Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
This game is fantastic. I tried to maintain a neutral angle in conquest / prologue but eventually I went with siding with the Disfavored but with the way they are acting in Act 2, I am loathe to continue siding with them. Although, I also do not break the alliance and possibly fight them I've received the option a few timea but am hesitant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

To be honest I did pick that path because it seemed like the best and most rewarding (but hard as gently caress too due to the dwindling # of allies)

I picked it because it seemed the least worst option for the Tiers since both other factions are nutjobs and I wanted to play loyal to the empire but in the end it was just as destructive. Like every new part you got in someone immediately attacked you for being you and then later you tried diplomacy again they just said but YOU started the violence and then I just resigned myself to just wipe everyone out. Unsurprisingly I had very few Favor abilities :v:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I was beginning to like Graven Ashe until (edict of storms) He had a big dialogue with me about how much he loved his children and they meant the world to him and then I get his daughter back [without killing her baby even] and he flips the gently caress out and won't even hear a word about forgiveness. I have like 5 favor with you dude listen to me, gently caress.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Voices of Nerat is the kind of stupid dumb retarded Chaotic Neutral rear end in a top hat that I thought Obsidian were better than writing. I mean his actual dialogue is well written but his entire character is just the worst.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

precision posted:

The Voices of Nerat is the kind of stupid dumb retarded Chaotic Neutral rear end in a top hat that I thought Obsidian were better than writing. I mean his actual dialogue is well written but his entire character is just the worst.

He's basically Magical Joker, right down to being voiced by a very convincing Mark Hamill impersonator.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Basic Chunnel posted:

Depends on what you want out of the game. If you want to be dropped into the deep end of combat and learn your way around it, play on normal difficulty. If you just want to make pretty lights and own poo poo, play on easy. Easy difficulty also forgoes the need to keep track of consumables and equipment upgrades almost entirely. I drank a potion twice in about 30 hours of play, and I probably didn't even need to do that.

In terms of story, that also depends on what you want out of the game - do you want more-or-less direct control over how you're received by people, manipulating them into liking or hating you? There's an option that shows you in advance what reputation effects a given dialogue choice will have (though it's not always forthcoming - sometimes an action choice like "[glare silently]" or "[punch him in the face]" will have effects they don't announce in advance). Alternatively, you can forgo that option, act according to what feels right in the moment, and let the consequences come. You can double down by enabling Trial of Iron mode, where you only get one save that doesn't allow you to redo anything and gets deleted when you die. That's what I did, but I would highly recommend doing that on easy difficulty. The game just sort of plays itself outside of the choices and dialogue.

Thanks. I'll probably play on Normal; I'm more interested in story and lore than anything else but I can never get past the feeling of letting myself down when I play games on lower than normal difficulties.

That's neat that you can turn on knowing the effects of your dialogue choices, but I'll probably leave that off. Most times I'm given a choice I go with what I would pick rather than roleplaying--which probably means in this case that I'm going to be a pretty lousy bad guy :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vermain posted:

He's basically Magical Joker, right down to being voiced by a very convincing Mark Hamill impersonator.

Holy poo poo, you're right.

Realizing that kind of makes me like him a little more, not gonna lie.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kontradaz posted:

For what it's worth, I did a mage dude and I currently hate it and all my spells do piss poor damage. This is currently my strongest spell and it has a 1 minute and 30 second cooldown:

Lightning is not the damage rune.

Fire and Ice are, especially with the frostfire accent. Lightning is wholly useful for Stun/interrupt.

Rimespike alone does more than double that damage, and thats without factoring in the Magefire DOT and freeze status.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So if you miss certain stuff (like spell expressions) in the beginning there is no way you can get those later, huh?

Somehow I missed the cone type. Oh well.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

precision posted:

Like all the Archons, the Voices of Nerat has been warped by the legend people tell about him. He even crows about it a bit when you kill him; he wasn't always this cloud of madness and stolen minds, and whatever horror stories people come up with about you are going to be true too.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I got a seriously dope legendary 1 hander, which, until I received it, I was super bummed that I went for 1 handed and atrophy as my MC was doing fuckall for damage.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Zore posted:

Lightning is not the damage rune.

Fire and Ice are, especially with the frostfire accent. Lightning is wholly useful for Stun/interrupt.

Rimespike alone does more than double that damage, and thats without factoring in the Magefire DOT and freeze status.

Where do I get the fire and ice :(

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So. Sirin seems bugged. She has 225/216 exp for Lore and won't get any experience/skill increases when I take her to the trainer. Since she's at 61 Lore right now, I'm kind of bummed. Anyone have any thoughts? Same thing applies to her dodge, too.

E:. She is level 13 if that makes a difference.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 14, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kontradaz posted:

You could literally start the game with them (ice in character creation, fire by siding with the Chorus when you sack the Bastard city in Conquest) and both were for sale for 1 Gold in Act 1 from the Disfavored/Choruse merchant.

