Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And yes, I realize I just made a 'If I'm scum' argument.

But your logic here is stupid Somber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
because it's obviously a smarter play to not be on a town lynch than on one?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Somberbrero posted:

because it's obviously a smarter play to not be on a town lynch than on one?

Again, that doesn't make any sense when I started the questioning of Ernie in the first place. I put a much bigger target on my back by going against the grain here.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
folks let's give it up for our old friend 'scum because bad,' they'll be here all game.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I mean town are on town lynches all the time and we all know that being wrong doesn't mean you're scum, especially in regards to a D1 lynch.

Instead, I'm sticking my neck out to say this feels like a bad lynch. It doesn't make sense as scum because if I'm right and Ernie is town, people are going to say "Well, maybe you're scum and you knew he was town" and if I'm wrong then people will say "Well, clearly you were defending a scum buddy".

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

I'm not unvoting.

You're not actually voting at all.

I do think Somber may be right about you and you're scum this game.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

TMMadman posted:

I don't get this whole thing by Ecco. 30 minutes after saying we have 90 minutes until the deadline, she is saying that we aren't moving fast enough and changes the deadline to tomorrow.

that is a literal description of what happened, yes.

I am doubtful that early-game short deadlines are good; normally my day 1s last a few RL days, no more than 5 but generally 3 to 4. But people clamor for tighter early-game deadlines! And so I made a mental note to check the votecount an hour before this ~2-day deadline, and if at least one player is greater than halfway to being executed I'd keep it.

But alas.

Remember nothing is stopping you all from voting for someone tonight to prove me wrong, the deadline extension is just to avoid punishment for failing to do so.

EccoRaven posted:

If it gets to be Tuesday evening and it looks like you guys can't handle the pressure I'll extend it to Thursday, but try for Tuesday if you can!

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 16, 2016

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
Feeling somewhat less like death now. Ernie is definitely acting extremely erratic but I think he actually was right about TM, albeit for the wrong reason

Tired Moritz posted:

I think Sombre's logic is that it seems like Asiina is trying to lightly push onto Ernie.

I mean, otherwise what is the point of that post anyway then? Ernie makes an obvious joke post, and for some reason, Asiina decides to deride them for it?

Tired Moritz posted:

rude??? can you explain why?

I'm trying to explain why I think Sombre thought Asiina's post is odd.

Tired Moritz posted:

##vote Ernie

I don't want a no-lynch and I feel like Ernie's being scummy with the way that they are posting. So dodgy and filled with padding.

We were just scum together in another game, and talked a fair amount about why TM always comes off as scummy. In that scumdoc, TM was always overthinking everything, down to the most minute details. Even what he considered to be a towny stance was obviously from a scum point of view.

His posting in this thread is already giving me the exact same vibes, with him trying to explain why each poster is posting the way they do. Not enough to call him scum, nor am I comfortable with a vote on him right now, but this is the exact same scum TM posting style.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

EccoRaven posted:

I am doubtful that early-game short deadlines are good; normally my day 1s last a few RL days, no more than 5 but generally 3 to 4. But people clamor for tighter early-game deadlines! And so I made a mental note to check the votecount an hour before this ~2-day deadline, and if at least one player is greater than halfway to being executed I'd keep it.

But alas.

Remember nothing is stopping you all from voting for someone tonight to prove me wrong, the deadline extension is just to avoid punishment for failing to do so.

Who wouldn't want to.prove Ecco wrong?!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

I am doubtful that early-game short deadlines are good; normally my day 1s last a few RL days, no more than 5 but generally 3 to 4. But people clamor for tighter early-game deadlines! And so I made a mental note to check the votecount an hour before the deadline, and if at least one player is greater than halfway to being executed I'd keep it.

But alas.

But that's the whole problem with it. Now nobody has the incentive to come in and make sure someone gets hammered today because there is no punishment/no lynch now.

All you've done is prolong the day to almost certainly get the exact same result tomorrow. People waiting until close to the deadline to actually complete the lynch.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

TMMadman posted:

But that's the whole problem with it. Now nobody has the incentive to come in and make sure someone gets hammered today because there is no punishment/no lynch now.
sounds like a player-problem and not a me-problem!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

sounds like a player-problem and not a me-problem!

It is a you problem because you changed the rules.

