Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

packetmantis posted:

Eschaton is a biblical thing, not a reference to obscure nerd novels you dumbass.

Well then how do you explainnnNNNNN???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
So... the history about the maze that Teddy said

quote:

The maze itself is the sum of a man's life...

Choices he makes, dreams he hangs on to.

And there at the center, there's a legendary man who had been killed over and over again countless times, but always clawed his way back to life

The man returned for the last time and vanquished all his oppressors in a tireless fury.

He built a house. Around that house he built a maze so complicated, only he could navigate through it.

That plus the "The maze is not for you" and the voice commands being broadcasted to old models makes it pretty explicit that the maze was something Arnold developed as a way for the hosts to achieve sentience. Wonder if when they'll introduce some kind of twist

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 10, 2016

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

packetmantis posted:

Eschaton is a biblical thing, not a reference to obscure nerd novels you dumbass.

So it is definately what you say? Based on what? I base it on the balance of probabilities that this is a Sci Fi show about robots that delights in making obscure references, not a show about the bible. It could be either.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Oh, this is definitely a show about the bible, though. No irony.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I stand corrected.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Collateral posted:

I noticed Ford (or Hopkins) was wearing contact lens. His cornea looked very strange in closeups.

I'm pretty sure that's just arcus senilis but I did notice it, too.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eschatology

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
This show has lovely writing and contrived plot devices, but it also has great production values and Anthony Hopkins.

Guess I'll keep watching.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also a conservative ideologue used the phrase memorably 50 years ago to trash liberals, it's pretty much the modern origin of the phrase.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Collateral posted:

So it is definately what you say? Based on what? I base it on the balance of probabilities that this is a Sci Fi show about robots that delights in making obscure references, not a show about the bible. It could be either.
More like it's a JJ Abrams show so it could be either. He likes obscure nerd references and he likes biblical allegories.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Also a conservative ideologue used the phrase memorably 50 years ago to trash liberals, it's pretty much the modern origin of the phrase.

Because obscure political burns are more widely known than the bible.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Because obscure political burns are more widely known than the bible.

First I didn't say it is more widely known, only that Vogle (the writer) is responsible for introducing it into modern parlance.

Phrases come from crazy places, and for this one, that's the source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanentize_the_eschaton

Thousands of people screamed it in a march on Washington, and it became a political slogan for a fractious conservative fraction that eventually turned into the neo conservatives we know and love today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Americans_for_Freedom

History is fun!

EDIT:

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 10, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

This reads like they're only upset they didn't get to do it.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
https://twitter.com/WestworldHBO/status/796818983508840448
Delores
Delors
Delos

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

aaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha

quote:

that's not how you spell it!!!

That's some cool acting in Teddy's eyes though, like he's being commanded by his programming, or he can always just "locate" her wherever she is.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

bring back old gbs posted:

That's some cool acting in Teddy's eyes though, like he's being commanded by his programming, or he can always just "locate" her wherever she is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcNXq5DUZnk

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Show finalé spoilers:
The robots are running away from a horde of angry humans with pitchforks and knives. Another robot with the power of time travel or whatever shouts to Dolores, "De-low res!". In a final act of sacrifice, Dolores increases the resolution on the TV's surrounding them to distract the humans with the stunning high definition of Minions 34. Unfortunately this also bled into the past which caused Dolores to constantly shout nothing but "Delores!" back when she was first being beta tested. This bug is quickly fixed by the techs but they remain baffled to what was causing it in the first place.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Dolores, not Delores.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

packetmantis posted:

It can be both.

Though congrats on being the first person I've ever seen conflate "hippie drug novel" with "nerd novel".

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Junkfist posted:

Delores
Delors
Delos

Nobody has made this misinformed post multiple times before.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I was referring to Singularity Sky, not Illuminatus!, which should be required reading for everyone. (I've read both and love Stross a lot but I have no illusions about the likeliness of mainstream TV shows to reference him.)

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Dolores Abernathy is an anagram of Teary Ho, Delos Barn.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Avril Lavigne posted:

Dolores Abernathy is an anagram of Teary Ho, Delos Barn.

Teary Ho clearly refers to Maeve, and Delos Barn is Ford's black church.

You're definitely onto something.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008
I thought Maeve was short for Ma Eve, or the biblical Mother of us all, Eve. Also William is clearly a reference to Will I Am, as in I think therefore Will I Am. Proof he's clearly a host that's found the maze and "passed" it, finding freedom. Now he's back for Teary Ho, Delos Barn, his true love.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Well, yeah, the production team decided to go with 2 different spellings, similar to the logos. Legos.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
And Ted-E is the wall-e made for a TED talk demo

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

kimbo305 posted:

Well, yeah, the production team decided to go with 2 different spellings, similar to the logos. Legos.

Legos
Gelos
Gelo
Jell-O

As in the Jell-O from Jurassic Park, Westworld is on the same island as the original Jurassic Park!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dolores
Dolor
Do
Dona
Donald Trump is the 45th President of the United States

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

There were two timelines all along, we just never realized one would be our own.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Timeline 1: Delores
Timeframe 2: Dolores

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kinda neat that people are doing anagrams with Delos but nobody has noted that it's named after a major ancient greek holy place where the gods Apollo and Artemis were born.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Kinda neat that people are doing anagrams with Delos but nobody has noted that it's named after a major ancient greek holy place where the gods Apollo and Artemis were born.
Also where no mortal was allowed to be born or die (for religious purity reasons), but yeah, it's been brought up a couple times.

Another nifty thing is how the man in the maze looks a bit like a stylized depiction of Orion when flipped upside down.

Nill fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 11, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Arglebargle III posted:

Partly (at least for me) cuz it was in the original movie, so can't give the new production the same amount of credit for applying mythology to the storyline.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So was this a confirmation that Ford is a bot? Since a normal person shouldn't be having fond childhood memories of postwar England in a show set a number of decades into the future.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So was this a confirmation that Ford is a bot? Since a normal person shouldn't be having fond childhood memories of postwar England in a show set a number of decades into the future.
Perhaps alternate history medicine advanced faster and allowed for drastically increased lifespans?

Though the simpler answer is that the bots were styled to be more representative of late 1800's England to fit the period of the rest of the park.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Ugh, the MUSIC is so fuckin good,

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Ugh, the MUSIC is so fuckin good,

I know a lot of people were saying the anachronistic music choices were to make the Wild West seem more "contemporary" to guests, but I wonder if it's more like the show is set at least 100 years after 1990 which is where most (all?) of the piano songs come from. The reason the piano has songs from the 90s is that to the people of Westworld's time the 90s is the distant past. It's as alien to them as the 1800s are to us now.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

ruddiger posted:

Timeline 1: Delores
Timeframe 2: Dolores

So we are now entering Berenstain/Berenstein territories here?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Nill posted:

Though the simpler answer is that the bots were styled to be more representative of late 1800's England to fit the period of the rest of the park.
Could be this. Ford said they were an idealised version of his family, maybe the setting is idealised too.

That cottage is basically the English version of Abernathy's ranch. It's something straight out of Enid Blyton or James Herriot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nill posted:

Another nifty thing is how the man in the maze looks a bit like a stylized depiction of Orion when flipped upside down.

hmmm. so you're saying a stylized depiction of a man looks like another stylized depiction of a man? i'm not seeing it

• Locked thread