Not sure if they're available later.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

They were easily purchasable in the Chorus and Disfavored camps respectively in act 1, iirc. Did you not talk to anyone at all? I know I missed some Cores and Expressions because i didn't explore thoroughly enough but drat dude.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
In what other game are essential magic spells found in literally a random shopkeepers stuff? I talked to like everyone and explored every dialogue tree but I didn't go buy up poo poo from merchants. I don't know of any other game that does this - dumb mechanic.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Its an RPG ya maroon, who doesn't speak the loving shopkeeps?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ugh, game has one handed swords for sale? I spoke to everyone and they didn't give me one. -- Dumb mechanic.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

In what other game are essential magic spells found in literally a random shopkeepers stuff? I talked to like everyone and explored every dialogue tree but I didn't go buy up poo poo from merchants. I don't know of any other game that does this - dumb mechanic.

Buying things is a dumb mechanic now? The hell? Buying spellbooks and poo poo happens in a fuckton of games.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Lol imagine if in Baldurs Gate you had to talk to a shopkeeper in the first town to get magic missle / whatever else and if you don't get it then you're hosed out of luck for the rest of the entire game.

Or in KOTOR 1/2 you would have to buy Force Lightning on Tattoine and if you don't do it then you have no offensive casting abilities for the rest of the game.

Or in the Elder Scrolls if you could only buy your spells in the beginning dungeon LOL

I'm not talking about a random fart spell, I'm talking about two essential offensive powers - you don't just gate that poo poo to ONE shopkeeper in ONE act.

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 14, 2016

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ugh, game has one handed swords for sale? I spoke to everyone and they didn't give me one. -- Dumb mechanic.

Every enemy drops one in every encounter, tell me when they start dropping core sigils.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

Its an RPG ya maroon, who doesn't speak the loving shopkeeps?

Talked / exhausted every option, no other dumbshit RPG has core poo poo in the inventory of a random character.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

wiegieman posted:

Like all the Archons, the Voices of Nerat has been warped by the legend people tell about him. He even crows about it a bit when you kill him; he wasn't always this cloud of madness and stolen minds, and whatever horror stories people come up with about you are going to be true too.

This was probably my favorite expression of Tyrannys theme of the power of myth and legend.

That moment when you realize that Voices isn't saying that making the hard choices will change you, but rather that the stories people tell can exert power on YOU after a certain point.

If there was ever a time for the PC to feel a moment of existential fear it was that.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I've also seen Fire/Frost runes in Leithan's Crossing or whatever, and there are probably other places too but I just stopped looking for them because I already had them, or, yaknow, if your particular character concept needs those basic core runes that much you can choose at least one of them in character creation (not even the Conquest choice, I mean Frost spells are literally on the choice menu for starting skills - though it is a weird own goal that Fire aren't, the fact that you can get that one easily in the Conquest mitigates this a bit (in fact it is utterly impossible to miss the opportunity to do so unless you skip the Conquest sequence entirely.)

I wanted to play an elemental damage caster, so I focused on elemental damage skills in character creation instead of hoping that...what exactly were you expecting, if you didn't pick damage spells in chargen and you didn't go to buy them in the starting shops?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 14, 2016

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

I've also seen Fire/Frost runes in Leithan's Crossing or whatever, and there are probably other places, or, yaknow, if your particular character concept needs those basic core runes that much you can choose at least one of them in character creation (not even the Conquest choice, I mean Frost spells are literally on the choice menu for starting skills - though it is a weird own goal that Fire aren't, the fact that you can get them easily in the Conquest mitigates this a bit.).

I wanted to play an elemental damage caster, so I focused on elemental damage skills in character creation instead of hoping that...what exactly were you expecting, if you didn't pick damage spells in chargen and you didn't go to buy them in the starting shops?

Idk I picked Lightning and Atrophy, reasonable selections I would feel with the expectation that through exploration and quests I'd get more. I mean sure if people told me "bro just buy all the core sigils when you see them" I'd do it but I had no idea.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ugh, I was playing Zelda and I had to walk into the cave to be given the sword. In Hydelide you started with one - what a dumb mechanic.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ugh, I was playing Zelda and I had to walk into the cave to be given the sword. In Hydelide you started with one - what a dumb mechanic.

Man you make the dumbest posts of all time, good job.

Also yea the Lethian place has a merchant who sells the fire core thank god - the game isn't dumb enough to gate essentials to the first Act.

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 14, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Ignoring that "I want more spells, maybe I should talk to someone who sells poo poo" is a really, really common concept, it is a tiny bit too easy to miss Cores/Expressions given how important they can be.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

Man you make the dumbest posts of all time, good job.

