Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

That was a pretty good episode but yeah I can't imagine Lance got secret subliminal ninja training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

irlZaphod posted:

That was a pretty good episode but yeah I can't imagine Lance got secret subliminal ninja training.

BARROWMAN :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I was really hoping they were going to go back in the season one direction of killing bad guys, but this episode makes it seem like Ollie's swinging back towards "killing is bad". Having a guy who's only power is shooting arrows not kill people is just dumb.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Tiggum posted:

I was really hoping they were going to go back in the season one direction of killing bad guys, but this episode makes it seem like Ollie's swinging back towards "killing is bad". Having a guy who's only power is shooting arrows not kill people is just dumb.

Next you are gonna tell us that boxing glove arrows are dumb too. :colbert:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Actually this season makes the most sense. Kill when necessary but not when unnecessary.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

Next you are gonna tell us that boxing glove arrows are dumb too. :colbert:

Nah they are awesome. But what is real not dumb is shooting an arrow down the barrel of a gun. gently caress yeah!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nelson posted:

Actually this season makes the most sense. Kill when necessary but not when unnecessary.
Nah, season one was great because it was like if Batman wasn't really stupid. Either go all in on the vigilante thing or don't bother.

BSam posted:

Nah they are awesome. But what is real not dumb is shooting an arrow down the barrel of a gun. gently caress yeah!
Both of those things were great. There's room for murdering bad guys in the name of justice alongside having fun.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

nelson posted:

There are 4 mini-Felicities now to stop Ollie from killing.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

irlZaphod posted:

There are 4 mini-Felicities now to stop Ollie from killing.

I don't think Wyld Dawg would give much opposition.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

nooneofconsequence posted:

I don't think Wyld Dawg would give much opposition.

I liked that bit, where everyone is freaking out about Oliver having a hit list while Wild Dog is all "yeah so?"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like that true to character consistency. I liked the part where they all thought The Hood was Roy who died in prison because that's what anyone not in the inner circle and just going on the news probably would have thought. I liked how it was Evelyn who was most bothered because he shot down her own quest for revenge. How Ragman was kind of like "ok, I went on a revenge kick too but a list is kind of extreme."

They just did a good job juggling a lot of characters having proper reactions for themselves and not just the narrative.

Unlike some others in here I don't think Oliver should just start murdering everyone with no remorse. That would be a major step backwards for his character and make most of these people working with him untrue to their characters if they went with it. He found his sweet spot with Damian Darkh where he'll kill if he needs to but doesn't use it as a first resort. Now he's just got all this residual guilt for what he's done that he has to deal with in a new way with fresh eyes with these recruits. Which is good. That's a hurdle Oliver SHOULD have to deal with when he's telling a bunch of new vigilantes to not do the things he did when he started.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Didn't he already have this revelation seasons ago with Count Vertigo? Why are we still dealing with this seasons later?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

When you take on a bunch of new proteges something like "I was previously an unrepentant serial killer before I made friends" is going to end up rearing its head sooner or later.

That episode wasn't really about Oliver wrestling with it anymore. He had one talk with Diggle to reassure himself that he had changed. Diggle and Felicity weren't upset because they've dealt with this already. It was about the new kids coming to terms with what is an unquestionably horrible past.

If anything, people who don't want to rehash this should probably be happy that it seemed to largely get resolved in this episode. It could have gotten strung out a lot more in typical Arrow/CW fashion.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 12, 2016

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Klungar posted:

Didn't he already have this revelation seasons ago with Count Vertigo? Why are we still dealing with this seasons later?

Backsliding is part of the process too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Klungar posted:

I think his conclusion there was actually not to kill no matter what.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Aphrodite posted:

I think his conclusion there was actually not to kill no matter what.

I thought he broke his no-kill rule to kill Vertigo because he was going to kill Felicity?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, and then he became super must not kill Ollie, until Darhk.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would have thought everyone would be just ok with it. He's probably killed hundreds of people by now.

It's not all the time, half of these clowns come back from the dead anyway.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Oliver should have pointed out he was killing the bourgeois and that if they didn't join in his proletariat revolt they should leave.

All the episodes this season have been pretty good. Really liked Dolph Lundgren

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, and then he became super must not kill Ollie, until Darhk.
That rule only applied on American soil.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So is it time to change the thread title now that this show is good again?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

What do you mean? It's always been good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I actually agree with you, but that's not what the typical perception has been. We need to get people back on board. I remember when there would be pages of liveposting.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I do wish they used Dig more in the previous seasons bringing the counter point of a solider. Dig has killed people before, granted under the authority of the government, and realizes that sometimes death is the only option.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Not to start anything, but I disagree. Dig had been used perfectly throughout the series and has been the perfect counter-point to Oliver at almost every moment when called for. He can't defend The List to the recruits because he was just as critical of it and was even the first to imply that Oliver was insane and a potential serial killer, not a soldier.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dig was awesome until they brought I'm his supposed to be dead brother.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Don't jinx it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Dig was awesome until they brought I'm his supposed to be dead brother.

Yeah, Dig's brother was so obviously going to betray them. That plotline was just so obnoxious to watch because you knew exactly where it was going to end.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Laurel's death gave is the best grief by way of Diggle's anger.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, Dig's brother was so obviously going to betray them. That plotline was just so obnoxious to watch because you knew exactly where it was going to end.

Really? I was surprised by it - to me the cliche/predictable ending would have been for Andy to betray them, but then be redeemed and probably die in a heroic sacrifice. Having him betray his brother at every turn and just keep trying to kill his own family every time until his own brother had no choice but to kill him in cold blood was more brutal than I expected.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Oliver should have pointed out he was killing the bourgeois and that if they didn't join in his proletariat revolt they should leave.

This, but unironically.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

I actually agree with you, but that's not what the typical perception has been. We need to get people back on board. I remember when there would be pages of liveposting.
Last season was kind of bad.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

irlZaphod posted:

Last season was kind of bad.

I think the goon consensus is the seasons tend to start strong but end up weak. Hopefully this one will be good all the way through.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The 1st 2 seasons were especially on fire around or at the 14th episode so I'm using that as a benchmark.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

bentacos posted:

Don't jinx it.
What if it was subtle? like

Arrow Season 5 - Not just watching to understand the crossover event anymore

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
yo Dolph is still a monster.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 13, 2016

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Dead Snoopy posted:

The 1st 2 seasons were especially on fire around or at the 14th episode so I'm using that as a benchmark.

Peak Season 2 and peak Arrow to me will always be

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Not gonna lie, "The Climb" was a really good episode too. Ra's completely dominating Oliver and kicking his rear end off the mountain was amazing especially leading into the midseason break. a shame the rest of season 3 was mediocre

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oroborus posted:

What if it was subtle? like

Arrow Season 5 - Not just watching to understand the crossover event anymore

Nah, they changed last seasons title ever so slightly, then it got poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Bad Moon posted:

Peak Season 2 and peak Arrow to me will always be

I'm so glad someone got a kick out of that :)

• Locked thread