Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Speaking of Overwatch lore clashing with gameplay, I'll never not find it funny when the new Mortal Kombat ends up with "mother beheads own daughter and takes her head as a trophy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

If you don't immediately start playing that game as Bronze Age Judge Dredd then I don't even know what to tell you

i didn't before, but now i want to play Tyranny.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Finished a replay of Metro Last Light--lots of details in those games, but I particularly liked this one little graphical detail near the end of the game: when you finally reach the major underground city of Polis, you are tasked with bringing the Dark One child, the apparent last member of a surviving post-nuclear race, to the meeting of the Metro's political leaders to use its powers to reveal one of the leader's treachery. In order to sneak the child in, its uses its telepathic abilities to disguise itself as a human child wearing a raincoat. When I first saw this disguise, I thought there was some sort of graphical error going on because the edge of the rain coat extended and moved far past the kid's arms. While maybe just something that was overlooked in another game, the graphics of Metro had a lot of detail in them so it seemed a strange thing to miss. It took a moment, but then I realize it was on purpose: Dark One arms are longer than human arms. The weird movement of the disguise's arms are because that's where the Dark One child's actual arms end, several inches past a normal human's arms.

Link to see the disguise in motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKG64RFJWjM&t=63s

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

WickedHate posted:

I don't think it's too different from like, that one DC moba that came and went super fast, where Batman and the Joker could be fighting Superman or something. Overwatch is basically a mix up of Street Fighter, GI Joe, and a superhero universe.

Someone (I think on these forums, but I dont remember) suggested that Overwatch is in fact the futures version of WWE wrestling. It explains the characters over the top gimmicks and costumes, how they all come back from being killed in a match, and why they are all fighting each other/teaming up with storyline enemies without any particular rhyme or reason.

Personally I dont need my multiplayer games to have a coherent story (That way lies madness) but if you do, there you go.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SiKboy posted:

Personally I dont need my multiplayer games to have a coherent story (That way lies madness) but if you do, there you go.

I like the justification for a PVP mode in the otherwise much-too-serious Destiny: If your soldiers have been rendered immortal and reincarnate in seconds no matter how violently they were killed, all training exercises may as well be live-fire.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

I like the justification for a PVP mode in the otherwise much-too-serious Destiny: If your soldiers have been rendered immortal and reincarnate in seconds no matter how violently they were killed, all training exercises may as well be live-fire.

There's an info card about the Cabal, one of the alien races, about how fed up the grunts of the race are of being in what for them is Space Vietnam because they keep killing the same things over and over and they keep coming and killing them back. Space Nixon won't let them pull out though so they're stuck there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RBA Starblade posted:

There's an info card about the Cabal, one of the alien races, about how fed up the grunts of the race are of being in what for them is Space Vietnam because they keep killing the same things over and over and they keep coming and killing them back. Space Nixon won't let them pull out though so they're stuck there.

The cabal are straight up the best thing about Destiny and if not for the fact that the whole game's writing is way too serious I'd swear they were a deliberate parody of the whole space marine archetype.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I hope the canal get fleshed out more in destiny 2, I hoped the mission in the taken king where you find out they sent an SOS to their empire meant they would be the main feature of the last expansion which turned out to be rise of iron :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Biplane posted:

I hope the canal get fleshed out more in destiny 2, I hoped the mission in the taken king where you find out they sent an SOS to their empire meant they would be the main feature of the last expansion which turned out to be rise of iron :(

Yeah, the fallen already had an expansion dedicated to them and the hive dudes got two. I'm probably just going to flat out skip Destiny 2 though because they really dropped the ball recently.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Stellaris is a space 4X from Paradox, and it's still pretty young along with being their first foray into the genre, so it's maybe not quite up there with CK2 and EU4 yet.