We could have had someone come in and see Ernie at -2 or -1 and throw down a lazy vote, but now that's not going to happen until tomorrow and by then things could be completely changed. It's frustrating as hell.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

this is a stickup posted:

Feeling somewhat less like death now. Ernie is definitely acting extremely erratic but I think he actually was right about TM, albeit for the wrong reason

We were just scum together in another game, and talked a fair amount about why TM always comes off as scummy. In that scumdoc, TM was always overthinking everything, down to the most minute details. Even what he considered to be a towny stance was obviously from a scum point of view.

His posting in this thread is already giving me the exact same vibes, with him trying to explain why each poster is posting the way they do. Not enough to call him scum, nor am I comfortable with a vote on him right now, but this is the exact same scum TM posting style.

imo i play like that all the time. I have a lot of free time to overthink. :(

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

TMMadman posted:

Man, I just feel like every single vote on Ernie is bad right now. The only possible exception is starting vote by Max.

I think at least one of the votes is from scum.

Also I kind of agree with this, and it (or one) is probably TM. He has a tendency to follow other scum on and off of votes, I commented that his voting/unvoting was incredibly scummy in last game's scumdoc as well

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TMMadman posted:

I mean town are on town lynches all the time and we all know that being wrong doesn't mean you're scum, especially in regards to a D1 lynch.

Instead, I'm sticking my neck out to say this feels like a bad lynch. It doesn't make sense as scum because if I'm right and Ernie is town, people are going to say "Well, maybe you're scum and you knew he was town" and if I'm wrong then people will say "Well, clearly you were defending a scum buddy".

yeah you're right, it doesn't make sense.

i mean that in a rude way, just to be clear.

a better question might be why you are fighting so hard for someone who has clearly dipped from the thread. i can see thinking ernie is town, i kind of think that too in my heart of hearts, but what possible reason is there to white knight the only viable lynch candidate with some obviously strange and not-town behavior at the eleventh hour?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

TMMadman posted:

nope I clearly said at the start of the day this is what would happen! sorry you didn't read it / forgot about it.

TMMadman posted:

We could have had someone come in and see Ernie at -2 or -1 and throw down a lazy vote, but now that's not going to happen until tomorrow and by then things could be completely changed. It's frustrating as hell.
sounds like a player-problem! vote better. also the deadline is Thursday, not Wednesday :eng101:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

To add to this, because you've changed the rules at the last minute it seems like Asiina has completely checked out until tomorrow.

I just feel that by changing the rules when you did, you've completely changed the feeling of this day.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Somberbrero posted:

yeah you're right, it doesn't make sense.

i mean that in a rude way, just to be clear.

a better question might be why you are fighting so hard for someone who has clearly dipped from the thread. i can see thinking ernie is town, i kind of think that too in my heart of hearts, but what possible reason is there to white knight the only viable lynch candidate with some obviously strange and not-town behavior at the eleventh hour?

Because that is how I play the game. Ernie was not the only viable lynch until just recently, so your argument is wrong.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

mm
unvote

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Tired Moritz posted:

imo i play like that all the time. I have a lot of free time to overthink. :(

yeah well you might be right, it's only day one and not exactly a case

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Fuckin

##unvote

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

nope I clearly said at the start of the day this is what would happen! sorry you didn't read it / forgot about it.

sounds like a player-problem! vote better. also the deadline is Thursday, not Wednesday :eng101:

Great, so we have 2 more days of nothing getting done. :rolleyes:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Hello, complain to ecco in private.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
also this is just the price of playing in ecco's games. i don't enjoy it but it's not exactly an unknown quality and ecco will be ecco, no amount of arguing will change that.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

TMMadman posted:

Great, so we have 2 more days of nothing getting done. :rolleyes:

I had RL stuff come up today that prevented me from participating, am glad Ecco granted it, and will put out some sick cases later tonight in order to prove to you it was a good thing.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

TMMadman posted:

To add to this, because you've changed the rules at the last minute it seems like Asiina has completely checked out until tomorrow.

I just feel that by changing the rules when you did, you've completely changed the feeling of this day.

And this is totally meta but I'll put it out since I think it - I believe that if TMM were scum he would have 100% been having this argument in the scumdoc, which makes me lean town there.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm done arguing about it. I've made my issues known and now it is what it is.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

your original point has no connection to alignment and the meta argument seems like fake justification after the fact.

