Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Josef bugman posted:

Rebs or anarch?

Also, anyone got the right order?

Actually I think you get locked out of one of the options no matter what as Rebels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Dolash posted:

I actually found myself wishing we could make our own party members like in Pillars of Eternity. Have Tunon let us buy up some trainee Fatebinders to fill out our investigation squad, which would also free up the writers to make the faction-specific companions harder to keep if you go against them without robbing the player of their only armored tank or healer. Besides, it feels a little more budding-Overlord-ish to have your own minions.
I mean this makes sense in theory but I prefer actual NPCs because I like the conversation

Also what do you mean by "only healer", every caster except for me has Surge of Glory and Healing Touch

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

JT Jag posted:

I mean this makes sense in theory but I prefer actual NPCs because I like the conversation

Also what do you mean by "only healer", every caster except for me has Surge of Glory and Healing Touch

drat near every companion has that, caster or not -as long as you pass like the 15 lore check that level 1's all have you are casting like the best of them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dolash posted:

You're not locked out of that. It just matters who you recruit. I recruited Forge-bound, then was offered earthshakers or unbroken and went to unbroken, then was offered sages and earthshakers and went sages. If I'd chosen earthshakers at any point I'd have gone to Azure, but missed one of the others.

I'm not sure I fully understand. It sounds like you'd have missed a region no matter what...?

Edit: Alright looks like I'm not crazy after all.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

JT Jag posted:

Eh, I didn't pay close attention to what the companions were doing, I just figured "Eb's doing the healing" and left it at that.

And yeah NPCs with actual dialogue are usually preferable, but they're already willing to let you turn everyone down and run around solo so at that point the option to fill up your party with purely combat characters would be fun. And to be honest, the companions are mostly exposition trees with some extra comments during the game here and there, but don't interact with the plot very much and aren't particularly dynamic - once you've played through the game once and seen what they have to say there doesn't seem to be a lot of variations between playthroughs, a consequence of making them modular and optional. As it stands, if you turn down every companion the only consequence I know of is you don't have their muscle in the party.

I wish the faction-specific companions could do more with their respective factions. I know Barik for example gets offered a chance to abandon you and rejoin the Disfavored if your loyalty/fear isn't high enough and begged uselessly for cooperation between you and Graven Ashe, but that's not much. If they could be a way to ally with a faction you otherwise fought against in the endgame or provide new solutions to certain quests that might make them feel more integrated in the story. If they had some kind of "personal quest" or other opportunity to develop that'd be neat too, but I don't think they do.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 15, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lantry is actually the best healer, his talents strongly bias support magic. But since magic is mostly based on Lore he's almost as good as Eb at combat magic, she just gets some great cooldown stuff.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eej posted:

You can do all three Edicts (as Rebels) you just need to do them in the right order. :saddowns:
Ok. Can you spoiler tag the right order for me?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Since we've been talking about Act 3 being rushed, I want to wind things back and say that Act 1 is really good. I like that it's succinct and focused, the time limit doesn't actually limit what you're doing but does add to the tension, and the strong introduction you get to the factions and the world set the stage really well for the rest of the game. It's basically a sort of tutorial area, with the real meat of the game being Act 2 and then Act 3 just being mop-up, but it doesn't feel as confining as a lot of RPG opening acts do - there was a mod to skip the starting dungeon of Baldur's Gate 2 that was extremely popular, if I recall.

If anything it might've set the bar a bit high for the rest of the game, since it's sort of like an extra-elaborate version of one of the places you hit up for recruits/evidence/Edicts in Act 2. It had some of the polish and action that was missing from Act 3, which maybe should've been another singular event tying all the factions and plot points back together. Earlier I suggested a siege of the Bastard City, and it's still surprising to me that even though it's somewhere everyone went in the Conquest and is clearly important in the Tiers, you never see anything beyond Tunon's court.

