Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dec 26, 2012

Jackard posted:

Blegh just started tinkering with CSS and HTML for the first time in like 12 years so I can get a custom character sheet running in Roll20. It's an edit of the new official one

The official sheet has an upper portion you can minimize going mostly unused - I shoved a bunch of stuff into that

no idea what the gently caress im doing when it gets into the coding bits

If you need help with the coding bits, feel free to post it. Is it just JavaScript?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Solomonic posted:

One thing I've kinda learned over the past few years of playing 13th Age is that Pelgrane kinda runs on Pelgrane Time

It's a little frustrating - like sometimes Monthly just feels like they realized 'oh poo poo, we haven't done anything with 13th Age all month because of Time Stories or whatever' and shovelwared something out the door - but I'm obsessed with the game enough to just kinda overlook that. I really want that demonologist book, though. That class has a substantial chance of being Rad As H*ck.

More like Rob Heinsoo runs on Rob Heinsoo time -- he's the first to admit that he's slow. That's the main reason Glorantha is late, and why the Book of Demons is still in dev and 13th Age Monthly either comes in just under the wire, or just past the wire.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

01011001 posted:

If you need help with the coding bits, feel free to post it. Is it just JavaScript?
Sure. I can manage layout but the coding escapes me. My edit is here: http://pastebin.com/QmgpEsz8

I think it's Javascript and a mix of whatever Roll20 is using for their macros... maybe more of the same? Here are some examples.

Source for the original is found here: https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/tree/master/13th%20Age%20Official

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has anyone else been running Tales/organized play? My group's behind and just got to the halfway point of Tides of Fate 1, and I have to say...I feel like the quality's been dropping on these adventures.

Like, this adventure has no set-up apart from "the PCs need to find a flying ship, it's over in that direction past the Blood Wood, get going" and picks up right in the middle of the Blood Wood. There's no introductory bit or anything, and every part of the adventure acts like everyone will just know what they have to do (like how they apparently know the ship they need is inside this temple they stumble over). "This is the temple of blahbiblah, make three skill rolls to get through the maze, and they find the dingus they apparently needed to find."

Like, I get that they have this whole drop-in-drop-out concept they want to use, but the ridiculous linearity is pretty annoying, and about a third of the time I wind up rewriting endbosses to make them more interesting than just party-v-solo slugfests (*coughendofDungeonsofDrahkenhall*).

The last set with the dwarf city was really good because it gave a lot of NPCs for the players to deal with, and some of the stuff from last season had some open-ended bits and things for people to do other than get through the two fights per session, but these latest ones...they're not that good.

Like, is this whole drop-in-drop-out setup something that's really needed? I've had the same group for years now, and even with D&D's organized play it's the same people at the same tables each week. I feel like they're hamstringing themselves with this format and keeping the adventures from feeling like adventures rather than just two combats a week.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I am, but my party is just about to fight the brain in Race to Starport. I'm honestly swithering on whether and how to to continue the path just because both it and Into the Underworld cover the same level range and I'm unsure if ironfire has any direct tie ins to the previous adventures.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
My book, New Fighter Maneuvers & Talents, is now a Best Copper Seller on Drive-Thru RPG.

I feel happy, and since I showcased it earlier in this thread, I'd like to thank all the 13th Age fans here. I couldn't have done it without you folks!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Libertad! posted:

My book, New Fighter Maneuvers & Talents, is now a Best Copper Seller on Drive-Thru RPG.

I feel happy, and since I showcased it earlier in this thread, I'd like to thank all the 13th Age fans here. I couldn't have done it without you folks!

Congrats! I really enjoyed the new options the book provided.

Out of curiosity, did you need to contact Fire Opal to get permission to sell it, or did you just use the commercial Archmage Engine license? I really want to get a polished version of the Seeker class together one day.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

I contacted Fire Opal, as they are more protective of how 3rd party publishers use their license than the base 3.X or 5E OGL. This probably results in less third party 13th Age stuff out there, but that may be a good thing in that it helps quality control.

However I had pretty much free reign in designing my book; it's not like Pelgrane Press was looking over each maneuver and going "yes, yes, no" or anything like that. Although I also got input and help from Covok and djw175 in making sure things were properly balanced.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Libertad! posted:

Just reading through this now, it looks cool so far. While Iron Hand seems to be intended primarily for barehanded Kung Fu types, if I'm reading this right you can also be a Roronoa Zoro type, throwing around projectile cuts from your swords.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
So, I worked on a thing.

