Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Oh, I see. It depends on having the full glyph sequence from watching someone input a password. For some reason I was thinking it was more complicated than that and looked right past the obvious answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hello goons, something just occurred to me today. If "correct horse battery staple" is a good format for a password, couldn't you easily use quotes as something just as individual, secure, and even more memorable? It seems like subbing it with, say, one of my favorite sayings from Voltaire, gives me 150 bits of entropy to the horse's 107.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hello goons, something just occurred to me today. If "correct horse battery staple" is a good format for a password, couldn't you easily use quotes as something just as individual, secure, and even more memorable? It seems like subbing it with, say, one of my favorite sayings from Voltaire, gives me 150 bits of entropy to the horse's 107.

Yes?

e: using quotes is fine, but change the words around or the order of them, use complex characters, keep it long

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 14, 2016

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Cup Runneth Over posted:

couldn't you easily use quotes as something just as individual, secure,

it wouldn't be because you're not choosing the words randomly. someone could do a dictionary attack seeded on a book of quotations

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ce1194512322f2d9b1a85e11f6602c14

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

well no. limited amount of 'unique' quotes/lyrics

if it's a random word list then each word is functionally a character when bruteforcing (given a public list)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Well, now that you've posted this from glancing at wikiquote's maybe 100 quotes on its voltaire page its more like 6 bits. I guess I'll be nice and give you the french too increasing that to 7 bits.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, now that you've posted this from glancing at wikiquote's maybe 100 quotes on its voltaire page its more like 6 bits. I guess I'll be nice and give you the french too increasing that to 7 bits.

I wouldn't actually use that any more than CHBS.

But it's not like Voltaire quotes are the only ones you can use as passwords. Goodreads currently has hundreds of thousands of quotes on its site. How many bits is that?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

well no. limited amount of 'unique' quotes/lyrics

if it's a random word list then each word is functionally a character when bruteforcing (given a public list)

Technically limited, perhaps, but functionally infinite. Using a Voltaire quote would kind of be like using "password." I'm just pointing out that by using quotes in general, you can create something more easily memorable since we remember quotes all the time, and it often ends up being higher entropy.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

we just went over how 'higher entropy' ignores that you're changing the construction of your password inherently

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Goodreads currently has hundreds of thousands of quotes on its site. How many bits is that?
Less then 20. An equivalent of 3 character password.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Forgall posted:

Less then 20. An equivalent of 3 character password.

Okay, just curious.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I wouldn't actually use that any more than CHBS.

But it's not like Voltaire quotes are the only ones you can use as passwords. Goodreads currently has hundreds of thousands of quotes on its site. How many bits is that?

Technically limited, perhaps, but functionally infinite. Using a Voltaire quote would kind of be like using "password." I'm just pointing out that by using quotes in general, you can create something more easily memorable since we remember quotes all the time, and it often ends up being higher entropy.

People had your exact idea for "brainwallet" in bitcoins but pretty much the bots win no matter how obscure. People post about obscure poetry in local non-English dialects being used. Of course, bitcoin's not exactly always secure to begin with.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trabisnikof posted:

People had your exact idea for "brainwallet" in bitcoins but pretty much the bots win no matter how obscure. People post about obscure poetry in local non-English dialects being used. Of course, bitcoin's not exactly always secure to begin with.

The flaws in it make sense. What about making up your own quotes? A sentence still seems more memorable than four random words, but if they're not assembled in any dictionary already then they're not any more vulnerable to a brute force attack, correct?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

welcome to passphrases, for when you can't use a password manager

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

e: nm

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

welcome to passphrases, for when you can't use a password manager

The real fun is figuring out which websites are silently truncating your pass phrase and what the real length is.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
If they're storing your password correctly using something like Bcrypt, it could be truncated at 55 characters. :yayclod:

It's a bit more complicated than that but yeah

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
Measuring a password is simple: with every piece you add, consider how unlikely adding that piece was, and be pessimistic. Once you start a famous quote, continuing it is very likely, so it's almost useless to password strength. If you make up your own quote, common words are not very useful, and related words are not very useful.

Your best shot at a secure passphrase is to randomly select words from a list, and then add filler to make it easier to remember. A word list sidesteps the problem of humans being terrible at randomness and at estimating randomness.

Also, a random word is only about as useful as two random characters. The CHBS comic explains that it has 44 bits of entropy. It's not 107. You can't count it like characters, because they're not random characters.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dylan16807 posted:

Measuring a password is simple: with every piece you add, consider how unlikely adding that piece was, and be pessimistic. Once you start a famous quote, continuing it is very likely, so it's almost useless to password strength. If you make up your own quote, common words are not very useful, and related words are not very useful.

Your best shot at a secure passphrase is to randomly select words from a list, and then add filler to make it easier to remember. A word list sidesteps the problem of humans being terrible at randomness and at estimating randomness.

Also, a random word is only about as useful as two random characters. The CHBS comic explains that it has 44 bits of entropy. It's not 107. You can't count it like characters, because they're not random characters.

Using the most common 5000 words in the english language covers something like 97% of human speech. If you know it's a pass phrase somehow, you can reduce the possible entropy from 37^65 to 30000^4, going from 'will never be guessed' to 'I sure hope you didn't pick Correct horse battery staple'.

