Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Yep. Also for the Clockwork mansion, if you're going for stealth Don't pull the lever inside the entrance, just break the glass in the ceiling and sneak around in the walls; there are less clockwork soldiers around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I've just started this game and wow, it's amazing. Only on the second mission but there's so much to do! Framerate was ok up to Karnaca but now it's pretty crappy on a i2500k/970. I might wait for a patch.

One really cool thing is how much hidden content there is. I jumped on a train during mission one and could have skipped the whole level if I'd wanted to, but I went back and explored and found a bar, a newspaper office, a warehouse etc.It reminds me of Thief, with how much you can miss. Does it stay this open throughout?

Is there any way to deal with those fish in the water?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spermanent Record posted:

I've just started this game and wow, it's amazing. Only on the second mission but there's so much to do! Framerate was ok up to Karnaca but now it's pretty crappy on a i2500k/970. I might wait for a patch.

One really cool thing is how much hidden content there is. I jumped on a train during mission one and could have skipped the whole level if I'd wanted to, but I went back and explored and found a bar, a newspaper office, a warehouse etc.It reminds me of Thief, with how much you can miss. Does it stay this open throughout?

Yeah, the game has fairly open levels the entire way through. Some more than others but it's generally good about it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Spermanent Record posted:

Get on land nearby, use dark vision to make them easy to see, then shoot them

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Man I hate how the bonecharms you find are randomly generated like the first game, I'm going stealthy, non-lethal but I've gotten every lethal/assault charm and I have still yet to get faster choke out and I think I'm close to the end of the game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Part of the problem is there are not enough bone charms that specifically favor non lethal, while a ton of them either favor both or specifically lethal. Strong arms was insanely, disproportionately powerful in dishonored 1. That one bone charm singlehandedly controlled what moves you could safely make as a low chaos guy. There's a whole bunch of bone charms that are really situational perks at best, like "drop assassinating someone gives you a bit of health" and then there's "you choke out and haul people over your shoulder 3x faster." If the idea was to have all bone charms be as good as strong arms then a lot of others need to be brought up to its level, while if they aren't meant to make as big of a difference as strong arms does, then it's way too powerful.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Lakbay posted:

Man I hate how the bonecharms you find are randomly generated like the first game, I'm going stealthy, non-lethal but I've gotten every lethal/assault charm and I have still yet to get faster choke out and I think I'm close to the end of the game

I got the "sometimes don't spend mana when using abilities" for my third one :unsmigghh:

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Did anyone really get into charm or rune crafting? I made one but it doesn't seem too great or even necessary to complete the game. I was no kills low chaos though, I don't know if it makes a difference.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Noirex posted:

Did anyone really get into charm or rune crafting? I made one but it doesn't seem too great or even necessary to complete the game. I was no kills low chaos though, I don't know if it makes a difference.

I was wondering about that. Seems that there are so many things to spend runes on, and without knowing exactly how many I'm going to be getting I'd rather just put them into my cool powers initially.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Noirex posted:

Never got into it, something about the percentage to get a bad bonecharm turned me off. Having said that, I'm doing fine with my first playthrough, which is also no kills low chaos.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was going to but I ran into the stacking Strong Arms issue. I thought maybe only stacking 3x would work but that was slow too.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Noirex posted:

Yup, and I ended up with pretty much infinite sleep darts, stun mines that could clear entire rooms, and a mesmerize that instantly knocked out anybody else left with one right click 4 at a time. The last level of the game was an exercise in overpowered-ness even by Dishonored 1 standards.

And as a bonus you can make back a couple extra runes when you reach the end of the tree.

RedFlag fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 14, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Concurred posted:

I got the "sometimes don't spend mana when using abilities" for my third one :unsmigghh:
Same, just managed to quadcraft it without corrupting it. Gonna see how that works out, ahahaha.

I guess this has been talked about before but holy gently caress, what did they do to Darkvision? Just having it be a pulse would be fine, but orange on orange? Do they just hate having things clear/loathe the colourblind? And the thing has incredibly bad range; I don't know how many times I tried to use it to see if there were more guys around, only see one, then discover, hey guess what, there was another one just outside its pathetic range.

