Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Typo posted:

She would have lost VA too if she hasn't

VA is gonna be a good state to over analyze for looking at where the problems were. Areas that weren't the typical top of NoVA or Richmond went way red and it's kinda telling if you recognize the demographic, event schedules, and involvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Remember when the Bernie crowd was mercilessly taunted for this exact same drat thing? Clinton was more of a cult leader than Bernie ever was.

I am drowning in schadenfreude right now. Also Ive been up for two days straight because everything is awful and sleep seems horrible at the moment.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Wyld Thang posted:

neither of those won. how exactly was bernie going to help family farming? they're both terrible celebrity ads that don't say anything relatable.

political ad firms are horrible and must be destroyed. trump barely ran any ads in the general and won because hillary ran ads attacking him for months on end.

this is how you get money out of politics.

willie nelson was probably the premier advocate for small farmers in the 80s and 90s. he started Farm Aid. in 2006 (it was for his senate campaign in a rural state which he won massively, so it did win for him) it worked. people that ad was targeting, rural whites, would have known exactly what Willie's support meant, and it wasnt just that he was just a popular country musician.

as for how he would have helped family farms, well

https://berniesanders.com/issues/improving-the-rural-economy/

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
How is the correlation of size of the political war chest to how much polls favored a candidate.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Nonsense posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...62d1_story.html

Burn it all down

They relied on a lovely vote algorithm, and wouldn't release details until after the election, and it was completely wrong. Mook a mook.

Wasn't this the same system they used in 2012 and 2008 though?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

No, that one was called Narwhal

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

this is a pretty good opinion piece on why hillary was a bad candidate and bernie would've won

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/11/10/hillary-clinton-lost-bernie-sanders-could-have-won

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
The more I stew over it, the more I'm sure that, even with all of the Clinton problems baked in, Venom Snake, or me, or most anyone else in this thread could have been a better campaign manager than Robby loving Mook. Of course, maybe Mook wasn't actually making any decisions himself and was just the one who was the designated whisperer to the Great Oracle that was their GOTV computer. Sigh. God what a bunch of bunglers.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Bernie wouldn't have won. biden was probably the only dem who could have done it

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Like I just can't get over this. How does a campaign focusing on GOTV manage to let this happen. This is beyond shocking.

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/796698923670839296

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Condiv posted:

this is a pretty good opinion piece on why hillary was a bad candidate and bernie would've won

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/11/10/hillary-clinton-lost-bernie-sanders-could-have-won

lmao wapo is now shilling for bernie. gently caress everyone at that paper

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I remember asking this question a long, long time ago. Hillary 08 bungled by hiring on lots of sycophants and cronies and yes-men. I wonder if her management skills had improved since then. I was told something to the effect that time changes someone.

Oops.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Shadowhand00 posted:

Media driven but definitely lack of exposure/interaction on the coasts. In California, you never stop and talk to the people who live along highway 5/99 because they're all bumfuck backwards and poo poo.

my wife and i drove to LA from SF and she got stopped in a bathroom and told "you're not allowed to be in here" because she had short hair and was wearing black

then when she said she was a girl the response was "oh, you're one of those trans things" and when the lady's daughter said she might want to apologize the response was "i don't need to apologize to it"

that's my story about driving through red california

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Phobophilia posted:

I remember asking this question a long, long time ago. Hillary 08 bungled by hiring on lots of sycophants and cronies and yes-men. I wonder if her management skills had improved since then. I was told something to the effect that time changes someone.

Oops.

I think that they made a different mistake this time. Instead of an idiotic crony like Penn, who literally didn't know that delegates were allocated proportionally in 2008, but had veto power over every strategic decision, you had a loving pow-wow of Silicon Valley data fetishist consultant types calling the shots by committee. But since everyone was focused on their own little piece of the Get out the loving Vote puzzle, you didn't have anyone pushing a unified, coherent, strategy and message. And then suddenly you underperform in Detroit by Two Hundred Thousand Goddamn Votes and it's off to the races.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Terror Sweat posted:

lmao wapo is now shilling for bernie. gently caress everyone at that paper

wapo sucks indeed and was pure clinton propaganda through the primaries, but freddie deboer rules. he doesnt work there

