Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I forget, what does power do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Darkhold posted:

You're SOL on ending the Edict without cheats as far as I know. If you advance the plot to the next act though another fatebinder shows up at the tower and he'll unlock Howling Rock on the map allowing you to reach the tower if you pick the right dialogue.

I'd be happy to use cheats if I could figure out a way to make any of them work other than UnlockAllMaps or whatever

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

RIP rear end Gang

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kontradaz posted:

The game doesn't account for more than 1700 power???

I had over 2000 at one point.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

I'd be happy to use cheats if I could figure out a way to make any of them work other than UnlockAllMaps or whatever

You gotta type iroll20s on the console to enable them - the combat log will tell you if they are working.

Alternatively, there are some tables already done for cheat engine that might be helpful in that sense.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Do I get to go to the Burning Library if I dealt with Leviathan's Crossing? All I did over there was put down some bandits and suffer more dull Oldwall dungeon.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
You new-age kids and your hatred for classic dungeons - shame.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

Bozart posted:

I am pretty sure that Kyros is supposed to be Cyrus the Great.

Cyrus was the one who did most of the conquests, but the Greeks for the most part liked him. The ones I mentioned tried to subjectate the Greeks, so the Greek PR machine went into high gear against them.

I have not finished Act 2 yet because of work but so far I am really enjoying this game, far more than PoE. I loved the conquests phase and Act I. The encounters have meaning, instead of just random monster fights. Act 2 is turning into the standard fantasy RPG and feels like it's losing sight of the game's concept, but its still there. Some dialogue is a little off like how Siren mentioned that I was fighting against Kryos even though I am still being a loyal civil servant up to this point. What everyone is talking about for Act 3 is a disappointment.

Like everyone else has said, the custom magic system is great and Lore is defiantly the most important skill. Mage all the way, and it fits better with the whole Judge Dread feel and rules lawyering that you can do.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
The real question is why isn't AI in an easily alterable XML format, or another simple data structure so enterprising coders can fix the mess that is my party.

I don't understand how you can make an AI like this, honestly, because it cripples both the players and the designers. How do you create good and interesting encounters when the AI is worthless and does little more than "fire spell X on target Y" without taking any context into account.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Golden Goat posted:

Unrelated:

Tyranny: I think I enjoyed rear end Gang the most

Why isn't this a hyperlink? Why can't I learn more about the rear end Gang? Devs??

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dragon Age Origins still has the best party AI system I've played.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

loving, this! I gave Barik spectral blur so he could parry better, and he just kept disengaging to cast it on the back line whenever archers would target them.

Has he got enough lore to cast spells with pride sigils?

Give him punch spells, namely the vampiric one. Works much better with his AI.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So maybe a dumb question. I'm half way through act 2 and I still don't have the healing spell core. I have Lantry and he has the one healing spell, but I can't upgrade it because I haven't unlocked the core. I haven't seen it on any of the vendors. Where is it?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Clanpot Shake posted:

So maybe a dumb question. I'm half way through act 2 and I still don't have the healing spell core. I have Lantry and he has the one healing spell, but I can't upgrade it because I haven't unlocked the core. I haven't seen it on any of the vendors. Where is it?

Talk to Lantry and ask him about his magic

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Daztek posted:

Talk to Lantry and ask him about his magic

That seems obvious now that you mention it but it's really weird to put something so important behind something so optional. Thanks.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

wiegieman posted:

Dragon Age Origins still has the best party AI system I've played.

That system took a bit of time setup, but once done the AI was capable of keeping it's self alive and using abilities so you don't have to baby sit them.

This game, I don't know. The AI does use spells and abilities but not enough. I decided to stop using Eb because of this since I didn't want to manage two nuke casters for every fight. I wish Lantry would use the party buffs more often but he will use the healing spells on the party. Which is a shame because these are the companions that I like.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

Midnight Voyager posted:

Give him punch spells, namely the vampiric one. Works much better with his AI.

2nd this. He does well with offensive and debuff spells and stays put using them. Touch spells and cones are good. Aura is great if you can get his lore up. I loaded him up with Emotion spells.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What attributes are the most useful ones to focus on for companions? Does Might matter that much? Does Vitality make much of a difference? Is Finesse as much of a god stat as people say?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Stats don't matter nearly as much as they would in other RPGs (PoE being the exception). Traditional goon logic holds might as the stat to push. But given that Tyranny / PoE don't have fixed crit ranges, there are very few other accuracy buffs, and everything you do can roll / gain bonuses from crits (poisons ONLY land on crit), finesse is the all-around best stat to boost.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I'm on my 2nd playthrough and just noticed that you can develop a really powerful Barik-Verse combo. Do other npcs also have combos with each other instead of the player ?