All it does is get me to save before every encounter because I can't know if there's someone just lounging half a basketball court away that will spot me choking a dude. Does upgrading it actually improve it at all? I mean, I can't imagine trying to use it to find items either; it doesn't highlight them afterwards or anything?

It really is a sharp slap after how useful it was in the first game. I get trying to change the idea of using it constantly but there is such a thing as going too far.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Noirex posted:

Yes. Stacking all the various speed boosting ones 4x (speed while weapons are sheathed, speed while crouchwalking, et al) made me rocket around like I was on rollerskates and it was incredibly fun, and absolutely worth the rune investment.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Roman Reigns posted:

Never got into it, something about the percentage to get a bad bonecharm turned me off. Having said that, I'm doing fine with my first playthrough, which is also no kills low chaos.

Fully upgrading the crafting means there's almost zero chance of it being corrupt at 4 traits versions, plus you can craft runes with your excess whalebone that you're not using.

It's basically a no brainer to get it.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

...I should probably start crafting.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I guess this has been talked about before but holy gently caress, what did they do to Darkvision? Just having it be a pulse would be fine, but orange on orange? Do they just hate having things clear/loathe the colourblind? And the thing has incredibly bad range; I don't know how many times I tried to use it to see if there were more guys around, only see one, then discover, hey guess what, there was another one just outside its pathetic range.

Dark vision was pretty broken in D1, so I can see why they nerfed it.

You could also argue it's just Corvo''s eyesight going bad :v:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

not sure if its the terrible voice acting or the terrible plot or the terrible optimisation (on xbone but dishonored 1 HD runs a million times better) or the super cheap AI (playing on normal and i basically had to kill every person and actively avoided exploring because its just too tedious trying to get around) but this one just isnt grabbing me as much as D1 did.

D1 had plenty of routes and methods to deal with situations however it feels like even if you take the super stealthy routes you are still very easily spotted. Theres a lot less focus on staying in shadows (I basically have seen zero shadows) and often distracting guards is finicky - I find i have to be in the same room as them to trigger them investigating a clock/noise.

I was playing yesterday and got about half way through the off-shore medical centre thing after dying about 10 times and basically said 'gently caress this' and went to play something else.

Does it get better after that? I feel like going back and playing D1 again instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely don't know how you have to kill every single person in the game. Like even if you do get caught it's pretty easy to escape from any situation if you're smart about using your powers. Ghosting as in getting the Never Seen Ghost Bonus is harder, but sneaking through without killing anyone is not hard.

The biggest trick is height. Stay up high. Don't hang out on the ground level unless you have to. You've got tons of options but they're usually located high up, being on the ground is the hardest element. That said there's still multiple paths there too.

I guess I can't really offer advice because my problem with Dishonored 2 is the opposite of yours. Once you get powers going it gets kind of absurdly easy and OP. Emily can basically shut down entire rooms full of people for half a mana bar, it's not hard to avoid getting caught when they're too busy staring at a void monster to look at you.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 14, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Casimir Radon posted:

I was going to but I ran into the stacking Strong Arms issue. I thought maybe only stacking 3x would work but that was slow too.

Oh good I'm not going crazy, I stacked 4xchoke outs and now it takes me longer to choke dudes out :mad:

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
It does seem a bit weird that during the escape sequence, your first assassination target instantly notices you peeking through the hiding place that the game directs you to hide in.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Holy crap how are you supposed to stealth mission 8, the moment I walked in there were so many guards and civilians that I have a room filled with at least 20 unconscious dudes

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What's mission 8 again?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

GotLag posted:

What's mission 8 again?

The Duke's mansion. Very fun on high chaos, let me tell you. Emily even had a special line when I killed the body double. :allears:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish the guards weren't automatically hostile in the town type areas and that it was more clear what zones are and aren't restricted. Some will say on the screen and some don't. Obviously when you are breaking in somewhere it makes sense but it doesn't really make sense in these town square areas and it's kind of a bummer when I'm just trying to explore and talk to people.

Why is she even bothering to wear a mask? Apparently wearing a bandana is punishable by death?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

veni veni veni posted:

I wish the guards weren't automatically hostile in the town type areas and that it was more clear what zones are and aren't restricted. Some will say on the screen and some don't. Obviously when you are breaking in somewhere it makes sense but it doesn't really make sense in these town square areas and it's kind of a bummer when I'm just trying to explore and talk to people.