https://twitter.com/freddiedeboer

https://twitter.com/freddiedeboer/status/796706987925008384

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

wapo sucks indeed and was pure clinton propaganda through the primaries, but freddie deboer rules. he doesnt work there

https://twitter.com/freddiedeboer

https://twitter.com/freddiedeboer/status/796706987925008384

Lol holy poo poo.how?what is the purpose of this tweet?who does it target?WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Oh yeah. This recruiting email they sent me last year still makes me laugh.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
So here's a question, how do we shift the academic left to where it needs to be? Because right now the focus is on race and gender and how everyone that disagrees is a racist sexist that won't acknowledge their privilege, and that's where the next batch of fresh faced young campaign staffers, thinkpiece writers, and everything else is coming from. They're going to make it very hard for Democrats to shift back to being the party of the poor, because that's not even on their radar. Hell, I imagine to them the Trump victory just validates everything they've been told about rural voters.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

Clinton's ads against Trump were never all that effective because it allowed him to play up his "the system is rigged against me" rhetoric to a group of people who also felt like the system was rigged against them, and the constant deluge of negative ads only reinforced that message.

Clinton paid to advertise Trump on a national level for six months. Her ads called him a racist, sexist, xenophobe, etc.

Trump's entire campaign mirrored his supporters, so whenever Hillary insulted him, his supporters perceived it as Hillary insulting THEM. That motivated Trump's supporters to get out the vote and volunteer for him.

Instead of converting people to Hillary's side, her stupid campaign actually paid money to make more Trump supporters.

A business person who deals in day to day business activities like selling actual product in a competitive environment will outperform a stupid lawyer politician in a political race pretty much any day of the week for much less monetary investment.

The stupid lawyer politician always looks like a sleazy divorce or ambulance chasing lawyer in ads anyway, so I hope this means the death of the political ad consulting industry.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Adventure Pigeon posted:

So here's a question, how do we shift the academic left to where it needs to be? Because right now the focus is on race and gender and how everyone that disagrees is a racist sexist that won't acknowledge their privilege, and that's where the next batch of fresh faced young campaign staffers, thinkpiece writers, and everything else is coming from. They're going to make it very hard for Democrats to shift back to being the party of the poor, because that's not even on their radar. Hell, I imagine to them the Trump victory just validates everything they've been told about rural voters.
part of the focus on identity politics was to completely avoid addressing economic issues let alone giving lip service to them

trump had lip service

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

HannibalBarca posted:

Like I just can't get over this. How does a campaign focusing on GOTV manage to let this happen. This is beyond shocking.

The black vote didn't turn out. I'd be interested to see the turnout numbers in southwest Philadelphia in particular for similar reasons.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

triple sulk posted:

The black vote didn't turn out. I'd be interested to see the turnout numbers in southwest Philadelphia in particular for similar reasons.

The weird thing was how she was supposed to be so much better than Bernie with black voters. Maybe it would have been even worse with Bernie. :shrug:

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Phobophilia posted:

Oops.

It's not her management skills. It's that the Democratic party sucks and liberalism is at core a bunch of assholes punching down.

As a party and a political ideology we are the elite. All the richest zip codes, all the richest companies and industries, all blue! And those same zip codes and industries are the ones that destroyed the rest of the country so well off social liberal could do even better. We conduct all of our "good works" in ways that are really about us. Hollywood actors, musicians, fancy catered events, all while patting ourselves for how awesome it is and having a great time.

The very things that well off liberals love about liberalism is why it doesn't loving sell. But without those things liberalism wouldn't be worth it. The party and the urban educated eventually have to come to grips with that. Either give up the pretense of giving a poo poo about people and just live it up while making fun of people and accept the fact that we are the predators and problem with this country.... or give up all the fun, tax the ever loving poo poo out of ourselves, move jobs out of our community, and actual deliver on what we claim to be.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

So a loving Archdruid ended up being smarter than all the Democrats, Goons and Pundits put together. This is from January 20th:

http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com.au/2016/01/donald-trump-and-politics-of-resentment.html

This article makes a lot of good points and breaking things down into capital class / salary class / wage class / welfare class is an interesting way of looking at things. The salary class (of which I am a part) has absolutely stood by and allowed the wage class to be devastated, and we absolutely sneer at the wage classes for loving their religion and their guns and for being "uneducated inbred hicks". We've completely abandoned solidarity with the wage class in exchange for cheap poo poo, which we've used to generate the illusion of increasing wealth instead of dealing with the fact that the capital class has sucked up all the gains of the last half century.