Also, can I ask if anyone's played the rebel route in an evil way? It seems most people who choose to join the rebels do it to liberate the Tiers, like I did, but I remember seeing a lot of options that cast your rebellion as more like the rise of a new evil overlord. The ending was also quite rosy and talked a lot about liberation, but I could imagine a version that went the other way easily enough. I'm thinking of doing a maximum-evil playthrough to counterbalance my good one, but I can't tell if evil rebel works that way or if you're just better off taking over the Chorus or being a lone madman.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 15, 2016

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Quick question about Act 3 and implicating one of the Archons. I had a decent amount of information against Nerat, but apparently it wasn't enough. Are there any major things you need to ensure Tunon finds him guilty? I pointed out he couldn't control Siren, that the chorus tried to recruit forgebound, that they gave Disfavored patrol routes to the enemy, as well as sold them weaponry. I'm not a huge fan of savescumming to get a better outcome but I'm curious to how I could have 'won' that.

edit: I had Favor 3 with the archon of shadows and apparently that wasn't enough to make him not turn on me either. Lame. Got Tunon on my side at least.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 15, 2016

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Quick question about Act 3 and implicating one of the Archons. I had a decent amount of information against Nerat, but apparently it wasn't enough. Are there any major things you need to ensure Tunon finds him guilty? I pointed out he couldn't control Siren, that the chorus tried to recruit forgebound, that they gave Disfavored patrol routes to the enemy, as well as sold them weaponry. I'm not a huge fan of savescumming to get a better outcome but I'm curious to how I could have 'won' that.

edit: I had Favor 3 with the archon of shadows and apparently that wasn't enough to make him not turn on me either. Lame. Got Tunon on my side at least.

I think you probably just needed more evidence, or maybe to argue for some of it better. Some other things you can bring up:

In Act 1 you can discover Nerat ate Graven Ashe's son by staying quiet when they're having their final argument and Nerat gets too worked up and loses control. At the library you can learn they're running the search for the Quiet Archive as a game and Scarlet Chorus have been torturing Disfavored prisoners since even before the war. There's a lot of Conquest decisions that can turn up evidence too, like if they raided Disfavored supply lines or you discover them recruiting in the Bladelands after you specifically forbade them from doing that.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tunon's verdict is entirely based on having high favor and low wrath, and maybe having enough Lore to loophole a bit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

As a complete cRPG neophyte am I going to have a Bad Time if I try to make a caster nerd for my character

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Ciaphas posted:

As a complete cRPG neophyte am I going to have a Bad Time if I try to make a caster nerd for my character

Just remember in this game magic is hidden in shopkeepers pockets.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ciaphas posted:

One thing about cRPGs is that caster nerds are almost always the Right Character Build

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ciaphas posted:

No, it's perfectly feasible

Be prepared to sell every piece of heavy armor you ever come across though, unless you decide to give it to maybe Verse to make her a little more sturdy as a two-handed fighter or something

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

One thing about cRPGs is that caster nerds are almost always the Right Character Build

In Tyranny I think two handed weapon pain train with a side dish of Magic buffs is honestly as swole as it gets. You can truly atomize fuckers with the amount of damage two handers put out with investment in the Power tree.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

In Tyranny I think two handed weapon pain train with a side dish of Magic buffs is honestly as swole as it gets. You can truly atomize fuckers with the amount of damage two handers put out with investment in the Power tree.

Are you suggesting I could actually be a Muscle Wizard

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah there is an Accent that boosts your weapon enchant spells at the expense of being only usable on yourself and the damage can go a little crazy with a two hander.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I like CRPGs but I wanna be a good person who stands up to evil, I'm not in the mood for any more dystopias that can't be fixed or fought

can I do this

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Unarmed/Magic is arguably the strongest class in the game, because you can loving pummel people to death with your lightning fists.

Like straight up, the second you get "buff weapon" spell, and apply it to your hands, nothing can withstand you. I am pretty sure at this point I could be soloing the game right now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Guess all that's left then is to decide, to continue the memeing, wheter to cast FIST or SWORD :v:

Couple hours before I can go home, though. Bugger.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Eej posted:

Yeah there is an Accent that boosts your weapon enchant spells at the expense of being only usable on yourself and the damage can go a little crazy with a two hander.

Fire Core + Material Force + Pride Magic + Sigil of Strength IV is +51% fire damage for 67.5 seconds, for the low low cost of 135 Lore.

Totally doable, if I'm being honest :v:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Grondoth posted:

I like CRPGs but I wanna be a good person who stands up to evil, I'm not in the mood for any more dystopias that can't be fixed or fought

can I do this

If you go rebel you can.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really like this game but its a shame about the load times

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

eonwe posted:

I really like this game but its a shame about the load times

Playing on an HDD and it's not that bad...

