Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Walton Simons posted:

Is After the End any good? It would be nice to have a different map to paint.

IMO yes. Stealing from a post I made on Reddit:

quote:

The gist of it is "Medieval Post-Apocalyptic North/Central/South America". For the most part, people have forgotten the ancient empire of Usa, and content themselves with squabbling over the remains. In the Northwest, you've got the Haida and Gaian tribals fighting over the forests of Cascadia. South of them is the shattered Celestial Empire of California, waiting to be restored to its full glory. A bit east are some other tribals, worshipping the Mighty Atom, the Mormons in Deseret, and good Catholics following the Pope in New Rome. Around the Great Lakes are the fearsome Norsemen, returned to worship of One-Eyed Wotan, and Rust Cultists brought together in adoration of the wonders of the Old World. In New England there are Occultists, who've read too much into the writings of Lovecraft and Crowley, and Anabaptists who frankly don't do much. On the Mid-Atlantic, you have the Americanists who do remember the old ways and revere the founders, and seek to Restore America to its Old Glory. In the south-east, you've got the Holy Columbian Confederacy, who're basically the HRE, in all their day-wrecking, knight-jousting glory. Occasionally somebody will be hit by a Consumerist uprising, who believe that the Old World fell because we did not offer sufficient homage to the Almighty Dollar.
TLDR: Yeah, it's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

Walton Simons posted:

Yeah, it's good. A lot of religions/areas don't have their own unique mechanics but it's still fun. There's lots of cool ideas in it that make it easy to get immersed, lots of different options to play, interesting conflicts etc.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Sounds good, I've just created the Empire of Britannia this minute and elective empire management isn't as fun as I imagined.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

Have they updated it recently yet?

Development is ongoing, the SVN version is playable though.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

darthbob88 posted:

IMO yes. Stealing from a post I made on Reddit:

... has someone done the inevitable yet and made a Trump dynasty Americanist "Make America Great Again" run?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Walton Simons posted:

Extremely, it's one of the best mods around because it's very much the base game on a new map and with careful, sensible changes. No bloat, no bullshit.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I can confirm that After the End is really good. Overall I'd say stay clear of the religions or cultures that don't have much in the way of unique mechanics yet but what we have is great. I've had a lot of fun as a voodoo Republic of New Orleans and as a rust cultist.

Also it lets Americans do what Europeans have always been able to do and turn their hometown into the center of a glorious empire.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 15, 2016

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Nice, I'll probably start a new game with it tomorrow, normally I like finishing an old game before starting anything anew but I've been listening to a lot of Hardcore History and it makes me want to paint the map, and I've already done that in Europe. Also my elective/isolationist gimmick is wearing thin.

As an aside, does the CK2 Generator result in fun gameplay yet? Obviously it can never be as well crafted as something like AtE but might be good for a future run.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Sky Shadowing posted:

... has someone done the inevitable yet and made a Trump dynasty Americanist "Make America Great Again" run?
I've seen several on Reddit, looking up a post or two now.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

darthbob88 posted:

I've seen several on Reddit, looking up a post or two now.

I figured someone on Reddit had done it. I meant someone with class, like a Goon.

Or a really good LPer. Even a Redditer, if such a thing could exist.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Sky Shadowing posted:

I figured someone on Reddit had done it. I meant someone with class, like a Goon.

Or a really good LPer. Even a Redditer, if such a thing could exist.

Ah. Best I've found so far is this disappointing 2-part AAR, and the one who will, in time of need, return to rescue us from the Feudal 1%.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Pakled posted:

Also it lets Americans do what Europeans have always been able to do and turn their hometown into the center of a glorious empire.

Is Alaska in it? Haven't downloaded it yet but pics I've seen looks like it cuts off around Vancouver. :(

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It goes from Vancouver Island to Labrador and Newfoundland along the top, then the bottom has most of Colombia, Venezuela and the Guyanas.

Adding Alaska (probably as a map inset) has been thrown around a lot but nobody's really eager to do it.

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 15, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I did a personal Trump run before the election as Americanists but my only attempted LP of the game died as quickly as my motivation

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Edison was a dick posted:

Development is ongoing, the SVN version is playable though.

Thanks, good to know!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I just lost a war because 300 raiders that were my religion mixed in with 8000 troops holy warring me completely nullified my holy order.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Lmao I love that poo poo. Caught me by surprise once and I got so mad I ate a candy.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

Lmao I love that poo poo. Caught me by surprise once and I got so mad I ate a candy.

Nice meltdown.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Thank you pigpissman. Also it is really hard to get a foothold in Pannonia / wallachia, all the land is so crappy

And the vlach retinue SUCKS SO MUCH

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

This is my first game with Legacy of Rome, is the idea of retinues to have them around all the time in peacetime and eat the cost in exchange for having better troops?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Walton Simons posted:

This is my first game with Legacy of Rome, is the idea of retinues to have them around all the time in peacetime and eat the cost in exchange for having better troops?

Retinues are better than ordinary troops in literally every possible way, with the only drawback being that you don't get very many. The cost in particular is completely controllable, if you don't want them eating up your cash then just set them to reinforce at half-pace or not at all.

Back in the day it used to be possible to get 20k+ retinues at which point you literally didn't need anything else because armies larger than that are easy to gently caress over via attrition, smaller armies don't stand a chance, and equally-sized armies could skirmish with them and the retinues would reinforce faster and potentially beat them on the next go-round even if they lost the first one.

