Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The trailer music is the "Welcome to the World of Pokemon" theme for this game. Someone posed a youtube playlist with the whole OST upthread so you can find it there.

Thanks very much, think it's my favorite track of any Pokemon game :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Where can I find the trailer music for SM? It's really great but can't seem to find it anywhere :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkBSiqzfuJg

the epic part starts at 0:46

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sharrrk posted:

lmfao at level up while knowing Stomp to evolve. that rules

tsareena is my favorite gen vii monster. and to be frank. my third favorite overall

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Thanks very much, think it's my favorite track of any Pokemon game :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEYz4WxOjpA

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

tsareena is my favorite gen vii monster. and to be frank. my third favorite overall

this is in violation of the thread title

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

oddium posted:

I like her a lot and if she is as powerful as she is cool then same

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

less laughter posted:

this is in violation of the thread title

the thread title is in violation of my extremely good opinions

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Also help I'm legit struggling deciding which starter to take :gonk:
Close your eyes and pick at random when the time comes. Problem solved.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So, Team Elegant is looking like:
  • Primarina
  • Alolan Dugtrio
  • Alolan Ninetales
  • Lilligant
  • Oricorio (fire version, for coverage and also looking cool)
  • Mega Ampharos
I don't know if all of them are available, let alone Megastones, so there are possible substitutes as well (certain Evee forms, Tsareena, Bruxish, etc.) But does it work as a team? Beating the main game isn't really an issue but if there's something I'm overlooking that'll have me tearing my hair out it would be good to know in advance.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Please don't abandon your friend, popplio.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rangpur posted:

So, Team Elegant is looking like:
  • Primarina
  • Alolan Dugtrio
  • Alolan Ninetales
  • Lilligant
  • Oricorio (fire version, for coverage and also looking cool)
  • Mega Ampharos
I don't know if all of them are available, let alone Megastones, so there are possible substitutes as well (certain Evee forms, Tsareena, Bruxish, etc.) But does it work as a team? Beating the main game isn't really an issue but if there's something I'm overlooking that'll have me tearing my hair out it would be good to know in advance.

Megas are postgame only. My suggestion for a replacement is Tsareena, who, while not ballroom elegant like Lilligant, is very princess-like in the way she dropkicks her enemies in the face.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

cheetah7071 posted:

Megas are postgame only. My suggestion for a replacement is Tsareena, who, while not ballroom elegant like Lilligant, is very princess-like in the way she dropkicks her enemies in the face.

Is Tsareena as monstrous as Liligant with Own Tempo and the four moves of doom, or just good Grass type in general with a more flexible movelist?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Geostomp posted:

Is Tsareena as monstrous as Liligant with Own Tempo and the four moves of doom, or just good Grass type in general with a more flexible movelist?

Tsareena has pretty good stats (monstrous attack, decent defenses, decent speed by Alolan standards, badish HP), but a fairly shallow movepool without TMs/egg moves. Obviously I can't speak to how early the relevant TMs come, but if they're early enough then Tsareena seems pretty good in-game.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
man only now am I torn between beautiful sea princess and fire wrestler cat. I was always on team Pop but now I'm eyeing a cool rear end fire/dark wrestler cat with a great z-move and being all 'yea, I can get into that'.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm glad I learned about Steenee needing stomp to evolve into Tsareena because I don't think I would have been able to figure out that one on my own.

I gotta say, I'm not really a fan of those weird gimmick evolutions, but Tsareena is still cool though and still going to be on my team.

So how soon can you catch a Bounsweet? I don't want to trade for one at the pokecenter on the second island because I like to give all of my ingame Pokemon custom nicknames.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm glad I learned about Steenee needing stomp to evolve into Tsareena because I don't think I would have been able to figure out that one on my own.

I gotta say, I'm not really a fan of those weird gimmick evolutions, but Tsareena is still cool though and still going to be on my team.

So how soon can you catch a Bounsweet? I don't want to trade for one at the pokecenter on the second island because I like to give all of my ingame Pokemon custom nicknames.

Looks like you can catch it in the Lush Jungle on the second island.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Are you talking about an in-game trade, or did they, for whatever godly reason, axe the PSS from Gen 6? I feel like I shouldn't have to ask that question, but Gamefreak has been known to do incredibly silly poo poo.

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008
So the real question is: I just pre-downloaded the game, when can I actually play it? Wednesday at midnight or actually on Thursday? Also as a ghost Pokemon fanatic, this gen is easily the best. So many great ghosts. I might have to just do an all ghost first run.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Toastymcfly posted:

So the real question is: I just pre-downloaded the game, when can I actually play it? Wednesday at midnight or actually on Thursday? Also as a ghost Pokemon fanatic, this gen is easily the best. So many great ghosts. I might have to just do an all ghost first run.