##vote murmur twin

My original point was that he was either scum who wouldn't provide any tells or town who wouldn't help find scum, and so it made sense in my head to go after someone like that in the absence of a better case. The meta argument was absolutely me thinking "oh here's another reason chores is a good vote" after thinking about it more after the fact.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

got some chores tonight posted:

Feeling very confident on the second name on my list, almost as confident as the first name on my list: CCKeane.

Can you convince me that Keane is scum?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
~lurking is never ever indicative of alignment, although it is always anti-town, and our goal is to eliminate scumms~

there's my song about lurking i hope you like it

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I'm glad deadline was extended bc it probably would have ended in a nl. Ecco said they'd only extend it if no one was halfway to the lynch. I was at rehearsal, sorry.

I don't really like all the votes on Ernie. He doesn't seem particularly scummy to me. I'm more pinged by tmm and dick.

The original interaction between Ernie and TMM felt to me that Ernie was purposely making a bad case (as people do) and seeing who hops on it, and tmm completely attacked him for it. It* was just such a serious casing for early day 1 that I assumed it was made for that purpose. I could be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.

Ernie. posted:

I don't know. There are too many reasons to think max is town and too few to think he's scum.

That vote looks lazy in hindsight. If he's scum he knows it's a quick way to draw attention/disagreement right now. He's hopping his vote many times trying to stick it somewhere etc. It would all be very careless scum play.

Whereas on the scum side ... what? He reacted semi badly to a semi badly worded post?

Then he was talking about how he didn't want to vote Ernie, but when deadline was moved, he's only complained about how we could have lynched Ernie before tonight's deadline. He's just really all over the place and I don't like the smell of it.

##vote tmm

PS speaking of smells, I just washed my hands with Bath and Body Works "Coconut Pumpkin Latte" scented soap and I cannot stop sniffing my hands it's so delicious.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Murmur Twin posted:

And this is totally meta but I'll put it out since I think it - I believe that if TMM were scum he would have 100% been having this argument in the scumdoc, which makes me lean town there.

Not sure that this is the case, given that he was actively posting at the same time ecco posted the extension. No reason to not directly quote and reply, other than futility I guess

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Murmur Twin posted:

This is such a waffly post. If he flips town, you can say that you totally knew it, but if he flips scum, you can say it was just a meta read and didn't mean anything. Seems super easy to make this post as a bus of your scumbro.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

this is a stickup posted:

Not sure that this is the case, given that he was actively posting at the same time ecco posted the extension. No reason to not directly quote and reply, other than futility I guess

That's fair, I just find great enjoyment in trying to make meta calls on TMM in every game we play :j:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

You're not actually voting at all.

I do think Somber may be right about you and you're scum this game.

Yes, because I'm not unvoting. My vote is sacred and once made cannot be changed.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I'm glad deadline was extended bc it probably would have ended in a nl. Ecco said they'd only extend it if no one was halfway to the lynch. I was at rehearsal, sorry.

I don't really like all the votes on Ernie. He doesn't seem particularly scummy to me. I'm more pinged by tmm and dick.

The original interaction between Ernie and TMM felt to me that Ernie was purposely making a bad case (as people do) and seeing who hops on it, and tmm completely attacked him for it. It* was just such a serious casing for early day 1 that I assumed it was made for that purpose. I could be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.

Then he was talking about how he didn't want to vote Ernie, but when deadline was moved, he's only complained about how we could have lynched Ernie before tonight's deadline. He's just really all over the place and I don't like the smell of it.

##vote tmm

PS speaking of smells, I just washed my hands with Bath and Body Works "Coconut Pumpkin Latte" scented soap and I cannot stop sniffing my hands it's so delicious.

I was pointing out that scum could come in and see that Ernie was at -2 or -1 and drop a lazy vote on him to try to get him lynched.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I'm iffy on tmm, but pretty sure you're wrong about dick. This is wildly meta, but I've correctly pegged him as scum in 3 recent games during D1, and I'm just not seeing it here.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

Yes, because I'm not unvoting. My vote is sacred and once made cannot be changed.

No offense, but this is a garbage way to play. In my mind, it means you either won't put your vote down until the final moments of the day when you can just say "Well, we need to get a lynch done" or you will ignore other cases because you've already voted for someone.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

TMMadman posted:

I was pointing out that scum could come in and see that Ernie was at -2 or -1 and drop a lazy vote on him to try to get him lynched.

So then why were you complaining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Too many people are basing their cases on meta so far. I can understand like bringing it up bc you noticed something or other, but casing or voting someone entirely on meta is terrible.

• Locked thread