Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just used a hacksaw to cut a corner off of the lid. Worked fine, and I just used some foil to seal the gaps if I was doing a long or particularly hot cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Assuming the circulator is keeping the water at the desired temperature, does a good sealreally even matter?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ciaphas posted:

Assuming the circulator is keeping the water at the desired temperature, does a good sealreally even matter?

Seal helps maintain temp, but also reduces evaporation (more important on long cooks).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ciaphas posted:

Reduced evaporation is a plus. Also not worrying that your circulator might fall in is nice. My Anova fits in the hole and rests on the plastic ring, I don't even need or use my clamp bit anymore.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hah, didn't think about evaporation. I've only done short cooks, nothing long enough where the falling water level would actually be relevant :v:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just saw I received an email with a 80 USD off coupon for an Anova precision cooker valid until the 12. of November. If anyone wants to use it feel free to, I have no use for it as I already own the Anova.

quote:

Holiday Special, Just for Customers

Seasons Greetings, Food Nerds!

We want to make sure our customers get early access to our best deal of the year. So, we're giving our beloved food nerds an early start on the holiday season with a promo built just for you. Here's what you need to know:
• This promotion is being sent to you because you're on our list of customers and we want to make sure that you receive your Anova before gift giving season
• This promotion is NOT being offered to anyone outside this customer list
• You get $80 USD off the Anova Precision Cooker
• This will be the BEST deal of the season
• You are being offered a unique code, which works for 1 item
This deal expires November 12th, 2016
Here's your unique coupon code:

b22e28ff74e3-972b458f

Copy & paste your unique discount code at checkout
on https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hopper posted:

I just saw I received an email with a 80 USD off coupon for an Anova precision cooker valid until the 12. of November. If anyone wants to use it feel free to, I have no use for it as I already own the Anova.

alas, expired. thanks tho!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Expired or lurked? Maybe an A nova owner on here can send you theirs, we all got one I guess.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I own an Anova and did not receive this email

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I too own an anova and did not get that email. Which is unfortunate seeing as how mine (original Anova One from the initial launch run) just blew its fuse and melted/caught on fire during a cook.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sextro posted:

I too own an anova and did not get that email. Which is unfortunate seeing as how mine (original Anova One from the initial launch run) just blew its fuse and melted/caught on fire during a cook.

You unlocked the searing feature

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

uhhhh how bad was the fire? I don't want my dog to die.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Not bad at all, if I hadn't been looking at it when it happened I never would have noticed and just thought the plug/power area had melted from the fuse blowing.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well I already own a Wifi Anova, maybe that's why. They know I am likely not to upgrade mine but instead to generate a new customer for them through gifting. Clever marketing that.
Then again, I am in Germany, bought through their European store and got discount voucher in USD for this next purchase... not so clever.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thanks to the thread btw. Preheated my cast iron skillet in the oven and it made searing the steaks even easier. Similar great char and less fiddly then heating 100% on the stove.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What makes heating a skillet in the oven before putting it on the stove betterthan letting it sit on the stove?

Do you put oil (spray or otherwise) on before or afterputting it in theoven?

(edit: my god this spacebar sucks)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
My oven can get up to like 500F, my stove can't get anywhere near that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it's more even

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

b22e28ff74e3-7f75fft5

Valid until the 12th, so go get em.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Isn't that more or less the point of cast iron, that it conducts heats evenly overall?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I always thought cast iron heated unevenly, but it held onto more heat once it got to temperature than say aluminum. That's why it takes longer to heat up and get an even heat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

Isn't that more or less the point of cast iron, that it conducts heats evenly overall?

Iron doesn't distribute heat very well on the stove because iron doesn't distribute heat well in the first place and the stove is very localized heat. Heating it in the oven mitigates that because hot air will hit all parts of the skillet.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Jeoh posted:

b22e28ff74e3-7f75fft5

Valid until the 12th, so go get em.

Someone snaked this one. Was going to wait for Joule but with all of the issues they're having I'm over it, especially with a promo this sweet.

If anyone's got an extra one of these promo codes (assuming they keep running the promo and extend the date), I'll throw ya some clams via PayPal or whatever you like.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Iron doesn't distribute heat very well on the stove because iron doesn't distribute heat well in the first place and the stove is very localized heat. Heating it in the oven mitigates that because hot air will hit all parts of the skillet.

Well guess I've been dead loving wrong all this time. Never tried the oven skillet method. Guess I've got an excuse to pick up a rib-eye tonight.