It comes out on Friday and will probably be out at midnight.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Friday, at midnight, after the game is decrypted, so like...1 am EST.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Toastymcfly posted:

Midnight EST I believe, Thursday night (i.e. beginning of Friday).

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Midnight EST I believe, Thursday night (i.e. beginning of Friday).

Oh man, didn't realize Thursday was the 17th. Another whole day?? This is the worst news all week.

Edit: good news is that Hawaii time will work in my favor.

Toastymcfly fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 14, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blaziken386 posted:

Are you talking about an in-game trade, or did they, for whatever godly reason, axe the PSS from Gen 6? I feel like I shouldn't have to ask that question, but Gamefreak has been known to do incredibly silly poo poo.

In game trade, as far as I can tell PSS is still around. Even Gamefreak was smart enough to keep that feature.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In game trade, as far as I can tell PSS is still around. Even Gamefreak was smart enough to keep that feature.

I've heard PSS is gone but the popular/useful bits of it got stolen by other features. In other words, battle spot and wonder trade still exist but are presented differently.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

i always had faith in bounsweet since she was first revealed and i am not disappointed. she's flawless

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

I've heard PSS is gone but the popular/useful bits of it got stolen by other features. In other words, battle spot and wonder trade still exist but are presented differently.

This is the new online functionality screen, you need to join the Festival Plaza to access it, but unlike in the past, joining the Plaza is pretty much instant. Wonder Trade and the GTS are in the next menu once you press Trade, Battle Spot is accessible by touching Battle. It's all the exact same stuff but with a physical location attached to it where you can get all sorts of postgamey stuff like EV maxing juices. Basically, it's just PSS with a new coat of paint.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Omega Ruby is a dick. Tried to hatch a shiny Froakie, no shiny after 600 or so eggs. But I got a shiny from the Cherubi before it, the Sandshrew after it, and from a wild Zigzagoon I found after I gave up?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

PSWII60 posted:

Omega Ruby is a dick. Tried to hatch a shiny Froakie, no shiny after 600 or so eggs. But I got a shiny from the Cherubi before it, the Sandshrew after it, and from a wild Zigzagoon I found after I gave up?
The rule of thumb for shinies is "If you're actively looking for a shiny, you will never find it." Or, you'll get a shiny but the Hidden Ability won't be passed down, or it'll have lovely IVs, etc.
All of the games are evil like that.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but are o-powers still in the game? Those things are mad useful and I'd hate for them to be gone.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is the new online functionality screen, you need to join the Festival Plaza to access it, but unlike in the past, joining the Plaza is pretty much instant. Wonder Trade and the GTS are in the next menu once you press Trade, Battle Spot is accessible by touching Battle. It's all the exact same stuff but with a physical location attached to it where you can get all sorts of postgamey stuff like EV maxing juices. Basically, it's just PSS with a new coat of paint.

You can't wander around Alolo with it on, which sucks, but on further reflection that isn't the end of the world. I'll miss that functionality, though.

Also, what determines when a new visitor comes to your Festival Plaza? An exclamation mark appears on the menu so long as any new visitors are there, and I'm the kind of person who can't stand to leave those alone.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but are o-powers still in the game? Those things are mad useful and I'd hate for them to be gone.

They're out, sorry.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

They're out, sorry.

Welp. Hopefully the pelago hatchery makes up for the loss of hatching opower.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Welp. Hopefully the pelago hatchery makes up for the loss of hatching opower.

Don't remember how the hatching o - power works, but the pelago just lets you hatch eggs without them being in your party, over time instead of over steps. While I haven't tested it, I suspect that it will be significantly faster to put the egg in your party with an appropriate fire type and run up and down. They even have a route called Straight Street near the hatchery for this purpose, and the NPCs there joke about people running through with eggs.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
aw. I was hoping people would continue the spoiler tag trend. I love figuring out how things evolve on my own and skimming through and past the black bars wasn't enough this time. booo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly, given that you don't need to breed for IVs anymore (barring hidden power), jus dumping a bunch of eggs into the pelago and forgetting about them seems more efficient than existing breeding methods.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Huh, come to think, the fact that bottlecaps don't actually affect your IVs is another reason why there can't be Gen 6 - Gen 7 cross-compatibility...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Funkmaster General posted:

They even have a route called Straight Street near the hatchery for this purpose, and the NPCs there joke about people running through with eggs.

I love this

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

How many eggs can I dump into the slave hatchery? Because I have binders full of women that I need to hatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

notoriousman posted:

Huh, come to think, the fact that bottlecaps don't actually affect your IVs is another reason why there can't be Gen 6 - Gen 7 cross-compatibility...

I think one of the main reasons bottle caps don't actually affect IVs is because changing them will change the characteristic of the Pokemon in their summary page.