Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Oh, if you're playing J and want something other than curbstomps from start to finish, I'll note that it's one of the few games that let you give enemy units upgrades. Normally you'd need to play through the game several times to get the option, but there's a rather good cheat FAQ over on GameFAQs that has the codes you'll need to get the option on your first play through instead.

...if you're so inclined, you can also use cheats to set all the secret flags to on, so you can save Gai and still get Great Zeorymer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

GilliamYaeger posted:

Oh, if you're playing J and want something other than curbstomps from start to finish, I'll note that it's one of the few games that let you give enemy units upgrades. Normally you'd need to play through the game several times to get the option, but there's a rather good cheat FAQ over on GameFAQs that has the codes you'll need to get the option on your first play through instead.

...if you're so inclined, you can also use cheats to set all the secret flags to on, so you can save Gai and still get Great Zeorymer.

Not just giving your enemies upgrades, but it lets you fully customize your protagonist's spirit list on New Game+. You will be taking Fury because everything in the endgame has Orgone Shields.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Raxivace posted:

J sounds bizarre.

Is there like a ballpark amount of accuracy I should be looking toward getting to?

Can't upgrade accuracy except as full upgrade bonus and there is pretty much no reason why you don't pick "S rank is every terrain" for both mech and weapon full upgrade bonus every time when that gives you an accuracy bonus as well. I like to turn the "spend points as you level up" option rather than intermission only and just slam the first 20 or so points in accuracy. Turning spending points as you level up means when you get special final stage only reinforcements and they level up they'll have 50 or so points to spend per playthrough, which is a nice way to get a little help!

Caphi posted:

Augh Z3 twins were so bad though.

I'm pretty sure the trailer attacks had some splash-looking effects included so there's probably going to be some grouping.

What makes you hate the Z3 twins?

I thought the Z3 twins were alright as a simplification of the Tri system while also letting people in the back do cool moves with the Maximum Break thing. You can support defend people not in your team, support attack upgrades make people in the back do more damage, movement ranges round up instead of down and I file "whoever is in front gets credit for the kill even if the sub gets the actual bop" under a quality of life sidegrade so its braindead easy to get kills on who you want. Letting people in the back also counter attack if conditions are right also speeds the game up a lot vs Z1 where 2/3 of your squad aren't contributing to the counter attack so that's when you ALL and Tri but then Wide formation exists so welcome to hell (unless you're Kei). Spirit Command+ were alright too! It's not amazing and most of the pluses are quality of life vs tactical mechanical stuff, but... its alright? There's some big stinkers like a predominantly melee unit having a ranged assist attack but that's the same in Z1 too. I think OGverse twins are my favourite. Gimme OGverse triplets and then we're talking,

KoB
May 1, 2009
Is Gundam G Gen still not up on PSN? It comes out in like a week or two.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Nope. SRW V is already up on the Japanese PSN but G Gen looks like it's not gonna show up till day of release at the moment.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Okay, I give up. How in the hell do you get Alpha Gaiden to run on ePSXe without crashing immediately?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Hello friends, I'm playing OG MD now, and I'm kind of confused about what has happened in the series since OG2. Is there a good story summary somewhere?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KoldPT posted:

Hello friends, I'm playing OG MD now, and I'm kind of confused about what has happened in the series since OG2. Is there a good story summary somewhere?

If you get the patch there is a gallery that contains summaries of the previous games. It's not perfect (they don't translate the dialogue scenes) but it + the library will fill you in.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The final boss of SRW Alpha realized that the game was doing the plot of Alpha 2 again, and introduced a badly written OC into the plot to try to derail his own defeat while also making a robot that took advantage of the plot warping around the OC's ridiculous Mary Sue traits.

That's not a joke.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The local Sofmap made a good choice for a video demo for their monitors.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Samurai Sanders posted:

The local Sofmap made a good choice for a video demo for their monitors.

Setsuna would just crash if he saw this, wouldn't he?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I started up F again and holy gently caress i hate these L-Gaim bosses. This has got to be the most exhausting 4700 hp I've ever tried to chew my way through

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Okay, I give up. How in the hell do you get Alpha Gaiden to run on ePSXe without crashing immediately?

