Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It sounds very difficult to get set up, needing a specific version of windows and a lot of freaking work to get running smoothly. I think there's a guy that sells laptops with it installed and working (on the forums or maybe ebay as well) which is the route I'd go to avoid the headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Larrymer posted:

It sounds very difficult to get set up, needing a specific version of windows and a lot of freaking work to get running smoothly. I think there's a guy that sells laptops with it installed and working (on the forums or maybe ebay as well) which is the route I'd go to avoid the headache.

Actually there's an easier/cheaper route - one guy is selling the DiCE tool and a Windows virtual machine with VIDA pre-installed and configured. You basically just plug in the DiCE, double click the VM to launch it and go to town. No weird Internet Explorer/.NET/COM settings required.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

That vm is around as a virtualbox image as well.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
RE: thread title.
I just went to take a look at a V70 at a dealer and it wouldn't start because the battery was dead. :haw:

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
I've only once taken a look at an S60R at a dealer. The battery was dead as well

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Now that I think about it, every single one of the Volvos ever owned by me, family members and friends have had dead batteries at some point, usually pretty early in their carreers. Have personally had to jump-start or replace the battery in most of them.

Battery-related Volvo story: About 20 years ago I used my parents 745 to move, and it was parked a few days at my uncles place (while empty, and no valuable stuff left in it). My aunt said she had found it with with the door not properly closed, which sounded odd, as I was pretty sure I locked it. When I got there later it was dead, I figured it was the dome light that had just drained it. Got a battery charger, but when went to hook it up I found that the battery was *gone*. Turns out someone had drilled a ~5mm hole under the lock on the drivers door to get in, and proceeded to steal the 5-6 year old battery (and nothing else). Police came and looked at the hole later, they hadn't heard of that method of entry before. Not sure if they had planned on coming back later when I had a fresh battery in it, since I just went on home.

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009
my 92 240 lit up the service, battery, parking brake, brake failure, and light failure lights all dim and flickering about 20 minutes into the drive home, abs light started flickering with them on my way through town waiting at lights and it started to stumble a bit accelerating with the light.

initial search is leading me to the voltage regulator or maybe grounds, glad this poo poo waited for it to get dark and cold to break. do i have to remove the alternator to remove it?

e: glad i'm right and its not too hard of a fix, just annoying waiting for parts

shadowzero313 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 16, 2016

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
replacing the brake booster on the 940 right now

never want to do this again

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
it took me a whole day but i did it and i am doubling down on the whole never doing this again thing

it was somehow more difficult than swapping out the transmissions, purely by virtue of having to squeeze under the dashboard to take off 4 nearly impossible to reach nuts

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009
this is going on the new volvo checklist, especially since i think i can pull out the regulator if the oil filter isn't in the way

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Hello Volvo thread!

I just took delivery of a very neglected '99 V70 XC.

1) What maintenance do I need to perform?
2) Why don't any of my wipers work? E: put a fuse in the appropriate slot :downs:
3) Where/how do I get duplicate keys?

Thanks!

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 19, 2016

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Do you have a dog to sit happily in the back? If not, you need one of those.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Do you have a dog to sit happily in the back?

Yes

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Dagen H posted:

1) What maintenance do I need to perform?

Not much. Old 850/V70s are good work horses. Change oil on pure principle, check for oil / transmission fluid leaks, have a look at the state of the brakes, drive it until something makes noise or falls off. Maybe change timing belt depending on budget and philosophy. Of course you can go looking for trouble wherever you feel like, but there's nothing in particular on that car that is a missed-maintenance trouble spot. Sometime around then were the first with electronic throttle (depending on model/engine or something), and those early ones sometimes go haywire, but as long as it works it's nothing to worry about. If you even have one.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ionn posted:

Not much. Old 850/V70s are good work horses. Change oil on pure principle, check for oil / transmission fluid leaks, have a look at the state of the brakes, drive it until something makes noise or falls off. Maybe change timing belt depending on budget and philosophy. Of course you can go looking for trouble wherever you feel like, but there's nothing in particular on that car that is a missed-maintenance trouble spot. Sometime around then were the first with electronic throttle (depending on model/engine or something), and those early ones sometimes go haywire, but as long as it works it's nothing to worry about. If you even have one.

loving lol :allears:

