Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

Shohei Otani is a loving goddamn monster human being what the hell

https://gfycat.com/AbleOrganicAnchovy

This guy just led his league in both ERA and OPS? Has there been a prospect like this ...ever?

I assume he projects in MLB as a pitcher but goddamn would that be valuable if he could be a useful DH at the same time.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Welcome to the NL Otani.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

This guy just led his league in both ERA and OPS? Has there been a prospect like this ...ever?

I assume he projects in MLB as a pitcher but goddamn would that be valuable if he could be a useful DH at the same time.....

I did this with a relief pitcher in an OOTP 16 online league, it was great.

e: Apparently the league page is still up, it's Pierre Roy

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 14, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Apparently the Yankees have a lot of suitors for McCann, which surprises me. He'd still have to waive his NTC, but I would imagine that Cashman isn't just dangling him out there for salary relief.

If the Yankees can get anything remotely of value for him, then I'll be super happy. I'd imagine he waves his NTC pretty easily. The guy wants to play, and with Bird and Sanchez on the team, McCann is going to catch every 4 games and DH maybe.

e: I just remembered that Starlin Castro is going to still be our starting 2nd basemen :smith:

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 14, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

If the Yankees can get anything remotely of value for him, then I'll be super happy. I'd imagine he waves his NTC pretty easily. The guy wants to play, and with Bird and Sanchez on the team, McCann is going to catch every 4 games and DH maybe.

e: I just remembered that Starlin Castro is going to still be our starting 2nd basemen :smith:

I think the market is pretty strong for catchers since it's feast or famine out there.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Paul Zuvella posted:

fret not, Didi outweighs Castro's streakiness. the way I see it Castro is keeping the spot warm for Torres/Mateo, whoever gets insanely hot and forces the issue

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

every sports site I visit says Greinke is "potential trade bait" but who the gently caress would eat that big of a contract AND give up players.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

every sports site I visit says Greinke is "potential trade bait" but who the gently caress would eat that big of a contract AND give up players.

The Diamondbacks. Oh wait...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Apparently the Astros are hot for him, which at first I was pretty eh on but then I remembered how well the catchers/DH/1B hit this year and come on down McCann!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah I mean I know the FA market is weak this offseason but the guy's 33, is still owed ~$175m over the next 5 years, and is coming off his worst season since 2005. Unless the Diamondbacks are going to eat a huge chunk of that contract, I don't see what they'd expect to get for him.

Also aren't the Diamondbacks nominally supposed to be competing again in 2017 now that they've got Pollock back and Miller looks stable again?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

I think last season's rush to give up more for relievers than we ever thought possible in 2016 proves that there are teams with money to spend who don't have the talent where they need it and they have more money available than they'd let on.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I feel like Brian McCann would be an upgrade for a lot of teams. Off the top of my head, the Astros, M's, Nats are contenders who could use him. Tigers, maybe? Are they still committed to their young guy? Or how about a bad team like the Braves who think they could contend by 2018.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The Cubs parade jacket is available for order again, but it looks different than when it was posted before. Is this the same one?

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-chicago-cubs-ua-softshell-jacket-ships-11-21-2016/pid1313293-410

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bugsy posted:

The Cubs parade jacket is available for order again, but it looks different than when it was posted before. Is this the same one?

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-chicago-cubs-ua-softshell-jacket-ships-11-21-2016/pid1313293-410

It's the same jacket, but gray instead of navy.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Roster Resource has their projected lineups updated, which is kind of a fun time waster if you're looking to identify team needs. This is without any projected free agent signings. Site is kind of slow to load...

http://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-roster-grid/

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a $40 off a $100 or more order coupon for underarmor.com that I assume would be good for that jacket. I have no interest in it and the coupon expires on 11/15.

Who wants it?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

Roster Resource has their projected lineups updated, which is kind of a fun time waster if you're looking to identify team needs. This is without any projected free agent signings. Site is kind of slow to load...

Twins needs: SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, RP, RP, RP, RP, C

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Would it be dumb for the Marlins to set their sights on Grieinke? Their path to the postseason required an ace to pair with their salary controlled players and, well...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Are there really so few lefty pitchers in the league that Brett loving Cecil is the best choice the Jays have?

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Furnaceface posted:

Are there really so few lefty pitchers in the league that Brett loving Cecil is the best choice the Jays have?

Yes.

Brett Cecil is good and I would happily welcome him back.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Hellickson accepted the Phillies QO, so he's off the market.

Also I'm not sure where Mccann would fit on the Ms, with Ruiz helping Zunino behind the plate, Valencia helping Vogelbach at 1B, and Cruz presumably taking most the starts at DH.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Gobias Ind. posted:

Yes.

Brett Cecil is good and I would happily welcome him back.

Brett Cecil is really unfairly shat upon. But such is the life of non-closer bullpen pitchers, I guess.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Every time Cecil comes in specifically to face chris davis and walks him I want to dunk his dumbass head in a toilet, but yes he is literally one of the best lefty relief options out there.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Nards Pan posted:

Hellickson accepted the Phillies QO, so he's off the market.

17.2 m for Hellickson then. What determines the salary of QOs because 17.2 seems like way too much?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

17.2 m for Hellickson then. What determines the salary of QOs because 17.2 seems like way too much?

It's related to average salaries across the league or something.

e: vv There's a more informed answer vv

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Average of the top 125 salaries

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

TMMadman posted:

I've got a $40 off a $100 or more order coupon for underarmor.com that I assume would be good for that jacket. I have no interest in it and the coupon expires on 11/15.

Who wants it?

I'll take it if it is still available. Getting one of these as a gift for my dad.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pvt. Public posted:

I'll take it if it is still available. Getting one of these as a gift for my dad.

Done and done. Check your PMs

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Very surprised that Hellickson took the QO. He may not really be good, but the pitching market this offseason sucked, and someone probably would have thrown 5/85 at him

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

i have to believe the market wasnt super excited for him so he took that big chunk of guaranteed money

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

That's a lot of money and now he can just retire if he doesn't have a great 2017 and teams don't want to give him anything for 2018.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Scob posted:

i have to believe the market wasnt super excited for him so he took that big chunk of guaranteed money

Yeah he's coming off his best year since 2012 so if there wasn't much interest taking the QO is win-win. Either he has another good season in 2017 to solidify his comeback and gets paid handsomely next offseason, or he sucks but gets a nice chunk of change in return for one solid season.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

tadashi posted:

Hell yes, an outfield of Upton, Pillar, and Carrera.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

I feel like Brian McCann would be an upgrade for a lot of teams. Off the top of my head, the Astros, M's, Nats are contenders who could use him. Tigers, maybe? Are they still committed to their young guy? Or how about a bad team like the Braves who think they could contend by 2018.

Yeah I guess I shouldn't be surprised that teams are going after him, since GMs are generally smart people. My first reaction was probably biased by the fact that if you ask Yankees fans about McCann they'll tell you he's trash because we're mostly big dumb idiots used to everybody on the team hitting .300 every year.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

TMMadman posted:

Done and done. Check your PMs

Got it. Thanks!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Neil Walker accepted the QO too. That means the Mets have 5 starting infielders which is a state of affairs I predict will last for at least the first 2 weeks of the season.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I hope they get rid of the QO in the new CBA. It just screws over a handful of mid-tier free agents. If the owners really need free agent compensation there's gotta be a fairer way to do it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I really really hope Gary gets the AL ROY and also shaves that awful chinstrap off.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/tigers/status/798312321596596224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Sanchez was the best hitter in baseball for the last 2 months. He got robbed.

• Locked thread