It's not all that well written and needs to be divided up real badly, but it's my general take on DtAS and how to use that to make challenges and/or mix backgrounds best with combat in the form of stunts. Or at least it started on that and eventually morphed into me talking a whole lot about background usage and challenge design, but hey, it's still loosely rooted into DtAS.

Ideally I'd use this to springboard into redesigning some classes and ultimately making my ridiculously self indulgent "Ice Age" homebrew variant of 13a, but, well, we'll see.

I in part did this because I absolutely needed something to push my brain into these last two-three days and this was just kinda what it fit into.

So hey, if you have the time and/or energy, let me know how much of it's good and how much of it is irredeemable garbage.

It's this piece of poo poo right here

The vague next on the list would be changing up the rogue some.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

More DtAS is always appreciated. I've been using Flat Stats

Is there anything wrong with Flat Stats math? Yours suggests starting with +4 attack and they suggest +5 attack or +4 if multiclassing. My players didn't like how similar their attacks felt so I was thinking of going with "distribute 5/3 (4/2?) between melee and ranged attacks"

Does your version not add level bonus to background rolls?

Weaknesses posted:

Sometimes, what a character is bad at is just as noteworthy as what they're good at. One thing GMs might push for is to give players a single skill at a negative 3 for them to decide on. The priestess who Always Falls For A Pretty Face. The fighter with No Sense Of Direction. The rogue who's Just Plain Illiterate. The wizard who Gets Winded After A Light Jog. Now, the downside to weaknesses is twofold. One, you could end up with players who try to avoid their weaknesses ever actually coming into play (which could mean giving themselves a particularly toothless weakness - and this is a case where there is no rule to help, you're going to have to actually talk to them). And two, they might not even intentionally do this, but simple find their weakness isn't much of one. After all, the benefit of traveling in a group is to make up for those weaknesses! As such, weaknesses mean that the GM has to work a bit harder to put PCs in situations where their weaknesses have an effect. Feed the party bad information by having the femme fatale approach the cleric when separated from the others. Other ways to have them come into play could be putting a negative spotlight on them using overarching background checks; trying to jog through the middle of the untamed jungle? Make the wizard be the one who makes the actual background check, and let the other PCs scramble and figure out how to help them survive.
Are you familiar with Mouse Guard / Burning Wheel? They have a mechanic that gives players incentives to use character traits against themselves. What if rolling a poor background had some unrelated benefit, like an extra icon die?

xiw posted:

My issue with backgrounds are:

* they serve two purposes, both skill checks in game and defining your character. Tightly-defined backgrounds are better at defining your character, broad backgrounds are far more useful in play. The examples include both 'chef' and 'thief' - you're gonna roll one way more than the other. It's also easy to pick two backgrounds that overlap because you want to say you were previously both.
* you allocate 8 points among them. This means you probably have good and bad backgrounds. This means you're incentivised to try and roll your 5-pt background instead of a more-appropriate 1-pt background - and they're generally easy to argue. The example of play in the book suggests doing this!

I'd be happier with

* pick three backgrounds. you get +3 to checks when using a background.
(replaces point allocation)
* free background reallocation between full rests to cover ones that turn out to be inapplicable / too narrow / too broad.
Tried this in a session over Halloween and it did not feel great.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 13, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think I always assumed that making players come up with weird stories on the fly about how exactly being a Space Insurance Salesman +5 gives you insight on escaping armed guards was the intended behavior of backgrounds.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That was always my take on it, too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"Of course Elven Male Model applies to a stealth roll, how do you think I learned how to dodge teleporting paparazzi high elves?"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Night10194 posted:

"Of course Elven Male Model applies to a stealth roll, how do you think I learned how to dodge teleporting paparazzi high elves?"

I'm glad my group isn't the only one where "Male Model" is one of the more prominent backgrounds of one of the players.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I'm glad my group isn't the only one where "Male Model" is one of the more prominent backgrounds of one of the players.

He had a 20 Strength as an elf. He was basically an elven ex-Jojo (except none of us had seen JoJo at the time) who was in love with the Blue because she didn't treat him like a piece of meat.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Jackard posted:

More DtAS is always appreciated. I've been using Flat Stats

Is there anything wrong with Flat Stats math? Yours suggests starting with +4 attack and they suggest +5 attack or +4 if multiclassing. My players didn't like how similar their attacks felt so I was thinking of going with "distribute 5/3 (4/2?) between melee and ranged attacks"

Does your version not add level bonus to background rolls?

