Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Brand New Malaysian Wife posted:

Scooter Cafe near Waterloo is cute and laid back. Also has cats!

Sold! Thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Anae posted:

It got an absolute rinsing in the Independent a couple of years ago. Should I pay that no heed?

I grew up in that neighborhood and we used to eat there all the time. Was back in London last year and the food was as good as ever. Will have to check out the Indy review though.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Bollock Monkey posted:

Ideas for an affordable (cheaper than, say, Rotorino or Bocca) but special-feeling Mediterranean place? Anniversary time is coming up but it's been an expensive year so we can't justify a splurge. Preferably North/Central/slightly East. Bonus points for affordable cocktails.

e: I say Mediterranean as a deliberately broad category as we usually end up doing some sort of Asian cuisine and fancy something else. Probably not Turkish though as we're in Harringay so have that a lot as well.

It's not in your preferred areas but Gola in Fulham is still my favourite restaurant in the whole city. Proper, PROPER italian food, feels nice, great family business, chef can do the kind of thing where you say 'I just fancy some sort of seafood pasta?' and he'll whip you up something on the spur of the moment. Went there with my ex and she requested the above and got presented with a whole flipping langoustine on a basket of spaghetti and the chef came and sat at our table and chatted for a bit.

Bear in mine I've not been for a year and a half or so but it was so, so good every time I've been.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Anae posted:

It got an absolute rinsing in the Independent a couple of years ago. Should I pay that no heed?

It got an absolutely blinding review from Jay Rayner a few years ago as well. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2008/jul/04/jayraynerreviewslemonia which gels with the last time I ate there, two years back.

From personal experience it's fantastic, though I'd go and have a peek to see what you think before booking, as it can have a lot of families there, which might put you off, depending.

edit: Read the independent review, it's terribly written, and no idea how they ended up with a bill that big, you just order the mixed mezze for however many people you have and loads of wine, then die from too much food.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 7, 2016

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Spuckuk posted:

edit: Read the independent review, it's terribly written, and no idea how they ended up with a bill that big, you just order the mixed mezze for however many people you have and loads of wine, then die from too much food.
That's exactly how it works and it's great.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Thanks for the suggestions, I've often heard good things about Lemonia and it would facilitate a trip to Spiritual Caipirinha Bar afterwards...

Still on the lookout, though! Finchley Road is a bit awkward, and Fulham is a bit too far but I appreciate the suggestions anyway :)

If anyone's in the market for non-Lemonia Greek, I went with friends last month to Andy's Taverna in Camden and everyone had delicious food there. Super friendly service, too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm flying to London tomorrow!

This really isn't specifically a London question, but what are some must try foods in the U.K.? I already want to try the pasty, scouse, the Sunday roast, the fry up, haggis, and weird poo poo you can get in chippys like munchy boxes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Are munchie boxes available in London? I've only ever seen them in buzzfeed articles about 'crazy food in the UK' but it's usually from, like, Glasgow or more studenty midlands towns.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
It's cold enough that St. John's might be doing eccles cakes, which are very British, but not very London otherwise, so good chance to try if you're not travelling oop north. Have with a slice of sharp cheddar and some port/sherry for maximum experience.

You could try going to a pie and mash shop or somewhere with jellied eel. But only go to the one on Chapel Market etc. not the posho hipster ones in Islington.

Afternoon tea is also probably worth it, but again, pick venue carefully (not a patisserie valerie/cafe royale). The Rose Room at the Sofitel near Piccadilly is very good and not too pricey at about £30 a head.

Also go have a scotch egg, the deli down from Haggerston train station does really excellent ones and they have some good cakes and local beer/soft drinks, so worth stopping off at if you're in the area.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The_Doctor posted:

Are munchie boxes available in London? I've only ever seen them in buzzfeed articles about 'crazy food in the UK' but it's usually from, like, Glasgow or more studenty midlands towns.

Jesus, never even heard of them but I regret googling it at once. Wiki says it's very Scottish, but you'll have no problem finding the constituent parts in servings that don't amount to an act of manslaughter, But plenty of other weird chippy options have migrated down from Scotland, battered Mars bars are quite easy to come by. For chips with curry sauce you might consider a Chinese takeaway rather than a fish and chip shop.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My last holiday I went to Scotland and London, and London was the only place I ever saw battered candy bars advertised.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

My Lovely Horse posted:

My last holiday I went to Scotland and London, and London was the only place I ever saw battered candy bars advertised.

I somehow doubt that you saw battered "candy bars" advertised. :viggo: :britain:

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's because in Scotland they're a given.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

skooma512 posted:

I'm flying to London tomorrow!

This really isn't specifically a London question, but what are some must try foods in the U.K.? I already want to try the pasty, scouse, the Sunday roast, the fry up, haggis, and weird poo poo you can get in chippys like munchy boxes.

Sitting on a beach/pier (or a bus shelter if it's raining) eating fish and chips when it's that day's catch is always excellent.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I want to thank you guys for the Dishoom recommendation. Amazing eggs, and those may have been the best baked beans I've ever had (and I'm not a big fan of baked beans).

I even checked out Caravan for coffee, and the only disappointment there was that they were so busy. I was expecting a more coffeehouse setting. Still, good coffee.

