Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Paladinus posted:

A facebook group for supporters of Hillary Clinton.

Current political climate in the US is perfect for fresh stdh about horrible white men attacking women in the streets with threats of violence in form of well-prepared ten minute long monologues, and marines and policemen, brave patriots of America, standing against looting hoards of thugs who never explicitly said to be black.

Animal thugs, actually. Don't forget to imply how savage "they" are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Seriously? I tried to show Futurama to people who hadn't watched it before, and THEY'VE heard of Jurrasic Bark.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Pyroi posted:

Seriously? I tried to show Futurama to people who hadn't watched it before, and THEY'VE heard of Jurrasic Bark.

Also, people who are grieving their dead dog are generally not inclined to watch anything involving dogs, no matter how cute.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

LanceHunter posted:

Also, people who are grieving their dead dog are generally not inclined to watch anything involving dogs, no matter how cute.

yeah and most people have enough genre awareness to know that in general pet dog in program = pet dog will perish

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

"Afterwards we can watch Marley and Me!"

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

bean_shadow posted:

"Afterwards we can watch Marley and Me!"

"And we can finish the evening with the classic, Old Yeller!"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

quote:

When Hillary Clinton made her direct appeal to "any little girls watching," my 14-year-old daughter happened to be watching TV. "Yeah, right," she said. "Margaret Thatcher got to be prime minister on her own. And Theresa May. But Clinton was running because she was the last chap's wife. Isn't that slightly, you know, banana republic?"

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/warming-to-trump/article/2607212

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Paladinus posted:

A facebook group for supporters of Hillary Clinton.

Current political climate in the US is perfect for fresh stdh about horrible white men attacking women in the streets with threats of violence in form of well-prepared ten minute long monologues, and marines and policemen, brave patriots of America, standing against looting hoards of thugs who never explicitly said to be black.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

I put down my dog a couple of weeks ago now and have been watching/hanging out with every dog I can find because they all need to be patted and I cant give my mate a pat so gently caress you and pat a loving dog

bend
Dec 31, 2012
sorry

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
In honour of sweden's new a mansplaining hotline, here's a story that not only didn't happen, but isn't mansplaining.

quote:

(Trigger warning for harassment, stalking, threats, and victim blaming.)

I’m a fresh computer-science grad. My major was web programming. The final semester, which happened just months ago, was rough.

One of my classes was reserved for people enrolled in one of two fields: web programming or computer programming. It was a course where the objective was to use all of our knowledge about writing, programming, the law, and ethics to create a real program or web site for a real client outside the school. This project was to be completed, as a team, by the entire class.

One of my classmates was an older man who knew nothing about web programming or web design and insisted that we were in a business class. How he got into the class in the first place, I have no idea.

He tried to mansplain dozens of things to me right off the bat, but the real trouble began when he insisted on stealing images from around the Internet to decorate our client’s web site. I told him we couldn’t do it.

Anyone who paid attention in the required freshman-level classes would have known that. Heck, tons of people who didn’t take any classes know that already because chances are they found out on the Internet. But he insisted that because I wasn’t a lawyer, I didn’t know anything about copyright law and I was not qualified to talk about it. He also said that if I was worried about the law I would have to drive to a faraway city to talk to a real lawyer and ask him to make sure we weren’t breaking any rules.

Then he told me to “stick to your programming and let the lawyers handle the law” – the equivalent of “get back in the kitchen”.

When I explained that I had taken my classes that addressed copyright law, and that the head of the department herself could confirm everything I told him, he brushed it off and said the she didn’t know what she was talking about either because she was “just a teacher”.

This is where it goes from mansplaining to something even worse, so I’ll understand if this one isn’t published.

After this he began harassing me. The verbal abuse, the on-campus stalking, the sexual harassment, and even some anti-LGBT harassment lasted for over a month. He continued challenging my knowledge of my own field, and every time he tried to assert that I knew absolutely nothing. Over and over again, he made his motive clear – that he considered telling him he couldn’t steal images a threat.

