Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There are no rats in this game right? It was a real pain in the rear end to go non-lethal in Dishonored 1 because of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

rabidsquid posted:

I don't know that I would say mission 4s shop was especially hard to rob, but waddling around with that loving whale oil canister while the guards were flipping their poo poo about the gate being shut off sure was a bit harrowing. I didn't realize you can't use powers while you carry a large object

You can just use a grenade there, you know.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

First mission spoilers:

Zomborgon posted:

You absolutely can go non-lethal, did it myself. If the door you couldn't open was the one using the signet ring to get into the safe room, then make sure you looted the signet ring. Otherwise, if it's the door out of the safe room and onto Dunwall's streets, then you have to drag his unconscious body into the safe room for... reasons. Supposedly, it's because the safe room has food and water. Dunno what for, really, but I guess it's supposed to be a "let him die really slowly in a sealed room" fate-worse-than-murder. Then again, I don't recall the back way being sealed by the ring, so if he can get out once he wakes up, then it's kinda pointless.

If I remember right, there is another signet ring lock you need to use to get out of the safe room on the other side, then you go down a corridor and come out the palace through a regular door. So people might be able to find the exit to the palace but they won't be able to get into the safe room or let him out. Dude is in there until Emily lets him out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

I have four words, friends. Four.

STRONG. ARMS. TIMES. FOUR.

The Minstry of Hugs IS BACK, MOTHERFUCKERS :bisonyes:

THE HUG GOSPEL SPREADS TO A NEW CITY

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

RatHat posted:

There are no rats in this game right? It was a real pain in the rear end to go non-lethal in Dishonored 1 because of them.

There are rats, but thus far they only exist as possession fodder. Bloodflies fill the "horrible way to kill an unconscious man" thing now but they are approximately 80 times more controllable because you swing your sword twice and they go docile.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How are Bloodflies different than rats then? Do I still have to find "safe" places for bodies?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

RatHat posted:

How are Bloodflies different than rats then? Do I still have to find "safe" places for bodies?

bloodflies are generally contained to their own areas away from people outside of some caged ones near guards

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Okay so they don't wander, good.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Furthermore they:
1) buzz loudly, so you can't miss them the way you sometimes could a rat swarm
2) die very quickly (the aforementioned two sword swings)
3) can be distracted from a sleeping man in the worst case

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Ugh, the Outsider's voice is so bad in this version.

Please tell me there's something drastically wrong with my copy and he's actually supposed to sound the same as he did in the first game

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Gonna crosspost a sec:

I found this reddit post that helped my performance immensely:

I grabbed Display Driver Uninstaller and used that to do a clean uninstall of my Nvidia driver (the most recent update.) I let it reboot after the uninstall.

I downloaded the 373.06 Nvidia drivers and installed those.

I made sure to go into the Nvidia control panel and set my power mode to high performance, my maximum prerendered frames to 1, and my Vsync to adaptive.

I disabled the in game Vsync, and am currently running in borderless windowed mode though I haven't done enough testing as to any difference that might make, I just wanted the easiest access to my desktop while testing fixes.

Went from 35-40fps on a Skylake 970 machine to 50-60s and up. What's killing me is the weird hitching that seems to follow after playing for a long stretch. Memory leak?

Also holy moly I just figured out how to kick people as Emily and incidentally caught some guard in the loving chin with my fancy boots

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Capn Beeb posted:

Also holy moly I just figured out how to kick people as Emily and incidentally caught some guard in the loving chin with my fancy boots

Emily has some fantastic finishers. Got one where she kicked someone in the groin hard enough to send them up on their toes, and they basically fell forward on to her sword. I'm going full chaos combat, looking forward to the shadow kill upgrade that spawns bloodflies for that "gently caress this, everything is terrible" feeling.

Only just finished the first 'real' mission (the docks, don't remember the name), and managed to miss a bone charm and a rune. Goddamn there's a ton of them in these levels. Also picked up the crafting because it's 1 rune, and combined the bone charms that give me faster mana regen and the chance for abilities to be free. I approve.