You know, I recently posted my AG build for someone else, so I'll just link you to that instead of going through and exhaustively reviewing your version and settings. The only other tip I can give you if this fails is to try 1.5.0 instead of 1.6.0. I did all of my testing on 1.5.0. No bios in this zip either.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Confession time: I just now beat MD after a few tries at the final stage spread over months. The final stage was annoying even by SRW standards and the epilogue didn't seem like it would be so thrilling. Turns out it wasn't. Anyway, that's over with and now I'm ready for G-Gen in ten days. I've still never beaten one of those though...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 13, 2016

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Confession time: I just now beat MD. The final stage was annoying even by SRW standards and the epilogue didn't seem like it would be so thrilling. Turns out it wasn't. Anyway, that's over with and now I'm ready for G-Gen in ten days. I've still never beaten one of those though...

I beat MD, like, three weeks ago. And I'll agree that the finale was irksome, what with you needing to trickle down those big Lamaris... but I wasn't all too bothered because of how much the XO finale traumatized me.

Not since the Dark Brain mission did SRW manage to actively aggravate me like that. And at least in the Dark Brain mission our guys had SP Regen so we could be more liberal with SP! :tizzy:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Brunom1 posted:

I beat MD, like, three weeks ago. And I'll agree that the finale was irksome, what with you needing to trickle down those big Lamaris... but I wasn't all too bothered because of how much the XO finale traumatized me.

Not since the Dark Brain mission did SRW manage to actively aggravate me like that. And at least in the Dark Brain mission our guys had SP Regen so we could be more liberal with SP! :tizzy:
I didn't even attack half of the Lamaris though. In fact, if you leave any of them alive the boss won't use its map attack and that's the only way I could play without throwing my PS4 out the loving window.

I also did not like having to pause attacking and wait out Faith three times .

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't even attack half of the Lamaris though. In fact, if you leave any of them alive the boss won't use its map attack and that's the only way I could play without throwing my PS4 out the loving window.

I also did not like having to pause attacking and wait out Faith three times .

Oh, yeah, I did leave some of the little guys to stop that. But don't you at least need to take out the big guys for the plot to kick in and the boss to show up? I thought you did.

And I guess you didn't see that the game gave you a Mind Blast equipable weapon at some point? :v:

Stick it on someone with Fury like Leona and she can dispel spirit commands - you can end the fight in one round with liberal usage of that and Enable.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Brunom1 posted:

Oh, yeah, I did leave some of the little guys to stop that. But don't you at least need to take out the big guys for the plot to kick in and the boss to show up? I thought you did.

And I guess you didn't see that the game gave you a Mind Blast equipable weapon at some point? :v:

Stick it on someone with Fury like Leona and she can dispel spirit commands - you can end the fight in one round with liberal usage of that and Enable.
If you don't destroy them in 8 turns Dabide starts the ritual anyway. I decided to take my whole army around one side of the gate so I never got to the three on the other side.

Yeah, didn't think of Mind Blast, but had Leona do Armor Break.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think it's weird how the The Guests were the least threatening villains in OG2nd, but had the best music theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8HdyK8HqBE

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think it's weird how the The Guests were the least threatening villains in OG2nd, but had the best music theme.
Yeah, whenever I fight them I feel like I'm being threatened by the Crimson Permanent Assurance but drat if their music isn't exciting.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 14, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm watching F91 right now and thinking, the Mother Vanguard is going to be in V right? Or does it get destroyed in the era following Crossbone or anything stupid like that? I loving love that thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The Mother Vanguard is destroyed during the events of Crossbone because it's a giant continuity error. It's probably for the best because it even existing is almost as dumb as the Vagans in Gundam AGE being able to move their home the entire time.

But it should definitely be around during the events of V.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

But I wanna have my Pirate Queen Vera back :(

She was one of my top killers in Alpha 2!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I'm partly convinced they brought in Crossbone specifically because they wanted a game with good-rear end battleships alongside the Yamato.

But yes, they end up pulling a 0083 on the Mother Vanguard to preserve canon.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 14, 2016

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Speaking of awesome battleships, I hope they continue in the last few game's tradition of giving us a submarine that can suddenly fly.

Yes I know the Ikaruga sub version was never a playable unit in Z2 but it was the thought that counts. I also want to see their explanation on how the cross ange units can function in space with their open cockpit design even though I know it will be the lame xabungle excuse again.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ryoga posted:

Speaking of awesome battleships, I hope they continue in the last few game's tradition of giving us a submarine that can suddenly fly.

