Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignore Me
Nov 11, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Seeing "Irish-American" people on TV/video/ and even meeting people identifying as "Irish-American" in pubs & bars etc is really starting to piss me off.

I will never understand why someone who wasn't born in Ireland, has likely never even visited Ireland and only has a direct relation from that country, some bloody six or seven generations back BUT insists on identifying to an almost psychotic level with that country, WTF?

When I have visited America and been into Irish bars, I have been in some sticky situations with over-identified Irish-Americans going ape-poo poo, threatening violence for me being British (I am half Irish) and for pointing out their hypocrisies and total lack of understanding of what they want to believe is their culture.

Walking into an "Irish-American" bar is like watching the blackest of black comedies with so-called "Irish" whiskey named "Black and Tan" (no doubt purchased and drunk completely unironically right?) I nearly poo poo myself when I saw it and the "Irish-American" dickheads drinking "Irish Car Bombs" thinking it's something that flies back in the old country.

Someone seriously needs to make a comedy sketch about "Irish Americans" having drinks to drown their sorrows after the Boston bombing, and ordering "Irish car bombs" when they get to the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I too dislike people from new england.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
tu-ra loo-ra loo-ra op

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Kelly is a girls name you loving weirdos.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I'm technically Irish-American and yeah, our 'culture' is pretty embarrassing. Also, I wouldn't give a poo poo if Ireland just sank into the Atlantic.

Ignore Me
Nov 11, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

StuG Jeebus posted:

I'm technically Irish-American and yeah, our 'culture' is pretty embarrassing. Also, I wouldn't give a poo poo if Ireland just sank into the Atlantic.

You idiots use Paddy's day for a piss-up which bothers me on so many levels because it's not an Independence day celebration. It's a Saint's Day celebration that has been co-opted as Ireland's national day which just furthers you "Irish-American" wankers notion that to be Irish is to be Catholic. Hell no, you American's can gently caress off with that idea. Pancake day here is not Shrove's Tuesday anymore, It's just a day when everybody gets over excited about pancakes, and upsets the French by putting lemon juice on them.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I knew a guy whose mom was adopted by an American-Irish family (second generation immigrants, I guess they had some
Family in Ireland). This guy literally said he was blood Irish and changed his name to Seamus. It really irritated me and I always was like, you're not Irish, you moron, while he would wear green and get wasted with "pride" on St Patrick's day.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i don't give a gently caress about fake irish people

momerath
Nov 15, 2014
why stop at the irish?

if i had a dollar for every person desperately trying to cling to any shred of non-american culture. it's so loving sad and embarrassing to see clearly whitewashed latinos try to speak spanish to appeal to me. i'm literally shuddering just thinking about

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ignore Me posted:

You idiots use Paddy's day for a piss-up which bothers me on so many levels because it's not an Independence day celebration. It's a Saint's Day celebration that has been co-opted as Ireland's national day which just furthers you "Irish-American" wankers notion that to be Irish is to be Catholic. Hell no, you American's can gently caress off with that idea. Pancake day here is not Shrove's Tuesday anymore, It's just a day when everybody gets over excited about pancakes, and upsets the French by putting lemon juice on them.

To be Irish is to be Catholic you fuckin orangie

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZaz7OqyTHQ

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Ignore Me posted:

You idiots use Paddy's day for a piss-up which bothers me on so many levels because

Welcome to America! Now sure if you've noticed but we do the same for Cinco De Mayo when we drink into a stupor of corona beer and margaritas while wearing sombreros, we do the same on our own independence day where we dress in flags and shout USA while pounding back budweiser. Halloween used to be a sacred time but now we use it as an excuse to wear silly costumes and drink ourselves into a stupor. St. Patricks day? Wear green and shamrocks, and drink yourself into a stupor. The birth of the lord and savior Jesus Christ? Wear a tacky sweater and drink yourself into a stupor! We're a country of immigrants who came together with one thing in common - we like to play dress up and get loving trashed together, and we don't take it seriously, and neither should you.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

935 posted:

Welcome to America! Now sure if you've noticed but we do the same for Cinco De Mayo when we drink into a stupor of corona beer and margaritas while wearing sombreros, we do the same on our own independence day where we dress in flags and shout USA while pounding back budweiser. Halloween used to be a sacred time but now we use it as an excuse to wear silly costumes and drink ourselves into a stupor. St. Patricks day? Wear green and shamrocks, and drink yourself into a stupor. The birth of the lord and savior Jesus Christ? Wear a tacky sweater and drink yourself into a stupor! We're a country of immigrants who came together with one thing in common - we like to play dress up and get loving trashed together, and we don't take it seriously, and neither should you.

Ignore Me
Nov 11, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Dog posted:

To be Irish is to be Catholic you fuckin orangie

Whats wrong with being Ulster Protestant?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Basically if you were an immigrant (forced or otherwise) who came to America after another group got here first, you were persecuted by the earlier immigrant groups and that fed into bullshit identity politics quite nicely. Toss that in with capitalist marketing of holidays and you get insufferable people today.

hth

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
fake Irish > real English

Ignore Me
Nov 11, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

935 posted:

when I visit the States no "Irish-Americans" there I meet really (outside a few nutcases) give a poo poo about whats happening in Ireland, about sectarian differences or Papist plots or Jewish cabals or whatever they just want to get poo poo-face drunk in their made-up Irish fantasy.

