Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I really enjoyed Firewatch - can't put my finger on exactly what it was, but it was a touching story. When the finale came, I stayed around the tower longer than I expected, kind of sad to see the place go. Didn't expect myself to get as into the game as much I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I really enjoyed Firewatch - can't put my finger on exactly what it was, but it was a touching story. When the finale came, I stayed around the tower longer than I expected, kind of sad to see the place go. Didn't expect myself to get as into the game as much I did.

Same I thought it was like, a genuinely emotional moment when you find out the deal with the dude and the cave and such.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Efexeye posted:

FIREwatch, sorry

I'm over it

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If you guys liked Firewatch maybe check out Virgina? I really liked it - it's a shorter game and quite different, but it has a similar first-person perspective on a narrative. The editing might be weird for some people though, I definitely felt like I missed minor details in a few spots because the scene switched before I expected it to. I played it in a single sitting like a movie and that seems a good way to do it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Biplane posted:

Same I thought it was like, a genuinely emotional moment when you find out the deal with the dude and the cave and such.

Yeah, you get really invested in it once it sinks in that the dialog choices build on each other and threads keep resurfacing. Who Henry is, how he approaches life, and his relationship with Delilah all turn out the way they do in the end because you made that happen and they could have gone another way. They give you enough freedom and tools to help write the story yourself.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Now I want Firewatch to end by you finding the person who started the fire and it turned out to be Junkrat.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Efexeye posted:

man, I thought Overwatch was terrible. being presented as a game added nothing to the story.
Agreed

Efexeye posted:

FIREwatch, sorry
Oh sorry but you're wrong.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Chard posted:

If you guys liked Firewatch maybe check out Virgina? I really liked it - it's a shorter game and quite different, but it has a similar first-person perspective on a narrative. The editing might be weird for some people though, I definitely felt like I missed minor details in a few spots because the scene switched before I expected it to. I played it in a single sitting like a movie and that seems a good way to do it.

Played through Virginia yesterday.

It's an interesting idea but it just a bit shite in execution. Can't say i'd recommend it at all.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

spudsbuckley posted:

Played through Virginia yesterday.

It's an interesting idea but it just a bit shite in execution. Can't say i'd recommend it at all.

Can you elaborate? I've heard that it's very unorthodox, given how it does its cinema-style cutaways, but other than that not much.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Morpheus posted:

Can you elaborate? I've heard that it's very unorthodox, given how it does its cinema-style cutaways, but other than that not much.

It is a barely interactive walking simulator (i enjoy the genre) and the story is just poorly conveyed and doesn't really have a coherent conclusion. Maybe that's the point but i just didn't find it very good.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Chard posted:

If you guys liked Firewatch maybe check out Far Cry 2!

It's your fault when they die.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Efexeye posted:

man, I thought Overwatch was terrible. being presented as a game added nothing to the story.

I agree. Blizzard goes to a lot of trouble of making a world and story and none of it is reflected in game. Just make a web series already, Jesus.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Honestly reading into the story of Overwatch kinda screwed up the gameplay for me because now I sometimes have those really self aware moments where it's like "none of these characters should be fighting each other, what's the point, most of them like each other and the ones that don't barely even hate each other". The devs' explanation of 'it's like playing with your action figures, who cares what GI Joe's story is when he's fighting the decepticons' doesn't really help. But I guess that's a Thing Dragging The Game Down and not a Little Thing In The Game.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

It is a barely interactive walking simulator (i enjoy the genre) and the story is just poorly conveyed and doesn't really have a coherent conclusion. Maybe that's the point but i just didn't find it very good.

It's fair to say that it's barely interactive and a walking simulator. I basically went into it expecting a movie where I'm the camera and got that, so I wasn't disappointed. I disagree that it doesn't have a coherent conclusion though - it's abstract in a way the rest isn't but it all made sense to me. I really don't want to say more because the whole experience is like 2-3 hours so if you can get it on sale and you're curious, check it out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CJacobs posted:

Honestly reading into the story of Overwatch kinda screwed up the gameplay for me because now I sometimes have those really self aware moments where it's like "none of these characters should be fighting each other, what's the point, most of them like each other and the ones that don't barely even hate each other". The devs' explanation of 'it's like playing with your action figures, who cares what GI Joe's story is when he's fighting the decepticons' doesn't really help. But I guess that's a Thing Dragging The Game Down and not a Little Thing In The Game.