Yeah, you still add level to everything.

I hadn't seen flat stats and it looks like they came to pretty much the same conclusions I did!

quote:

Are you familiar with Mouse Guard / Burning Wheel? They have a mechanic that gives players incentives to use character traits against themselves. What if rolling a poor background had some unrelated benefit, like an extra icon die?

Yeah, I hit that wall a bit. I wanted to make weaknesses something that players have a reason to bring up somehow, but couldn't think of a good "reward" for them.

quote:

Tried this in a session over Halloween and it did not feel great.

As someone who's thinking of doing the same thing, why is that?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

My Lovely Horse posted:

That was always my take on it, too.

Pretty much, I'm totally fine with weird background applications but I wasn't happy with well, you have a +1 background in Picking Locks and +5 in Hairdressing so you'll use a bobby pin to trip the catch - on the one hand cool, on the other hand what's the point of the +1 background then

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

Combined with DtAS there was no longer anything mechanical to set the characters apart and they felt interchangeable

When it comes to backgrounds something like 4/3/2 or 5/3 may be for the best

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 13, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anything for switching the daily system out for mana points? My players like that system more and I want to be accomodating. I'd rather not create a whole new system from scratch though >.<

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Just reading through this now, it looks cool so far. While Iron Hand seems to be intended primarily for barehanded Kung Fu types, if I'm reading this right you can also be a Roronoa Zoro type, throwing around projectile cuts from your swords.

I am not familiar with One Piece, but looking up that dude you can definitely reflavor Ki Blasts, Quick Throw, and probably more than a few Heaven's Eye maneuvers as long as they're considered ranged attacks mechanically speaking. Personally I'd treat a one-handed sword as a thrown weapon for projectile cuts, two-handed swords as crossbows.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

xiw posted:

Pretty much, I'm totally fine with weird background applications but I wasn't happy with well, you have a +1 background in Picking Locks and +5 in Hairdressing so you'll use a bobby pin to trip the catch - on the one hand cool, on the other hand what's the point of the +1 background then
Yeah, that would be the point where I'd put my foot down and say, no stretching backgrounds to include things that are clearly in the area of one of your other backgrounds. Or anyone else's, in fact. Actually especially anyone else's because you're keeping that player from rolling dice.

I also feel like high bonus backgrounds should be more specific than low bonus ones as a kind of balancing factor, with the understanding that it's not the kind of balance where I ran any maths.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 14, 2016

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
My players and I were discussing the background system and we came up with a way to assign backgrounds that would try to help balance them a little bit. You have 3 backgrounds, but they have to fit into three categories. Profession, upbringing, hobby.

That way, you get a sense of what kind of work they've done, how they were raised, and a bit of their interests. You don't get much overlap and it helps balance them out.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Jackard posted:

Combined with DtAS there was no longer anything mechanical to set the characters apart and they felt interchangeable

When it comes to backgrounds something like 4/3/2 or 5/3 may be for the best

In Anima Prime, each character has three skills at 4/3/2, but you mark a skill when you use it and get a bonus when you've marked all three (which makes it better mechanically than just using your best skill all the time). Something like that might make it feel better to use your worse backgrounds, even if that specific roll still has more chance of failure.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds like a good incentive. What kind of bonus was it?

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I don't think you could just slap it in, unfortunately. It's a similar system to Mythender, where you start out with maneuver dice, roll them (adding your skill), and 4s and 5s become strike dice (which you can then roll to actually damage things) and 6s become charge dice (which you can spend to activate powers). So by using all your skills, you roll 3 fewer dice over 3 maneuvers, but in exchange you get 2 dice to put in either your strike or charge pool as you like - a net gain on average, especially if you want charge dice.

Of course, that's all used in combat/contests, whereas backgrounds are mostly out of combat. A straight conversion would probably give you a token you could use for +4 to a background check (or maybe 2d20 take highest/a reroll). With Ettin's system, maybe you could use one for an auto-success stunt? Alternatively you could just go for a story bonus, like icon dice, but if someone's taking the spotlight on skills checks a lot already that could exacerbate it. This would definitely need you to make sure failure has consequences, too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This kinda just feels like shifting the issue with "my hairdresser background applies to opening locks with a hairpin" from "because that's my +5 background" to "because that's the last one I need to use to get a bonus."

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Absolutely, but at least there's more variety than just hairdresser all the time. It also broadens your scope for "things I can do which make sense while also being mechanically optimal" on at least 2/3 of rolls.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, you still add level to everything.

