I don't think you can really do a no-magic run in the first one because you have to do it in the tutorial.

:shepface: where is that goddamn patch already!? come on!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Junior Jr. posted:

no, it's part of the story. I don't think you can really do a no-magic run in the first one because you have to do it in the tutorial.

:shepface: where is that goddamn patch already!? come on!

There was an achievement in 1 that required you to not upgrade any magic abilities so you only had the non-upgraded blink. Not an actual story option though.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Any quick performance tips?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I'm not clear how much refusing the mark actually does to the story, but it seems fairly minor right now. The Outsider is still chirping up at me, but when Corvo goes to write in his travel log, he details his jaunt to the Void and writes a little bit about his thoughts on refusing.

I obviously haven't beaten the game yet so maybe there's more at the end but so far it really does just seem like a max-difficulty thing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Coolguye posted:

I'm not clear how much refusing the mark actually does to the story, but it seems fairly minor right now. The Outsider is still chirping up at me, but when Corvo goes to write in his travel log, he details his jaunt to the Void and writes a little bit about his thoughts on refusing.

I obviously haven't beaten the game yet so maybe there's more at the end but so far it really does just seem like a max-difficulty thing.

I doubt it'll make much of a difference really. I never got the impression that the outsider really needed or wanted you to take the mark in the first place, his motivations aren't so simple. He has some interest in the lives of this family (or maybe just enjoys seeing what they can do) so he offers the mark to them as a tool they may find useful.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr. Crow posted:

Any quick performance tips?

Turn off volumetric lighting and turn TXAA down to FXAA first thing. Shadows next. Make sure you're playing with vsync off as well. Other than that, the rest of the sliders are up to you to tweak. If worst comes to worst, try turning down the resolution scale in the main video options menu.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
On an unrelated note, I knocked out a critical NPC by throwing a whiskey glass at her head.

Now I've gotta try this against civilians and guards.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Finished the first real mission.
The game is bloody amazing, I just wish I could play it at 60 fps.

Genocyber posted:

That's a pretty big change from the first one then. Not sure how I feel about that since that was the main thing that kept me from always spamming dark vision (not being seen while leaning, I mean).

The Dark Vision is changed now. It's waaaaay less overpowered now and it also doesn't gently caress with the visuals as much.

Snuffman posted:

Someone on Reddit is saying setting prerendered frames to 1 (rather than automatic) in the nvidia control panel is the trick. I'll try that tomorrow.

This changed the lag from being unplayable to somewhat bearable.

Note that this doesn't raise your fps in any way, it just reduces the amount of lag you feel while under 60 fps.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
This game makes me cranky just the way the first one did, in that no matter how through I think I'm being I still miss a third of the cash in every mission. Playing Emily and her powers are neat but I'm not sure I like them stylistically compared to Corvo, his felt spooky while hers a bit overt for my taste.

Also how the very first mission has the bad guys handle you seems like you would have to be playing Emily.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Game runs great for me, I was going to complain about how even setting the brightness manually leaves the game too dark.... till I realized I was looking at the second-to-last symbol because I'd blacked out the last :sweatdrop:

I thought the ____coup____ right at the start of the game didn't really come across as well as the assassination did in the first game, but everything after gaining control of Emily was great fun.

Edit: Also one of the guards killed his buddy while we were fighting and it counted as me killing somebody :mad:

• Locked thread