Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Annointed posted:

One of the most powerful weapons in Tower of God is a finger puppet.

Imagine what a whole glove will be able to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
evan is one of the most powerful people in the tower i'm glad he's not sitting it out

i can't really see karaka winning but i would like to see him beaten by ha jinsung

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Annointed posted:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Now we have to wonder if he's so powerful because of the finger frog, or if he got the finger frog cause he's so powerful.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

nimby posted:

Now we have to wonder if he's so powerful because of the finger frog, or if he got the finger frog cause he's so powerful.

I don't think you get to become a high ranker just by having a nice item :)

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Hirethor posted:

I don't think you get to become a high ranker just by having a nice item :)

Yeah, you also need strong friends.

Until we see him shoot lasers or swing a weapon I'm going to assume his rank is mostly from his items/friends. Being a guide would've helped find both and would be considered part of his "power".

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-224/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=305 remember last time they tried to get on this drat train? this time it's even more fun!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jesus christ

also I hope you're happy Karaka because you're about to teach Baam your World of Darkness skill

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Shugojin posted:

Jesus christ

also I hope you're happy Karaka because you're about to teach Baam your World of Darkness skill

As if Baam didn't already learn that skill, how to ignite the giant rear end sword, and doesn't already have a copy of the frog ring in 3 different colors

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Coffee Mugshot posted:

As if Baam didn't already learn that skill, how to ignite the giant rear end sword, and doesn't already have a copy of the frog ring in 3 different colors

As far as we've seen, he's only copied things he's been hit with.

Speaking of, did he ever use Urek's super cool attack after being hit with it?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I am disappointed in that traveller, he didn't even activate LSD frog's ultimate ability "get out" and "get in"

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sarcophallus posted:

As far as we've seen, he's only copied things he's been hit with.

I don't think that's true, though? His so far signature move, Fast Skip, or "reverse-flow control" (i.e. Stop) was learned from Quant just by seeing it once. I'm pretty sure he learned Necromancer from Daniel by just watching as well. He also learned a bunch of moves from the Test Admin, Mule Love, when they had their weird baseball game, although some of those were attacks that hit him. It's pretty clear Baam is just able to do "shinsu reading" like Laure does while sleeping and him getting hit with an attack has nothing to do with that. That being said, he's not some conjurer or something so it's like he can summon Adam's Glove or Frog Ring or anything for that matter, but he definitely could have learned World of Darkness. We actually haven't seen how much his shinsu reading has increased since he fought White so this would probably be the time to reveal that he's learned every move on the island already.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Coffee Mugshot posted:

I don't think that's true, though? His so far signature move, Fast Skip, or "reverse-flow control" (i.e. Stop) was learned from Quant just by seeing it once. I'm pretty sure he learned Necromancer from Daniel by just watching as well. He also learned a bunch of moves from the Test Admin, Mule Love, when they had their weird baseball game, although some of those were attacks that hit him. It's pretty clear Baam is just able to do "shinsu reading" like Laure does while sleeping and him getting hit with an attack has nothing to do with that. That being said, he's not some conjurer or something so it's like he can summon Adam's Glove or Frog Ring or anything for that matter, but he definitely could have learned World of Darkness. We actually haven't seen how much his shinsu reading has increased since he fought White so this would probably be the time to reveal that he's learned every move on the island already.

I'd thought he was hit by both of those, but I'm no longer confident enough to assert it.

E: The Wiki says both, so I'm going to go with he just has to see things.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 14, 2016

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Annointed posted:

Not only a finger puppet, but also suspiciously 3-D hands. That's real power when you can bring a whole other dimension into a fight.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Quant used stop on him while showing him how to do it and I seem to remember him getting hit with the surfboard and some of Daniel's stuff too. He also specifically had Jinsung drop him in order to teach him when he had already simply shown him the move before. You're probably right more generally though--I think he just needs to read the shinsu and it's easier after taking it directly. When he was younger he definitely needed to get hit, but now it's more unclear.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Sarcophallus posted:

I think I remember reading somewhere that he learned it, but doesn't want to use it because it has such an embarrassing name, which the wiki has listed as "Supreme King's Scorching Fist of Death"

Edit: Well poo poo it's right there in the wiki:

"After clashing with Urek Mazino, Baam learned to use the technique. However, he doesn't like to use it because of the embarrassing name, according to the author's afterword"

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Baam unlike other protags that cater to edgy sexist 14 year olds has dignity, oh and actually can look handsome.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Coffee Mugshot posted:

baam makes a shinsu sword instead which nobody else is capable of and steals sword techniques first time

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-225/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=306 gently caress!!!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hory shet!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Annointed posted:

Baam unlike other protags that cater to edgy sexist 14 year olds has dignity, oh and actually can look handsome.

Yeah Baam is one of the rare male manga/manhwa protagonists where the idea of a bunch of girls randomly falling in love with him is pretty persuasive.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thats the real reason rachel hates him

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
So uh how is Wangnan supposed to be Karaka's brother? I feel like I missed this plot completely.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

Coffee Mugshot posted:

So uh how is Wangnan supposed to be Karaka's brother? I feel like I missed this plot completely.