The article is also 100% correct that trump being elected is a good pressure valve, because if HRC won this election all that pent up frustration would be worse by 2020 and it'd very likely be wearing armbands.

Nocturtle posted:

Thank you for reminding me of the failure that was OWS. The largest financial disaster in modern history caused by a reckless elite and Clinton-Bush era deregulation was a great opportunity to build a movement dedicated towards addressing economic inequality. It was completely wasted, and I can't think of a single concrete accomplishments that came from the occupations. What laws were passed? Who got primaried? Maybe it contributed to Obama's 2008 landslide victory (didn't help much in 2010).

Progressives failed to effectively organize following the 2008 crisis, which doesn't inspire much hope that the rise of Trump will finally spur people to action. My pet theory is that the left still hasn't recovered from the demise of organized labor, and there are no national organizations or movements through which progressives can organize and co-ordinate political action (aside from the Democrat party itself). If the DNC truly has given up maybe the party can be rebuilt with an explicitly progressive focus, I guess we'll see. More likely the existing party leadership will try to find an Obama-clone and hope charisma wins the 2020 election (this actually worked for the Canadian liberals in 2015).

OWS failed because the 2008 election already acted as a pressure valve to release frustration. Here's a huge loving shocker - protesting the system when your guy is in charge isn't going to catch on. It also happened like 3 years after the financial crash.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MysteriousStranger posted:

Either give up the pretense of giving a poo poo about people and just live it up while making fun of people and accept the fact that we are the predators and problem with this country.... or give up all the fun, tax the ever loving poo poo out of ourselves, move jobs out of our community, and actual deliver on what we claim to be.
the former was the GOP strategy the last 30 years and it had diminishing returns as people got poorer and corporatists thought the effect of diminishing returns would slough off if they picked the other party :kiddo:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

triple sulk posted:

i wonder why

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Lol holy poo poo.how?what is the purpose of this tweet?who does it target?WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

It means "these people are the dumbest shits on the planet and don't trust them with anything more than putting together a maximum 50 piece picture puzzle."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/freddiedeboer/status/796718450945232897

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It's not her management skills. It's that the Democratic party sucks and liberalism is at core a bunch of assholes punching down.

her vp pick was done not because he would help her win, but because of a favor. her management skills are poo poo. shes spent the past 20 years turning the dnc into a party of yes men and shills who are convinced of their own superiority. gently caress em all

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/freddiedeboer/status/796717089394401280

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Venom Snake posted:

The biggest political movement this forum had lately was the Bernie thread and I dunno if those players are up for it again. Personally we should all do our best to volunteer and campaign.

:(

Im fuckin ready. Tell me how I can help right now and ill do it.

I only know how to do the peon poo poo. Campaign, protest, volunteer.

What can I do now. Volunteering and campaigning isnt until late 2017. What do we do now.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

It's worth remembering that Bloomberg threatened a 3rd party run if Bernie became the nominee (ie essentially threatening to hand the election to the Republicans). There will absolutely be a lot of resistance to progressives taking control of the Democrat party.