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Grondoth posted:

can I do this

Lucky for you, standing against the big bad guy is the only loving ending you can get.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 15, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fire Core + Material Force + Pride Magic + Sigil of Strength IV is +51% fire damage for 67.5 seconds, for the low low cost of 135 Lore.

Totally doable, if I'm being honest :v:

You can just do what I was doing which was use Pride + Strength I + Timeless I for Fire and Earth cores because weapon enchants stack. Frost enchant is 10% damage cause the game values Slow a ton and Lightning just seemed kinda poopy if you aren't punching every second.

I'm not actually sure how to maximize for punching cause Volcanic is good but Pride is even better. I guess you could self cast Pride accented Fire and Lightning on your fists and then have Pantry cast Volcanic Earth on your fists so you can spray fire everywhere.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

SunAndSpring posted:

Lucky for you, standing against the big bad guy is the only loving ending you can get.

To be fair, your motives for standing against the villain vary from "I must liberate the people" to "I have been betrayed because the Overlord feared my power" to "I will become the NEW Overlord" to "I'm a stab-crazy rear end in a top hat!"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So assuming you go to the burning library as a rebel, and that locks you out of the stone sea, how do you get the spires in the stone sea? Aren't all 5 necessary to do the edict?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People weren't kidding that the ending was sudden and pretty boring. Good game otherwise though.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So assuming you go to the burning library as a rebel, and that locks you out of the stone sea, how do you get the spires in the stone sea? Aren't all 5 necessary to do the edict?

I don't think you need all five to do the Edict, only the main spire seems to actually launch them, and the "Power" they spend seems to come from a lot of sources (and since you only NEED to cast two, I think you get enough power by default). Regardless, whichever one you don't unlock, a Fatebinder messenger tells you about at the start of chapter three.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So what's with the open unmarked spoilers that literally state the ending outright lately folks

Have we all forgotten how to use tags? Game has only been out for less than a week.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

So what's with the open unmarked spoilers that literally state the ending outright lately folks

Have we all forgotten how to use tags? Game has only been out for less than a week.

Goons.

The minimap sucks, especially in places with a lot of small doors and stuff - key people and key locations are not even labelled, and if they are it's seemingly random.

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 15, 2016

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
I've seen people complain about companions whining when you act against their faction, though I honestly feel the other way around. The game would benefit from being even more designed for replays and having companions actually turn on you rather than just lamely say "Wow you're a real piece of poo poo" while they continue to help you attack the faction they're aligned with.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It makes sense that Verse would be ambivalent about the Chorus as long as she gets her kicks elsewhere (their lack of loyalty is less a bug than a feature), but Barik and the Disfavored... not really.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Greaseman posted:

I've seen people complain about companions whining when you act against their faction, though I honestly feel the other way around. The game would benefit from being even more designed for replays and having companions actually turn on you rather than just lamely say "Wow you're a real piece of poo poo" while they continue to help you attack the faction they're aligned with.

I don't know, you can lose at least 2/6 companions super easily.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

I don't usually defend this sort of thing but knowing the ending in advance is kind of a nice service - it's bad so you lose nothing and you get a good idea of the sort of character archetypes that won't pan out (i.e. the first one that came to everyone's mind when they started the game).

SunAndSpring posted:

Yeah they wuss out hard on the core "play the villain" concept.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 15, 2016

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Deified Data posted:

I don't usually defend this sort of thing but knowing the ending in advance is kind of a nice service - it's bad so you lose nothing and you get a good idea of the sort of character archetypes that won't pan out (i.e. the first one that came to everyone's mind when they started the game).

Maybe leave that up to the people playing? There's people that love spoilers for literally every single thing because it helps their enjoyment, but not everybody thinks like you so you have spoiler tags.

It's like my autistic college roomate who thought spoilers didn't matter so he'd tell everyone the latest poo poo in TV shows as a way to expand their knowledge and he thought he was helping everyone. Everyone hated him. Don't be like him.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Here's the most important spoiler question.

Is there a way to get Barik out of his armor so he can take a loving shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Here's the most important spoiler question.

Is there a way to get Barik out of his armor so he can take a loving shower.

No.

• Locked thread