Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
clinton's whole strat was basically to counter expected drop in AA turnout by driving up turnout+margins with hispanics and women: what she ended up with was more or less the 2012 Obama coalition but weaker and much much worse distributed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

MaxxBot posted:

I apologize if this has been rehashed many times but I need some better explanation of this.

IA 2012

IA 2016

So far people have said "white people" but Iowa isn't a rust belt state and is relatively educated, and that is a HUGE difference. The state went from Dem +6 to Rep +10 in the course of one election, that's a loving huge swing.

nearly 175,000 fewer voted for hillary than voted for obama, which basically explains the swing

trump by comparison picked up 60,000 voters over romney, and still had 30,000 fewer than obama. accounting for third party candidates that means that around a hundred thousand 2012 voters simply didn't turn out for 2016, and those that did turn out were mostly republican voters.

nah thanks has issued a correction as of 01:13 on Nov 11, 2016

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

squidgee posted:

nearly 175,000 fewer voted for hillary than voted for obama, which basically explains the swing

trump by comparison picked up 60,000 voters over romney, and still had 30,000 fewer than obama

Obama :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

So far people have said "white people" but Iowa isn't a rust belt state and is relatively educated, and that is a HUGE difference. The state went from Dem +6 to Rep +10 in the course of one election, that's a loving huge swing.

It's not difficult. People in that state have not seen their lives or opportunities improve since the recession "ended". That's how we got President Trump: In most of the country, the recession is still ongoing. People are still trapped in illegal loans on their upside-down homes and drowning in student debt. Jobs have bounced back but at much lower wages. They can't leave, they can barely make it to the next paycheck, and Hillary's message was that everything is better now. Trump's message was that it isn't.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

"excoriating bernie supporters during the primary seemed like a good idea at the time, wait why are you victimizing me" :qq:

Attacking supporters of Trump was a good idea as well.

At least Bernie was always good at focusing on issues, while not resorting petty attacks or talking down to supporters of his opponent.

Meanwhile Yaas queen attacked him for supporting single payer and also coordinated with Correct the Record to send smear attacks agaisnt him.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

That's been my take on the election, Obama's popularity basically masked the fact that people hate the Dems or don't care enough about them to turn out to vote.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Is rural New Jersey actually a real place even?

Edit: What is this guy even going after? Is it just "don't blame the elites for loving this up, please, I'm one of them"?

it's literally nowhere near as hidebound as this idiot is suggesting also not nearly as poor and backwards as this guy suggests.
lots of opioids though

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

MaxxBot posted:

That's been my take on the election, Obama's popularity basically masked the fact that people hate the Dems or don't care enough about them to turn out to vote.

2012 Obama: I saved the car factories that's y u still have a job

2012 Romney: Let detroit go bankrupt

White working class: ok......I guess maybe we'll go for Obama in significant enough minority to hand him the win

2016:

Trump: I'll bring bak the jobs

Hillary: don't u see Trump is a russian plant

White working class: who the gently caress cares Trump *click*

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Sitting at a wings place, table next to me is talking about currency manipulation and how we need to talk about "CHINA" and not "Lady GAGA". This is suburban Atlanta, by the way. Sort of an indictment of the Clinton campaign.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Typo posted:

coastal liberal elites sneering calling everyone who live in a small town redneck racist misogynist homophobes is unfortunately a lot closer to the truth than I'm comfortable with

Would they be equally comfortable with me, a straight white man, calling every black person anything? Or would they insist that while there are trends within demographic groups, they are not a homogenous entity that you can just label and forget?

To be fair I agree with you, the label is more accurate than I'd like but anytime I hear the word "everyone" used to describe a group, that's a signal to me that whomever is saying it doesn't know poo poo about whomever it is they're about to poo poo on.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

HannibalBarca posted:

Sitting at a wings place, table next to me is talking about currency manipulation and how we need to talk about "CHINA" and not "Lady GAGA". This is suburban Atlanta, by the way. Sort of an indictment of the Clinton campaign.

weird how the campaign that ran on issues instead of celebrity endorsements and woke nerds jerking themselves over the Rapidly Approaching Oppo Drop managed to win bigly

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

you know what's hosed up? the planned parenthood pac brought about the certain destruction of planned parenthood by interfering with the primary

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Fullhouse posted:

weird how the campaign that ran on issues instead of celebrity endorsements and woke nerds jerking themselves over the Rapidly Approaching Oppo Drop managed to win bigly

Oh my god the loving oppo drop. Time to find Rick Wilson's house and firebomb it.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Condiv posted:

you know what's hosed up? the planned parenthood pac brought about the certain destruction of planned parenthood by interfering with the primary

Same thing with the HRC, but unlike PP they are a garbage organization that deserves to be destroyed.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

lmao

the ultimate

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Condiv posted:

Bernie didn't support women unlike Hillary.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

i've started working on the spreadsheet for DNC committee members and will post it when I've got the state party chairs and seconds and keep updating it the other categories

Deimus
Aug 17, 2012

Typo posted:

2012 Obama: I saved the car factories that's y u still have a job

2012 Romney: Let detroit go bankrupt

White working class: ok......I guess maybe we'll go for Obama in significant enough minority to hand him the win

Dude, the auto bailout loving sucked and really only helped the capitalists/shareholders who owned it by a gigantic proportion.