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 16, 2016

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Is everyone else getting loading problems with this game? Every time I initiate a dialogue or even sometimes mid-dialogue the game freezes for a few seconds to load it in and loading a save takes a relative eternity. I've got 4 times more ram than the game requires so I don't get it.

Good game though.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

For the record, re: the previous beastman bug stopping me from breaking the edict of stone - I turned on god mode and turned the speed up and just rolled through Stalwart again. Lost just shy of four hours of playtime but I'm almost back to where I was with only an hour and a half of playing.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is it possible to finish Act 3 without any combat? It seems that no matter what you do, you always have to fight Bleden Mark.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is it possible to finish Act 3 without any combat? It seems that no matter what you do, you always have to fight Bleden Mark.
From what I've heard, regardless of Favor or Wrath the only way you can avert this is if you're on the Independent route.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I finished Act 1 (I think? Talked to the dude at the Bastard City), doing the Unfavored path. I went to Lethian's Crossing first for no particular reason, took offense at the mercenaries not respecting Kyros and slaughtered them to a man.

I also unlocked the spire with 2 rubbings and some educated guessing (lots of trial and error :downs:)

Then I went and did the other stuff (ended the Edict of Storms, brought the daughter back) and now Ashen Grave just told me to go to Lethian's Crossing... did I mess something up by going there first?

Also I only have 1 piece of evidence against the Chorus at this point (the weapons being sold to the enemy info that you get from Lethian's Crossing, did I just miss hella stuff somehow?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Edit: ^^^^You might've missed a lot of stuff, yeah. Some of it can come from the conquest, and a big piece is from Act 1 (Let Nerat rant when you choose who to side with in the end and he'll let slip that he killed Ashe's son). There's a whole lot at the Sage library (one Chorus guy has tortured Disfavored for years, the Chorus are running the hunt for the Silent Archive as a game) and some in Blade Graves depending (Chorus recruiting in Blade Graves despite being forbidden, if you forbade them in Conquest, some of their orders too). Basically kill and loot every Chorus you find and read every letter you turn up.

If there's a cheat table for faction influence I'd be really interested in experimenting with Act 3. You can convict Graven Ashe and the Voices of Nerat and I assume in both cases that means a fight to the death is inevitable, although I would've thought if you yourself are a rebel or turn your back on the courts that it might let you recruit them (since they're already outside of Kyros's law). If you don't, though, I think Graven Ashe and Tunon are just straight up favor checks, whereas I don't know what's going on with Nerat. You can kill all the Archons in one playthrough sure enough but I think even with cheats there'd be hard limits on recruiting them.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 16, 2016

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

What's the difference between the independent and anarchy road ?

Is there a way out of Act 1 without picking/betraying a side ?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hammerstein posted:

There isn't really a difference, apart from how you play it - I'm pretty sure you can still try to be a loyal servant of Kyros and the Court, or you can immediately thumb your nose at them and fight everyone in the whole world. They both start the same way though.

And you have to take a side in Act One because otherwise everyone dies. You can totally play it off as only siding with one of the three armies out of necessity, hell even if you pick the rebels you can explain to Tunon that the other Archons were failing to enact Kyros's will so you took charge of the situation, but without the help of one of the three armies you cannot fulfill Kyros's command to take Ascension Hall.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Psykmoe posted:

The setting itself is pretty mushy with the Archon title, because people are like that. The founder of Eb's school is called an Archon but she just picked the title herself and people rolled with it - she never served Kyros. There was apparently an Archon of the swamps who was just a hermit with plant powers. Cairn was some kinda lonely mountain hermit before Graven conscripted him somehow. I mean, the Earthshakers treat him more like an object of study than a teacher of stone magic, according to the encyclopedia.

For all we know, a lot of these obscure Archons you can see mention of are literally just, uh, D&D style Sorcerers (innate magic) that wizards somehow manage to derive learnable techniques from.

An Archon is someone who has made the leap from practising magic to actually being magic. They don't need spells or sigils to cast magic, it's an innate part of them. Sigils are in fact just a way of invoking a specific Archon's power. The Illusion core sigil, for example, is a way for some random rear end in a top hat to tap a tiny bit of Sirin's mojo. The one who ran Eb's school is the source of the Gravelight sigil, Cairn is the source of the Earth sigil, and so on. So yes, they're all just D&D style sorcerers that wizards worked out learnable techniques from. But in a world where that's the only reliable source of magic, they're a pretty big deal.

Midnight Voyager posted:

So is there any benefit to doing the Edict of Stone yourself and picking the outcomes? In Conquest, I mean. For example, if you do the Library, you can give the mages time to escape which opens up an area. (I assume it isn't open if you don't even do the library?)