Also, so looking forward to Coolguye spreading the mega hug gospel in the inevitable LP. You guys should make Orv do the powerless run :laugh:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Oh poo poo Dishonored 2 is out?

Welp, looks like I'm buying a new video card

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Capn Beeb posted:

Do tell

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I'm apparently missing 1400 coins and a painting in M2 - Edge of the World. I KO'd every guard and made it to the end then combed the entire map with infinite mana spamming Dark Vision everywhere - not as helpful as it should be honestly - several times and I haven't even found a handful of coins. For such a substantial amount of missing cash I don't know what to believe. These areas aren't that big and I've been through every random loft. Did anyone find all 4 paintings in M2?

The painting is the biggest discrepancy, but I can believe it if spending money takes away from the total, even though that'd be really backwards.

I did find the painting. Turns out I forgot the one in the Overseer place, but found another one I hadn't seen before. Welp. Maybe the money I can't find is what I spent then.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 11, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
...I just closed a door on myself so hard it killed me.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I jumped over a ledge, a whale oil tank was there, physics sent it to the moon but I still exploded and died.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Are the any enemies that are exempt from the chaos system?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The robits should be exempt, right?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Emily's far reach ability is really weird, sometimes it pulls me exactly where I aim and sometimes it slingshots me right on by, it's got me in trouble once or twice by catapulting me over the railing on a balcony and right on through the window onto a dudes desk.

Really enjoying it so far, the 2nd proper mission feels like the most complicated game level I've ever played.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Emily's far reach ability is really weird, sometimes it pulls me exactly where I aim and sometimes it slingshots me right on by, it's got me in trouble once or twice by catapulting me over the railing on a balcony and right on through the window onto a dudes desk.

Really enjoying it so far, the 2nd proper mission feels like the most complicated game level I've ever played.

Same, the Far Reach has more physics involved than the Blink and it takes getting used to. the 2nd mission area wherein I was trying to take that body already felt difficult and I ended up using a shock trap whilst hiding behind a chair to knock out some dudes. I'm thinking it's like D1 wherein the earlygame is tough when you only have the locomotion power and not much else, though going through that cramped house does make it harder to be the "rooftop assassin" I usually like to be.

On Hard, you die in like 2 hits, so it's a good way to push you towards being stealthy and getting out of high chaos. Unfortunately I feel like I will need to get bloody if only for now, just so I can get the important Runes for upgrades early on.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Can you drop attack a clockwork soldier and still get ghost? If not, seems like there's really no good way to deal with them without doing awkward little dances to try and hit the rewire button.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

I have four words, friends. Four.

STRONG. ARMS. TIMES. FOUR.

The Minstry of Hugs IS BACK, MOTHERFUCKERS :bisonyes:

Thanks to you for making me realize that I can 4x my faster carry and faster sneak perks. Suddenly bone crafting make sense.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I was wondering if having 4 of the same trait would be 4x the effect.

Now my question is, is there a new game plus where you can keep all the bone charms you found? Because there seem to be a poo poo ton of traits it wouldn't make sense to not be able to carry it over and eventually morph into some unparalleled god.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

thebardyspoon posted:

Far Reach does have far more physics involved. From what I've seen so far:

If you FR onto a surface from a standstill Or FR onto a surface near-perpendicular to your current velocity, you generally end up there. It appears that the ability to target an area is dependent upon whether your body fits on a straight-line path to that target, so you can't fire it through gaps as easily.

If you FR onto a surface roughly parallel to your velocity, you maintain your momentum while the FR proceeds. You then end up far overshooting the FR target, and it acts as if you pivoted about the target point, but also gain speed from pulling towards the ground. It also seems to sometimes correct your velocity towards the horizontal, and so you end up moving about equal distance away from your target as you began from it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I like how the first target in the game is the rear end in a top hat party guest from Lady Boyle's party that rats you out if you talk to him enough times

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There are some, but mostly for Corvo to possess. I've not seen any swarms yet barring one scripted exception. I'm at the clockwork mansion.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

is it just me or is the swivel UI menus loving awful? Like I don't get motion sickness, but it just objectively irritates me.

