Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aren't Death and Azrael completely separate characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Azrael is the angel of death, aka the one God sends out to do stuff like kill all the first born sons of Egypt. Death is of the Endless, one of 7 beings that are personifications of universal constants.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

Azrael is the angel of death, aka the one God sends out to do stuff like kill all the first born sons of Egypt. Death is of the Endless, one of 7 beings that are personifications of universal constants.

And honestly I'm kind of disappointed that Lucifer is going with Azrael. There are a million other angels they could have used, but no, they have to go with the same name that Gotham decided to desecrate too. :(

muscles like this! posted:

Correct, except of course in Vertigo comics the regular Angel of Death retired in the 1800s and melted down his sword....

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

counterfeitsaint posted:

It would be inconsistent for him to recognize Uriel, the widdlest angel, and not Azreal, unless she's being all sneaky on purpose.

I think they said Lucifer was the youngest and Amenadiel was the oldest angel, so she really shouldn't have been "young" before Lucifer left

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

VendaGoat posted:

The baby angel of death....

SIDS?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That would be the Angel of Baby Death.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Now I hope Lucifer sings his version of "Angel of Death" by Slayer on the piano.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

VendaGoat posted:

Another war on Heaven.

Looks like Mom plans to push Lucifer to give in to the knife and murder some humans so he'll get over his love of them and go on the Crusade with her and Amenadiel to "get God's attention" with bloodshed and carnage which can't be good.
At least, that's what I got.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Whoa. Apparently Joe Henderson (exec producer) got a phone call on his personal private cell tonight from a Trump supporter, bitching at him for supporting Hillary.

That's pretty god damned scary.

Holy poo poo. It's a show, people need to calm down about the messages fictional characters are saying. Tracking down a private number through a series of channels is crazy.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

Holy poo poo. It's a show, people need to calm down about the messages fictional characters are saying. Tracking down a private number through a series of channels is crazy.

Welcome to the internet.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Pan Dulce posted:

It's funny, because two years ago no one would have batted an eye at that joke.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Why is Azraels blade so dangerous?

I get that it can kill Angels but so can those knives Maze has. Is it the only thing that can kill Luci's mother?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Titan posted:

Why is Azraels blade so dangerous?

I get that it can kill Angels but so can those knives Maze has. Is it the only thing that can kill Luci's mother?

It obliterates anything, soul and all. So, if you kill Luci his soul goes to hell. Maze's blades can actually harm a demon. Regular knives can not.

The blade basically treats divinity as humans.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

VendaGoat posted:

It obliterates anything, soul and all. So, if you kill Luci his soul goes to hell. Maze's blades can actually harm a demon. Regular knives can not.

The blade also has a desire to kill things that infects the person who holds it.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

That's what I'm unclear on. Does it wipe them from existence? Like is Uriel just gone? Not just back in Heaven?

In season 1 didn't Luci get stabbed by that corrupt cop with Maze's knife and that caused him to die and go back to Hell?

Amenadiel got shanked by one of Maze's knife and he was dying before she healed him with a feather from Luci's wings. The only way I can see her sword being a truly fearsome weapon is if it literally erases you from existence.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Titan posted:

That's what I'm unclear on. Does it wipe them from existence? Like is Uriel just gone? Not just back in Heaven?

In season 1 didn't Luci get stabbed by that corrupt cop with Maze's knife and that caused him to die and go back to Hell?

Amenadiel got shanked by one of Maze's knife and he was dying before she healed him with a feather from Luci's wings. The only way I can see her sword being a truly fearsome weapon is if it literally erases you from existence.

From what the show has told us, in Luci's own words; "Uriel, that's Azrael's blade. You're not planning on taking Mum back to Hell. That weapon will wipe her out of existence entirely. No Heaven, no Hell, just... gone."

Maze's dagger a demon or angel will return to whence they came. As Lucifer did in the season ender of the first season.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

From what the show has told us, in Luci's own words; "Uriel, that's Azrael's blade. You're not planning on taking Mum back to Hell. That weapon will wipe her out of existence entirely. No Heaven, no Hell, just... gone."

Maze's dagger a demon or angel will return to whence they came. As Lucifer did in the season ender of the first season.

I must have missed that part. I thought the obliteration comments was just Luci being Luci and using hyperbole.

Thanks for the info!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Titan posted:

I must have missed that part. I thought the obliteration comments was just Luci being Luci and using hyperbole.

Thanks for the info!

Happy to help.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

Happy to help.

Kind of odd for God to create a weapon that can erase himself from existence. If it can kill his wife surely it can kill him too. Maybe that's momma's end game. Lead another war on Heaven and kill God and take his place.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Probably a test or some poo poo; isn't God supposedly all about the retarded-rear end tests of faith?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
"But in Latin, Jehovah starts with an I..."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That puzzle bugs me so much. Why is there a J in the puzzle? Who put it there?