I'll be back tomorrow evening and I may want some more recommendations. In the meantime, cheers.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Heading to London for a few days by my self next week, staying near kings cross any recommendations for inexpensive good places that point look at you cross eyed for dining alone :smithfrog:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Loads of gastropubs and various places in Clerkenwell which is just on your doorstep. You're also only about 30 mins walk from proper central where you have your choice of almost anything.

Edit: great curry places on Drummond Street just near Euston.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Rumda posted:

Heading to London for a few days by my self next week, staying near kings cross any recommendations for inexpensive good places that point look at you cross eyed for dining alone :smithfrog:

Asakusa isn't far and have somr bar seats where you c a n comfortably eat alone

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I'm finally in London for the next couple of days and I wanted to treat my Polish cousins to some fare that they're not used to (and some that I've always wanted to try but can't find in my white-bread Canadian town).

I was hoping to get a recommendation for some relatively inexpensive American barbecue, Korean (barbecue or otherwise), dim sum, etc. They've had Indian before, but they don't go to far off the beaten path near Watford.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
They're opening a Boxpark in Croydon today, a short walk from me but sadly am away until tomorrow afternoon. Very exciting though, with Breakfast Club, Meat Liquor and Breakfast club that I know of. Actually I'm not sure there's anything but restaurants and bars.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

I'm finally in London for the next couple of days and I wanted to treat my Polish cousins to some fare that they're not used to (and some that I've always wanted to try but can't find in my white-bread Canadian town).

I was hoping to get a recommendation for some relatively inexpensive American barbecue, Korean (barbecue or otherwise), dim sum, etc. They've had Indian before, but they don't go to far off the beaten path near Watford.

Just take them to Gojo to eat all the spicy Ethiopian meat.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've just moved jobs, and now I'm right next to Waterloo. I've discovered the utterly fantastic Lower Marsh Market. Friday I had chicken and waffles from a street stand for £6, and today I had spicy korean pork, rice, miso soup and veggies for £5 from tiny Korean restaurant Po Cha. It seems there's different food stalls there every day, so it's definitely going to be a regular haunt for me.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
My god why did my boss decide to move us to Gatwick. Why.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I've just moved jobs, and now I'm right next to Waterloo. I've discovered the utterly fantastic Lower Marsh Market. Friday I had chicken and waffles from a street stand for £6, and today I had spicy korean pork, rice, miso soup and veggies for £5 from tiny Korean restaurant Po Cha. It seems there's different food stalls there every day, so it's definitely going to be a regular haunt for me.

Also go to the Hop Locker on the other side of the station. Thank me later.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ineptmule posted:

My god why did my boss decide to move us to Gatwick. Why.

We went from Liverpool Street to 2 miles outside of Gerrards Cross. :suicide:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Kaiho posted:

Just take them to Gojo to eat all the spicy Ethiopian meat.

Jeez I wish. He keeps telling me his new wife isn't that adventurous and more traditionally Polish. Still, they enjoyed Five Guys a lot.

I think we're gonna go to Bodean's tonight. Right now, I'm sitting at the Department of Coffee and Social Affairs.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Walk up the road to Prufrock, easily the best speciality coffee place in London.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Well those plans fell through. I charged my phone at the closest Starbucks and am now at Ping Pong eating dim sum alone.

I love that they have a bar setup so that I can eat without needing a whole table.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Also go to the Hop Locker on the other side of the station. Thank me later.

This looks like just a bar..?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Lemon-Lime posted:

We went from Liverpool Street to 2 miles outside of Gerrards Cross. :suicide:

That's bad... but I think your proximity to the M25 means your are moderately closer to civilisation than us! Trading Westminster for Crawley really is... well its poo poo, there's no way to dress it up.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

This looks like just a bar..?

Yes but it has good beer. What's not to like?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Yes but it has good beer. What's not to like?

Ah right, I tend to go for food more at lunchtimes.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Seeing a show with partner and partner's parents this weekend at the Royal Albert Hall. I work in Bloomsbury and pretty much only go to that side of town for the NHM. Where does one take someone to impress them but not bankrupt them in that area?

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
Where did you end up going, Vlex? My answer to that is Ognisko, which is not too expensive and rather swanky.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Anae posted:

The pizza place? My gf is moving near there soon. Couldn't look more basic from my brief googling but I love a hidden gem like that so I'll give it a whirl

Yup! Basic as hell, but they do everything spot on, so really no need to try and be anything more than that.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

We went to Zakia and got the theatre menu. It was very good, but obviously not the real good stuff, so I want to go back.

Best chicken and waffles in London: go!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vlex posted:

We went to Zakia and got the theatre menu. It was very good, but obviously not the real good stuff, so I want to go back.

Jiminy Kricket that's sometimes in Lower Marsh. https://twitter.com/Jiminykricket16

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Vlex posted:

Haven't had the chicken and waffles, but I went to Chick N' Sours the other week and their chicken burger was amazing.

Expect similar from their chicken and waffles (if they do them?)

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

I'm going to London in early January with my boyfriend. He says we can go to one nice restaurant while we're there, with a budget of $100. What would you recommend if you could only eat at one place in Lindon? I'm really overwhelmed given the sheer number of choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hawksmoor.

I don't know, what are your tastes?