GI Joe's fought the decepticons several times, and it was usually because they were teamed up with Cobra.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
That was one thing I loved about TF2 when it first came out, it had tons of personality without any pretension of plot or worldbuilding to get in the way of that or the actual gameplay.

Of course now it has a huge backstory where Red and Blu are actually brothers warring over their family fortune and there's also devil magic and evil robot hordes and :regd08: but it was nice while it lasted.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Chard posted:

It's fair to say that it's barely interactive and a walking simulator. I basically went into it expecting a movie where I'm the camera and got that, so I wasn't disappointed. I disagree that it doesn't have a coherent conclusion though - it's abstract in a way the rest isn't but it all made sense to me. I really don't want to say more because the whole experience is like 2-3 hours so if you can get it on sale and you're curious, check it out.

My problem is that the conclusion is basically an episode of Scooby Doo and while a bait and switch can work it has to be more interesting than what you were promised. We got a government plot to do...something and instead just got some dude running around playing pranks with a metaphorical sheet over his head.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

RagnarokAngel posted:

My problem is that the conclusion is basically an episode of Scooby Doo and while a bait and switch can work it has to be more interesting than what you were promised. We got a government plot to do...something and instead just got some dude running around playing pranks with a metaphorical sheet over his head.

yeah I remember thinking "Wow theyre about go batshit with this" and hoping it wasn't aliens or men in black or some dumb twist but in fact it was nothing at all...

I really felt tricked. Why was it even there?!?! stupid.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

CJacobs posted:

This is the worst complaint about a game I have ever seen.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

CJacobs posted:

Considering it's a Blizzard game, just pretend everyone on one team(or both) is corrupted.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

That was one thing I loved about TF2 when it first came out, it had tons of personality without any pretension of plot or worldbuilding to get in the way of that or the actual gameplay.

Of course now it has a huge backstory where Red and Blu are actually brothers warring over their family fortune and there's also devil magic and evil robot hordes and :regd08: but it was nice while it lasted.

Except all of that is intentionally over the top and goofy, while Blizzard is painfully serious.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuebot posted:

GI Joe's fought the decepticons several times, and it was usually because they were teamed up with Cobra.

I looked this up and holy poo poo did I pick a bad metaphor. :eyepop:

codenameFANGIO posted:

This is the worst complaint about a game I have ever seen.

I acknowledge that it's not a very valid complaint because you definitely can separate Overwatch the story from Overwatch the videogame. But every time the characters are like "ha ha we're all buddies!" and then shoot each other I'm like "oh..."

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Except all of that is intentionally over the top and goofy, while Blizzard is painfully serious.

Are we referring to the same Blizzard?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I dunno if this belongs in the 'good video game thing' or 'bad video game thing' or both, but whatever.

At the end of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, you're presented with a Tough Choice: save important delegates from being poisoned, which will allow them to lobby in your favour in the future; or stop the bad guy from blowing up residential buildings. You don't have enough time to do both!
Except that you totally do have enough time to do both, and the game acknowledges it and doesn't auto-fail for one if you do the other one.

Although it does have two points of weirdness:
1. For some reason there's a very obvious shortcut to the bomber right after you save the delegates and there's almost no enemies down that hall and it takes like 30 seconds. The game's own objective markers lead you down a totally different path and I have no idea what's meant to be up with that.
2. Earlier in the game there's another Tough Choice where you really can do only one of them. This one is kind of weird because you have an ally with cloaking technology that theoretically could really easily do the 'easier' mission (stop a leader of a cult from mind-uploading themselves) instead of just whining that they can't do the 'harder' one (literally robbing a high security bank).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

I acknowledge that it's not a very valid complaint because you definitely can separate Overwatch the story from Overwatch the videogame. But every time the characters are like "ha ha we're all buddies!" and then shoot each other I'm like "oh..."

I get what you mean but it's not like if they were more solidly split between bad guys and good guys you'd be playing out a gritty war drama where the characters died for real anyway. It's better than Mortal Kombat, where fatalities are such a big part of the series but everyone goes un-brutally murdered. Overwatch is super cartoony and barely above Splatoon in childish fake shooting each other as far as the gameplay side goes.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
My favorite thing in Splatoon is how it gets me to scream at my console more than any other game :black101:

Also the Great Turf War is no joke and many Cephalopoda died for the privileges we have today.

#MakeInkopolisGreatAgain

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

WickedHate posted:

I get what you mean but it's not like if they were more solidly split between bad guys and good guys you'd be playing out a gritty war drama where the characters died for real anyway.

