Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Something like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g6YxkSqL20

Except the opposite of that.

I have no idea what this is but I love it. Italian sung with an American accent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have no idea what this is but I love it. Italian sung with an American accent?

IIRC it's gibberish meant to sound like American english.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Speaking of which, what accent is Jacob the Woodcutter (the questgiver for A Knight's Tale) supposed to have?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

monster on a stick posted:

Speaking of which, what accent is Jacob the Woodcutter (the questgiver for A Knight's Tale) supposed to have?

To my knowledge, all the toussaint characters received the same guidance and instructions regarding accent and dialect, but obviously different actors will interpret that instruction differently.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

OK, I'm back in Poland and jetlagged to hell. As promised, I'll tell you about one of my cut quests.

OK, so Geralt gets flagged down by this servant character, who directs him to speak with his mistress, a noble-lady who has an "occult" club with other courtly ladies. When Geralt meets her, she explains that her club (including her sister) were conducting a seance at an old elven amphitheatre when something strange happened. The wind began to howl and the noble-lady's sister began sobbing uncontrollably. When one of the other members of the club tried to comfort her, she grabbed a knife and attacked her. The other woman was merely injured, but the noble-lady's sister then ran off into the night.

The noble lady wants Geralt to help find her sister, she is seeking out Geralt because 1. she thinks something magical might be going on 2. he's famous and her club will be impressed.

Geralt goes and tracks down the sister. Unfortunately, she's dead (it's a witcher game, natch) it looks like she ran off into the woods before cutting off all her hair with a knife, then driving the knife into her own heart. After some investigating, Geralt finds a nearby cenotaph with an old elven poem on it. The poem memorializes the sad story of an elven maiden who fell in love with a human noble, despite the taboo and class differences. There's an anti-elf pogrom, and the maiden is saved and sheltered by her human lover, but he refuses to do anything to save the rest of her family or stop the pogrom. Her family is completely wiped out. She runs off into the woods and stabs herself to death.

Geralt realizes he's dealing with a Banshee, (which can force the living to re-enact the banshee's trauma) and goes to talk to the noble-lady. The lady is distraught but Geralt can convince her to help him avenge her sister and lay the banshee to rest. The occult club goes back to the amphitheatre and summons the banshee again, Geralt is able to use the noble-lady's body to trap the spirit and force it to become corporeal with an exorcism. In the process of the exorcism we learn that the noble-lady and her sister are actually the descendants of the elf-maiden and the human nobleman. The maiden was saved from slaughter because she was preggo with the nobleman's child. Swordplay. The banshee dies.

The noble lady is really upset because now she knows she's part-elf, and all her nasty friends in the occult club won't associate with her anymore. Her status at court is now in jeopardy. She says some racist poo poo. Sad trombone. Fin.

:xcom: only for The Witcher instead. A happy ending!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've always wondered what various accents sound like in other languages, like say a french language show where someone is meant to have an English or American accent while still speaking french. Sir of the same way a french person in an English language show will have a heavy french accent.

To answer your question, here is an English program about French and Germans (played by Englishmen) in which a German flawlessly speaks English!

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What are some must have mods? :v:

And is there a lot of hassle to get them to work? Do I need a mod manager or something?

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

mmkay posted:

I had something like that happen with various horses in the game. Verifying the game files fixed it.

ended up reinstalling, but that seemed to work. YAY.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

PirateBob posted:

And is there a lot of hassle to get them to work? Do I need a mod manager or something?

Witcher Sense no zoom, Roach Unlimited Stamina, Better Trophies

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nah, it's gibberish, but it's supposed to be what American English sounds like to Italians who can't speak English.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

PirateBob posted:

There are no must have mods.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

PirateBob posted:

Not must have, but a couple of QoL mods I'd recommend would be

No weight limit
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1950/

No weapon degradation
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/342/

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I have no idea how to win Gwent.