To cut a long and painful story short, it turned into a Kafkaesque nightmare with the Title IX coordinator telling me I was to blame, believing my harasser’s claims that I was the one harassing him, forcing me to attend mediation (in which my harasser threatened to stalk me off campus), and letting my harasser force terms on me to keep me completely silent and unheard in the class under threat of suspension.

I dropped the class to regain control, gained full credit elsewhere with help from the wonderful head of the department, and graduated on time as planned.

As for my harasser, by the time the semester ended he’d managed to drive away everyone but one sycophant. Together they ran the project into the ground and failed.

I later found out that my Title IX coordinator’s actions were illegal and that my harasser has a criminal record (violence, destruction of property, stalking, resisting arrest) and existing restraining orders against him. He had used his experience as an actual stalker and criminal to avoid disciplinary action when I made it clear I wasn’t going to take his abuse.

Abuse that was somehow “justified” because I corrected a man before I knew just how evil and creepy he was. And the Title IX coordinator fell for it. Wow.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

quote:

Then he told me to “stick to your programming and let the lawyers handle the law” – the equivalent of “get back in the kitchen”.

Are you loving kidding me?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Story should have ended with "he is still running toward me" and it would have been a good post.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Theresa May is following a guy who had sex with a severed pigs head, and she wasn't elected as PM. Not exactly groundbreaking.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Pip pip, old bean, I do declare that chappie was a right presidential laddio!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Decrepus posted:

Story should have ended with "he is still running toward me" and it would have been a good post.

Even better would be learning that the poster is a man.

piss explosion
Apr 2, 2005
I THINK MURDER AND BIGOTRY ARE FUNNY!!

Decrepus posted:

Haven't you heard? Whenever a man hears the Trump recording, he will start walking towards the first woman he sees in an unstoppable attempt to grab their pussy, reminiscent of the ghost from 'It follows'

DIED A VIRGIN
Dec 21, 2012

yes no yes no yes
#TrumpCup is generating some good stdh.

Edit: What makes this tweet funny isn't the Trump supporter trying to make a joke, but the CNN article about #trumpcup that takes it seriously.

DIED A VIRGIN has a new favorite as of 09:40 on Nov 19, 2016

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

DIED A VIRGIN posted:

Please tell me you're @mchmiel. If not, buy them a loving account here. They'd fit right in

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I don't think the US ratified that convention.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Bobby Digital posted:

I don't think the US ratified that convention.

The kid is part of an ngo seeking its ratification though.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

DIED A VIRGIN posted:

Edit: What makes this tweet funny isn't the Trump supporter trying to make a joke, but the CNN article about #trumpcup that takes it seriously.

Why are people buying coffee for children? Do they hate their families and friends?

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Khazar-khum posted:

Why are people buying coffee for children? Do they hate their families and friends?

They also serve hot chocolate and tea, so they could have been getting one of those. :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
that last one actually happened here in Finland. some chick was working at a burger joint. she tweeted that some dude was wearing "Make America Great Again" and she was so disgusted that she wanted to spit on the dudes burger.

it became big news and the chick was fired.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
When will people understand the internet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Not gonna lie, was surprised to see there's only 16 Starbucks in Lexington, KY.

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.
I feel like I've seen this exact story in this thread before, but one of my friends just posted this to Facebook:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Horror_Business posted:

I feel like I've seen this exact story in this thread before, but one of my friends just posted this to Facebook:

Imagine not only thinking it's cool to ruin the day of a child because they were a child, but thinking it's cool to BRAG about doing it :psyduck: Like not only why would you DO that, but why would you make up a story about doing it and tell people?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
let me tell you about a world called child-free

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Horror_Business posted:

This image isn't showing up for me...can someone summarize it?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Danaru posted:

Imagine not only thinking it's cool to ruin the day of a child because they were a child, but thinking it's cool to BRAG about doing it :psyduck: Like not only why would you DO that, but why would you make up a story about doing it and tell people?

