Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Today I learned Discount Tire has increased the price of their road hazard certificates to $14.50. :sigh:

I probably have a bit to do with that. I think this makes 4 claims in the past year alone for me. The last time was on a brand new tire with under 1k. This time it was a decently worn tire with about 20k - down to 6/32.

Also, I'm going to set a new sobriety date of 11/11. Sick of the grip alcohol has on me. And I was back to being physically addicted again. Found a doctor willing to work with me without hospitalizing me to get me through the withdrawal (though I did get booted to the ER for a bit because of my blood pressure and dehydration). Blood work actually wasn't bad, aside from elevated liver counts.

Fingers crossed I can stay the gently caress away from the poo poo. Aside from nausea and sweating, I feel a shitload better, and my blood pressure is way down - it was 183/102 at the hospital. 128/91 a few minutes ago.

freelop posted:

Speaking of old consoles I picked up a dreamcast today and I'm impressed at how well it holds up.

Spent a couple of hours playing legacy of kain

You'll want to open it up and remove the battery if it's leaking. You'll have to reset the date/time after every power up afterwards, but you're probably doing that by now anyway, but the battery will eventually corrode the poo poo out of it if it leaks. If it's not leaking, it's just an annoyance with having to reset the date/time all the time.

Better yet is to put in a working battery. But it trickle charges the battery whenever it's on, so a typical coin cell won't work (even though the original is a coin cell.. but it's a rechargeable one - you can get rechargeable ones, but they're stupid expensive). Easiest and cheapest fix is to solder in a holder for 2 AAA nicad batteries.

Tomarse posted:

You bastard, you made me get my dreamcast out!. I just spent 2 hours playing Rez and now my hands hurt (dreamcast controllers suck and all mine appear to be dead other than one with a broken analog stick)

I too have Rez.

And two fully functional Dreamcasts. :smug: Lost most of my controllers though.

I need to get a CRT TV for my consoles. Have a NES, SNES, and the Dreamcasts. They really look terrible on my LCD, whereas CRTs are cheap/free. I think I may even still have an old 4->1 RCA input selector somewhere!

Also need to remember how to burn Dreamcasts :filez: to CDs. I have a massive file somewhere with hundreds of games. Unfortunately most of my games have been lost over the years, I only have a few left.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

N64 looks like garbage on modern TVs because of the way they did the models and how it was designed to look good on the TVs of the time :(

Craigslist is full of free CRT TVs. Problem solved.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Just spent three hours watching sprint cars practice.

Best Wednesday night.

https://youtu.be/QtYDsC00law

drat I have got to make it down to Knoxville for the Sprint Car Nationals next year.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Good luck STR. We're rooting for you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I need to get a CRT TV for my consoles. Have a NES, SNES, and the Dreamcasts. They really look terrible on my LCD, whereas CRTs are cheap/free. I think I may even still have an old 4->1 RCA input selector somewhere!

See if you can find one with at least s-video, it's such a massive upgrade over composite video.

And the best of luck on getting sober. We love you, dude :)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

mariooncrack posted:

KozmoNaut posted:

And the best of luck on getting sober. We love you, dude :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

angryhampster posted:

drat I have got to make it down to Knoxville for the Sprint Car Nationals next year.

If you do let me know, I haven't gone to a dirt track race in years

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I too have Rez.

Also need to remember how to burn Dreamcasts :filez: to CDs. I have a massive file somewhere with hundreds of games. Unfortunately most of my games have been lost over the years, I only have a few left.

Rez is an awesome game :)

I've got one very beaten up controller with a broken stick but working buttons, and one controller that looks perfect and beeps when you plug it in but doesn't register any button presses or the VMU. Dammit.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

Yeah man. I don't know your situation but I had to figure out how to manage the stress in my life.

Also I need a spreadsheet of name changes in here cause drat

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
STR get better man. Your an awesome dude.

I had a car come back to the shop after the other tech put a rack in. Customer compains the wheel bearing is humming now. So I decide to ask the other tech of he torqued the wheel bearing. He asked why would he when the impact gun is faster. Then I spent 20 minutes explaining how all bearings need preload on them and the correct torque helps......him and my boss both think I'm lying.......and there the ones who have supposedly worked on cars transmissions for 20+ years.....

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Doing some maintenance on the power lines at the local military base that we serve, cleaning up some lines and poles still down from the hurricane. Just got turned around at the gate by the Billy Bob looking guard from Iowa, can't get in on a federal holiday LOL.