I want to ride my bike -> common sentence, easy to guess, bad passphase
Lexicon puckin horse linguist -> Doesn't follow english rules, less structured and therefore better entropy, uses words that are uncommon or unique

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Using the most common 5000 words in the english language covers something like 97% of human speech. If you know it's a pass phrase somehow, you can reduce the possible entropy from 37^65 to 30000^4, going from 'will never be guessed' to 'I sure hope you didn't pick Correct horse battery staple'.

Lexicon puckin horse linguist -> Doesn't follow english rules, less structured and therefore better entropy, uses words that are uncommon or unique

Adding a punctuation sign(s), capitalizing a few letters and misspelling some words would further improve on this, wouldn't it?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

reduce the possible entropy from 37^65 to 30000^4, going from 'will never be guessed' to 'I sure hope you didn't pick Correct horse battery staple'.
I could equally argue that words are better than letters and numbers because you go from 37^4 to 30000^4.

The right answer is that random letters vs. random words is entirely up to taste. It doesn't matter unless you're hitting a length limit.

As an arbitrary example, let's say you want 180 bits of entropy. You can choose between the following:

38 random lowercase letters
27 random letters+numbers+symbols
16 random common words
12 random uncommon words
<16 random words with junk, depends on junk

Whatever is easiest to memorize.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Or you could just use a password manager.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That second one pretty much does follow English rules, assuming "puckin" is being used as a verb. I don't know exactly what a lexicon-pucking horse linguist is, but as a phrase it sounds fine

Point is there are patterns to English phrasing, combining nouns and modifiers with particular positioning, and there's statistical data on which words are used and how often it's as a verb, or a noun, etc. "Random" phrases aren't as random as people think, and a password cracker doesn't care if they make sense or not

I don't know how much this affects the entropy, but you'd probably at least want machines generating random phrases (maybe with a made-up word or two) instead of letting people put words together, subconsciously following the rules of language that shape their expression and thinking. Same goes for letting them reject random passphrases until they get one they 'like'

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

baka kaba posted:

That second one pretty much does follow English rules, assuming "puckin" is being used as a verb. I don't know exactly what a lexicon-pucking horse linguist is, but as a phrase it sounds fine

Point is there are patterns to English phrasing, combining nouns and modifiers with particular positioning, and there's statistical data on which words are used and how often it's as a verb, or a noun, etc. "Random" phrases aren't as random as people think, and a password cracker doesn't care if they make sense or not

I don't know how much this affects the entropy, but you'd probably at least want machines generating random phrases (maybe with a made-up word or two) instead of letting people put words together, subconsciously following the rules of language that shape their expression and thinking. Same goes for letting them reject random passphrases until they get one they 'like'

Puckin - n - an orange gourd worth murdering children over.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OSI bean dip posted:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry, I only store my hashed password database on an encrypted flash drive stuffed in my rectum that requires a specific sequence of hot peppers at random Scoville values to dislodge.

[Edit: Sorry, I'm not actually sure if this is a serious thread or not at this point.]

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Internet Explorer posted:

Sorry, I only store my hashed password database on an encrypted flash drive stuffed in my rectum that requires a specific sequence of hot peppers at random Scoville values to dislodge.

[Edit: Sorry, I'm not actually sure if this is a serious thread or not at this point.]

Infosec is a joke.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

OSI bean dip posted:

There are still passwords you can't store in the manager: the password for the manager itself, the password for your work account if any, and the passwords for your computer accounts.

What you could do is generate a password using the diceware list, then write down a hint for it on a piece of paper and keep it in your wallet. Once you're satisfied you memorized it, destroy the hint by burning it, disintegrating it in water, eating it, whatever you want.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

KeepAss, literally.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

https://youtu.be/kDPARWIaOdw

People have already done the research for what you are talking about. The research discussed in this talk is a good jumping off point if you're interested in the "why not use a quote for a passphrase?" and "why not just use a user-provided passphrase?" questions.

If your threat model involves someone with resources messing with you specifically, assume that they'll look at the things you like and the things you write to find things to make dictlists.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

cheese-cube posted:

KeepAss, literally.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
How dangerous would something like PoisonTap be, if inserted into an office computer in a corporate building?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aatp5gCskvk

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Depends on whether the endpoints are locked down via Group Policy to only accept specific devices...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

cheese-cube posted:

Depends on whether the endpoints are locked down via Group Policy to only accept specific devices...

Which is basically never.

That poo poo is interesting and I plan on using it to scare customers into locking down USB.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

apropos man posted:

How dangerous would something like PoisonTap be, if inserted into an office computer in a corporate building?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aatp5gCskvk

If you have some form of USB port protection in place, it's not dangerous at all. If you don't, well....

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

psydude posted:

Which is basically never.

Where I work it certainly is, across the entire fleet, and I'm not even in a particularly high-sec industry (Well...yeah). It's very easy to implement and surprisingly unobtrusive unless you've got some real garbo devices.

Of course that won't block things like the Rubber Ducky but if you're worried about that then you've already epoxied the USB ports on all endpoints. In fact if you're worried about about PoisonTap which requires direct access then you'd be jamming two-part in all visible holes...

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 21, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

jamming two-part in all visible holes

:wink:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

First one, then the other.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you have some form of USB port protection in place, it's not dangerous at all. If you don't, well....

Does the windows built in USB protection prevent DMA type exploits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Does the windows built in USB protection prevent DMA type exploits?

Good question, I've never used it. I've used Bit9 and Check Point mainly.