A '99 will have the electronic throttle which can have issues (erratic idle, poor throttle response, weird stuttering at low/partial throttle). By now most have been replaced with the updated unit, which can still have the same problems but just take longer to manifest. The PCV system should be replaced entirely if no records of that being done exist, otherwise it will burn oil and possibly even blow out a crank seal if it gets stopped up bad enough. Transmission fluid should be changed along with the filter, Volvo started telling their customers it was "Lifetime" fluid around that time which is utter horseshit. Also with it being an XC you should check the angle-gear for any leaks and for proper function. If problems are found depending on your budget you can fix it or remove the rear driveshaft and (iirc) pull a fuse and just enjoy your new FWD lifted wagon. Timing belts are every 100k miles along with water pumps iirc. These engines are interference (and fairly costly to replace) so depending on the mileage again you might want to check that out. Definitely not a "depending on philosophy" thing, unless your philosophy is spending a shitload of money replacing major driveline components as opposed to spending a small amount on preventative maintenance.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Terrible Robot posted:

A '99 will have the electronic throttle which can have issues (erratic idle, poor throttle response, weird stuttering at low/partial throttle). By now most have been replaced with the updated unit, which can still have the same problems but just take longer to manifest.

That's...troubling. :(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Dagen H posted:

That's...troubling. :(

The good news is Xemodex now sells a completely refurbished unit (or you can send them yours and have them rebuild yours) that uses a totally different kind of sensor that cannot wear out in the way the OEM one does. It costs like $500 but the OEM replacement (that will eventually break again) is like $600 so it's still a good deal.

http://xemodex.com/us/product/electronic-throttle-module-etm-turbo-pre-programmed-for-volvo-vo-1020-36001822-00-24/

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 20, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Also worth making sure the diff electronics module has been properly resealed to the diff, on the late P80s and early P2s the electronics liked to leak diff oil into its casing and blow it out.

Xemodex also have a replacement DEM :sun:

E: This might not affect a '99. Might be P2 only.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 20, 2016

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Terrible Robot posted:

Definitely not a "depending on philosophy" thing, unless your philosophy is spending a shitload of money replacing major driveline components as opposed to spending a small amount on preventative maintenance.

If the car is "soon to be junk anyway" due to age/mileage/condition, it might very well be a case of fixing nothing too expensive and run it into the ground. Unless you do the work yourself (or get it for cheap) that could include the cost of a timing belt swap (which is a "some money now vs maybe more money later" philosophical/economical decision). All depends on stuff. Sure, if this is a car you want running for many more years, do allthethings.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ionn posted:

If the car is "soon to be junk anyway" due to age/mileage/condition, it might very well be a case of fixing nothing too expensive and run it into the ground. Unless you do the work yourself (or get it for cheap) that could include the cost of a timing belt swap (which is a "some money now vs maybe more money later" philosophical/economical decision). All depends on stuff. Sure, if this is a car you want running for many more years, do allthethings.

Dude Dagen's post literally says that he has just purchased the car and asks what maintenance he should be looking at doing. That right there says "I give a gently caress about this car and would like it to be around for a while". At no point did he say it was "soon to be junk anyway". Don't put words in people's mouths and don't move the loving goalposts when you get called out on giving out bad information.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
This. If you're going to run your poo poo into the ground, you don't come post on a car forum asking how to not run your poo poo into the ground. :fuckoff:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dagen H posted:

3) Where/how do I get duplicate keys?

Thanks!
I never found anyone other than a Volvo dealer who could duplicate those damned square keys. And they're high as camel cock too.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It idles rough and won't rev above 3k. I need to pull the OBD codes, then proceed from there. Thanks gents!

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Dagen, If you decide you'd like more in-depth info as far as the codes go I have a computer with VIDA and a DICE interface and I think you're sorta local to me. I'd start with the coils and plugs if it's idling rough and won't rev. It could have ETM issues, but those usually manifest as surging or hunting at idle. I'd also recommend a compression test to rule out a burnt valve or something like that.

Also jfc you guys need to lay off ionn, an extremely neglected P80XC has a ton of money pit potential and that's how it was described in the OP. It's good that Dagen wants to fix it up but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that you probably ought to pick and choose your battles as far as maintenance is concerned when it comes to a car like that, at least until you know it's worth putting some money into.

BTW, the latest Volvo ETMs use the same sensor as the Xemodex units so if you can find a used one it's a good way to save some money.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dagen H posted:

It idles rough and won't rev above 3k.

And now it idles fine and revs to the moon; the Check Engine and ETS lights both went out. Wonder what I fixed? Never mind. It was fun while it lasted.

zundfolge posted:

Dagen, If you decide you'd like more in-depth info as far as the codes go I have a computer with VIDA and a DICE interface and I think you're sorta local to me.