(It's probably still possible with enough territory but it's unlikely to happen in anything but the most viciously optimized, "paint the entire world my color" kind of games.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 16, 2016

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I'll start using them in that case, it takes a while to get them up to speed, though. Is it worth keeping them around even if you're not actively looking to pick a fight?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

I'll start using them in that case, it takes a while to get them up to speed, though. Is it worth keeping them around even if you're not actively looking to pick a fight?
They factor into the calculations vassals use for your strength for factions, so the more of them you have, the less likely they are to get uppity.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The entire point is to keep them around even when you aren't in a fight.

They have since been nerfed in that their is a measurable maintenance cost even when fully reinforced. But given retinue limits, that should only come into play for very specific cases of owning too much dirt farming land or having a completely rear end backward realm structure.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

That's cool, I'm rich and compact with pretty uppity vassal so I'll form them now.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
So I had 3 trading posts in the trade zone around Venice, with the other families having 1-2. But now one died out and after their posts got redistributed another family has 3, so I no longer control the zone. What can I do about this? Zone's already full and I'm the doge so building and war aren't options.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dragonwagon posted:

So I had 3 trading posts in the trade zone around Venice, with the other families having 1-2. But now one died out and after their posts got redistributed another family has 3, so I no longer control the zone. What can I do about this? Zone's already full and I'm the doge so building and war aren't options.

murder every male in their family and see where the cards fall in the next redistribution.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Volkerball posted:

murder every male in their family and see where the cards fall in the next redistribution.

Man, if we hadn't just had a thread title change...

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
OH my gods why the gently caress haven't they still fixed the Ursulines in the drat After the End mod??

I still can't see my bishops, I still am stuck on Free Investure, they still have no pilgrimage, what the heck.

At least Newfie is a culture now, which is neat and lets me play with another "Most Obscure Culture" to pain the map with.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Walton Simons posted:

The maintenance cost is diminished significantly when a retinue is full (about 10% of what it costs you when it's reinforcing), so keeping them around during peacetime is actually cheaper than dismissing them and re-building them unless you wait a LONG time between wars.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Retinues are better than ordinary troops in literally every possible way, with the only drawback being that you don't get very many. The cost in particular is completely controllable, if you don't want them eating up your cash then just set them to reinforce at half-pace or not at all.

Back in the day it used to be possible to get 20k+ retinues at which point you literally didn't need anything else because armies larger than that are easy to gently caress over via attrition, smaller armies don't stand a chance, and equally-sized armies could skirmish with them and the retinues would reinforce faster and potentially beat them on the next go-round even if they lost the first one.

(It's probably still possible with enough territory but it's unlikely to happen in anything but the most viciously optimized, "paint the entire world my color" kind of games.)

In those days a retinue of 25k could smash an army of 150k+ as long as you had a good cultural retinue(ie: not light inf or light cav) and abused the hell out of it.

I have found memories of having 25k heavy infantrymen meet the Mongol murderstack and wear it down because they had so many stacking defence bonuses that they were functionally immortal.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What the gently caress is this "DOES NOT HAVE SETTLEMENT CONSTRUCTION" poo poo.

Why do they keep adding this stupid bullshit? Having to upgrade it way too far to make a castle, they then decide to add a buggy thing to stop you from doing, what exactly? The trick where you could start building a castle in a one province tribal holding, then convert the tribal holding to a castle for a grand total of ~2 entire castles~ which you could perform in, what, that one place in Mali and some of the shittiest parts of the north?

I mean, yeah, I found an easy workaround where I just land a dude, adopt feudalism then kill him to inherit but its still pretty dumb

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 17, 2016

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Volkerball posted:

Oh drat, I actually ended up getting one of their posts and it was adjacent to my established zone. Didn't think it would work out so well.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dragonwagon posted:

Oh drat, I actually ended up getting one of their posts and it was adjacent to my established zone. Didn't think it would work out so well.

CK2 consistently rewards moral depravity.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Since when can you no longer declare war on someone preparing to invade you? I would think that they would be the ideal target to declare war on???

They really should just change invasions to be event driven...

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I hadn't played this in many months and recently started a new game as the Emir of Tripoli.

My starting ruler was pretty normal. Died of cancer.
Second ruler was a humble, kind-hearted cannibal who ate one of his wives. Died of cancer.
Third and current ruler is a genius, disfigured lunatic who wears a mask and is now King of Syria.

Fun stuff.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Since when can you no longer declare war on someone preparing to invade you? I would think that they would be the ideal target to declare war on???

They really should just change invasions to be event driven...

What's the weirdest place you invaded, I'll go first...............TREBIZOND!!!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Ah, I almost long for the days of old retinues, and running over entire enemy armies with my 40k cataphracts as I restored the Glory of Rome.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

Ah, I almost long for the days of old retinues, and running over entire enemy armies with my 40k cataphracts as I restored the Glory of Rome.

Nomads are the current equivalent. If I survive long enough to hit 3k horses, I'll survive long enough to hit 30k horses.

It is really expensive to reinforce 30k heavy cavalry after you chain assaulted the Byzantine Empire during an invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeesh. I've never had a game where I actually saw a Cadaver Synod before. In my current game, there's been 3. It's only year 824.

• Locked thread