Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean to be fair I MAINLY blame the american education system at this point

But no

agreed, I am taking a basic survey course (civilization b which is basically about all the ism but we are only up to napoleon and didn't even cover most of the french revolution) and people are failing that, i mean like getting 5% on their tests. so yeah i can believe it.

Fullhouse posted:

i'm guessing many of them only watched the movies and couldn't be bothered to read a book
but geezus this harry potter poo poo is getting out of hand

Its a good book series, but holy gently caress. I love star wars and i dont compare everything to vader or tarkin or luke or whoever. i mean sure i'll make some joking comparosins to GoT giving the current politics but gently caress. my brain hurts. i said it earlier, but the only two bad people that exist to these morons are hitler and voldimort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agreed, I am taking a basic survey course (civilization b which is basically about all the ism but we are only up to napoleon and didn't even cover most of the french revolution) and people are failing that, i mean like getting 5% on their tests. so yeah i can believe it.

Its a good book series, but holy gently caress. I love star wars and i dont compare everything to vader or tarkin or luke or whoever. i mean sure i'll make some joking comparosins to GoT giving the current politics but gently caress. my brain hurts. i said it earlier, but the only two bad people that exist to these morons are hitler and voldimort.

and "Orange Hitler" is such a lame nickname. Trump is much closer to Mussolini than Hitler, why not call him Cheeto Benito?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

blamegame posted:

I don't like the phrase 'virtue signaling,' in fact I hate it, but the safety pin does seem like one of those things.

But I don't get people who are really loving bothered by it or find it just the most hilarious though. Like who cares? They're just people. It's so much more funny when brands or w/e do this stuff

The main thing I dislike about virtue signaling, which is absolutely a word you should use and call people out on, is the lack of sincerity. Sincerity is important because if you don't care about something, say LBGT people, then as soon as it isn't popular anymore you'll go right back to hating them or, at best attempting to ignore them.

A topical example is Hillary Clinton and BLM. She cared about them as much as she needed to for their votes, but as soon as she was approached by them she and her friends started hissing and ignoring. The reason? Lack of sincerity.

The other reason it's a bad thing for lovely people is that it creates a false moral superiority without the required critical thinking to back it up. Why should we care about BLM? Why should we care about LBGT? I can answer these questions, the people wearing whatever fad and doing it for likes, can't. The result being they will just as easily support a registry for Muslim immigrants as long as the branding makes them feel good. It's intellectually bankrupt and shouldn't be supported.

It also leads to an "us vs them" mentality which is extremely unhealthy for society and guess who gets hurt in such a polarized society?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Dreddout posted:

My ideology is Pepsi!

we Coke Pals want to have a word with you in the backlot

[claps baseball bat in open palm several times]

post more woke brand poo poo to mock so we can get away from all the "no im actually woke" effortposts :gonk:

Lastgirl has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Nov 18, 2016

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

and "Orange Hitler" is such a lame nickname. Trump is much closer to Mussolini than Hitler, why not call him Cheeto Benito?

Because Mussolini wasn't a Harry Potter character so they've never heard of him

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

THANK YOU

why is everyone still using cheeto hitler after they see Cheeto Benito even once, i can't understand it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

THANK YOU

why is everyone still using cheeto hitler after they see Cheeto Benito even once, i can't understand it.

Most of these people have no idea who Mussolini was

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Most of these people have no idea who Mussolini was

Most of these goony rear end goons posting in C-Spam?

I don't believe you.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I mean technically he's the American Silvio Berlusconi, but that's less sensational.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

mussolini fits so incredibly well though

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

hes Idiot Mussolini

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Fullhouse posted:

mussolini fits so incredibly well though

Has anyone photoshopped this building so the face has Trump's hair?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

hes Idiot Mussolini
He's like Mussolini with bits of Admiral Horthy mixed in.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
My question is: If Trump is Sauron then who is Sean Bean's character (ie the guy who dies really early in the journey that no one really likes)? Is that Rick Perry?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Peanut President posted:

My question is: If Trump is Sauron then who is Sean Bean's character (ie the guy who dies really early in the journey that no one really likes)? Is that Rick Perry?

Boromir is Jeb because they both ended up being outshone by their brothers

E: plus HW has probably wanted to kill Dubya from time to time

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

hes Idiot Mussolini

Mussolini was already scrapping the bottom of the barrel intelligence wise.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lmao

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

Mussolini was already scrapping the bottom of the barrel intelligence wise.

mussolini was an intelligent guy, vastly more so than donald

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Counterpoint: he trusted Hitler

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
you know the more i read about this hitler fella the less i care for him.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
this dude harassed a random barista at starbucks over "anti-white racism"

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/799665905873653760

so now they're doing this

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/799667238089424896

which doesn't really do anything but harass other starbucks workers, which I think is what they wanted in the first place. good job everyone

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They've begun emulating #wokeness. They will fall from their ego trip just as the pioneers of #woke have done.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
mack is back baby http://genius.com/Macklemore-and-ryan-lewis-wednesday-morning-lyrics

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

here comes the moneeeey

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

mussolini was an intelligent guy, vastly more so than donald

I honestly don't know much about him other than Italy completely wiffing everything during the war. What was it that made him intelligent?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

I honestly don't know much about him other than Italy completely wiffing everything during the war. What was it that made him intelligent?

Mussolini invaded Ethiopia. Hitler invaded Russia.

Gonna have to say Mussolini was the smart one.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Has anyone photoshopped this building so the face has Trump's hair?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Venom Snake posted:

he was a pretty prolific writer, and basically founded fascism as an ideology through his writing

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

:golfclap: Bravo!

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

devtesla posted:

which doesn't really do anything but harass other starbucks workers, which I think is what they wanted in the first place. good job everyone

"The Florida Man Said"

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

devtesla posted:

yeesh

i heard rumblings, now i kinda wish i didnt hear the full story

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
what's with people protesting by buying poo poo from the people they hate? In 2001 it was buying French wine to throw it away to show them frogs what for, then every Christmas it seems to be buying from (insert literally anyone, it can be anyone at all who fails to be Sufficiently Christmas) but putting your order under 'Merry Christmas' or something so they have to write it, now it's going to a place these people think is actively discriminating against them (lol), buying from them, but saying 'Trump'?

Like, these people know what a boycott is right?

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

what's with people protesting by buying poo poo from the people they hate? In 2001 it was buying French wine to throw it away to show them frogs what for, then every Christmas it seems to be buying from (insert literally anyone, it can be anyone at all who fails to be Sufficiently Christmas) but putting your order under 'Merry Christmas' or something so they have to write it, now it's going to a place these people think is actively discriminating against them (lol), buying from them, but saying 'Trump'?

they don't care about hurting the business, they care about intimidating the employees/customers

at best they're looking for confrontation, at the worst they're out to harass and threaten

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SpaceGoku posted:

they don't care about hurting the business, they care about intimidating the employees/customers

at best they're looking for confrontation, at the worst they're out to harass and threaten

gently caress that's it isn't it? They're hoping some straw-liberal actually does say something to them like in their fantasies and they get to 'fight back' guilt free?

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

gently caress that's it isn't it? They're hoping some straw-liberal actually does say something to them like in their fantasies and they get to 'fight back' guilt free?

sure, if you want

but it don't even have to be that, just making one of "their" days a little shittier

see: rolling coal

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

totally owned starbucks today by buying their coffee

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

These things are started by the corporations themselves, to reach the normally-untapped people who hate your guts market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheStagmania/status/799781231907008512