I feel like Bloomberg wouldn't even get 10% at this point because he is just that much of an rear end in a top hat and his policies would satisfy no one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Adventure Pigeon posted:

this. this is what i have been saying (and got a red text for). Personaly, i think alot of these people will be tossed to the side quick as gently caress, espicaly since most of them are having colossial meltdowns on twitter and alot of the dems i know are blaming them partly for the loss. if the dems are smart, they will toss these clowns and the assholish dickishness they have, but try to keep their core message.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

HannibalBarca posted:

so here's a thing I'm not getting in this thread:

- When all votes are counted, Trump is gonna have about the same total as Romney, maybe a little less. Hillary will have 5-6M less than Obama.
- It looks like millions of people who voted for Obama sat this one out. Trump is president because he took MI, PA, WI on small margins with depressed turnout.
- Trump was able to turn out the white working class in both primary and general by being the only candidate who made appeals to them. A lot of that appeal is either unworkable, lip service, or both.
- even if Trump is genuinely gonna push that populist platform as president, he's got to get an agenda of 'gently caress free trade', protectionism, and ripping up trade agreements past Ryan and the still mostly neoliberal GOP establishment.

is any of that wrong? because it seems to be the generally accepted narrative of Hillary's loss, but the conclusion i'm seeing from a lot of people itt is 'all is lost, we called non-urban whites racist and now they all belong to the republicans forever, nothing can fix this, we're doomed, we're doomed'. like, am i a dumb optimist for thinking that it's too early to conclude winning in 2020 is an impossible pipe dream? what am i missing?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

prefect posted:

The weird thing was how she was supposed to be so much better than Bernie with black voters. Maybe it would have been even worse with Bernie. :shrug:

I expect it would, not necessarily due to any fault of Bernie. The loss in black vote might have been offset by a more enthused youth vote though so it's really a wash at this point since we don't know how a general electorate would have responded to hearing about a tax increase.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

part of the focus on identity politics was to completely avoid addressing economic issues let alone giving lip service to them

trump had lip service

And that's going to have to change, but it won't unless academia changes. Rural white voters aren't going away, they're going to get poorer and angrier, and their numbers will be bolstered as the elites keep looting the country.

The academic left needs to change. It produced people that not only thought like this:

but would call anyone who said things like that were horribly lovely racist and privileged and all the other jargon that drove voters away. The academic left produced a wall of gatekeepers that prevented the higher ups from hearing reason, and that's going to have to change real fast.

To be honest, I don't know if the academic left can be fixed until the college bubble finally explodes, because right now it looks like they're doubling down.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I still wonder how much October Comey Surprise into play, per demographic.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:cripes:

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

As a party and a political ideology we are the elite. All the richest zip codes, all the richest companies and industries, all blue! And those same zip codes and industries are the ones that destroyed the rest of the country so well off social liberal could do even better. We conduct all of our "good works" in ways that are really about us. Hollywood actors, musicians, fancy catered events, all while patting ourselves for how awesome it is and having a great time.

The very things that well off liberals love about liberalism is why it doesn't loving sell. But without those things liberalism wouldn't be worth it. The party and the urban educated eventually have to come to grips with that. Either give up the pretense of giving a poo poo about people and just live it up while making fun of people and accept the fact that we are the predators and problem with this country.... or give up all the fun, tax the ever loving poo poo out of ourselves, move jobs out of our community, and actual deliver on what we claim to be.

You actually get why the Democratic party is dead for the next twenty years, because they already chose "call everyone a racist shitbird" path to destruction, and actually doubling down on it with these mass violent protests.

Maybe Hillary, Obama, or California's newly minted Senator should go to Oakland and feed their loyal masses some cookies to calm them down. Oh wait, the Democratic party doesn't actually care about their people and prefer to burn down the whole country after they took all that money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Apraxin posted:

so here's a thing I'm not getting in this thread:

- When all votes are counted, Trump is gonna have about the same total as Romney, maybe a little less. Hillary will have 5-6M less than Obama.
- It looks like millions of people who voted for Obama sat this one out. Trump is president because he took MI, PA, WI on small margins with depressed turnout.

These are the two things I'm most focusing on. I'm not really concerned about the ideological battle that some other posters are going about in this thread. I'm too exhausted for that right now. What I'm looking at here, is that there was a machine. The machine broke down, or maybe never worked at all. And Robby Mook and all the technicians responsible for making the machine run were massive, massive failures.

What this means for 2020, I don't know. But, as it stands right now, there don't seem to be many plausible standard-bearers. I was lukewarm on Sanders in the primary, but it's clear that we need someone with his energy right now. I just wish he was 15 years younger.

• Locked thread