I guess the Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword was around for ~800 years, they obviously updated the puzzles. The sawblades were even more modern.

I mean, at the bare minimum, they'd have to rebuild the letters every single time someone failed the test.

So I guess it doesn't bug me at all. It's no optical sensor from the beginning of Raiders...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Titan posted:

Kind of odd for God to create a weapon that can erase himself from existence.

Nobody's saying that it can get rid of the big guy--just, you know, everyone else.

This whole thing is starting to remind me of the Jerito Paradox: could Jesus make a burrito so hot that he couldn't eat it?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Titan posted:

He doesn't tend to use hyperbole, unless he's speaking in vague terms.

As far as I can tell, he hasn't ever told a direct lie for the entire run of the series. He may dip into sarcasm, or misleading wording, but everything he says is true, if not always the entire truth. At this point I'm not sure if it's only a point of pride for him (as he says), or if he's actually flat-out incapable of telling a lie. His Brothers and Mom lie almost constantly, so it's not a general angelic/divine trait. I know in the comic it's all about his pride, but aside from borrowed names and a few scraps of premise, this show doesn't follow the comic much.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

tarlibone posted:

Nobody's saying that it can get rid of the big guy--just, you know, everyone else.

This whole thing is starting to remind me of the Jerito Paradox: could Jesus make a burrito so hot that he couldn't eat it?

God and Mom are the two beings who are responsible for all of creation. I wonder if they're of equal power. If they are, then what could kill her could kill God. They are both celestial beings after all.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
The thing that keeps me from putting all celestial beings, or even just God and Mom, on the same level is this: God banished angels, including one of His sons. And, He banished Mom. If they were equal, I don't think He could just do that to Mom.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My take on the knife is it destroys the angel equivalent of the "soul" (or maybe souls are the same in angels and humans?), they are dead and gone and there is no coming back. As for killing God, going after the king is always risky, especially when the king is omnipotent or nearly so.

The mythology here seems to be pinching a little from the Greeks and "Mom" is roughly equivalent to Chaos. She does seem to stir up trouble.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Well, yeah, she's being played by Tricia Helfer. That's basically her thing.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

wormil posted:

As for killing God, going after the king is always risky, especially when the king is omnipotent or nearly so.
Or God has already been dead for millennia and everyone just assumes he's doing his usual mysterious silence bullshit this entire time, with the Heavenly host just bustling about doing whatever they think he wants. Uriel seemed to fit that pattern, at least.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Robot Hobo posted:

Or God has already been dead for millennia and everyone just assumes he's doing his usual mysterious silence bullshit this entire time, with the Heavenly host just bustling about doing whatever they think he wants. Uriel seemed to fit that pattern, at least.

Lucifer at least thinks that his visions were from dad, so at least there's someone out there pretending to be Him

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I wonder if the blade destroys human souls too? No one seems to think it's even worth mentioning that all those human souls were murder stabbed out of existence. It can't be a very common occurrence. Normally the cases Lucifer works on folks were just normal dead and went to heaven/hell as normal, so I can see why not one would really care much about that.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

counterfeitsaint posted:

I wonder if the blade destroys human souls too? No one seems to think it's even worth mentioning that all those human souls were murder stabbed out of existence.
Lucifer doesn't really have anyone to talk about it with. The idea of souls being a real factor isn't something his cop friends will believe, and it's not something Mom or his Brothers seem to give a poo poo about now. Maze would just consider it a waste that she won't get to torture them when they get back home, which is a dead-end conversation. His Therapist would probably just have another blue-screen-of-death moment when her recent confirmation that people actually do have immortal souls is updated by the news that a bunch of those somehow just got murdered.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Is shtupping the devil a mortal sin?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

VendaGoat posted:

Well, there is the possibility that what's happened to Amanadiel is in part due to sleeping with Maze...

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

Uh......well you might wind up conceiving the Anti-Christ, so there's that.....

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

Probably no. And did you mean mortal or eternal? Criteria for mortal:

Its subject must be a grave (or serious) matter.
It must be committed with full knowledge, both of the sin and of the gravity of the offense.
It must be committed with deliberate and complete consent, enough for it to have been a personal decision to commit the sin.

Second and third don't apply as she didn't have knowledge he was lucifer and it was shown that she didn't have complete consent as she was other his influence.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Lucifer has always been truthful about his identity, so technically she did know.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

Lucifer has always been truthful about his identity, so technically she did know.

I doesn't matter if he was telling the truth, she didn't know.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
:cripes: What have I started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

tarlibone posted:

The thing that keeps me from putting all celestial beings, or even just God and Mom, on the same level is this: God banished angels, including one of His sons. And, He banished Mom. If they were equal, I don't think He could just do that to Mom.

God banished Mrs. God with the help of his Angels. God and Her may be on an equal footing but only one has the Heavenly Host backing him up.

Kind of like in Supernatural where Chuck and Amara were equal but Chuck had the 4 Archangels backing him up.

• Locked thread