So oil up, heat in oven at 450+, put on stove at high heat, sear as normal? Does that work at all for uneven stuff like chicken breasts or am I just gonna end up with alternately burned and unseared skin?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well I never use the oven, I just slowly heat the pan at low heat at first while I prep my food such as side dishes etc. then before I drop the steak in turn it up to high heat until the oils smokes.

But I am sure both methods are valid and probably produce similar results.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Ciaphas posted:

Well guess I've been dead loving wrong all this time.

It works just fine on lots of stovetops, you know. Electric coils are pretty even if large enough, as is induction. Unless you have actual problems searing things on the range, this is just a solution in search of a problem.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

More that I've always been / considered myself inept at cooking, and cooking meats especially, so any new understanding makes me question myself :v:

(which is why this whole SV fad has been nice for me, get better results than I would otherwise almost no matter what. 'specially boneless skinless chicken)

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Does that work at all for uneven stuff like chicken breasts or am I just gonna end up with alternately burned and unseared skin?

Things only brown when they're in contact with the pan, so it won't help your chicken breast skin. What I do is rip the skin off and fry it like bacon. It looks weird because you end up with a flat piece of crispy skin, but whatever.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ciaphas posted:

Not really. Cast iron has a really big heat capacity, so it doesn't change temperature rapidly so it won't cool down when you put food in it. But it's not a great thermal conductor, so it can easily develop hot spots. The trick is to heat is long enough for it all the come to equilibrium.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That is actually interesting, thanks. I wonder how I got that backwards.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

If I'm searing a steak (always gotta be a thick ribeye), I throw my cast iron in the oven at 500 and let it hang out in there while I post / do prep / cleanse the kitchen from last night's steak.

I cook a lot of steaks.

Tie up a sprig of thyme with butcher's twine, roast some garlic while the cast iron heats (don't burn it) -- or better yet, roast garlic ahead of time and melt some butter and combine the two in an ice cube tray and freeze. Baste the steak in these things after searing the first side. Also remember to make some slits in one side of the steak before cooking so that it doesn't curl up. Finish in the oven at 350.

Also, reverse searing also owns for hella thick steaks.

gently caress, sorry for derailing. I love steak and cast iron.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

That is actually interesting, thanks. I wonder how I got that backwards.

It's a pretty common misconception.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

See myth #2.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Has anyone done their Thanksgiving turkey sous vide?

I saw a recipe on chef steps that finished on the grill that sounds quite nice. I'm mainly interested because this leaves my oven open for all the other dishes and would greatly simplify trying to get everything on the table at the correct time.
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/epic-grilled-turkey-with-amazing-ribs-meathead-goldwyn

Epiphyte fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 14, 2016

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'm planning to do a turkey breast sous vide this year. I did a turkey breast on the grill with indirect coals and a bag of wood chips and it came out drat good. The texture was different than in the oven, a little more pork like, but the flavor was so good. I brined it with Alton Brown's turkey brine which was likely the difference in texture. I probably want to back the brine time down a bit since it is just a breast.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
My plan is to do the breasts turchetta style and try to confit the legs. Also going to make a side of SV carrots so I can spend as little time as possible actually cooking on thanksgiving.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Epiphyte posted:

Yes, did a turkey porchetta off of a breast alone last year. Kenji loves his salt, be careful. Other than that, if you screw up the skin it's OK, just leave it off. My plan this year is to vide the breasts while roasting the thighs and wings.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Epiphyte posted:

I saw a recipe on chef steps that finished on the grill that sounds quite nice. I'm mainly interested because this leaves my oven open for all the other dishes and would greatly simplify trying to get everything on the table at the correct time.
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/epic-grilled-turkey-with-amazing-ribs-meathead-goldwyn

I did the Serious Eats SV Deep Fried Turkey Porchetta last year.
Was a bit messy, but was amazing and 0 leftovers.

If I do it this year, I'm going to meatglue the skin back on.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Serious Eats Sous Vide Turchetta is indeed the bomb.

I take the dark quarters and smoke them on Thanksgiving (and fill the empty space in my smoker with sweet potatoes).

I do the breast Turchetta style in advance and deep fry to both reheat and crisp the skin (I used to do straight up fried turkeys and frying the turchetta is better in every way).

Also y'all should be making sous vide cranberry sauce. Its easy to do in advance and you just need to know to control the texture by how many berries you burst or mash when heating at the end.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Serious Eats sous vide turkey breast is also extremely easy and people love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I actually did the turchetta for dinner tonight. Started yesterday afternoon and let it sit, bagged the fridge overnight before putting it in the bath this afternoon.

Really, really tasty. Messy and a good bit of work, but worth definitely doing as a project or special occasion meal. Having done it once, I think the whole skin removal and rolling will be easier next time.