If you were only familiar with the game's backstory, you might think this is what you'd be playing, though. I'm only vaguely familiar with it but I know it involves robot uprisings, politics, betrayals, and arguments over the civil rights of sentient machines. And then, as you say, the gameplay is basically Splatoon. (Except the characters keep referencing that heavy backstory in voice clips, to remind you how much it doesn't match what's happening around you I guess.)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Triarii posted:

If you were only familiar with the game's backstory, you might think this is what you'd be playing, though. I'm only vaguely familiar with it but I know it involves robot uprisings, politics, betrayals, and arguments over the civil rights of sentient machines. And then, as you say, the gameplay is basically Splatoon. (Except the characters keep referencing that heavy backstory in voice clips, to remind you how much it doesn't match what's happening around you I guess.)

I don't think it's too different from like, that one DC moba that came and went super fast, where Batman and the Joker could be fighting Superman or something. Overwatch is basically a mix up of Street Fighter, GI Joe, and a superhero universe.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Triarii posted:

Overwatch's whole backstory thing - of big political dealings and wars happening in the past with an international agency that was canned but is now being somewhat revived - is basically a giant reference and reuse of the fact that Overwatch, at least asset-wise, is the cobbled-together remains of what would have been Titan, Blizzard's new MMO.
They cancelled it because they couldn't find a way to make it fun.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

bewilderment posted:

Overwatch's whole backstory thing - of big political dealings and wars happening in the past with an international agency that was canned but is now being somewhat revived - is basically a giant reference and reuse of the fact that Overwatch, at least asset-wise, is the cobbled-together remains of what would have been Titan, Blizzard's new MMO.
They cancelled it because they couldn't find a way to make it fun.

When step one is "What if your character also had a day job that you have to do?" you've really got your work cut out for you

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

:confused: I don't want to take over the thread about this but whaaat? My memory's a little hazy but as I recall all the paranormal stuff was in your/her imagination, dreams etc. trying to solve the case of the missing teen, with the pressure of investigating your partner for internal affairs at the same time. The literal acid trip was what your life could be like if you sold her out, but it led to an insight that cracked both cases open and got you two out of jail.. Again I could be misremembering but that was my takeaway.

e: Thinking about this more I don't actually remember exactly which way it went. Anyway, I enjoyed the ambiguity :downs:

Chard has a new favorite as of 05:09 on Nov 15, 2016

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

WickedHate posted:

It's better than Mortal Kombat, where fatalities are such a big part of the series but everyone goes un-brutally murdered.
Uh, like 50% of the cast bites it in MK9 :confused:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Killed By Death posted:

Uh, like 50% of the cast bites it in MK9 :confused:

In a cutscene by a random last minute plot development.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
Johnny Cage, man.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

edit: I totally misread the post this post was quoting.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Lol I got switched and thought that poster was talking about Virginia. Now I don't know which was is up.
e: now you edited it so I just look even crazier

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Everything about Tyranny. You're an rear end in a top hat lawyer except you work for an evil empire and can kill or screw over anyone if you can twist the law to support it. Or lie about that since you're the only literate person in town.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The entire cast of Overwatch is united in their hatred of the red team. gently caress those guys!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

The Iron Rose posted:

Everything about Tyranny. You're an rear end in a top hat lawyer except you work for an evil empire and can kill or screw over anyone if you can twist the law to support it. Or lie about that since you're the only literate person in town.

If you don't immediately start playing that game as Bronze Age Judge Dredd then I don't even know what to tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
I've been playing a lot of Titanfall 2 lately and I've got to say, for a game whose singleplayer plot is consists almost entirely of the most obvious cliches and story beats you could think of in an action game about a guy and his big robot fighting in a space civil war, everything about it is super well done. All the dialogue between BT and Jack Cooper is great but probably my favourite is the way that over the course of the campaign, BT goes from calling you just "Pilot" to, "Pilot Cooper" and eventually "Jack", representing the two becoming closer as they fight together, to the point where I was getting some genuine emotional responses to cliched story twists that were telegraphed a fuckin' mile off. On top of the great character work I also appreciate the way that they introduce gameplay elements that exist for just a single level, rather than feeling the need to stretch out the story so they can reuse everything multiple times, especially the enemy titan pilots all being one-off boss fights rather than recurring enemies.

It's probably the first shooter game campaign that I've actually felt somewhat invested for a long time, which is somewhat amazing given Titanfall 1's complete lack of campaign.