Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Tried to pull away with the hose and it went all T-1000 on me.

Tried to pull up more and the hose got launched into space and continued to deform in the most horrifying ways. At one point it appeared to stretch all the way across the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

JB50 posted:

Tried to pull away with the hose and it went all T-1000 on me.

Tried to pull up more and the hose got launched into space and continued to deform in the most horrifying ways. At one point it appeared to stretch all the way across the sky.

That's caused by the red mushrooms with white dots.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
So is it a known bug for certain parts to become impossible to detach? I've got the timing cover on and can't get it off again. I know less than nothing about cars, but I've got a suspicion that the timing belt is supposed to be under the cover rather than sitting on a shelf. I might have to restart, which sucks because I feel like I was finally getting somewhere.

Also, thanks to whoever posted the Datsun service manual. Using it is a nice compromise between tearing my hair out in frustration and just following a guide.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Electrical Fire posted:

So is it a known bug for certain parts to become impossible to detach? I've got the timing cover on and can't get it off again. I know less than nothing about cars, but I've got a suspicion that the timing belt is supposed to be under the cover rather than sitting on a shelf. I might have to restart, which sucks because I feel like I was finally getting somewhere.

Also, thanks to whoever posted the Datsun service manual. Using it is a nice compromise between tearing my hair out in frustration and just following a guide.

Very simple question, you know right-click is to detach stuff, right? I kinda missed that for a while. I thought just unscrewing everything would make it come off :P

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

CharlesM posted:

Very simple question, you know right-click is to detach stuff, right? I kinda missed that for a while. I thought just unscrewing everything would make it come off :P

Haha yeah I guess I should have mentioned that I've tried that a hundred times. Other parts come off fine with right-clicking, just not this one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Electrical Fire posted:

Haha yeah I guess I should have mentioned that I've tried that a hundred times. Other parts come off fine with right-clicking, just not this one.

Be sure the water pump, crankshaft pulley & waterpump pulley are removed first. I would think those might prevent you from removing it. If that doesn't work I'll start a new game and see for myself.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

CharlesM posted:

Be sure the water pump, crankshaft pulley & waterpump pulley are removed first. I would think those might prevent you from removing it. If that doesn't work I'll start a new game and see for myself.

It's literally just the block, timing cover, and engine plate, which also won't come off.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Electrical Fire posted:

It's literally just the block, timing cover, and engine plate, which also won't come off.

Try hitting it with the sledgehammer

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
:laffo: I just tried putting the water pump on and the timing cover fell off. That problem solved itself, time for a few beers and see if I can find my lost axe.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

there's like 6 bolts on the t cover, plus one on the left from facing it where the halfshafts connect. that's a bolt I usually miss

also the Boogaloo guide is really all you need to fully assemble and tune the car, but that datsun fsm kind of made we want one. then I remember it's FWD and close craigslist

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

HATECUBE posted:

then I remember it's FWD and close craigslist

You say that like it's a bad thing. There's a reason most road cars are FWD. The Datsun would be basically impossible to drive in-game if it was RWD, look at the muscle car.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I like the life this game portrays, its a nice, simple life, little stress, beautiful nature, a nice hobby to work on, just... relaxation, so lovely.

I'm so enamored and nostalgic I'm gonna buy a jauhelihapizza and some makkarat after work.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm just gonna throw shade on the last post by saying GOD loving DAMMIT. The car was built, it was running great, all the bolts were tightened, and I was carefully driving back from the store with brake fluid as that's all I was missing and I slipped, hit the enbankment, the van jumped in the ditch and I hit a tree. Instant (perma)death.

I somewhat cheated a while ago by copying my save but I still lost 2-3 hours of work :(

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

His Divine Shadow posted:

I like the life this game portrays, its a nice, simple life, little stress, beautiful nature, a nice hobby to work on, just... relaxation, so lovely.

I'm so enamored and nostalgic I'm gonna buy a jauhelihapizza and some makkarat after work.

Jauhelihavarakumit maistuu silti samalta kuin ennen, eli siis kaamealta.

(Minced spare tire meat taste still the same like before, lived so horrifying.)

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

Colonel J posted:

I'm just gonna throw shade on the last post by saying GOD loving DAMMIT. The car was built, it was running great, all the bolts were tightened, and I was carefully driving back from the store with brake fluid as that's all I was missing and I slipped, hit the enbankment, the van jumped in the ditch and I hit a tree. Instant (perma)death.

I somewhat cheated a while ago by copying my save but I still lost 2-3 hours of work :(

Oh the van is a death trap. I would only drive it to town if you're going to follow the lake shore. The very moment it touches some sort of road surface you are probably going to die.

I may be over exaggerating the terrible death wish of the van, but it is directly to blame for more of my restarts than any other vehicle. I would rather drive a Reliant Robin.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
The trick I discovered to driving the van is to get drunk out of game. For some reason I managed to get to the store, buy things, and head home without dying, whereas when I was sober I had a tendency to get the van stuck on its side against a tree and thus I couldn't roll it over. (Walked back to the house the first time that happened, was at max thirst, max fatigue, and I ate a sausage and died of a heart attack.)

Problem I have now is that I may have overdone it a bit because my engine is halfway together and my suspension is built, but I don't fully remember building most of it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's only a few blind turns that were obviously designed to kill you in the van or car before you've memorized the road layout. If you can avoid those gotchas you can take just about any corner at 60+kph and if you're worried 40kph is exceedingly safe both for cornering and in case a wheel drops off the roadbed.

