Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Sirin seems like she's from a different draft of the setting. By all accounts she had her power from the moment of birth, which is not really a span of time conducive to reality-altering legend. The degree to which her power was expanded by folk tales seems like an academic distinction.

Besides, the whole notion of archons being made and not born is an interesting idea until it starts to jut into roleplaying. Unless people are back onboard with Levine-style ludonarrative trickery, which I'm all for. I love that stuff. But grogs, as a general rule, do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Killing people with magic ACCIDENTALLY. :colbert:

Amazing how much more often accidents tend to happen around people I want to murder.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'm loving the look of this game, and really like the sound of the Atrophy school of magic. I'm wanting to do a heavily armored, two handed hammer wielding warmage that uses Atrophy debuffs and hammer blows to punish the guilty. Would that be viable?

Lying is punishable by death. Disloyalty will be punished accordingly. Mercy is only for the innocent.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Talmonis posted:

I'm loving the look of this game, and really like the sound of the Atrophy school of magic. I'm wanting to do a heavily armored, two handed hammer wielding warmage that uses Atrophy debuffs and hammer blows to punish the guilty. Would that be viable?

Lying is punishable by death. Disloyalty will be punished accordingly. Mercy is only for the innocent.

Atrophy sadly kinda sucks until later in the game. Go with two-handed-hammer/vigor or frost and be sure to cast your spells whenever they're off cooldown- by the time you pick up the Atrophy sigil you'll have the tools to do nasty stuff with it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Talmonis posted:

Atrophy seems super weak, especially early on. It just provides a small, inconsequential decrease to one opponent's stats every fight. Better off hitting someone with your massive hammer.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

Maybe it's explained later...but why is Kyros "evil?" If anything this game just seems like i'm working for the Roman Empire. He's a conquering force but aside from that doesn't seem "Evil" in any traditional sense of the word. Am I missing something?
He appears to hire a lot of jerkoffs for a good or even pragmatic guy.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

jBrereton posted:

He appears to hire a lot of jerkoffs for a good or even pragmatic guy.

He has his methods - I think that's a convo topic in Tunons court with someone.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dolash posted:

I don't know about every route, but at least on the rebel route, it is absolutely presented as a meaningful choice - you choose which potential group of rebels to recruit to your cause and are warned at each decision that things might change on the ground at any time so who knows if you'll still be able to recruit someone else later. Missing out on one of the areas/recruits gives some weight to that decision and leaves something to be seen next time, the same way that visiting somewhere else in the conquest or choosing a different faction to side with does - I missed out on the Stone Sea last time, so my next playthrough will go to Azure in the Conquest then do whatever's there in the main campaign.

Man you'd think the fact that the game is named Tyranny and the tagline is "evil wins" would be enough of a hint. It'd undermine the central conceit of the game if Kyros was anything less than capital-E Evil.

The game's just kinda short, and it seems like actually being able to go to all the locations would help, even if it was only because you made the exact right decision to allow it to be possible. Or maybe you can get everywhere but not end all the edicts unless you do it just right? Maybe whichever group you get to last turns out to be decimated and you end up only able to recruit like the characters who give sidequests and the lead guy. The method of gating does feel artificial to me.

Gorelab posted:

Is there any way to break the Edict of Storms as a rebel Without killing the child and the mother? It feels silly that the Unbroken guy won't let you spend a little while figuring out how to let them live

You can also find the solution written down in the Burning Library.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey, what's the general opinion on the game now that it's been out for a bit?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Vegetable posted:

The Oldwalls parts are boring as heck. Reminds me of Dragon Age: Origins's Chantry tower, except that one had some charm. These Oldwalls sections are just excuses to pad the gametime while doing as little writing as possible.

Buschmaki posted:

I think you mean they remind you of the Deep Roads.

It's funny, because the bit under the Spire in the Blade Grave was probably the most fun I've had with a classic-dungeon-style-dungeon in a long time. Open plan enough to give you choices when exploring, twisty enough to make it feel like exploring, puzzles that want you to examine and interact with the environment (alright, not particularly complex ones, but show me the rpg with actually-good puzzles)- it was great. Bit small, and the encounters were dull even by this game's standards, but other than that, great.

If PoE2 is just dungeons like that + PoE combat + 6 man party I'll be as happy as a pig in poo poo.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

StashAugustine posted:

It's good, play it. Be generous about playing with the difficulty settings to find a length of combat that's fun for you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

StashAugustine posted:

It has one of the best opening acts of any RPGs I've ever played. You're thrown right into the poo poo, forced to untangle mysteries, lore is thrown at you at a mile a minute, your choices feel like they have impact, and at the end you are forced to make the most important choice in the entire game.