Deimus has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Nov 11, 2016

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

HannibalBarca posted:

Now they're talking about the relative attractiveness of all the women involved in the campaign, so, you know, maybe these people are just insufferable.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Zikan posted:

i've started working on the spreadsheet for DNC committee members and will post it when I've got the state party chairs and seconds and keep updating it the other categories

Doing God's work.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Deimus posted:

Dude, the auto bailout loving sucked and really only helped the capitalists/shareholders who owned it.

yeah yeah sure explain that to working class people in OH/MI

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Burnie wouldn't have won because Burnie was no more willing to tell lies and sell dreams than Hillary was.

the only way to win is to lie to white people

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zikan posted:

Thanks so much for doing this.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't hate the rust belt for rust belt for grabbing on to lies but I'm disappointed in them for not seeing through it and also Hillary for ignoring them.

Blughggh

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

*laughs bernishly*

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the american people haven't had the education necessary to discern lies from truth and never will

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

NecroMonster posted:

Burnie wouldn't have won because Burnie was no more willing to tell lies and sell dreams than Hillary was.

the only way to win is to lie to white people

Hillfolk were accusing him of doing just that during the primary.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/hillary-clinton-aides-loss-blame-231215

quote:

At Brooklyn headquarters on Wednesday, Podesta expressed his gratitude and support for the team, and for Mook. “We have the number one campaign manager,” he said, in a staff-wide gathering in the afternoon. "I've been doing this since 1968 and I've never seen a culture and a spirit like we created in this campaign.” On the conference call with thousands of staff across the country, Clinton also called in and thanked her team for their dedication.

Mook tried to end the campaign on a high note.

“What you've created is going to live on,” he told his troops. “Leaders all over this country, local networks around the nation, future candidates who are going to step forward. Someone in this room is going to manage a presidential campaign one day."

This is physically painful to read. gently caress all of these people.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

those that have the education lack the decency to put it to proper use because everyone lacks an education in decency in this country, capitalist consumerism has no room for decency after all

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

oh i'm aware of the irony here

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah I really hate to say it as a technocratic introvert nerd but.

To win the Presidency as a Dem you need to be a charismatic celebrity that's willing to use some hyperbolic rhetoric, turnout is absolutely crucial and you need to be a rockstar that can bring people to the polls like Obama. That probably won't result in the ideologically best or most competent candidate but none of that poo poo matters if you can never win and you also can't even bring out turnout for down ballot races.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

The Kingfish posted:

as it turns out the hillfolks were selling the ultimate fantasy: that hillary rodham clinton could win a general election

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

The Kingfish posted:

and the entire neoliberal media
remember when this poo poo happened http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-the-new-york-times-sandbagged-bernie-sanders-20160315

quote:

First, as noted in the Medium piece, they changed the headline. It went from:
Bernie Sanders Scored Victories for Years Via Legislative Side Doors
to:
Via Legislative Side Doors, Bernie Sanders Won Modest Victories
Then they yanked a quote from Bernie's longtime policy adviser Warren Gunnels that read, "It has been a very successful strategy."
They then added the following two paragraphs:
"But in his presidential campaign Mr. Sanders is trying to scale up those kinds of proposals as a national agenda, and there is little to draw from his small-ball legislative approach to suggest that he could succeed.
"Mr. Sanders is suddenly promising not just a few stars here and there, but the moon and a good part of the sun, from free college tuition paid for with giant tax hikes to a huge increase in government health care, which has made even liberal Democrats skeptical."

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Pomp posted:

I don't hate the rust belt for rust belt for grabbing on to lies but I'm disappointed in them for not seeing through it and also Hillary for ignoring them.

Blughggh
why should they be glad for the champion of nafta and tpp and permanent normalized trade relations with china

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HannibalBarca posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/hillary-clinton-aides-loss-blame-231215

This is physically painful to read. gently caress all of these people.

“They are saying they did nothing wrong, which is ridiculous,” said one Clinton surrogate. “She was the wrong messenger and everyone misjudged how pissed working class people were.”

As the reality of a Trump presidency began to set in on Thursday, there was a growing sick sense among longtime Clinton allies and advisers that the aide who long ago advised the former secretary of state against mounting a second presidential bid, Cheryl Mills, may have been right. In interviews with close to a dozen top Clinton allies and former operatives, who did not want to publicly criticize the losing campaign or candidate, many expressed a deep frustration that the party had pinned its hopes on a divisive establishment candidate and failed to fully embrace the reality that despite President Barack Obama’s soaring approval rating, 2016 was ultimately a change election.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I really hate to say it as a technocratic introvert nerd but.

To win the Presidency as a Dem you need to be a charismatic celebrity that's willing to use some hyperbolic rhetoric, turnout is absolutely crucial and you need to be a rockstar that can bring people to the polls like Obama. That probably won't result in the ideologically best or most competent candidate but none of that poo poo matters if you can never win and you also can't even bring out turnout for down ballot races.

"Republicans are always looking for the next Reagan; Democrats are always looking for the next JFK."

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Karl Barks posted:

i work for a uni and the dean sent out an email that said this election is proof we need to focus more on educating people. good poo poo.
this nauseating patronizing attitude reeks from her supporters to the candidate herself

Deimus
Aug 17, 2012

Typo posted:

yeah yeah sure explain that to working class people in OH/MI

Their wages were cut in half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Deimus posted: