Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Harrow posted:

Would you pick up a weapon then, or just be in melee range casting spells unarmed, in this case?

The artifact staff from the burning library has great defensive bonuses when equipped, so I'd probably use that.

Alternatively, going unarmed means you can pump dodge and ignore parry for defensive stats, so that's also pretty viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One last question: I read something about how the Lightning and Frost sigils are both available super early and so it's a waste to take them at character creation. Is that true and, if so, what else would I take as a mage instead?

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Is there a reason I can't go to the burning library yet after act 1? Will it unlock for me later? (I sided with disfavored)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Jabor posted:

The artifact staff from the burning library has great defensive bonuses when equipped, so I'd probably use that.

Alternatively, going unarmed means you can pump dodge and ignore parry for defensive stats, so that's also pretty viable.

Even better than that, the artifact staff you can build if you get the chunk of the Mind the big stone archon gives you +2 mind. However I do not know if you can get that without siding with the Desfavored as getting the chunk of stone from the mind seemed like the reward in that quest chain.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Harrow posted:

One last question: I read something about how the Lightning and Frost sigils are both available super early and so it's a waste to take them at character creation. Is that true and, if so, what else would I take as a mage instead?

If you want to min/max like crazy, don't grab any starter mage spells at all because you skip out on a free talent (or two) if you do that. I like holding a shield for tank mage because Shield Bash is really useful since the Daze (slows down their recovery time, so anyone in your face will attack/cast at you less) is awesome. The game isn't really that hard so just go with whatever gimmick makes you happy.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ravenfood posted:

Any ballpark on roughly how many levels I can expect to get in the game? I'm trying to plan out my talent picks and want to know whether I can get to both the mage and leadership trees (+2 for the faster recovery in Power) or not, and how far I'd be.
I hit 13, I think, but there were also things I wasn't able to do or wasn't allowed to do.

Is it possible to (endgame talk) end all the edicts currently ravaging the Tiers? I was able to stop the Edict of Fire in my independent run but I never received the option to go after the Stone Sea or Blade Grave, to my knowledge. Having finished the game I would be pretty annoyed if I was blocked off. That's not really how I like my replayability implemented in games. If there are other branches, don't make them plainly visible behind an invisible wall and then stick them in the end slides like I failed to do something I couldn't attempt.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

I hit 13, I think, but there were also things I wasn't able to do or wasn't allowed to do.

Is it possible to (endgame talk) end all the edicts currently ravaging the Tiers? I was able to stop the Edict of Fire in my independent run but I never received the option to go after the Stone Sea or Blade Grave, to my knowledge. Having finished the game I would be pretty annoyed if I was blocked off. That's not really how I like my replayability implemented in games. If there are other branches, don't make them plainly visible behind an invisible wall and then stick them in the end slides like I failed to do something I couldn't attempt.

I haven't finished my playthrough yet but I've lifted Fire, Stone, and I think I'm about to lift Storm.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

You can. There's even an achievement for it. If you unlocked all the Spires, it should have railroaded you toward unlocking those specific Edicts along the way. I did it on the same path as you - the Anarchy path. Maybe you missed some Missives or artifact hunting quests from Bleden Mark? All of the artifact quests lead you to Edict areas.

vvv Bleden Mark is a cool dude once you get to know them and get in their good graces. Lots of amazing loot too.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 13, 2016

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Gyoru posted:

I did it on the same path as you - the Anarchy path. Maybe you missed some Missives or artifact hunting quests from Bleden Mark? All of the artifact quests lead you to Edict areas.
ohhhhh is that why I missed bits of the game

Guess I'll be doing a second playthrough, and probably Anarchy this time.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Quick question about the start of act three. When the trial began I picked up a whole rank of wrath with Tunon for apparently having missed an earlier court summons? I don't know what he's talking about, though - I came to court last act to report after Vendrien's well, checked in again to judge another Fatebinder in what seemed like a random event, and even checked in one last time before initiating the end-of-act-2 stuff with the Edict. Did I miss something? Or do you always pick up that wrath regardless?

Edit: Just for the sake of it, someone posted some console command cheats earlier for the usual stuff - god mode, add gold and so on, seems like the same ones brought over from the Pillars of Eternity engine. Any chance anyone knows if they added commands for favor/wrath and loyalty/fear? I'd love to be able to mess around with those a bit for fun without having to replay the whole way through, and some combinations are seemingly impossible otherwise (high Disfavored favor if you side with the rebels, for example).

Dolash fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 13, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eej posted:

If you want to min/max like crazy, don't grab any starter mage spells at all because you skip out on a free talent (or two) if you do that. I like holding a shield for tank mage because Shield Bash is really useful since the Daze (slows down their recovery time, so anyone in your face will attack/cast at you less) is awesome. The game isn't really that hard so just go with whatever gimmick makes you happy.

Sounds like a good time.

Now to decide between pure mage, high quickness, and unarmed for maximum spell spam, or a melee character who picks up spells as he goes. Hmmm.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Harrow posted:

Ok, cool.

Interestingly, melee Wizard worked great in PoE, but it was also an option baked into the Wizard class itself, not some weird hybrid option.

I already mentioned this on the last page, but unless you're deliberately ignoring Lore for roleplaying reasons, your character is pretty much guaranteed to become a hybrid spellcaster as the game goes on. The spell creation mechanic is completely independent of the normal leveling system, and there's absolutely no downside to filling up all of your empty slots with spells you can cast.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Harrow posted:

I don't think I've found atrophy yet as of mid-Act 2, so pick that if you want to minmax (although Atrophy doesn't really have a good spell until you get Withering Cloud). It really doesn't matter, though -- non-magic talents are pretty much incompatible with magic PCs, so you're not gaining much by grabbing free talents.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Urthor posted:

The entire engine just punishes hybrid anything because of recovery time. Recovery dictates where you are in the spectrum, never do hybrid anything with PoE engine mechanics, but especially casters this time around.

Unfortunately not. Kills in Shadow looks tanky but really isn't

Mash a jillion vitality into Landry and give him a shield and he can do okay.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

After this first playthrough I have to admit I'm a little bit disappointed with the game. Act 1 was really good, Act 2 was decent but dragged on a bit too much and Act 3 felt rushed as gently caress.

The variety of enemies also sucked compared to PoE, and it seems Obsidian still loves filling the dungeons with boring trash mobs for you to grind through. AI pathfinding somehow felt even more retarded than before. The UI feels worse than PoE.

On the other hand a lot of things in the game make me hopeful for PoE 2, like the really good reputation system with both factions and companions, the spellcrafting system and combat combos.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

Tyranny's combat system seems specifically designed to appeal to the people who hate the per-rest system because of its psychological barriers. There's no penalty for using your abilities as often as possible; in fact, it's encouraged. The only limited resource in this game are consumables, and you get so many of those compared to the battles you fight that they might as well be unlimited as well.

I can understand why this kind of gameplay speaks to many players, but it does nothing for me because you end up going through every encounter with the same combination of abilities. There's little tactical variation you have to account for, so fights become interchangeable very quickly. It's flashy, but not that interesting to actually play.

I agree, timers make combat a slog as while I can keep a pile of "did I use ability X yet?" stuff in my head, I cannot keep track of even a handful of timers without constantly clicking back and forth. And even then there is seemingly little strategy other then "Spam all you best attacks as soon as are available, heal/buff as needed". Without having to hold back anything it just gets tedious. Adding no friendly fire to that and even positioning becomes far far less important. You can just tank/choke-point with the melee guys and everyone else can stand back and shoot AoE spells through them.

I am really enjoying trying to RP it up but I don't know how replayable this is going to be for me. I was so into it at first as well, before I realized that the combat was never going to grow more interesting. I hope they go back to the more PoE style for any future games.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
wow that ending is garbage and it's like obsidian lost half their game or something

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Leper Residue posted:

wow that ending is garbage and it's like obsidian lost half their game or something

DLC

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So on my first playthrough I went with the Chorus. What a bag of dicks. I'm toughing it out but I can't wait for a 2nd playthrough to gently caress them over.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's this area in the Twin Rivers Oldwalls that I can't seem to find a way into. It's down some stairs, has a rune on the wall, and it looks like it's entered from another area. Does anyone know how to get in?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

wiegieman posted:

There's this area in the Twin Rivers Oldwalls that I can't seem to find a way into. It's down some stairs, has a rune on the wall, and it looks like it's entered from another area. Does anyone know how to get in?

There are different torchkeys spread through the Oldwall ruins. You only get the first four in the Lethian's Crossing ruins.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Spikeguy posted:

So on my first playthrough I went with the Chorus. What a bag of dicks. I'm toughing it out but I can't wait for a 2nd playthrough to gently caress them over.

Glad to hear it, I was about to side with the Chorus, but then the Voices threw its temper tantrum and revealed that it had eaten Graven Ashe's son and that put me on, "okay, let's not trust this guy".

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

I don't think I've found atrophy yet as of mid-Act 2, so pick that if you want to minmax (although Atrophy doesn't really have a good spell until you get Withering Cloud). It really doesn't matter, though -- non-magic talents are pretty much incompatible with magic PCs, so you're not gaining much by grabbing free talents.
Grabbing unarmed for the free point into power so you can get Blitz stance faster is probably worthwhile though.

e: Act 2 spoilers: I took the Silent Archive and ran. Is there any reason I shouldn't? Ending the Edicts seems like a good idea in general and preserving it and losing an artifact, even if its one I don't use, seems silly. What am I missing?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 13, 2016

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Has there been any DLC discussions at all? I know it's still early, but I'm becoming an old man in that I'm waiting for games to have the majority of their DLC out and possibly bundled before I buy a game. Especially if it looks like it's one that'll add to / fix the story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spikeguy posted:

Everyone in this game is dicks

I hate everyone except Verse, Eb, Barik and Lantry. Obsidian seemed almost comically eager to make you like every party member but it worked on me so that's fine. Though to be honest it wouldn't have killed them to have made Barik as awful and evil as he looks/smells instead of Another Level-Headed Bro

e: I am not very far, but it doesn't seem likely that anyone will stop being dicks anytime soon

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Glad to hear it, I was about to side with the Chorus, but then the Voices threw its temper tantrum and revealed that it had eaten Graven Ashe's son and that put me on, "okay, let's not trust this guy".

Spoiler: he eats everyone you send to him.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Spikeguy posted:

Spoiler: he eats everyone you send to him.

I know, it is just that outright killing your allied-rival's son and eating his mind seemed like a bridge too far in the Archon's boy's club. And the fact that they blurted it out made it clear the Voices were too unstable to be an ally at all, specially as they have been eating more and more rebels.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

precision posted:

Everyone in this game is dicks

I hate everyone except Verse, Eb, Barik and Lantry. Obsidian seemed almost comically eager to make you like every party member but it worked on me so that's fine. Though to be honest it wouldn't have killed them to have made Barik as awful and evil as he looks/smells instead of Another Level-Headed Bro

e: I am not very far, but it doesn't seem likely that anyone will stop being dicks anytime soon

Barik isn't actually a level headed bro though. He's a racial supremacist and earnestly believes non Northerners have only one proper place in the Empire: slaves.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Barik's head is full of the same stuff that his armour is slowly filling up with. That is, poo poo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How do you change the set of spells at the bottom left of your screen? Like, I want to swap them out so I can quickly access other spells.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I was done with both the disfavored and the chorus the moment I realized there was no way to get them to assault the spire together. We're all going to die in 5 days and you refuse to even be on the same battlefield for one siege? gently caress all of them.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Vegetable posted:

How do you change the set of spells at the bottom left of your screen? Like, I want to swap them out so I can quickly access other spells.

You can press the delete key to remove them, and then drag and drop from the circular menus at the bottom into your hot keys.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Finished my Disfavored playthrough. Now time to do my rebel playthrough. ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA!

As a side note, I find it pretty difficult justifying siding with the Chorus in pretty much any scenario. They're basically an angry mob and even if they weren't mostly a bunch of charmless sociopaths (Verse not withstanding) and their leader wasn't a soul/mind eating psychopath they're basically completely worthless when not at war which kind of sucks when you've conquered everything. I feel like they we're kind of shoe-horned in CE style representation of evil.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
the chorus is really fun to play through because voices is so well written

it is also massively hosed up how many story characters he eats and leaves on spikes... by the end of the game there are like 10 major characters all gored and poo poo

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Sirin's true power is astounding. While I fought through about two hundred Bane in the Oldwall, in her free time she must have figured out how to disable her bridle without removing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzamA_ztYiU

I have no idea why she now has only four songs and goes through each stanza instantly. She was working normally before my latest round of spire/party management. Here's my oldest save if you want to try to figure it out or know where to send it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Basic Chunnel posted:

There are different torchkeys spread through the Oldwall ruins. You only get the first four in the Lethian's Crossing ruins.

I have some more, but they don't seem to do the trick on my second trip. Is there something obvious I'm missing, or do I just need to poke around more?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

~Beeeeaaaat iiiiiiiit~

Wow, I really enjoyed that! Much more than I did Pillars of Eternity, to tell you the truth. Something about the setting and what you're involved in just grabbed me a whole lot more, even the design and style of the game was more distinctive than the more generic fantasy of PoE. I enjoyed the challenge of playing a good person in an overwhelmingly bad world and thought that the length of the game was perfect to allow a lot of interesting choices with varied consequences without making it too long to carry them all out. I don't think the ending was sequel-bait or even expansion-bait, the endings seem much too diverse to provide an easy starting point for another game (unless it takes place on the far side of Kyros's Empire).

As for the story, I took the rebel route, and really enjoyed the sense of building a rebel alliance while trying to maintain a cover of being loyal to Kyros. It was great fun upholding the law while also breaking edicts and freeing the Tiers, and in the end getting Tunon to flip sides and starting to throw Edicts was very satisfying. I had predicted before the game came out that you would become an Exarch of Justice and challenge Tunon, thinking going so far as to challenge the Overlord would be too much for one game, and while I was sort of half-right I'm pleased and impressed with how far you get to go - some of the mysteries of Kyros start to unravel, and some of the stories you hear (like Sirin almost killing him/her) start to make them sound human instead of unbeatable.

My one regret was not being able to bring over Graven Ashe and the Disfavored. Maybe it's possible in some other route, but the rebel route just demands you fight the Disfavored too many times and gives you basically no opportunities to win them over. I had this fond idea of reminding Ashe of his roots fighting against Kyros, joining him and his army to liberate his homeland of the Northern Empire in the first thrust of a campaign to overthrow Kyros. If there's some way to make it happen short of cheats (or hell, even including cheats), let me know! Barik pleading for cooperation in the final battle made me sad.

I'm too busy right now to play again in a hurry, but there's plenty of things I'd like to see in other playthroughs and lots of little mysteries. Going completely lone-wolf crazy-man, refusing all companions and alliances and doing everything solo might be interesting, as would a Graven-Ashe-allied, justice-minded true servant to Kyros or a tyrannical and scheming would-be-Overlord allied to the Scarlet Chorus. I didn't even get to see the Stone Sea, I'll have to stop by next time.

I never really got a handle on the combat system, though that's my failing more than the game's. I just don't know what isn't clicking about it but something about the stats, items and talents involved just sort of wash over me. I played the old Infinity Engine games as a kid and I've played plenty of modern RPGs passably well, maybe it's something to do with the game being almost Baldur's Gate but not quite that makes the experience jarring. I played on the lowest difficulty and let the party AI do the fighting which won me every battle without having to so much as assign potions - the story was interesting enough and flowed quickly enough that the fights were just some flavor that acted as backdrop.

Anyway, I'm going to wind back a few pages and see what everyone else thought of the game, now that it's safe to read the thread!

Dolash fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 13, 2016

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
hmmm i didnt like being railroaded into allying with the side i had LESS wrath and favor with

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
How is this game compared to Mask of the Betrayer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Kenshin posted:

Yes, but that would imply that the upstart was a threat, and again, it's heavily implied in the dialog (including the missive correspondence with a master fatebinder that you never meet in person) that Kyros even indirectly admitting that someone could be a threat would be unprecedented.

Yes, but there being an Archon of Edicts is also completely unprecedented. And while I don't think it's ever stated flat out, it's at least very heavily implied that every Archon can match or beat Kyros in their specific field. Bleden is a better assassin, Sirin is better at enthralling people, Graven has a more loyal army, Voices is a better interrogator. Hell, Cairn took an Edict to the face and deadlocked it for years. So when faced with an Archon who disassembles his Edicts without a problem and who can apparently drop his own without needing to go through the hassle of sending out a herald to detonate the thing on the spot, or to put it another way: Someone who is better with her ultimate deterrent than she's ever shown to be, a little worry is expected.

• Locked thread