Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I sleep-darted the two chilling on the chandelier and one fell off and landed all legs akimbo on the stacks of boxes below. I assumed she was dead but I went and checked and it said she was just unconscious. I mean, she'll probably wake up a quadriplegic but I didn't kill her!
I jumped on top of one later on and knocked her out but she was a little too close to a brazier and went up like a torch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Casimir Radon posted:

There's one standing on top of a statue that falls down and dies if you sleep dart her. I went back and did the non-lethal solution, and they were all knocked out but fine. It's all a but wonky right now.

Hmm. Interesting. Fairly certain the only two witches I didn't knock out and put in a big pile were the two lazing around at the base of the big display in the main hall. They seemed so content and happy with life that I didn't want to interrupt them. When I went back to the courtyard the two witches I had placed in the dumpster were dead. Only one death counted against me maybe I'm missed something. Doesn't matter now. They'll all be dead the next time I play...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Some of the rooms in this game are like, so loving hard to stealth through. Jesus.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I felt bad about killing witches after discovering some books and pillows on a high up window sill. That was such a nice peaceful tableau. These ladies just like to do magic and hang out on architecture, if anyone can relate it should be Corvo and Emily.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Just finished the Clockwork Mansion mission, my thoughts so far:

1. Not sure how it is for the rest of you, but hand to hand combat remains clunky to me like it did in D1. I play with the keyboard and mouse, so that's probably a factor. Stealth wise I don't have a problem, but when it comes to sword fights nothing ever goes smoothly.

2. Speaking of stealth, its just as excellent as it was in the first game. I don't mind the extra sensitivity the guards have in detecting you, just means I need to be smarter and more patient while being stealthy.

3. There's more to explore and to be rewarded for and I absolutely love it.

4. I do miss the old Outsider voice, but the new guy eventually grew on me. Same thing with Corvo's voice actor, but I think that's mainly because I always expected him to have kind of an accent since hes from SpainItaly

5. Been playing on Very High with not many performance issues, but it really does feel like things should be much more smoother than they are. Can't wait to see what the patch will improve.

6. gently caress bloodflies and the guy who thought them up.

7. I want to buy whoever came up with parry-choke a beer.

8. No sympathy for non-lethalling Jindosh. He subjected other people to the therapy, not just Sokolov. gently caress him.

9. Game. Is. Gorgeous.

All in all I'm having a blast.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

I'm glad that this one turned out pretty decent given the sort of weird development cycle. I enjoyed the first title.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

Clockwork Soldiers are fun to fight if you're going balls-out Chaos like me, but I can definitely see why they can be a pain in the rear end for stealthy players; why exactly do they need to get drop assassinated twice and how are they so good at spotting you?

For stealth, you can use your pistol or upgraded crossbow with hardened bolts to destroy the clockwork soldiers' heads (might take a bit of practice) which makes them blind and go into audio only mode. Then you can just sneak around them no worries.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Roman Reigns posted:

gently caress bloodflies and the guy who thought them up.

I crafted a 4xBone Charm that restores health from killing blood flies and I just now remembered I can craft the one that restores mana for doing the same - bloodflies are my friends! :3:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

I felt bad about killing witches after discovering some books and pillows on a high up window sill. That was such a nice peaceful tableau. These ladies just like to do magic and hang out on architecture, if anyone can relate it should be Corvo and Emily.
On the other hand any place you find witches you also find tons of senseless mass murder.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I crafted a 4xBone Charm that restores health from killing blood flies and I just now remembered I can craft the one that restores mana for doing the same - bloodflies are my friends! :3:

I hate your friends. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Roman Reigns posted:

I hate your friends. :colbert:

Spend some time with them, you'll suddenly love them and want to hang out with them all the time and defend them if some jerk tries to set fire to them!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mission 3 question: at the very start there is a crank - but I can't figure out what turning it triggers?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Spend some time with them, you'll suddenly love them and want to hang out with them all the time and defend them if some jerk tries to set fire to them!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

For all the hyper-alert rock-throwing ledge-hopping guards introduced in Dishonored 2, blood flies seem like a total non-threat. When I find an infested house now I just charge in swinging my sword like a madman and chop the nests to pieces and swat all the flies while I'm at it. Usually take a few stings but they barely even do any damage and healing potions are super common so eh. I'm not very far in though so maybe they get more threatening later somehow?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I did a High Chaos run and the blood flies remain harmless for the entire game.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they should probably do more damage or apply some kind of slowing effect to your attacks so you can't just flail away at the nest and disperse them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

From a few pages back but the discussion of the nonlethal routes being not a straight up "OH YOU'RE A SAINT AND THE BAD PERSON IS GONE FOREVER" seems like an unambiguously good thing to me. Make you loving think hard about whether or not nonlethal is the true "moral" choice.