I may have to take you up on that. Need to try the simple stuff first. Cat's apparently not clogged, PO said he replaced 4/5 coils. What plugs are in it is anyone's guess.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 20, 2016

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Terrible Robot posted:

That right there says "I give a gently caress about this car and would like it to be around for a while".

Don't put words in people's mouths

I do not at all believe I did, though I did make the assumption based on "neglected car from 1999" that it was a somewhat crappy old thing to just have running for cheap.

Terrible Robot posted:

and don't move the loving goalposts when you get called out on giving out bad information.

We both seem to have set goalposts on either side of Dagen H's actual intentions with this car. Don't agree with you at all on the rest, but meh.
Few of the maintenance items on this car are really different from any other 17 year old car (such as old timing belts and oil leaks and such), and things that are more common issues aren't really ones you must deal with now just because it's been neglected. Most things that aren't yet broken don't need fixing.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The interior resembles a barnyard, but otherwise it's a nice car that I would like to repair and keep maintained.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Dagen H posted:

PO said he replaced 4/5 coils.

I'm bothered by things like this. How did PO figure out 4&5 were bad, and what was wrong with them that couldn't also affect 1-3? A wild guess; another coil is going bad and it's intermittently misfiring.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ionn posted:

I'm bothered by things like this. How did PO figure out 4&5 were bad, and what was wrong with them that couldn't also affect 1-3? A wild guess; another coil is going bad and it's intermittently misfiring.

Sorry, I meant "4 out of the 5". I have the 5th one, new in the box.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Dagen H posted:

Sorry, I meant "4 out of the 5". I have the 5th one, new in the box.

Aha. In that case, swapping out that 5th coil sounds like a reasonable place to start.

Did he get 5 new coils and replaced 4 of them? :pwn:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ionn posted:

Did he get 5 new coils and replaced 4 of them? :pwn:

The coil for cylinder 1 is under a different cover. :effort:

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Dagen H posted:

The coil for cylinder 1 is under a different cover. :effort:

One of those where the cam belt cover is also over cyl #1? Dude, that's like two entire more screws to get it off. When given the chance to finish early, take it.

IIRC, this ECU will give you per-cylinder misfire codes even with a generic :10bux: OBDII scanner (at least early 2000's models do, not sure when that started happening though).

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ya, all obdii Volvos have the ability to give individual cylinder misfire codes.

Whether it actually throws a related code when it's having a problem is another matter entirely. My 850 was notorious for an intermittent hot low idle/shutting off/fouling the plug and refusing to crank back up until it sat for awhile, never threw a code of any sort.

Had to drive around with my live data scanner hooked up until I saw the coolant temp reading -40°F for a few seconds when the engine was fully warmed.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ionn posted:

IIRC, this ECU will give you per-cylinder misfire codes even with a generic :10bux: OBDII scanner (at least early 2000's models do, not sure when that started happening though).

angryrobots posted:

Ya, all obdii Volvos have the ability to give individual cylinder misfire codes.

Good to know, thanks gents. I'll borrow Dad's scanner, as well as visually inspecting the coils and plugs, and report back.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Any android device running Torque should be able to pull any codes you might have, mine even does a good job pulling the special P1xxx manufacturer codes. It's also super nice to be able to monitor sensors while driving, especially since Volvo took away the boost gauge after '97. Get a cheap Bluetooth OBD adapter from amazon, I've had great experience with the Veepeak ones.

Apologies to Ionn for being a toolbag to him the other night, it was uncalled for.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dagen H posted:

PO said he replaced 4/5 coils.

Confirmed. Replaced coil #1, ran well for about a minute, then back to poo poo.

Dagen H posted:

What plugs are in it is anyone's guess.

Autolite platinum. I read somewhere that Volvos choke on platinum plugs and NGK coppers are the way to go. C/D?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Confirm, they run like poo poo on anything else. NGK or OEM coppers or nothing.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Will return with NGKs installed and OBD codes in hand.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ugh, you'll find as many opinions as you will assholes getting advice on spark plugs, but personally I just shelled out for the drat Volvo branded ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
It's true that platinum plugs suck in redblock applications but the OE plugs for the turbo whiteblocks are platinum. The Bosch 6730 is basically what you'll get if you shell out for a pack of Volvo plugs but they're only $3/pop from Rockauto instead of $60 for 5. Copper plugs will work but they'll need replacement more often, especially in the cars with COP ignition.