However, there's one little touch I truly adore. When you start the game you're some podunk hicks on your lovely homeworld and haven't met aliens yet. As you start exploring you will do so, and you get a little popup event the first time to be like "Your cool cultural humans think this is awesome! Good job!" or "Your bugmans really hate anything not them so they're rioting." But there is a different event for every conceivable alien type you could meet. Meeting an equal, i.e. someone who began the game at more or less the same time as you has one, sure, but so do meeting a hyper-advanced remnant from a prior galactic cycle, finding primitives, finding alien animals, finding alien ruins, finding abandoned alien ships, finding pirates from other alien empires before you meet the empire itself, I don't think there's one that doesn't have its own little flavor text.

(Cabal are extremely my guys in Destiny, I want a lot more of them!)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Stellaris's writing is really good by any metric but especially for a 4X game with no real storyline where everyone's randomly generated

e: this is how they greeted me as soon as I opened the diplomacy screen

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 05:30 on Nov 16, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A strong alliance is in order :stare:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In Sorcery, you're given a spell book that holds 48 spells of wildly varying uses, from combat to diplomacy to intimidation to survival, which can be specific or can be broader as all hell. You're given a taste of things you might one day do with a Sun Jewel, Goblin's Tooth, or Black Facemask of Pure Fear

In the very first stretch of your adventure, you can discover a 49th and 50th spell. In the second book, I have discovered an additional two spells. These are not catalogued for you, you have to pick "wrong" symbols in building a spell. I have barely scratched the surface--there's probably at least a few more in just Book 2 of 4. Exploration and experimentation is WELL rewarded

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I'm not sure what the hell happened to Destiny between Taken King and Rise of Iron. Taken King was a whole expansion of PYF little things, and then Rise of Iron is... not.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Easy - The Taken King was a full on revamp while Rise of Iron is more like the Dark Below/House of Wolves.

I get the idea they wanted to have Destiny 2 out by now, but they had to delay for one reason or another. So to bridge the gap they threw out a lackluster expansion by the C-team.

Games-as-a-service, man.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

packetmantis posted:

I'm not sure what the hell happened to Destiny between Taken King and Rise of Iron. Taken King was a whole expansion of PYF little things, and then Rise of Iron is... not.

They realized part of their user based will spend stupid amounts of money on the cash shop, and that they don't actually have to give a poo poo about the rest of their userbase because they're not actively shelling out thousands of dollars on RNG boxes that have a like 1% chance of giving you a decorative item you can even use.

No poo poo there was a topic on their forums complaining about how batshit insane the rates on these things and the dust you got for them were, and staff members were like "This is fine, you get a free box every week." so people who actually did spend money crunched some numbers and came to the conclusion that to get a full set of cosmetic items for your stupid wolf armor, it took on average about 100 boxes. That's 100 weeks if you're not buying them. They didn't think anything was wrong with that.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

packetmantis posted:

It was an emergency expac the b-team threw together in a few months when they realized that Destiny 2 wouldn't be ready anytime soon

for what it is it's pretty ok but yeah I'm already kind of losing interest

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Nuebot posted:

They realized part of their user based will spend stupid amounts of money on the cash shop, and that they don't actually have to give a poo poo about the rest of their userbase because they're not actively shelling out thousands of dollars on RNG boxes that have a like 1% chance of giving you a decorative item you can even use.

No poo poo there was a topic on their forums complaining about how batshit insane the rates on these things and the dust you got for them were, and staff members were like "This is fine, you get a free box every week." so people who actually did spend money crunched some numbers and came to the conclusion that to get a full set of cosmetic items for your stupid wolf armor, it took on average about 100 boxes. That's 100 weeks if you're not buying them. They didn't think anything was wrong with that.

They're cosmetic items. There IS nothing wrong with that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MrJacobs posted:

Except for the part where it's entirely RNG, so you can potentially never ever even get one you can use. On top of that it costs Silver Dust to apply them. You only get Silver Dust by dismantling these same cosmetic items. So even if you do get one you can use, it will take you several weeks to be able to use it. Some even require more than one of the cosmetic item. So if you finally get your fancy fire ornament? Too bad, you actually need two for each piece of armor. It's kind of a bullshit system. As a whole, yeah selling cosmetics who cares. But they're selling them in a really skeevy way that even the whales aren't really comfortable with anymore.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

MrJacobs posted:

Well there is, having premium content locked behind a paywall in a $60 game is poo poo, regardless if its just some bells and whistles.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Well there is, having premium content locked behind a paywall in a $60 game is poo poo, regardless if its just some bells and whistles.