The basic gist is, if there are guards around, sneak. If there aren't guards around, you probably don't have to sneak. It's pretty unclear when civilians will and won't freak out upon seeing you, and Dishonored 1 was that way as well, so it's a shame the murkiness carried over.

veni veni veni posted:

Why is she even bothering to wear a mask? Apparently wearing a bandana is punishable by death?

Emily's face is on wanted posters literally everywhere in Karnaca. v:geno:v

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lakbay posted:

Holy crap how are you supposed to stealth mission 8, the moment I walked in there were so many guards and civilians that I have a room filled with at least 20 unconscious dudes

Well... they can't hear or see you once they're unconscious, right? :shobon:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The Duke's mansion. Very fun on high chaos, let me tell you. Emily even had a special line when I killed the body double. :allears:

I'm not a super expert stealth master or anything, but I remember spending a lot of time on the roofs of the various buildings. its true that the interiors are swarming with guards.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Finally finished the game as Corvo, block of spoilers -

I wish the intro didn't feel so abrupt. In the first game, you had a boat ride, see cool stuff like the waters rising, hang around key NPCs, even play hide and seek with Emily. World building stuff. Here, you're rushed into a ceremony and barely have time to settle down before poo poo hits the fan. It feels so rushed and I'm disappointed there isn't more Dad Corvo / Emily time. You literally don't interact with each other at all outside of the first 10 mins and then the abrupt ending scene. Yes there's the audio graphs and letters but feels like a wasted opportunity for some character building, especially for new players unfamiliar with their long complicated history together. It also seems entirely out of character for the Outsider to bother showing and explaining his true origins to a mere human even if it was Corvo. It took away a lot of his otherworldly Machiavellian tendencies for me.

And I really miss the special mobs like Tall Boys and the Music Box Overseers. I used to spend ages loving around with the Tall Boys, trying to stealth kill by blinking upwards and stabbing them in the face, shooting their tanks etc. Music Box Overseers were dangerous in their different way and forced you to try other methods. Here, there's the Clockwork bots who looked cool, but were really unfun to fight and worst to try to stealth past. Maybe it's the wonky game mechanics, I don't know. The Howlers are a generic rehash of the Mad Hatters, there's the witches but I dislike Delilah as an antagonist so they are kinda meh. Nothing outstanding from the Overseers. And I still don't know why they used Delilah again with a tacked on blood link to the Kaldwins when they could have come up with someone entirely new and fresh. Her story was over in the DLC. They did a fantastic job with Daud and Billie Lurk so it's not for lack of imagination.

I absolutely love Dishonored, things like the Hound Pit Pub loyalist's desperation in going against the spymaster's conspiracy was compelling and really sold you on Corvo's journey for revenge. D2 feels like they made a a bunch of stunningly beautiful, innovative levels and then wrote in the stories and characters. Even the ending scenes were so short and lacking. I don't hate D2, it's gorgeous and the voice acting/new levels are absolutely fantastic, but I was expecting a lot more story and world building wise I guess.

So do you all think there will be a D3? Emily will have to be the sole protagonist since Corvo/key D1 people like Anton are dead by then and the Empress/Heart is also sadly gone. So they might have to take her to far away lands like Pandyssia for new adventures I suppose.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

The basic gist is, if there are guards around, sneak. If there aren't guards around, you probably don't have to sneak. It's pretty unclear when civilians will and won't freak out upon seeing you, and Dishonored 1 was that way as well, so it's a shame the murkiness carried over.

Emily's face is on wanted posters literally everywhere in Karnaca. v:geno:v

Well yeah. I realize that but thematically it doesn't make sense and wearing a mask seems to net the same results as not so why bother?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

uber_stoat posted:

I'm not a super expert stealth master or anything, but I remember spending a lot of time on the roofs of the various buildings. its true that the interiors are swarming with guards.

But I have to pick up all the runes and bonecharms!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Noirex posted:

And I still don't know why they used Delilah again with a tacked on blood link to the Kaldwins when they could have come up with someone entirely new and fresh. Her story was over in the DLC. They did a fantastic job with Daud and Billie Lurk so it's not for lack of imagination.