If their lights were out, they'd be waving us in with open arms. Military bureaucracy is a joke.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Also, I'm going to set a new sobriety date of 11/11. Sick of the grip alcohol has on me. And I was back to being physically addicted again. Found a doctor willing to work with me without hospitalizing me to get me through the withdrawal (though I did get booted to the ER for a bit because of my blood pressure and dehydration). Blood work actually wasn't bad, aside from elevated liver counts.

You know that you can pm practically anyone who posts in this thread and they will give you moral support at any time of the day.

We are all rooting for you - you aren't facing this alone, even if this little support group consists entirely of pants-shitters, loonies, car nuts, shut-ins or people smelling a little too strongly of WD40.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

clam ache posted:

I had a car come back to the shop after the other tech put a rack in. Customer compains the wheel bearing is humming now. So I decide to ask the other tech of he torqued the wheel bearing. He asked why would he when the impact gun is faster. Then I spent 20 minutes explaining how all bearings need preload on them and the correct torque helps......him and my boss both think I'm lying.......and there the ones who have supposedly worked on cars transmissions for 20+ years.....

...well you don't get repeat customers if you do a job properly.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
5-56 smells so much better then WD40. :colbert:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Kick alcoholism in the balls STR.

So a few weeks ago I posted about not being sure if I believed the texts from my wife that she was pregnant. Well - she is! We are eight weeks right now, so still early. We have had our first appointment this week and everything looked good on the ultra sound. This will be our third and likely (99.9%) our last. Pregnancy is probably the worst thing about having kids. My wife gets super sick and can't do much of anything outside of the basics to survive. So for the next few months I will be going to work, then coming home and taking care of the kids, cooking, cleaning etc. With the kids getting older this just gets more difficult to do. I am really not looking forward to it. My job is generally pretty chill as I can do it well but it requires that I am performing at a high level every day the entire day. There are upsides, like pregnant boobs which are awesome :pervert: but can also at times be like museum pieces where it is all look, no touch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
STR you absolutely got this. You can always hit me on FB if you need to chat or anything.

FAVORS NEEDED.

The NES Classic goes up on Amazon later today, if any of you are not interested in owning one could yous guys try to snag one anyways? I'll be working and I don't know if I'll be able to hover at a computer when they go on sale at 2PM PT (5PM ET). My boss really wants this. He's had a rough couple of months and in the 12 years I've known him I've never heard him get too excited about video games but he's been talking about this for weeks so I'd like to try and get one for him without paying a premium on it. If any of you have the time to try and grab one I'd owe you big time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They are definitely moving fast, and there's no shortage of assholes selling them for $300+ on CL and Amazon already. All of the local Targets went OOS within 15 minutes of opening.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I pre-ordered in September, but it doesn't seem like I'll be getting one until the end of January.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Fingers crossed I can stay the gently caress away from the poo poo. Aside from nausea and sweating, I feel a shitload better, and my blood pressure is way down - it was 183/102 at the hospital. 128/91 a few minutes ago.

Rooting for you STR. If you need support or to talk, I'm there whenever you need me.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Good luck STR.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

They are definitely moving fast, and there's no shortage of assholes selling them for $300+ on CL and Amazon already. All of the local Targets went OOS within 15 minutes of opening.

Amazon disable one-click onit so you have to go through the normal order process. They also claim to have bots blocked somehow.

I will send a free bottle of my hot sauce to anyone who can procure one for me!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
new presidential limo http://i.imgur.com/JPMxMvI.gifv

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
You can do it, STR! Get ready to be ALIVE AGAIN!
Holy poo poo that guy looks WAY different in high-def.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Targets website lied. Said a local store had one, went out there and the dude said they'd been out for hours.

On my way to the airport. Interview is on the far side. Should be fun.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Today I learned Discount Tire has increased the price of their road hazard certificates to $14.50. :sigh:

I probably have a bit to do with that. I think this makes 4 claims in the past year alone for me. The last time was on a brand new tire with under 1k. This time it was a decently worn tire with about 20k - down to 6/32.

You'll want to open it up and remove the battery if it's leaking. You'll have to reset the date/time after every power up afterwards, but you're probably doing that by now anyway, but the battery will eventually corrode the poo poo out of it if it leaks. If it's not leaking, it's just an annoyance with having to reset the date/time all the time.