Also yea the Lethian place has a merchant who sells the fire core thank god - the game isn't dumb enough to gate essentials to the first Act.

Seriously, I finished my entire first playthrough without ever realizing that merchants sell shitloads of cores and accents.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Kontradaz posted:

Idk I picked Lightning and Atrophy, reasonable selections I would feel with the expectation that through exploration and quests I'd get more. I mean sure if people told me "bro just buy all the core sigils when you see them" I'd do it but I had no idea.

I mean, yeah, I focused Lightning too because that was my character concept, but then I picked up Fire because that was the best-looking reward from that Conquest choice, and then I found Frost...somewhere, idk where, I probably bought it. It wasn't too much trouble but twenty years of CRPGs have given me bad habits.

Anyway, I feel like you're not even really so boned if you can't still find them (though I'm sure you can still find them): Lightning's damage discrepancy vs. Fire/Frost isn't as bad as it sounds (and getting control and damage in one box is great for letting your party whale on whatever poor bastard you're shocking) , the issue is more that the Frostfire accent is easy to find and the Magefire affliction is an utterly ridiculous DOT, so Fire/Frost spells have a much higher potential alongside their somewhat higher base damage.

edit: also except for the really early stages of Act II (or maybe POTD) this game is not actually hard enough to need to minmax, I'm running a party on Hard of three mages (or two mages and Sirin in leather, depending on how much I like Lantry on any given day) behind a dodge-tanking Verse for pity's sake.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 14, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ravenfood posted:

Ignoring that "I want more spells, maybe I should talk to someone who sells poo poo" is a really, really common concept, it is a tiny bit too easy to miss Cores/Expressions given how important they can be.
Yeah, in my second playthrough I remembered to go back to the locked chest in the opening area, and there's an accent in it of the sort that I didn't encounter until the third act of my first playthrough. And despite specifically going to merchants and buying all the spell poo poo I could find, I never picked up the fire core in my first game. Honestly I feel like the shared spell learning mechanic caused the devs to get a little complacent, and in their fear of throwing redundant spell stuff at players they only gave them 1-2 chances to pick something up, in a game that routinely closes access to previous content as it moves forward.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Actually in retrospect I think I saw the Fire core at Lethian's Crossing, but unlike the other sold cores I came across it cost 45 bronze instead of 1, and I couldn't afford it at the time.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Actually in retrospect I think I saw the Fire core at Lethian's Crossing, but unlike the other sold cores I came across it cost 45 bronze instead of 1, and I couldn't afford it at the time.

You are correct - it just wiped out my life savings.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Did... did the giant semi-coherent murderous gorilla woman just convince my entire group to play gently caress marry kill?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Stroth posted:

Did... did the giant semi-coherent murderous gorilla woman just convince my entire group to play gently caress marry kill?

My team was 100% not down for that, but I was running Lantry and Sirin, both of which would be super weird.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

Lol imagine if in Baldurs Gate you had to talk to a shopkeeper in the first town to get magic missle / whatever else and if you don't get it then you're hosed out of luck for the rest of the entire game.

Or in KOTOR 1/2 you would have to buy Force Lightning on Tattoine and if you don't do it then you have no offensive casting abilities for the rest of the game.

Or in the Elder Scrolls if you could only buy your spells in the beginning dungeon LOL

I'm not talking about a random fart spell, I'm talking about two essential offensive powers - you don't just gate that poo poo to ONE shopkeeper in ONE act.

It's not gated to one shopkeeper in one act it's purchasable afterwards from a few places. A merchant in my spire sold the basic ones I was missing and in the crossing a few merchants had them too.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

It's not gated to one shopkeeper in one act it's purchasable afterwards from a few places. A merchant in my spire sold the basic ones I was missing and in the crossing a few merchants had them too.

I know, thankfully this is the case lol.

And now with the core fire sigil party is wrecking everything. Love the balance in this game.

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 14, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Junkozeyne posted:

The best part of the anarchy path is that everyone refuses to work with you and attacks and then the next guys attack because you killed the previous guys and it's an neverending circle of violence.

Unfortunately, combat is literally the worst part of this game so having taken Anarchy path kind of by accident and I have to decide whether to restart or give up entirely. On normal, I have discovered that if I turn off all the combat related auto pauses I can generally start combat, walk away, and return to my guys standing around in a pile of corpses.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Managed to tank & kill 4 banes solo fatebinder when an ambush went south and Verse, K-I-S & Lantry went down.

Warrior's Respite is crazy handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Unfortunately, combat is literally the worst part of this game so having taken Anarchy path kind of by accident and I have to decide whether to restart or give up entirely. On normal, I have discovered that if I turn off all the combat related auto pauses I can generally start combat, walk away, and return to my guys standing around in a pile of corpses.

Get the fire sigil

• Locked thread