Also all the "Irish-Americans" I met wanted gay people excluded from Paddy's day celebrations which is ironic really for an event that symbolizes the acceptance of a hated minority. You couldn't make it up.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
My only wish is to retake Jerusalem for Christendom.

I am Templar-American!

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I steal marshmallows from children, I'm a victim of racial expectations

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Also I end every sentence by yelling "DEUS VULT" at the top of my lungs.

Heritage not Hate, imho!

Korthal
May 26, 2011

There are more Irish Americans than there are Irish. Really makes you think who's copying who.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ignore Me posted:

when I visit the States no "Irish-Americans" there I meet really (outside a few nutcases) give a poo poo about whats happening in Ireland, about sectarian differences or Papist plots or Jewish cabals or whatever they just want to get poo poo-face drunk in their made-up Irish fantasy.

have you considered that getting stupid drunk and being an idiot in the streets is simply a better way to enjoy life than somberly reflecting on sectarian differences or paying attention to modern Irish politics?

you may have invented Irish culture but we perfected it

Ignore Me
Nov 11, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Earwicker posted:

have you considered that getting stupid drunk and being an idiot in the streets is simply a better way to enjoy life than somberly reflecting on sectarian differences or paying attention to modern Irish politics?

you may have invented Irish culture but we perfected it

Your actually defending the Paddy Macshitstains who use Irish heritage for the sole purpose of going to pubs and bars to get drunk and stupid?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yes, are you a teetotaler or somethin bub

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ignore Me posted:

Your actually defending the Paddy Macshitstains who use Irish heritage for the sole purpose of going to pubs and bars to get drunk and stupid?

thats what most of our holidays are for. if you want to sit on a soggy island thinking about the pope thats cool I guess but its not a superior version of Irishness its just older

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

I went on a trip to Ireland once with someone who wanted to be there for their birthday and researched where his namesake came from. When we were. there he would tell people this and they would laugh him out of the bar every time. He also had no concept of any Irish history at all learning about the famine, troubles, titanic, recession, etc.. as we traveled around. It was as though he just wanted to identify as an oppressed people instead of a rich white American that he was.

Budget Dracula fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 12, 2016

soupbone sal
Oct 29, 2016
Yeah. Both my parents have Irish last names, I have an Irish first name, and if my parents had mailed the embassy I could have had EU membership but I've never cared about Ireland other than seeing it as a distant relative and I've always thought the US caricatures as tacky. Then again, a we do a lot of tacky things in the US.

I do understand why there are people who are desperate to identify with some kind of deeper cultural roots and I can't blame them for that, even if I think the way they go about it is gauche.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Budget Dracula posted:

I went on a trip to Ireland once with someone who wanted to be there for their birthday and researched where his namesake came from. When we were. there he would tell people this and they would laugh him out of the bar every time. He also had no concept of any Irish history at all learning about the famine, troubles, titanic, recession, etc.. as we traveled around. It was as though he just wanted to identify as an oppressed people instead of a rich white American that he was.

I did some work there for the department of welfare and the Irish are dicks but it was fun. Who knows if it's real or not, they're like "gently caress you prick" it's the Boston of Europe.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
getting drunk is cool

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
why are you so consumed with hate and anger? just for yourself, in your own life. you're going to die and it's not a productive way to spend what time you have left.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
I'm a Bostonian, and although I was adopted and have an Italian surname, my biological father was an immigrant from Ireland in the '50s, so I'm kinda hosed up like that...

The South Shore of Boston is horrible - all the two-toilet Irish from Southie and Dorchester that got rich in the trades or other union jobs hosed off to Hingham, Cohasset and the Cape, and they and their progeny are insufferable with their racist clan (as opposed to Klan) bullshit. It's like March of the Boyos, they're like a loving green plague down there.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Everyone knows that True Irishness involves dressing like you're from 1995, keeping a malnourished horse in your garage and living in terror of the various pinch-mouthed old harridans that play their weird political games around the local Catholic church.

And then your sister gets pregnant out of wedlock and your granny keeps putting on Daniel O'Donnell albums.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Your first-foot at New Year's is a Protestant. You welcome him in cause it's the spirit of the season, but conversation is stilted and there's palpable tension when he puts his glass on the table without a coaster.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The Irish bars of my youth were not full of Begosh and Begorra bullshit. They were places dads went to drink Hamm's (it was cheapest), watch the Pats lose and avoid Puerto Ricans.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Yes, people water down their culture and forget about the stupid poo poo going on in the terrible places their ancestors escaped from.

See also:
Italian Americans - that's-a spicy meatball. Unrecognizable to real Italians. And also they're all siciliano
Jewish Americans - made up a new religion called Reform Judaism which is basically Protestant Christianity minus Jesus.
German Americans - woo beer, Oktoberfest, and white power.
African Americans - well, can't really blame them for this one, although all attempts to get back to their roots have been comically out of touch with what Africa is. Now we have made up names and kwanza.
Canadian Americans - don't even end every question with "eh" anymore.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Melt it all down and skim the slag.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

A new and revolutionary perspective op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I come from a long line of poor Irish drunks but I don't particularly give a poo poo about which patch of dirt my ancestors originated from.

• Locked thread