$170 actually, if you've been playing since release. Base game was $60, first two expansions were $20, Taken King was $40 and the new one is $30. Also you literally have to have PS+ or Xbox Live to play the majority of the game, even most of the PVE content.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Nuebot posted:

Except for the part where it's entirely RNG, so you can potentially never ever even get one you can use. On top of that it costs Silver Dust to apply them. You only get Silver Dust by dismantling these same cosmetic items. So even if you do get one you can use, it will take you several weeks to be able to use it. Some even require more than one of the cosmetic item. So if you finally get your fancy fire ornament? Too bad, you actually need two for each piece of armor. It's kind of a bullshit system. As a whole, yeah selling cosmetics who cares. But they're selling them in a really skeevy way that even the whales aren't really comfortable with anymore.

For what it's worth (not much), the Dust requirement is being removed from armor. Not from weaponry, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The dust requirement is being removed from the raid and Trials ornaments, the days of iron set will still require it I think.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
My favorite little thing in Destiny is that there are people that shell out for those vanity items.

Can't you just buy those fire ornaments directly from the in-game shop, instead of having a % chance of getting them from the random package (also purchasable?)?

e: also the shooting feels very good. That's what's kept me coming back through the :eyepop: years :eyepop: of this console FPS.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I remember back when Destiny was announced, and it looked like the coolest poo poo ever and I was really salty it was only coming out on consoles and not PC.

Heh.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
My favorite "little thing" in Destiny is rolling up on other, often lower-level Guardians who are having Serious Trouble with a running gunfight they're engaged in. Hop in, murder the gently caress out of a few terrifying space abominations. Everybody waves and goes about their business.

Being on the other side is pretty boss, too.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Yeah reading all this horseshit about it makes me glad I missed that boat.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Exit Strategy posted:

My favorite "little thing" in Destiny is rolling up on other, often lower-level Guardians who are having Serious Trouble with a running gunfight they're engaged in. Hop in, murder the gently caress out of a few terrifying space abominations. Everybody waves and goes about their business.

Being on the other side is pretty boss, too.

Sometimes there will be a Taken Ultra fight going on with a bunch of people struggling to kill it, and I'll roll up, shoot it a few times to make it look like I'm helping, then I'll hop in my hot pink speeder bike with hot pink armor and just honk my "AWOOGA" jalopy horn directly behind the people fighting :allears:

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
I just finished Kirby Triple Deluxe. During a cutscene after you beat the final boss, Kirby inhales the boss's health bar.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I'm replaying Yakuza 4 to try and get some more trophies, and forgot about all the little touches.

When you help out various citizens throughout the game area, they offer their services to help you out if you're in trouble. If you get into a fight near them, they'll provide a special move that gives you an advantage and it's usually a weird QTE.

If you help the owner of the pool hall in the underground mall, he'll toss a massive 9-ball for you to smash into the face of your attacker.

A convenience store owner will toss you a roll of magazines for you to...uh...violate your opponent.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

samu3lk posted:

I just finished Kirby Triple Deluxe. During a cutscene after you beat the final boss, Kirby inhales the boss's health bar.

I'm sure it was unintentional but I always kind of liked how all the weird distortion effects in FFX effected the subtitles as well.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Well if its just cosmetic how much does it really matter? It doesn't sound like they're selling double damage more accurate ultra rare weapons that you also have to pay to level up.