I may have spent an afternoon repeatedly driving to the store as fast as I could and dying somewhere in between in pursuit of the perfect day one.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I can no longer contain myself. I picked this up.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Driving is easy once you figure out to never turn right at the end of the driveway.

That way only contains despair, and those god drat huge dropoffs on the sides of the road.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
Turning left at the end of the driveway and going via Loppe to get to the store is also great exercise for later.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

hatesfreedom posted:

Oh the van is a death trap. I would only drive it to town if you're going to follow the lake shore. The very moment it touches some sort of road surface you are probably going to die.

I may be over exaggerating the terrible death wish of the van, but it is directly to blame for more of my restarts than any other vehicle. I would rather drive a Reliant Robin.

Basically always take the lake shore to the store. Even if you've gotten good at navigating the roads, there's always the chance that some enemy driver is going to head-on ram you off the road into a ditch. I'll take my chances with the trees.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I'm having a problem. I'm filling my fluids and got to coolant. I have the cap off, I put the coolant bottle upside down over the radiator, and the bar appears for a second, doesn't fill, and then disappears.

What am I doing wrong?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

jadebullet posted:

I'm having a problem. I'm filling my fluids and got to coolant. I have the cap off, I put the coolant bottle upside down over the radiator, and the bar appears for a second, doesn't fill, and then disappears.

What am I doing wrong?

Putting fluids in is kind of bugged. You have to get it just right and you will see the bar start to fill up. Make sure you dont move once you see this happen. It takes a bit of finesse and the developer is aware of the situation, it used to be even harder to do until the last patch.

Make sure the jug isnt empty as well. It will say empty coolant when you go to pick it up.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

it's finicky. rotate away from the car and rotate back and hope the bar stays. this is how every fluid works right now including the pumps

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
New problem, is there a way to buy a new piston? I was testing the engine and was revving it a little to hard it seems as there was a loud bang, and now there is a destroyed piston on the ground as well as a crank bearing.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

jadebullet posted:

New problem, is there a way to buy a new piston? I was testing the engine and was revving it a little to hard it seems as there was a loud bang, and now there is a destroyed piston on the ground as well as a crank bearing.

Probably have to tow it to the mechanic and pay him to fix it.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I'm wanting to run the rally, and I know the roll bars and harness aren't in yet, and I've got rally tires, but it's saying my car isn't inspected. But I did get it inspected and have plates and all that. I tried going back to the inspection place but I can't get it inspected again. Is there something I'm missing?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are the plates installed? You should just have to click the signature thing.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Are the plates installed? You should just have to click the signature thing.

EDIT: Ignore me, I'm loving dumb, I *thought* I had rally tires, but I don't. One of the few loving English words in the catalog and I missed it.

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 17, 2016

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
My first phonecall was for firewood delivery, so I loaded a flatbed then saved out not knowing I'd lose the job. Three in-game weeks later and I haven't had one call and the flatbed is just sitting there. Can I try delivering it anyways or do I just have to pour it out and start over?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You didn't lose the job, you lost the dart. The job is still there. Drive to the guy's house and deliver the firewood. All of the jobs are time based. Even without a call, after the time passes, you can drive out to the people's houses and do the job.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Wood guy is only ever in that one spot.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I hauled it out there, parked it on the gravel, lowered the hatch, tilted the flatbed and nothing happened. When I walked over to the guy and punched him the entire heap of firewood appeared on the ground beneath the trailer instantly :shepface:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

tomanton posted:

I hauled it out there, parked it on the gravel, lowered the hatch, tilted the flatbed and nothing happened. When I walked over to the guy and punched him the entire heap of firewood appeared on the ground beneath the trailer instantly :shepface:

You may have punched him a few seconds too early.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
I finally got it running last night. It looks like most of my issues were related to valve timings being turned down too low, same with carb.

Two things.

How fast am I supposed to be revving? Less than a second on the throttle in neutral and I'm at redline.

I was noodling with the carb, and now the fan belt eventually stops spinning, and she overheats bad. What did I do? I tried to turn the idle screw back down, the rad is mounted, as are the hoses, and the loop is filled with coolant...

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Sounds like you need to check the position of your alternator. The belt is probably too tight/loose. I think about 3 notches from as tight as possible worked for me. I know if I have it any looser it squeals very obviously.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Tinking noise, fluid spraying up, and a piston shot out. Timing issue?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The ticking noise is because the valves are at the wrong height. Get the screwdriver and scroll down on each screw about 20 times and then up 7 times. Then the valves should be at the correct height. Fluid spraying up is usually from the exhaust not being installed. If a piston shot out, you might have over revved it or something wasn't bolted up right.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

The ticking noise is because the valves are at the wrong height. Get the screwdriver and scroll down on each screw about 20 times and then up 7 times. Then the valves should be at the correct height. Fluid spraying up is usually from the exhaust not being installed. If a piston shot out, you might have over revved it or something wasn't bolted up right.

I did scroll them down but I'll redo it. I think I went 14 instead of 7 so that's it.

It is fluid because A) The exhaust IS installed properly and B) It's not the gray smoke sprite, it's some lighter gray/white splash lookin' sprite. Maybe actual Sprite like a product placement thing.

Possibly, I'm keyboard driving so it's all or nothing. Any suggestions aside from 'use your controller?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I can't say this game has been a super effective advertisement for the Datsun, personally. I'm not sure I want a car that explodes into pieces when you bump it against a tree.

• Locked thread