Edit: Also how the gently caress do you equip the Heart :confused: I only have my Pistol and Crossbow in 1-2, F keys do nothing. I see nothing indicative of it in the Key bindings... Oh, ugh, middle click for the wheel.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 11, 2016

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Sab669 posted:

is it just me or is the swivel UI menus loving awful? Like I don't get motion sickness, but it just objectively irritates me.

They are.

So I'm thinking I'm fairly awful at this game. Any quintessential skills I should be focused on early? I saw that time stop will remove the ability to be detected.

Not sure why i'm so bad at this (seems like the controls for knock out are off entirely) and just randomly don't work.

Not sure why I'm so poo poo at this game as I was pretty good at the last Deus Ex games.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Malek posted:

They are.

So I'm thinking I'm fairly awful at this game. Any quintessential skills I should be focused on early? I saw that time stop will remove the ability to be detected.

Not sure why i'm so bad at this (seems like the controls for knock out are off entirely) and just randomly don't work.

Not sure why I'm so poo poo at this game as I was pretty good at the last Deus Ex games.

If you're trying to be stealthy, my main advice is just be patient and listen closely for footsteps or grunts to let you know where enemies are. There's no minimap here like in Deus Ex that gives you the exact location of every enemy nearby, so you have to be a bit more observant. Invest in the Dark Vision power if you're having a hard time scouting enemies.

And if you get caught feel free to just fight your way out, its fun and you'll still be in Low Chaos unless you murder every living thing you come across.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Malek posted:

Yeah, it's been finicky since the original. I'm sure others could air their grievances for the same.

If someone's in a weird position that's hard to choke out, like often having their back to a wall, that's a time for Emily's shadow form or a stun mine.

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~
It runs like right on the border of, "I can put up with it" and "completely unplayable". I'm right at 2 hours on steam and I'm really am not sure if I should refund it or not since I know I would immediately rebuy it as soon as they fix this poo poo optimization.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

sexy mouse posted:

It runs like right on the border of, "I can put up with it" and "completely unplayable". I'm right at 2 hours on steam and I'm really am not sure if I should refund it or not since I know I would immediately rebuy it as soon as they fix this poo poo optimization.

:same:

The gameplay, level design, art, stealth, and everything else not related to the unpredictably garbo performance is so incredibly compelling that it's hard to step back and make that call.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

sexy mouse posted:

Is after doing the fixes with drivers and pre-rendered frames and all that? I want to get this but it sounds like they've done an abysmal job porting it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
How the gently caress do I deal with clockwork soldiers quietly? The puzzle palace is driving me nuts.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
I think you need to use the rewire tool for that.

E:Just finished the first mission on low chaos and am hella tempted to do a non-powered stealth pacifist playthrough on my first try. Anyone attempting this atm and how difficult is it for you?

Khagan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 11, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

The heart is a little funny this time around. According to it everyone on the dock is essentially a murderer.

the gambler guy playing dice "sends her money whenever he can" :shobon:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I feel like they do do a good job in making you want to kill the baddies. I'm going for no-death my first time through, but I still wanted to shoot all of those god drat traitors to the crown. Especially the captain. Wanted to throw him off the tower. :colbert:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Coolguye posted:

the gambler guy playing dice "sends her money whenever he can" :shobon:
I've had a few of those now but most people are far above average in their awfulness. Here's a regular looking guy, he purposely slammed a door on a kid's hand.

I missed so much poo poo in the first real mission because I thought I'd get to come back like you did in the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I can't wait to get done with low chaos then I can not feel bad about taking a blade to people.

• Locked thread