So what's the point? Do I have play conservative and win each round close? I have no idea how I lose 52 to 13, so I'm missing something here.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Barreft posted:

So what's the point? Do I have play conservative and win each round close? I have no idea how I lose 52 to 13, so I'm missing something here.

You want to use as little cards per round as possible. You have to win two out of the three rounds. You won one round and lost two so you lost.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Barreft posted:

You have to win 2 rounds out of 3, the total score across all rounds is irrelevant. I assume your opponent was using the deck that counts a drawn game as a win.

Your cards don't return after a round ends (with a few specific exceptions) so the idea is to trick the opponent into using more of their cards than you do so you have more options across all three rounds. Until you get access to more cards it is more difficult to win but a good general idea is to goad the opponent into throwing out too many cards in the first round even if it means letting them win that round, and then they've basically got nothing to play with in the latter rounds.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
The one thing I could never figure out with Gwent was exactly how a round ended. I think it said it ends if you skip your turn with more points than your opponent, but that didn't seem to hold at all?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Joda posted:

The one thing I could never figure out with Gwent was exactly how a round ended. I think it said it ends if you skip your turn with more points than your opponent, but that didn't seem to hold at all?

A round ends when both players have passed. If you run out of cards, you automatically pass.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Three cups of honey seems like a lot for that cake :ohdear:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

PirateBob posted:

Depends on your definition of "must have". For me it's "would my experience be better without these mods? Then I must have them".

Mod merger: just there to make sure all the mods play well with each other.

Fast travel from anywhere: saves on quite a bit of annoying backtracking when exploring. Can mess up quests (when you're supposed to follow someone / when someone is supposed to talk to you the moment you exit a building) so use with care.

Map quest objectives: Shows you all current quest objectives on the map, instead of just the quest currently highlighted. Immensely useful, particularly when it comes to scavenger hunts.

Auto-apply oils: saves you a lot of hassle, since applying oils through the inventory system is just a time-wasting bother. Stops you from getting the Even Odds achievement.

Better torches: Climb, cast and fight without putting your torch away.

Cheap dyes everywhere: now you can be a shiny Witcher princess before the endgame starts.

The mods above are basically just a matter of convenience. The mods below actively change how the game plays, so fair warning if you want a "purist" experience:

General perks always active: exactly what it says. Makes the general perks a lot more viable, since there are a lot of reasons not to use them in an umodded game.

Select all mutations: allows you to use more than one mutation at a time in B&W. Kinda gamebreaking, but IMO the mutations are hard enough to get that being forced to only use one is a bit lame.

Indestructible items - no more weapon / armor degradation.

Buyable Doppler and Succubus Mutagens: Satisfy your completionist urges AND your moral concerns at the same time.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Buyable Doppler and Succubus Mutagens: Satisfy your completionist urges AND your moral concerns at the same time.

Someone still had to kill those dopplers and succubi. :colbert:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

By the way, did anyone playing Equine Phantoms try talking to the other animals at the hermit's house? That was a very late addition to the quest, I wonder if anyone actually notices it.

drat it, I just played this quest again in my big replay and missed this opportunity again.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

John Charity Spring posted:

drat it, I just played this quest again in my big replay and missed this opportunity again.

They've just got little one-liners, nothing particularly specific. Like I said, a very late addition. Still, it took a few days, so it'd be a shame if no one ever saw it.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

They've just got little one-liners, nothing particularly specific. Like I said, a very late addition. Still, it took a few days, so it'd be a shame if no one ever saw it.
I did and appreciated the extra touch in an already-good quest, for what it's worth.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Probably Lambert.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Will there be a Lambert game?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They were all harvested humanely, and were voluntarily donated by the next of kin of succubi and dopplers who had died from natural causes. Sexual exhaustion mostly. :what:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Xander77 posted:

Depends on your definition of "must have". For me it's "would my experience be better without these mods? Then I must have them".

Mod merger: just there to make sure all the mods play well with each other.

Fast travel from anywhere: saves on quite a bit of annoying backtracking when exploring. Can mess up quests (when you're supposed to follow someone / when someone is supposed to talk to you the moment you exit a building) so use with care.