Sportswriter Peter King actually did this. He stole a foul ball from a child at spring training (the kid had gotten into a restricted area or something) and wrote a column about it and about how he loved his job.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
>at starbucks
>kid behind you being excited
>kid wants the last blueberry muffin
>buys it, eat it in front of kid
>smug.jpg

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Tired Moritz posted:

>at starbucks
>kid behind you being excited
>kid wants the last blueberry muffin
>buys it, eat it in front of kid
>smug.jpg

Thanks! And drat, that's ice cold.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Horror_Business posted:

There was a Something Positive comic maybe ten years back where a kid in a supermarket annoyed a main character and he purposefully bought the last cupcake (or piece of cake or slice of pie or something) to eat in front of her.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ibntumart posted:

There was a Something Positive comic maybe ten years back where a kid in a supermarket annoyed a main character and he purposefully bought the last cupcake (or piece of cake or slice of pie or something) to eat in front of her.

Sadly, I know you're wrong, it wasn't to eat. He told the kid specifically he wasn't even going to eat it, but something stupid like sit on it, and when the kid told his mom, Mom cuffed him for lying about strangers. :sigh:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

ibntumart posted:

Then he sharted in the kids face? Or am I mixing stories...

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Doctor

quote:

This trope is parodied in real life by someone this troper knows. He is an actual doctor, and whenever someone needs a doctor in some place like a restaurant or something, he says "Don't worry! I've played Trauma Center!" Being a real doctor, he does know what he's doing. He didn't learn it from Trauma Center though. Hopefully.

Gun

quote:

This troper is a possible real life example. He spent years playing arcade lightgun games like Time Crisis. The first time he picked up a real gun, his cousin (who has military training and had been shooting for years) said he was a crack shot and he was even able to make shots his cousin couldn't, using a gun designed to his cousin's specifications. Its only possibly an example of this trope, since the troper may simply have a natural affinity for firearms.

Hulk

quote:

In high school, this troper had an insufferable classmate who one day viciously mocked the teacher, who was very sweet and mild-mannered, for being a vegetarian. This troper (who happens to be a vegetarian herself) stood up and proceeded to tell the offending classmate exactly why that sort of behaviour was unacceptable, and what sort of person it made him look like. It didn't change him, but he stopped bothering the teacher. Afterward, this troper stayed behind to tell the teacher "Sorry I went all Incredible Hulk." The teacher's response? "I'm glad you did, because otherwise I would have."

Office

quote:

An interesting female on female variant: This troper undertook a summer internship in a physician's office in high school, and the physician in question had to spend a week away from the office at a conference. The office, as so many do, contained one troublemaking tech who would openly brag about the number of med students and residents she'd driven insane over the years, and she and a couple of the other techs figured they would have the perfect opportunity to prank, scut-load and otherwise torment the latest "fresh meat" while Doctor was away. When my attending got wind of the plot, she quite calmly informed the entire office staff that contracts would be issued on their lives if one hair on my head was out of place when she returned. (Though not actually "affiliated," my attending was first-generation Italian and had several relatives in construction. She simply let people draw their own conclusions about the nature of her "family business.")

Loves

quote:

Troper Drascin is fiercely protective of those he loves, to the point his usually pacifistic hippy self can become rather... messy. He has exploded only twice in his whole twenty-one years of life - one of such explosions because my cousin's boyfriend dared to backhand her in my presence, and when I growled at him (never a good sign) what the gently caress he thought he was doing, he had the gall to tell me "Put the girl in her place". Two minutes later, the two of us were on the ground, bleeding, but him much more than me, and if my aunt hadn't stopped me, I am pretty certain that chauvinistic bastard would have ended up in the hospital. I'm not proud of it, but I think it was completely appropiate. Drascin's also known to respond to people making threats of violence and general bullying to his little sister with "That would force me to rip out your trachea and leave you to drown in your own blood. I would not want to spend the next ten years in jail, so please, don't do that" in his best Creepy Monotone. It generally works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Tired Moritz posted:

let me tell you about a world called child-free

OOooooooo I haven't posted a Childfree post for a while

quote:

Goddamn I am so loving pissed off right now. I've been looking forward to Fantastic Beasts since it was first announced. Today was the day I could see it. I bought a ticket to a matinee showing at our towns upscale theater, the only one with 21+ only showings. They have normal all-age showings, too, but this showing allows alcohol and guarantees no goddamn children ruining the movie, so it's worth paying more.
Except this time there was a kid. 40 minutes into the movie, I start hearing the sound of an infant starting the wake up and crying for attention sound. What had been so far a great movie was suddenly ruined. All I hear now is that kid. All I can focus on is that kid. I can't hear a thing the actors are saying, I'm just wondering when the next cry will start.
I left and got a refund, at least as much as I could. I already drank my overpriced soda, and they won't refund Fandango fees. Props to them, though, for immediately running into the theater to take care of it. The guy said [b]in his 2 years working there they've never had a kid in that theater, and that it's illegal since they allow alcohol in there.[/b[ But the movie was ruined. I had already missed enough of the movie I couldn't go back in to that one, and the next showing is 4 hours later.
Thanks a lot you son of a bitch.
My husband and I have been living away from home for work for 4/5 years of our relationship. Now that we are moving back home, we have had the infamous BINGOs begin haha.
"Just wait until you have kids.."
"Enjoy this life while you can...."
"So, now youre going to start your family. Right?"
Etc, etc, etc.

quote:

My study stop is no longer sacred

To preface: I don't not like children, I will probably adopt within the next 10 years. But misbehaved children and negligent parents annoy the crap out of me.
I'm studying at my favorite tea house in my favorite part of town. This place is awesome. No loud music, amazingly fast wifi, power sockets every where, hundreds of types of teas, and buffalo wild wings is next door for when I get hungry. I am not changing my study spot. I love this spot. This has been my spot for the past 3.5 years of my undergrad. I have another 6 months to go in this spot. Yes, I realize I sound like Sheldon Cooper, but this is my spot.
It's usually filled with college students here to study and tonight is no different. Until about 5 minutes ago. 2 moms and their 5 collective kids are here. 2 of the kids have already tried to mess with my notes and one asked to play games on my laptop. The last kid is less than 3ish months old and he's currently breastfeeding. If he stops breastfeeding, he starts crying. Moms are on their cell phones.
UGH THEY JUST SAT DOWN WHICH MEANS THEY AREN'T LEAVING ONCE THEY GET THEIR DRINKS.
Update: 1 of the kids was messing around in a chair, fell over backwards and started wailing. Mom finally got up and took the kid outside after everyone glared at her.

quote:

Yesterday I decided to take an Uber, it was a 20 minute ride so the driver and I chatted a bit.
It started out just asking what I do for a living and I mentioned what my husband does. The discussion was pretty nice at that point, just talking about new technology and it's necessity.
However he then asks if I have any kids, of course I don't. I told him that I don't and we actually plan to not have any children. He said "and your husband is okay with this?" I said of course he is.
He then asks me what's the point of marriage if you aren't going to have children? "Because I love him" was my response. He chuckled and told me that doesn't answer the question!? So I went on to say that you can have be a family without children, you can want to be with a person and have it just be the two of you.
He said that I'm not that young and will regret it when I'm in my 50's to not have children. Who is going to take care of me when I'm old.
His body language/facial expression was very perplexed/dumbfounded. He made me feel stupid and like I didn't know what I was talking about.
I told him that my siblings have nothing to do with my parents. If they didn't have me they'd have no one to "take care of them". Having children doesn't mean they'll take care of you when you're older. It's a gamble. He agreed but still thought it is worth gambling on it and the reason people get married is to have a family (children).
What bothers me most about this is that he was driving and I was in his vehicle, I couldn't walk away from this. I did not leave a good review because I was so uncomfortable. Additionally he is a driver, that's his job, drive and stfu. If you can't have a conversation with someone without making them feel uncomfortable you shouldn't be talking.