Just give us the Gotengo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BlitzBlast posted:

The Mother Vanguard is destroyed during the events of Crossbone because it's a giant continuity error. It's probably for the best because it even existing is almost as dumb as the Vagans in Gundam AGE being able to move their home the entire time.

But it should definitely be around during the events of V.
I never experienced Crossbone outside of Alpha 2 and that was a long time ago (and due to advice from everyone I never watched Age) so can you explain the continuity error? Also does the Crossbone stuff in V take place before the main story or something?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I never experienced Crossbone outside of Alpha 2 and that was a long time ago (and due to advice from everyone I never watched Age) so can you explain the continuity error? Also does the Crossbone stuff in V take place before the main story or something?

The Mother Vanguard was equipped with a Minovsky Drive system, aka the V2 Gundam's famous Wings of Light, despite the series taking place years before Victory.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I thought every ship in Gundam had one of those and the V2 was just the time they fit one inside a mobile suit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah I thought from the White Base on every ship that could operate in an atmosphere could do that. How else could it hover like that?

Also when is Stardust Memory going to be back in SRW? The story is nothing special to me but I always liked the characters and mechanical designs among the best of UC.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 15, 2016

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
You're thinking of the Minovsky Craft - the Minovsky Drive is a ridiculously upgraded version that lets you go at sanic speeds using 'sails' of light. The Mother Vanguard, for example, could go from Earth to Jupiter in only a few weeks, compared to the months it took for every other ship.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Samurai Sanders posted:

Like Gilliam mentioned, the Mother Vanguard had a full on Minovsky Drive years ahead of its time. And for the purposes of the setting, this made sense because otherwise the plot would've had to halt for like seven months when they head to Earth. The problem comes in that the entire crux of Jupiter's (supposed) motivation is that they're rebelling against the stranglehold on resources the Earth has on them, which only exists because of that long as hell commute time. If only there was some way to shorten that trip so that anyone could send over supplies...!

So yeah, the Crossbone Vanguard are literally futzing around with the solution to all of Jupiter's problems the entire time. And they don't do anything with it but play pirate because if they actually did spread the technology it'd be a massive continuity error.

The sequels get even dumber about this because they still want to do things in Jupiter, so the Minovsky Drive gets reinvented twice and lost forever both times.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What role that that Minovsky Drive or whatever have in Alpha 2? I didn't think the Mother Vanguard had any fancy technology other than that big shield ram thing.

I mean, they went back and forth between Jupiter like it was nothing but they always find a way to do stuff like that in SRW.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Schwarzwald posted:

Just give us the Gotengo.

Make sure to bring Captain Gordon too. Also Kiryu and Akane.

Just add Godzilla please SRW you're almost there he's in X-O already

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Samurai Sanders posted:

What role that that Minovsky Drive or whatever have in Alpha 2? I didn't think the Mother Vanguard had any fancy technology other than that big shield ram thing.

I mean, they went back and forth between Jupiter like it was nothing but they always find a way to do stuff like that in SRW.

Its less crazy there because you've had the V2 for two games by that point.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
There are some things I don't recognize from the G Gen trailer. Some were easy to figure out based on the title card that was shown before each thing, but there are three I can't figure out.

Here they are.

6 armed thing, knight thing beating up Amuro and a Gundam with lots of stuff stuck to it. Any ideas?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

That last one looks like someone fused the Hi-Nu with the Extraordinary-Superior Gundam. :stare:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
The middle one is the Gyan Custom, which was built much later than the Gyan - it's Neo-Zeon, but was much harder to pilot than most of their mechs so never made it out of very limited production.

G Gen's used it before - in fact I think they're the only thing that ever has, as it was created for one of the G Gen games, SD I think - so it's not surprising that they've decided to use it again.

I don't recognize either of the others immediately, though.

edit: now with timg, didn't realize that was so big

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 15, 2016

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Ooo, nice! My initial thoughts were some sort of Gyan based on it being vaguely knight-y and fighting Amuro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

That last one looks like someone fused the Hi-Nu with the Extraordinary-Superior Gundam. :stare:
I'm more bothered by the random giant twin crotch thrusters. Like, what's the point of them, balance?

• Locked thread