Regarding Delilah's origin I'm actually pretty disappointed that the blood relative thing not just ended up being true, but was also revealed as true pretty early on in the game. It seemed like the obvious choice to make her be bullshitting the whole time, because absolutely nothing they could write script or direct would get 99% of players to feel any amount of sympathy for her. Including me. That whole 'woe is me' spiel made me roll my eyes because I could see where they were going with it, and sure enough Corvo spends the rest of the game going "was it true?? was Jessamine really a bad child??" every now and then. It was sad to watch!

veni veni veni posted:

Well yeah. I realize that but thematically it doesn't make sense and wearing a mask seems to net the same results as not so why bother?

If you aren't willing to accept the obvious, then the other explanation is she hides her face because her dad does it but she doesn't have a cool mask. It's not very effective for him either but it's because the assassin mask is terrifying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Emily with the mask is a suspicious person. They even tell you the Grand Guards won't like you wearing a mask because they can't identify you. Emily without a mask is the person on all the wanted posters. Even if the first isn't effective isn't more useful than the latter.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Regarding Delilah's origin I'm actually pretty disappointed that the blood relative thing not just ended up being true, but was also revealed as true pretty early on in the game. It seemed like the obvious choice to make her be bullshitting the whole time, because absolutely nothing they could write script or direct would get 99% of players to feel any amount of sympathy for her. Including me. That whole 'woe is me' spiel made me roll my eyes because I could see where they were going with it, and sure enough Corvo spends the rest of the game going "was it true?? was Jessamine really a bad child??" every now and then. It was sad to watch!

Exactly, it's such a lazy explanation for a main antagonist. And even if Jessamine did do that, does the game really expect players to accept that as justification for all the psychotic, supernatural things Delilah did and was planning to do to the world? I hated her and not for the right reasons. Daud was a much more layered, sympathetic character, I kinda missed him.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I liked the clockworks from the first trailer better. They had a creepier look. For some odd reason you find a note saying that they were changed because they weren't creepy enough.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely don't know how you have to kill every single person in the game. Like even if you do get caught it's pretty easy to escape from any situation if you're smart about using your powers. Ghosting as in getting the Never Seen Ghost Bonus is harder, but sneaking through without killing anyone is not hard.

I dont kill everyone, but for example leaving Dunwall to get to the boat, I was basically spotted at every single point by guards, despite a best effort approach to staying hidden and not being seen. I have zero powers to rely on, and even the provided mechanics of hiding behind objects didnt seem to be working very effectively.

and that is only going to make the latter stages more difficult due to high-chaos rating.

every single time I put someone to sleep, Someone else would spot me or the body (even if I'd hidden it) and I would end up having to kill like 5 guys.

Maybe I should restart as Corvo since Emily's powers I have so far seem useless.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Laserface posted:

I dont kill everyone, but for example leaving Dunwall to get to the boat, I was basically spotted at every single point by guards, despite a best effort approach to staying hidden and not being seen. I have zero powers to rely on, and even the provided mechanics of hiding behind objects didnt seem to be working very effectively.

and that is only going to make the latter stages more difficult due to high-chaos rating.

every single time I put someone to sleep, Someone else would spot me or the body (even if I'd hidden it) and I would end up having to kill like 5 guys.

Maybe I should restart as Corvo since Emily's powers I have so far seem useless.

I was going to write a helpful post but it pretty much just sounds like you're poo poo at stealth games, and this is coming from someone who is incredibly lovely at stealth games.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

I liked the clockworks from the first trailer better. They had a creepier look. For some odd reason you find a note saying that they were changed because they weren't creepy enough.

I agree, they were more unnerving than the plague doctor beak look they have now. some of the old assets were reused... in display cases in the mansion for instance. at one point what I think is the head of one of the old models ends up in Sokolov's workshop for some reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Laserface posted:

I honestly don't know what to say then. The Dunwall segment gives you a lot of paths with little to nothing in the way of enemies.

Likewise Emily's has Domino which lets you knock out an entire room with one move and Mesmerize which effectively does the same. If those feel useless to you I don't think you'll be more pleased with Corvo's powers.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i havent found a thing in the game so far i can't solve with judicious use of domino + doppelganger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

well i bought this yesterday and installed the 9g update to my playstation and today i am looking forward to it.

i loved the first game - anything i should know before i jump into number two?

• Locked thread