I hadn't seen flat stats and it looks like they came to pretty much the same conclusions I did!

Yeah, I hit that wall a bit. I wanted to make weaknesses something that players have a reason to bring up somehow, but couldn't think of a good "reward" for them.

Well, when I made Flat Stats, I just asked three optimizers in my group, credited on the page, what stats an optimized 13th Age character would have. They went on like "Well ,you got to have +5 to atk and dam and +3 Con, etc. etc." Then, I just said "alright, you just get that. No need for Attributes to decide it." I really just made it because, at the risk of being divisive, I saw the latest drop for DTAS to cover multiclassing, looked at how complicated it was, and just went "alright, this could be much, much, much simpler."

I can get if people feel it makes it harder to differentiate characters from one another, but, personally, I've never view attributes as a big sign of uniqueness in TRPG characters. Heck, the last thing you ever want when introducing characters is someone boringly listing out their attributes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

13th Age is a decent enough game but I find myself using it less and less.

I suppose part of it is I'm just not as excited about 'But you can steal a CONCEPT!' as a character ability and more annoyed with 'But the Rogue is still mostly a boring class that makes a basic attack every turn while the wizard has a pile of more active abilities'. It's nice that the 'boring' classes are still mechanically effective, and the game is definitely a huge improvement on 3e/Pathfinder. But the setting is terrible cookie-cutter 'epic' and everywhere there's still a sop to 3e just ends up awkward and weird.

As to the role of mechanical difference in uniqueness, a lot of that comes from the desire to have a rich enough system to experiment with different mechanical approaches and then use them to inform roleplaying. Having more ways to play a warrior or wizard or whatever mechanically gives you more ways to engage with the game's actual rules, which are still a part of the enjoyment of playing a game.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
It's not a perfect game by any means, but it's such a step in the right direction for the hobby. I just hope the rumored 6e takes the right lessons from this game, because it's, at worst, an incomplete evolution of the d20 fantasy game, and at its best, a lesson in elegant innovation on an existing mechanical chassis.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think it's a game that's really fun for your first 3-4 campaigns in it and then gets old, mechanically.

It's also a game that could really use a second edition. I'm pretty sure with the awareness and lessons learned from the first 13th Age a genuine second edition building on it could be something special.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think most people acknowledge 13th Age's flaws, it's just that the bar is really low after lots of people are still married to 3.PF after all this time (and PF itself not really being any huge reinvention of 3.5) and the abandonment of the 4e model.

Yes, 13th Age still has some ultimately conservative hold-outs from its heritage, but it's a drat sight better than what came out of Mearls's workshop. Like, 13 True Ways is a bigger book than anything 5e has put out so far, and I presume there's more adventure-content in Pelgrane's periodic releases than there are D&D 5e adventure modules.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Pelgrane has released more words of extra player content for 13th Age since it came out than WOTC has released for 5e since 5e came out. 5e's extra player content mostly amounts to a few new rules for fighters and some spells, all of which came out through their online magazine. 13th Age in Glorantha is MASSIVE with tons of setting content. If you like 13th Age but are looking for more interesting martial stuff and more interesting setting, buckle in for 13th Age in Glorantha. Apparently they're just handling layout now and then it's released?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I complain about backgrounds but there's still lots of really good stuff in this game - like the way intercepting / engaging works is still really smooth at the table and works great with or without figures.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm really looking forward to the Glorantha book. The FATAL and Friends write up on Runequest makes it seem like the setting would go well with 13A's story mechanics (Icons and Backgrounds and OUTs and so on.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Glorantha's actually replacing the Icons with Runes, since that's obviously a big part of how the setting operates.

Also I may never play a straight fighter again if Humakti are an option.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Glorantha's actually replacing the Icons with Runes, since that's obviously a big part of how the setting operates.

Also I may never play a straight fighter again if Humakti are an option.

I have good news.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Is Glorantha going to be a completely different game that just uses the 13th age system and general rules, or is it going to be a stand alone source book using Glorantha's setting that would be worthwhile even if you don't care about Glorantha itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Oh, I've pledged and seen the preview and I like what I've seen so far, but like, some people might get weirded if you wanna play a Glorantha-specific fighter variant that can hit people so hard their soul falls out in a Dragon Empire game and also he's a talking anthropomorphic duck.

(Not me though. Death Drakes for everyone, everywhere. In all games.)