That said if the complaint was they're TOO safe and saccharine with benefits for all well yeah that's bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

From a few pages back but the discussion of the nonlethal routes being not a straight up "OH YOU'RE A SAINT AND THE BAD PERSON IS GONE FOREVER" seems like a good thing to me. Make you loving think hard about whether or not nonlethal is the true "moral" choice.

That said if the complaint was they're TOO safe and saccharine with benefits for all well yeah that's bad.

They're a bit of a mix of all three options. There are some where the lethal option is just kind of absurdly unnecessary, ones where the non-lethal option is arguably worse than killing them and a couple where it's an actual option.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

They're a bit of a mix of all three options. There are some where the lethal option is just kind of absurdly unnecessary, ones where the non-lethal option is arguably worse than killing them and a couple where it's an actual option.

See I like that, personally. It makes it sound like there's nuance outside of "KILL = BAD, NOT KILL = GOOD"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

See I like that, personally. It makes it sound like there's nuance outside of "KILL = BAD, NOT KILL = GOOD"

The game basically tries to treat it like Cynicism vs Optimism which I think kiiiinda works but not always. Optimism being lobotomy is pretty lol.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

This is much better than Dishonored 1, where the lethal option is "well they're dead good work" and the non-lethal option is always "they're still alive but will burn in hell and suffer forever so you may as well do this instead". Having that always be the case gets sort of boring.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

If only you could talk to the enemies

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You jest, but in a number of cases, you can! I count 4 assassination targets you can straight-up just talk to off the top of my head if you want. This usually leads to a fight or dire consequences but hey you can do it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

on the way back from the clockwork mansion mission, I saw some wacky poo poo happening in the town square. some loving exorcist poo poo on top of a ticket booth with ghostly teleporting back and forth in the same space. what the gently caress

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

You jest, but in a number of cases, you can! I count 4 assassination targets you can straight-up just talk to off the top of my head if you want. This usually leads to a fight or dire consequences but hey you can do it.

as it turns out my pedantic whining betrays the fact I have not played dishonored 2 and just really really want to and hope it isn't poo poo

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cowcaster posted:

If only you could talk to the enemies

you can hug them, thats enough for me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

as it turns out my pedantic whining betrays the fact I have not played dishonored 2 and just really really want to and hope it isn't poo poo

It's real good my man.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

on the way back from the clockwork mansion mission, I saw some wacky poo poo happening in the town square. some loving exorcist poo poo on top of a ticket booth with ghostly teleporting back and forth in the same space. what the gently caress
That's just a taste of what is to come. Have you not played the DLC for the first game?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mission 3 question: at the very start there is a gear- but I can't figure out what turning it does? It makes a sound like a secret opened up though?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The pipe?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

double nine posted:

Mission 3 question: at the very start there is a gear- but I can't figure out what turning it does? It makes a sound like a secret opened up though?

It just turns off the fountain I think.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

double nine posted:

If you have the possession power you can jump into a fish and swim up deeper into the level.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Lakbay posted:

I dismissed Shadow Walk because it sounded kinda lame and generic but oh man the animation for it kicks rear end

Every skill in this game has a great payoff, I love it. Even the blinding arrows... I didn't expect them to be huge flashbangs. I am definitely saving those for my high chaos playthrough.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just finished my High Chaos playthrough using Fus Roh Dah Windblast. It is stupidly strong and a great time. I love just gathering as many guards into one area and slamming them all against a wall, making it rain extremities.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sab669 posted:

I just finished my High Chaos playthrough using Fus Roh Dah Windblast. It is stupidly strong and a great time. I love just gathering as many guards into one area and slamming them all against a wall, making it rain extremities.

Counterpoint:

nyaaaaaa!

NYAAAAAA

DREAM BAD DREAMS

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I get the rune in the basement of the hospital in mission 3?

Specifically how do I get into the basement?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

take the elevator to the top floor, climb on top of the elevator, cut the cables at the weak points, and the elevator will smash through the wood boards into the basement.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

If that's the one I'm thinking of, shoot the two red cable-things holding the Elevator up. It'll crash through the floor.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
Regarding Clockwork Soldiers, I've found that they become a lot more manageable when you shoot them twice in the head (from a vantage point or via corner peeking) to decapitate them. This wrecks the cameras and makes the robot switch to sound detection mode, which renders it immobile and a complete non-threat if you just sneak. Then you can pop them twice in the back with a crossbow or just leave them alone.

• Locked thread