Like everyone wants their princess to be prettiest but if they have enough variety in there does it matter if some of its expensive? They kind of have the same poo poo to an extent in cs:go with the weapon skins but when you're playing the game no one is even paying attention to that poo poo

I know its the little thing thread but it seems like that's the the least malignant money grubbing route they could have gone.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Titanfall 2's campaign is really good. They've done a great job of making you feel like the competent super soldier from the opening cutscene, even if that's a little weird since the character's supposed to be brand new to a Pilot's equipment (I don't know about you, but if you slapped some jets to my butt cheeks and gave me a gun I would flop around and accidentally shoot a friendly). I don't care about that, I care about enemy durability. I spent enough time in the Gauntlet waiting for the game to load that I got placed into Hard difficulty and I'm glad it did. Enemies do decent damage so I can't soak up hit, but enemies also go down in a suitable number of shots. Add in the wallrunning, sliding, cloaking and overpowered melee attacks, and every encounter becomes a buzz of activity. All the weapons I've seen have been satisfying to use, and I feel like I'm nearing the end but the game is still introducing new equipment. It's a good time and I haven't even cracked the multiplayer yet.

The executions are pretty great and over the top, too. A mark of quality if I've ever seen one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been dicking around in the Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit game and there is a cute touch in the allotment area - when herding the sheep you make them enter a machine and it shears them before they go to their paddock - I just remembered where that machine came from: It's the Knit-o-Matic from A Close Shave :3: There are a few cute touches like that, although the game gets very hard very quickly.

Also it gives a good incentive to collect everything besides numbers, every 8 cards (for completing sidequests, exploring and doing the back areas) increases your health meter - you start with 4 crackers and get a new one for every upgrade. Also each area and family has 6 cards each, that's how they are sorted - as the quests are completed you get a fragment of a little family photo which is just cute. :) When all of a family's sidequests are complete you have a full family photo to enjoy.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I've been playing Make More, a mobile clicker game, for the past couple of days. Periodically, you'll get random bonuses like click multipliers or faster workers, and you're given the option to triple their duration by either watching an ad or spending a funbuck. Whenever the speedup bonus using a boom box shows up, I watch the ad if I can.

Why?

Because the boom box changes the music that plays to a knockoff version of 'What Is Love'. :v:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Dishonored 2 is all about making changes in society, but one fairly obscure thing you can do really has dramatic effects in the Stilton Mansion level.

If you knock out Aramis Stilton in the past (not leave him alone or kill him) A lot of things change for the better. He doesn't go to the Seance and go crazy, which leaves him in control of the Mines which runs better than the Duke, so the workers aren't as hosed over and there's no dust storms. As well as that, Meagan doesn't investigate his disappearance, which stops her from losing her arm and eye. It's crazy: On my run-through I just snuck past him to get the password, and the level's designed to make it easy to just avoid obstacles. One of the few times in games I've seen that loving with the time space continuum is a good idea.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Dishonored 2 is all about making changes in society, but one fairly obscure thing you can do really has dramatic effects in the Stilton Mansion level.

If you knock out Aramis Stilton in the past (not leave him alone or kill him) A lot of things change for the better. He doesn't go to the Seance and go crazy, which leaves him in control of the Mines which runs better than the Duke, so the workers aren't as hosed over and there's no dust storms. As well as that, Meagan doesn't investigate his disappearance, which stops her from losing her arm and eye. It's crazy: On my run-through I just snuck past him to get the password, and the level's designed to make it easy to just avoid obstacles. One of the few times in games I've seen that loving with the time space continuum is a good idea.

Yeah, they created an entire third version of the level AND a massively changed version of the previous area all for a single optional thing that is easy to overlook. It's nuts and super cool.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I really like the descriptions for the pokemon mirages in World of Final Fantasy - they're all written with very lighthearted humour, filled with references and fourth-wall breaking that I find really endearing for a genre that is usually all about grimdark world-saving and such. Some of the references are...well, not obscure, but they're certainly more than just "Ho ho remember [game]?"

Take this one, for the Minotaur, for example. Can't find an exact description of it, but it's something like "Don't try stopping this guy's charge on his third hop, because it ain't going to work! (Maybe he's not bald enough?)"

Which, after scrounging my memory banks, made me realize it's a reference to Bald Bull, from Punchout - the way to counter his Bull's Charge is to punch him on his third hop towards you. It's stuff like that that is really endearing me to this game's goofy style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Holy gently caress