If you do it right then Halfgate is still Plainsgate. And all of their croplands haven't had the poo poo blighted out of them by the Earthshakers. They're actually doing pretty good for themselves considering the edict. I'm pretty sure it's the biggest good deed you can do in Conquest.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Hammerstein posted:

There's a rebel route, an independent (betray all alliances) route, and a route for both the Disfavored and the Chorus. You have to pick one.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Dolash posted:

If there's a cheat table for faction influence I'd be really interested in experimenting with Act 3. You can convict Graven Ashe and the Voices of Nerat and I assume in both cases that means a fight to the death is inevitable, although I would've thought if you yourself are a rebel or turn your back on the courts that it might let you recruit them (since they're already outside of Kyros's law). If you don't, though, I think Graven Ashe and Tunon are just straight up favor checks, whereas I don't know what's going on with Nerat. You can kill all the Archons in one playthrough sure enough but I think even with cheats there'd be hard limits on recruiting them.

I executed Ashe and dealt with Nerat without combat by telling him I'll bow to him and complying with his request to sacrifice a companion. Due to Archon-in-making magic it ended up with Barik devouring Nerat from inside and awkwardly leading the chorus to do my bidding.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

I wonder how DLC is gonna work for this game, considering all the different outcomes.

It would be kinda sad if you let major characters live (or not) and they are only mentioned as a few lines of text in the future, like "Ah yes Tunon, he's alive and busy doing legal paperwork in his palace".

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Hammerstein posted:

I'm on my 2nd playthrough and just noticed that you can develop a really powerful Barik-Verse combo. Do other npcs also have combos with each other instead of the player ?
No, it's just those two.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's a little weird seeing some of the same people that hated Jack in ME2 saying they like Verse. I mean compared to Verse, Jack is a loving saint.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but Jack is all tortured soul about it and Verse just revels in it and is generally havin' a good old time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Stroth posted:

An Archon is someone who has made the leap from practising magic to actually being magic. They don't need spells or sigils to cast magic, it's an innate part of them. Sigils are in fact just a way of invoking a specific Archon's power. The Illusion core sigil, for example, is a way for some random rear end in a top hat to tap a tiny bit of Sirin's mojo. The one who ran Eb's school is the source of the Gravelight sigil, Cairn is the source of the Earth sigil, and so on. So yes, they're all just D&D style sorcerers that wizards worked out learnable techniques from. But in a world where that's the only reliable source of magic, they're a pretty big deal.

IIRC the sigil only relates to the first Archon of that element. So Graven Ashe is not the first or last Archon of War. Callio mentions that Bleden Mark has assassinated plenty of would be Archons of Fire or Ice and he himself is not the first Archon of Shadow. I think the first Archon of something would be the one that people draw their magic from and following Archons are just people who can tap into that aspect in their own unique way, or something.

Actually now I'm kinda confused in general.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I deleted after maybe 1 hour. I was promised that i could be a bad guy but that was not what i got. Insane loading times. Boring setting.

Obsidian should do Alpha Protocol 2 next.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah but Jack is all tortured soul about it and Verse just revels in it and is generally havin' a good old time.
Also, and I think this is the most important part, Verse doesn't show up wearing a preposterous lack of clothing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JT Jag posted:

Also, and I think this is the most important part, Verse doesn't show up wearing a preposterous lack of clothing.

Miranda wearing a suit so tight it literally goes up her rear end was much worse than "this character has a shitload of tattoos and wears an outfit to show them off".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Edit: ^^^^ I think we can agree that they were both pretty bad. One of my favorite ME1 -> ME3 comparisons was the character Ashley having incidental dialogue in the first game about how she'll never wander around the galaxy in a miniskirt and then her outfit in the third game was basically that.

Verse is just generally unrepentant about what she is, which on the one hand is a nice change from "this angry person is a wounded soul you can heal with your patience/love/dick", but on the other hand also makes her (and the rest of the companions) a bit flat and static since there's no point in challenging any of their views. Nobody really learns from their experiences or can develop, I think one of the few examples of this where Barik goes catatonic if you kill Ashe suggests that rather than being character-focused, the companions are just another vector to express your relations with the factions since that's the core of the game and their "development" is just whether they love or hate you for allying with or murdering their friends respectively.

Edit: Can anything come of (Lantry background spoiler)discovering Lantry joined the Sages as a Scarlet Chorus agent? It hardly does him any good considering he fails his mission of getting them to surrender and it doesn't spare him if you feed him to Nerat in Act One, but it seems like a bit of a bombshell and normally I'd figure it'd play into some story about him being a fraud or deceitful but it ended up just being some trivia.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 16, 2016

• Locked thread