Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Excuse me, FF10 had a version of Prelude. It was just Zanarkand as all hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FhS5eRD6iM

That's the prelude, not the main theme!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay I finished it, that was a mess with a good combat system attached alright.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

On the other hand, as far as gameplay goes, a big problem the series has had since 6 has been in making each character feel unique in combat, since by and large, after a while, everyone can do everything. 9 was the last game in the series that managed to give everyone a distinct role (yes, I know, there's also 12 Zodiac Edition, but that was released after the fact) and X did a really good job of it, until you got to the end and had the resources to explore other characters' Sphere Grids. Since then, if you're not being forced to use certain characters, you load up your party with whoever you like best and you're away.

I'd say XIII did manage to do that - all six characters are pretty unique in terms of what they can and can't do. It's a shame you don't get much time to play with Fang until everyone's crystariums open up though.

Even after options open up, everyone still has limitations and unique selling points - Fang/Vanille get their unique buffs, Snow is still arguably the best Sentinel, and then attack animations also come into play (hi Sazh Blitz).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"I want to live in a world in which nothing changes and the world will always repeat the exact same patterns" is literally the villains' motivation in Final Fantasy X and there are a bunch of posters ITT who want this, lmao. Now tell us about how nihilism makes you want to become/kill God because you realized you will die some day.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

On the other hand, as far as gameplay goes, a big problem the series has had since 6 has been in making each character feel unique in combat, since by and large, after a while, everyone can do everything. 9 was the last game in the series that managed to give everyone a distinct role (yes, I know, there's also 12 Zodiac Edition, but that was released after the fact) and X did a really good job of it, until you got to the end and had the resources to explore other characters' Sphere Grids. Since then, if you're not being forced to use certain characters, you load up your party with whoever you like best and you're away.

I'm not just speaking to the character's battle skills but their personalities and design as well. The four guys in FF15 have different enough personalities but they're not visually and "culturally" very distinct (think the color and shape and clothing and in-game story background where they usually all come from very different places).

I'm not saying that it's "not Final Fantasy" but that this new deal is less appealing to me. At least on the surface - FF13 kept the diverse cast but was such a hot mess it remains the one mainline game I never finished.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Say what you want about X but you can't say it didn't have a consistent aesthetic (and that aesthetic was garbage puke) so hopefully xv has a consistent thing going on. I just hate how every cast member wears black, though. Can you change outfits?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Calaveron posted:

Can you change outfits?

Absolutely.

Which is kinda funny, honestly, considering the whole Roen thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

It's weird that these skinny guys in 2016 casual wear living in a modern city driving in a classy yet sensible sedan all fight with like swords and staves and nunchuks and stuff

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Side quest to Nordstrom Rack!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Something about promptos pasty white skin makes him seem skinnier than he is

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Something about promptos pasty white skin makes him seem skinnier than he is

Also funny because according to those prequel animes Prompto was once super fat.

Also I watched Kingsglaive and woooow that was bad.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Their sedan is a convertible that also transforms into a jet. There's nothing sensible about it.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

in order to be final fantasy, there has to be at least one airship. that's the actual rule. everything else is optional

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

CuddlyZombie posted:

in order to be final fantasy, there has to be at least one airship. that's the actual rule. everything else is optional

I'm on phone, someone post the gif from the end of Uncovered.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The enemy empire has airships, you even fight while traveling from airship to airship via warp strikes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Gologle posted:

Their sedan is a convertible that also transforms into a jet. There's nothing sensible about it.

Oh like you've never fantasized of pushing a button on your dash and leaving a gridlock behind, cackling maniacally as you take to the skies

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Oh like you've never fantasized of pushing a button on your dash and leaving a gridlock behind, cackling maniacally as you take to the skies

If you claim you haven't done this, I want to live where you drive.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Sakurazuka posted:

Tbh honest I only knew because I've been reading people complaining about the game here for like 6 years.

To be honest honest

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Automatic teller machine machine

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Now tell us about how nihilism makes you want to become/kill God because you realized you will die some day.
Uh, duh? Like, no poo poo man. That's how everyone feels all the time. I know this because you are all projections created by my superior mind, and only I am real. But not for long! If I smash these 4 priceless crystals, it will tear down the walls between dimensions and reunite me with my celestial brethren.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
have I mentioned that Zidane is my fave protag? cause he's cool.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Personal identification number number

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Tired Moritz posted:

have I mentioned that Zidane is my fave protag? cause he's cool.