Map quest objectives: Shows you all current quest objectives on the map, instead of just the quest currently highlighted. Immensely useful, particularly when it comes to scavenger hunts.

Auto-apply oils: saves you a lot of hassle, since applying oils through the inventory system is just a time-wasting bother. Stops you from getting the Even Odds achievement.

Better torches: Climb, cast and fight without putting your torch away.

Cheap dyes everywhere: now you can be a shiny Witcher princess before the endgame starts.

The mods above are basically just a matter of convenience. The mods below actively change how the game plays, so fair warning if you want a "purist" experience:

General perks always active: exactly what it says. Makes the general perks a lot more viable, since there are a lot of reasons not to use them in an umodded game.

Select all mutations: allows you to use more than one mutation at a time in B&W. Kinda gamebreaking, but IMO the mutations are hard enough to get that being forced to only use one is a bit lame.

Indestructible items - no more weapon / armor degradation.

Thanks!

What about graphics mods like HD reworked, better faces, more shadows, etc? Any good?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

For those on the Gwent Beta.

First patch notes are out, patch will be coming soon, most likely after CDPR twitch stream this thursday.

http://wpc.4d7d.edgecastcdn.net/004D7D/mkt/document/Patch-EN.pdf

Of note:

quote:

Philippa no longer affects Gold cards.
Philippa strength increased from 6 to 12.
Philippa changed to disloyal only.

RIP Philippa. Too beautiful for this world and major release.

Also Monster Faction ability no longer works on Gold Cards, Eredin is Silver now, Priscilla no longer plays two units but draws two and makes you chose one, and no more chain medic resurrection.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
RIP Geralt-Ciri-Pass.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Will there not be a Nilfgaard faction in online Gwent?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Will there not be a Nilfgaard faction in online Gwent?

There will be. It's currently in "Coming Soon" mode.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

There will be. It's currently in "Coming Soon" mode.

The emperor will teach the North discipline :black101:

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
In playing the Gwent beta I found myself feeling underwhelmed.

I think that Gwent worked well as a mini game and I really enjoyed it. But in playing it outside of the game, in its own game, I just can't stay engaged. The mechanics just don't do enough for me. Ultimately the strategy remains the same. There's no creative paths to victory.

I am eager to try the single player aspect of the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Electronico6 posted:

RIP Philippa. Too beautiful for this world and major release.

So what did the card used to do?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Xander77 posted:

So what did the card used to do?

You played her on a row (you could play her on any row including your opponent's) and she set the attack of everything on that row to 1.

This was a ridiculously overpowered effect because it targeted gold cards, which are otherwise immune to almost everything, including the effects that might have canceled her debuff.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

You played her on a row (you could play her on any row including your opponent's) and she set the attack of everything on that row to 1.

This was a ridiculously overpowered effect because it targeted gold cards, which are otherwise immune to almost everything, including the effects that might have canceled her debuff.

Yup. And if you wanted to build a Northern Realms deck she is basically the first card you craft, even though she is super expensive, cause Philippa just slots in with every NR type deck, and is basically you're gently caress You I Win card.

After the nerf she will probably see a lot less play, unless the new rage becomes breeding monster decks.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So odd.thing. Got to Kellie and started playing all it's and I keeps for cards. Played against one Smith I had not played before (some bald dude.in one of the southern villages) and won. Instead of a card I won wax apparently? That's what it said on screen, first money then Wax. What gives?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
You may have exhausted the random cards, but no way to check for sure other than B&W guide to Gwent - not sure if you can buy it outside Toussaint.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I have this book in my inventory kinda like that. It says 8 cards still to be won off "players with no particular skill" or something. Is that what you mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Where is that "?", I head to the area and it says it's underground, but I don't see any entrances nearby.

EDIT: nm it was in the cave to the north in a side passage, same place where you get that quest to rescue a brother trapped in a cave.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 16, 2016