The second act is the meat of the game, is more "traditional" in terms of being a CRPG with a number of dungeon crawls and lots of fighting, you meet the rest of your party, but it also feels thinner to me: there aren't as many great set pieces as there are in Act 1, and though you can make choices they are only of marginal impact at this point. There are a few areas that definitely could have used some more fleshing out. Looking at you, Bastard City.

The consensus of the last act is that it feels rushed and pretty sequel hooky, and desperately is in need of a big closing set piece that it didn't really get.

It's worth playing just for how good the first act is and how good some of the character and lore writing is in general.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Sirin seems like she's from a different draft of the setting. By all accounts she had her power from the moment of birth, which is not really a span of time conducive to reality-altering legend. The degree to which her power was expanded by folk tales seems like an academic distinction.

Besides, the whole notion of archons being made and not born is an interesting idea until it starts to jut into roleplaying. Unless people are back onboard with Levine-style ludonarrative trickery, which I'm all for. I love that stuff. But grogs, as a general rule, do not.

The setting itself is pretty mushy with the Archon title, because people are like that. The founder of Eb's school is called an Archon but she just picked the title herself and people rolled with it - she never served Kyros. There was apparently an Archon of the swamps who was just a hermit with plant powers. Cairn was some kinda lonely mountain hermit before Graven conscripted him somehow. I mean, the Earthshakers treat him more like an object of study than a teacher of stone magic, according to the encyclopedia.

For all we know, a lot of these obscure Archons you can see mention of are literally just, uh, D&D style Sorcerers (innate magic) that wizards somehow manage to derive learnable techniques from.

Sirin's power from birth is left completely unexplained in the game, but her title of Archon was given/forced on her by Kyros. I guess we know too little about Archons to say what the rules are except that belief can change the nature of a (wo)man. Graven Ashe used to be just a guy who was really good at commanding. His legend grew until his Aegis developed.

If public perception can really change you over a long time, this makes Tunon and Nerat kinda sad. Tunon is so one-dimensional, Sirin says there's literally nothing behind the mask. He just IS Law, completely hollow as a person. The Voices probably started out as a regular spymaster rear end in a top hat until enough people started talking about how he literally steals your mind. It's probably a function of Sirin's young age and the fact that Kyros needed her out of the way and out of the public eye that leads to her still being just a person with a crazy power. Perhaps that is part of the reason she immediately bows out of the Kyros-mandated Archon free for all in Act 3 - being famous as an Archon means your image will change you - and Kyros' empire controls many information flows. I'm sure Kyros didn't feel any need to discourage people fearing the Voices as some sort of mindstealer.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 15, 2016

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
So your weapon's Recovery stat only applies to times that you attack with the weapon or use offensive abilities involving the weapon, right? When you cast a spell the spell's listed Recovery replaces whatever your weapon's got (or just adds to your armor's in the case of your being unarmed)?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
I love just how see-through the programming for convos can be sometimes, just had a dude congratulate me one after the other for like 4 artifacts I had gathered. ~~~so natural

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

So your weapon's Recovery stat only applies to times that you attack with the weapon or use offensive abilities involving the weapon, right? When you cast a spell the spell's listed Recovery replaces whatever your weapon's got (or just adds to your armor's in the case of your being unarmed)?

Correct, though any recovery added by your armor applies to both.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

If anybody can attest to the usefulness of more artifacts please do, but I haven't found a single artifact yet that I actually use because they are all kind of pitiful (like most loot) in special abilities or stats. Probably better off researching sigils or whatever if you are low in variety. (exception being higher difficulties some of the special traits may pay off more)

Is researching sigils a way to get Core and Expression sigils you missed? I missed the Sigil of Guarded Form in act 1 because I didn't let that one dude set up his shop and I'm wondering how else I can get it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

This is the state of the board from a single cleave onto fives dudes against seven full health dudes. Three people just instantly got pasted

The combat of the game is so trivially easy even on hard difficulty but I am going out of my way to break it on my knees. The spell system is so fun and it's an ultimate shame that the third act is basically nothing so you have so few encounters to play around with all the spell combinations. Atrophy is basically useless and I never learned stone. A protip for anyone who wants to maximize their Lore - pick the Library in Conquest and choose to delay the edict, and then hire the sage in your Infirmary because he's the only master level Lore trainer. I built the infirmary last but if I had known about this at the start I would've built it first.

This is from about 3 pages back but is there any way you can share this build (unless you already did and I missed it)? It's basically exactly what I wanted to build - a 2h cleaving magic warrior, but I think I failed and need to restart. I definitely don't have enough Lore.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 15, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Also using Sirin to end the Edict of Storm is by far the most cruel and awful thing you can do in this game.