He's cool, so is Steiner. And Vivi, in my honest imho. The cast of 9 is so great.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

FauxLeather posted:

He's cool, so is Steiner. And Vivi, in my honest imho. The cast of 9 is so great.

Except Amarant. gently caress Amarant.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Mordiceius posted:

Except Amarant. gently caress Amarant.

Rat-girl isn't particularly great, tbh. I can't even remember her na- oh it's Freya, Freya isn't that great. She's fine while she has a plot but drat does that just disappear.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Freya and Amarant had some decent moments later in the game in a small rivalry of sorts. I like Amarant mainly because it's funny how Zidane just grinds his gears on so many levels. Like his comments about the "sly eagle" and how Amarant has no idea what he means.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Has anyone been doing the Amazon Road trip? I dint know if I'm doing the fishing game wrong or is just broken.

Also wtf square for making me play stupid mini games on something I already bought for dlc.

Nut Better
Feb 17, 2011

:same:

Thundercracker posted:

Has anyone been doing the Amazon Road trip? I dint know if I'm doing the fishing game wrong or is just broken.

I could only get the road trip mini games to work properly on my phone. No matter what browser I tried, desktop just wouldn't work.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Thundercracker posted:

Also wtf square for making me play stupid mini games on something I already bought for dlc.

Yeah, I can only get it to work on my phone. Also, there's a thread for XV if you'd like: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770418

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I'm just about at the end of Disc 2 in VIII and I really love it. Trying to avoid guides as much as possible.

I'm pretty sure I've got the junctioning down and all that, but I can't seem to tell if any characters have specific advantages over the others or if they all play and level up the same? Also, after dicking around in the overworld I've gotten the impression that all of the monsters level up with you. Is that right or are there areas with weaker/stronger ones?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only difference between characters are limit breaks and Squall getting to hit a button to do more damage on a normal attack. Yes enemies get tougher the higher level you are but it's at specific break-points, not a curve or anything.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm pretty confused about all the different pre-order bonuses and DLC for XV. Is there any point in buying the really expensive digital super-duper version or should I be OK just buying the normal physical version for like half the price?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SylvainMustach posted:

I'm just about at the end of Disc 2 in VIII and I really love it. Trying to avoid guides as much as possible.

I'm pretty sure I've got the junctioning down and all that, but I can't seem to tell if any characters have specific advantages over the others or if they all play and level up the same? Also, after dicking around in the overworld I've gotten the impression that all of the monsters level up with you. Is that right or are there areas with weaker/stronger ones?

They are all the same outside of their limit breaks.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Renoistic posted:

I'm pretty confused about all the different pre-order bonuses and DLC for XV. Is there any point in buying the really expensive digital super-duper version or should I be OK just buying the normal physical version for like half the price?

Super No Vacancy posted:

ok I took this from neogaf I think the different order options are something like

Day One buy: masamune
Deluxe edition: masamune, royal raiment outfit, platinum car
Ultimate edition: masamune, royal raiment outfit, platinum car, travel pack, camera kit, angler set, gourmand set (squenix store exclusive)

Gamestop: A King’s Tale: Final Fantasy XV, a tie-in game which takes place 30 years before the main title and features retro-style graphics
Amazon: Final Fantasy Road Trip DLC (gold car, travel pack, camera kit, gourmand set, gae bolg, mage mashers, blazefire sabre), 20% discount
Microsoft Store: $10 gift code
BB:Best Buy: $10 in reward certificates and 20% off for Unlocked members; 20% off Kingsglaive movie
Square Enix Online Store Exclusive Offer - Receive a free FINAL FANTASY® XV postcard set

XB1 digital: A special Noctis outfit for your Avatar
PS4 digital: Final Fantasy 15 “Big Bang” theme

I bought the gently caress-off version but then preordered from amazon because it actually has more in-game content lol so I'm gonna try the old gimmick where you order from amazon and get a code then cancel the amazon order. I already have the code but I kinda wanna wait until the roadtrip site actually gives me the PSN code before canceling....

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

SylvainMustach posted:

I'm just about at the end of Disc 2 in VIII and I really love it

Uh oh.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Renoistic posted:

Same question, and also follow-up question which version lets me date Cidney thanks in advance.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cidney dating requires PSVR i think

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Isnt it Cindy in English because the localizers are insane monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
"Cindy" will be the next generation's "Aeris" and I will have no part in that.