Better yet is to put in a working battery. But it trickle charges the battery whenever it's on, so a typical coin cell won't work (even though the original is a coin cell.. but it's a rechargeable one - you can get rechargeable ones, but they're stupid expensive). Easiest and cheapest fix is to solder in a holder for 2 AAA nicad batteries.

I too have Rez.

Craigslist is full of free CRT TVs. Problem solved.

Speaking of which, if anyone in the DFW Metroplex wants a 36" RCA tube HD-ready TV, I have one I would love to get out of my garage. HD (component and DVI) inputs do not work, but the analog portion works great. Has a (non-working) built-in DVD player, too.

Good luck on the sobriety, bud. I guess I'm lucky that I don't seem to have an addictive personality, or maybe just plain lucky.

angryrobots posted:

Yeah man. I don't know your situation but I had to figure out how to manage the stress in my life.

Also I need a spreadsheet of name changes in here cause drat

Yeah. I think I've got about half of them right...
Then I need a cross-reference for that for Facebook.

clam ache posted:

STR get better man. Your an awesome dude.

What? How do you do any mechanical work without running across this detail? My dad explained it to me when I was in junior high (and since confirmed/explained by various magazine articles and such.) It's even in the manuals for my old GMs: torque to such-and-such to seat everything, then back off. Snug up, then back off to the first available slot that lines up with the cotter pin hole.

I... what? What the hell IS that?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Darchangel posted:

I... what? What the hell IS that?

Bosozawesome.

I've got the best presidential limo. Terrific limo. It's so good you won't believe it.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 11, 2016

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

And if she(he) can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

gently caress I love Red Green.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
Good luck STR, you can do it mate.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Alcoholism chat

Hey STR, I just went through this and did in-patient detox. I was buying a 1.75l of 100 proof vodka every other day. Tomorrow is a month sober for me. You can do it. While I was in detox I saw people who were there for their 15th or more time. Don't be them!

If you need someone to talk to feel free to hit me up on IRC.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

It's odd that those things are flying off the shelves.
My other half pre-ordered mine directly from Nintendo yonks ago for my Christmas present and it turned up the other day without any issues.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm actually backing a bit off of Discount Tire since while I like the service, the owner made a big deal about putting a lot of money into some less than desirable local causes Arpaio's failed re-election and the successful prevention of legal weed that I have no interest in supporting myself. I do need to find someone to swap the TPMS sensors out.

Congrats on sobriety and good luck keeping it up.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm actually backing a bit off of Discount Tire since while I like the service, the owner made a big deal about putting a lot of money into some less than desirable local causes Arpaio's failed re-election and the successful prevention of legal weed that I have no interest in supporting myself. I do need to find someone to swap the TPMS sensors out.

Congrats on sobriety and good luck keeping it up.

Local owner or chain owner?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

CharlesM posted:

Local owner or chain owner?

Looks like it's Bruce T. Halle who he's talking about. He founded them and he's the current chairman.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

rdb posted:

Looks like it's Bruce T. Halle who he's talking about. He founded them and he's the current chairman.

Oh drat I just spent $800 on snow tires there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Amazon disable one-click onit so you have to go through the normal order process. They also claim to have bots blocked somehow.

I will send a free bottle of my hot sauce to anyone who can procure one for me!

It seems to have broken Amazon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

It seems to have broken Amazon.

Yup, won't even load the product page now. It went active but wouldn't let me add it to my cart.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Yup, won't even load the product page now. It went active but wouldn't let me add it to my cart.

First time I've seen such a complete colosifuck from Amazon. Plus they aren't even selling it prime, charging $5 for delivery... if you can get it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Job chat: just dropped an application with the Ohio Turnpike Commission for a mid-level admin role. The low end of the salary range would mean a 25% raise (>50% at the high end if they'd be willing to pay it) plus state public employee benefits & pension and free use of the turnpike. Downside is my commute would go from 25-30 minutes daily to a bit more than double that (40 minutes one way), but its going to be at least a decade before I'd be able to advance where I am now, if ever...they promoted a guy from my department to junior-level admin after he'd been with the company for 10 years. Plus part of the job description for my current position should be "think like a doormat - everyone is going to walk all over you and we aren't going to do anything about it."

A friend of a friend is a senior admin and while he said he can't put his thumb on the scale in my favor he can at least ensure I get an interview. Fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Facebook thinks I am dead. :(
It's a little disturbing to read this:
"Remembering Charles
We hope people who love Charles will find comfort in the things others share to remember and celebrate his life."

• Locked thread