Wangnan has the same ring, thats where Baam saw it before. The whole thing about Karaka having a brother with that ring is a new reveal.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I never understood is how literally anyone who isn't an irregular like Baam can be a slayer candidate. Isn't it impossible for regulars to kill Jahad?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I never understood is how literally anyone who isn't an irregular like Baam can be a slayer candidate. Isn't it impossible for regulars to kill Jahad?

Only Jahad / Zahard. The other family leads can be killed by anyone.

Given their obsessions with having a 1 to 1 slayer to head ratio, they only need the one irregular. Or, irregular-thorn soup, due to plot technicalities that I don't yet understand.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how that flying disc move of Mule Love's is basically Baam's signature move now. He uses that thing all the time (and with good reason, since it basically lets you fly).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i wonder how many hundreds of chapters it will be when we find out why rachel is so weak despite being an irregular

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
IIRC Rachel got into the tower entirely by accident, not by some mysterious merit of ability that the other Irregulars in history had (the Guardian of the Hell Train seems to be implying/outright saying Irregulars get in because of their ability to shake up the status quo). She's an oddity even among Irregulars.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gologle posted:

IIRC Rachel got into the tower entirely by accident, not by some mysterious merit of ability that the other Irregulars in history had (the Guardian of the Hell Train seems to be implying/outright saying Irregulars get in because of their ability to shake up the status quo). She's an oddity even among Irregulars.

IIRC Headon referred to Irregulars as people who are chosen by the Tower itself to bring something it needs.

Honestly I think the Tower did choose Rachel too but only because that's how you get Baam motivated to do anything

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shugojin posted:

Honestly I think the Tower did choose Rachel too but only because that's how you get Baam motivated to do anything

While the tower choosing Rachel because that's the only way it could choose Baam is a good theory, I personally like the idea that the tower wanted one of them and the other just hitched a ride.

I mean, Rachel sucks, but she sure as gently caress has shaken poo poo up through her actions since entering.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Gyges posted:

While the tower choosing Rachel because that's the only way it could choose Baam is a good theory, I personally like the idea that the tower wanted one of them and the other just hitched a ride.

I mean, Rachel sucks, but she sure as gently caress has shaken poo poo up through her actions since entering.

The story seems to support that idea. Headon is clearly in-the-know about who the tower wants to be irregulars as separate from who he chooses to be regulars. This is apparent in the flashback where he's seen cursing Rachel out and berating her for "sneaking" in.

Baam is the irregular, and Rachel is kind of an irregular of irregulars. She is, by all rights, a nobody in a tower full of superpowered duders.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
This conversation will be funny when they reveal that khun princess is involved because she is allied with Rachel

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sarcophallus posted:

Baam is the irregular, and Rachel is kind of an irregular of irregulars. She is, by all rights, a nobody in a tower full of superpowered duders.

Isn't Rachel actually a pretty average light bearer? So it's not like she's some completely normal person surrounded by superheroes, she's just at the level of a really average regular.

edit: I mean, Khun defeated her, but she did pretty well against him and he's pretty top tier among regulars.

As a side note, regarding my earlier post about Baam's growing harem being fairly believable, he's kind of interesting because he seems sorta like a male version of the "quiet socially weird bookish girl" archetype that shows up in male-focused manga/anime (like Nagato Yuki from Haruhi). He isn't a very typical shounen-style male lead character.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 22, 2016

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
Therese a few of single panel flashbacks in early tower of god to supply foreshadowing for Rachel and Baams first contact and start of their pre-tower relationship.

one of the corner stone mystery of tower of god is why Baam can not or has not reconsider his quest to fallow Rachel. my own mass guessing at this point is that he Can Not due to some weird mojo that may of happened at their first meeting.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's not a mystery, she's literally the only person he ever knew of before entering the Tower, and she found him in a loving cave sealed off in the darkness. She was his entire world before the Tower, and he can not understand why she'd betray him just to climb the tower.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, it's sort of like if all your family and friends were rolled up into a single person and then that person betrayed/abandoned you.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, it's sort of like if all your family and friends were rolled up into a single person and then that person betrayed/abandoned you.

I wonder if she knew that Baam would be able to open the door.

While I think her machinations for betrayal came about on the first floor with Headon and company, it would be interesting if she never cared about Baam at all except for his ability to get her into the tower.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mulva posted:

It's not a mystery, she's literally the only person he ever knew of before entering the Tower, and she found him in a loving cave sealed off in the darkness. She was his entire world before the Tower, and he can not understand why she'd betray him just to climb the tower.

Yeah, I feel like these arcs have been good at giving Baam perspective on why people do these things to one another just to climb the tower. And because he doesn't feel that draw and he's some ultra-powerful god backed by Evil Inc., he's trying to change that. Also, he probably still considers Rachel a friend and feels that he should help her get her dream of seeing stars, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sarcophallus posted:

While I think her machinations for betrayal came about on the first floor with Headon and company, it would be interesting if she never cared about Baam at all except for his ability to get her into the tower.

Do we know yet why Rachel betrayed him? It seems like working with the ridiculously powerful dude would increase your chances. Was it some condition that she climb by herself? I seem to remember Headon* giving her some condition for being allowed to climb.

*apply directly to forehead