Can I ask for some spoilers about this? I didn't see anything like this.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

Can I ask for some spoilers about this? I didn't see anything like this.

Let's also try to actually get some spoilers (tags) for the blatant spoiler.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
While we're talking about it, there's no way to not attack the Unbroken on the Anarch path, is there?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Favor isn't working right for me, I think.

When I reclaimed the mountain spire at the end of Act I, I got a pile of favor with the Dishonored, and it was announced that a new ability had unlocked. When I look at my favor with them, though, it's back to zero. I thought it might be some inter-act reset, but the Wrath side is still where it should be, as are other factions. The linked person's Favor is also zero.

Is this a bug, or am I misunderstanding something?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

While we're talking about it, there's no way to not attack the Unbroken on the Anarch path, is there?
Nope, that's the choice that literally loops until you give in and choose to attack.

It's so strange, if it was the other guy forcing combat it would have been far less jarring, even if his bros calling you out as a butcher would have still come off as ridiculous. The only explanation that makes sense is that the options to resolve it peacefully exist but are cut from the independent path because ____. Gotta get those replays in I guess.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So Act 2 question.

I need to enter Lethian's crossing, siding with the Disfavoured. However, it seems my only option is to attack them? Assume that I want to see as much as possible on this playthrough, resolve the edicts I can, et cetera et cetera. Am I forced to attack the Bronze Brotherhood, and if so, does that cut me off any big future quests?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The intimidation/athletics checks are great.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I suppose on any path other than the rebel path, the rebels are going to see you as a servant of Kyros - why wouldn't you see them as an enemy, and why would they let you go? If you wanted to work with them you'd need to have built some connections and reputation with the Tiersmen as something other than a member of the conquering army that's been marching around for the last few years.

From all the mixed reports I'm getting the sense that the independent path didn't have a super clear idea behind it, since I can't tell if it's supposed to represent a loyal servant of Kyros who blew off both armies for being incompetent (and the rebels for being rebels) or an actual rogue agent trying to break free of Kyros's control. Hell it doesn't even make a lot of sense to betray one of the armies you side with when you broke the edict - if you hadn't suddenly teleported to the top of the spire and been made King poo poo, what were you planning on doing? Fighting a whole army for control of an abandoned throne room?

The game takes after New Vegas to a surprising degree, so I think they felt obligated to give you the option to go it alone, just like they try to give you a broad range of options and motivations (and lots of chances to back out) for every other path. They did a good job for as tall an order as that is, but it's basically inevitable that a few things are going to be clunky when they're trying to make everything super-modular. Maybe they should've gone further in Act 1 to nail down what your motivation is and what joining each faction will mean, then writing each path from that point on assuming at least some particular motivation.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

The intimidation/athletics checks are great.

My character might well be a diplomat, but he takes poo poo from exactly nobody. I take Athletics dialog checks whenever I get a chance.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

gently caress this i'm murdering the scarlet chorus gang in the blade graves

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Golden Goat posted:

gently caress this i'm murdering the scarlet chorus

A good decision

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Murder everyone because the disfavored are stupid as hell too.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Murder everyone because the disfavored are stupid as hell too.

I literally cannot handle siding with Law or Chaos cause they're always both insufferable.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Mega Ten/Tyranny crossover when?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Shin Megami Tyranny: Kyros's Call

Featuring Donte from the DmC series

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
still like 20 pages back because I didn't want spoilers, but for all the people talking about Barik being a bad tank because of his armour, you know you can upgrade it all to masterwork, right? he basically ends up a tiny walking pillar.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Dolash posted:

From all the mixed reports I'm getting the sense that the independent path didn't have a super clear idea behind it, since I can't tell if it's supposed to represent a loyal servant of Kyros who blew off both armies for being incompetent (and the rebels for being rebels) or an actual rogue agent trying to break free of Kyros's control. Hell it doesn't even make a lot of sense to betray one of the armies you side with when you broke the edict - if you hadn't suddenly teleported to the top of the spire and been made King poo poo, what were you planning on doing? Fighting a whole army for control of an abandoned throne room?

what exactly did you think being King poo poo entailed? Because this is exactly what you signed up for.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Barik is a real good tank.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

King Doom posted:

still like 20 pages back because I didn't want spoilers, but for all the people talking about Barik being a bad tank because of his armour, you know you can upgrade it all to masterwork, right? he basically ends up a tiny walking pillar.

First tell me how to get all the iron to do that before the end of the game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You don't claim dominion over gently caress Mountain by "sharing a throne room"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

First tell me how to get all the iron to do that before the end of the game.

Hire a smith that produces iron on a regular basis.

• Locked thread