Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Siochain posted:

If you are on an industrial site, make sure to have your hi-vis and safety glasses to 100% prevent anyone loving caring.

Not even industrial sites, wearing Hi-vis absolutely anywhere is a free ticket that explains to everyone around you that you're an important person not to be messed with.

Social conditioning is fun, it's no surprise theft and espionage is so easy since people are very exploitable which in turn makes secure systems exploitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Super Slash posted:

Not even industrial sites, wearing Hi-vis absolutely anywhere is a free ticket that explains to everyone around you that you're an important person not to be messed with.

Social conditioning is fun, it's no surprise theft and espionage is so easy since people are very exploitable which in turn makes secure systems exploitable.

I haven't been able to talk myself past security in client buildings (yet) but I've lost count of the amount of times I've hung around in a foyer waiting to shadow someone with a keycard. Polo shirt and a backpack is enough to get in the door most places I've found.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Merijn posted:

And telling me they can't follow along because I'm going too fast. :rolleyes:

Bit ago, but that's a gripe with my boss too; I touch-type and tab around screens a lot. If I'm on a customer page, I click a field, fill it, 9 tabs, fill it, 9 tabs, fill it, escape. I can be in and out of a screen on some of our programs, CORRECTLY, mind you, before she even knows what's going on, and I have a hard time slowing down intentionally. She seems to actually take offense to the fact that I can move around so fast because she always says I need to slow down.

I've never made the same error twice once it's been pointed out to me. I just pay attention and I'm able to move fast correctly because of it and I resent being told to slow down.

E/N sorta, but eh.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

KoRMaK posted:

My realistic dream career goal is physical penetration testing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvGfuLlZus

Pretty much...

neogeo0823 posted:

I can't believe I watched all 2 hours of that, but at the same time I could not stop myself. That was actually pretty amazing.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Me too.

I liked the part where he talked about turning the elevator phone into a listening device.

Trastion posted:

I now know way more about elevators than I ever really need to.

Etc. etc.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Panic came in...

We are at the day prior to our monthly release of our software. At this point the only real testing still being done is continued regression testing, but even that is pretty much done.

Then suddenly today one of the most critical parts of our application was no longer working in regression testing on our QA server.

What followed what 3 hours of people panicking and us developers working as quick as we could to discover the reason. The problem was that we couldn't reproduce the error in an environment we can actually debug anything, and the error being logged was profoundly unhelpful.

At this point I had a suspicion that I didn't air because it seems so ridiculous that there was no way it could have happened. Parallel to our monthly release project, some other developers are working on upgrading the third party software that our stuff is built on top of. I recalled a couple days ago that the developers working on the upgrade had ran into this exact same error at this exact same location in the project. But there should have been no way that anything from the upgrade made it into the monthly release build, we checked all the code merges and everything had looked good there. This got even more suspicious when we were able to determine exactly where the error was happening: the exact same place the upgrade team found it.

We do more digging and find out that somehow our automated deployment software ran the wrong set of scripts when we did our latest deployment to the QA server. I say "automated deployment software" but it is really a hodgepodge of systems cobbled together that each piece is pretty much only known by a single person. I'm glad this is how I got to spend half my day when I already had a headache.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Panic came in...

We are at the day prior to our monthly release of our software. At this point the only real testing still being done is continued regression testing, but even that is pretty much done.

Then suddenly today one of the most critical parts of our application was no longer working in regression testing on our QA server.

What followed what 3 hours of people panicking and us developers working as quick as we could to discover the reason. The problem was that we couldn't reproduce the error in an environment we can actually debug anything, and the error being logged was profoundly unhelpful.

At this point I had a suspicion that I didn't air because it seems so ridiculous that there was no way it could have happened. Parallel to our monthly release project, some other developers are working on upgrading the third party software that our stuff is built on top of. I recalled a couple days ago that the developers working on the upgrade had ran into this exact same error at this exact same location in the project. But there should have been no way that anything from the upgrade made it into the monthly release build, we checked all the code merges and everything had looked good there. This got even more suspicious when we were able to determine exactly where the error was happening: the exact same place the upgrade team found it.

We do more digging and find out that somehow our automated deployment software ran the wrong set of scripts when we did our latest deployment to the QA server. I say "automated deployment software" but it is really a hodgepodge of systems cobbled together that each piece is pretty much only known by a single person. I'm glad this is how I got to spend half my day when I already had a headache.

At least you found it in QA and not in production!

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I've been watching that video all morning, I'm now stuck in an elevator for the first time in my life. Totally coincidental, I didn't do anything it just stopped between floors. I quickly closed YouTube on my phone and really hope the other people in here didn't see what I was watching.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's one thing I love about my new job. We have entire spools of Velcro. Barely any zipties anywhere.

My radio station is absolutely addicted to zipties D:

There's a huge bulk bag of them. A 1000-pack bulk bag.

"What if we need to re-run a cable?" I asked.

"You cut them," they replied.

welp

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MJP posted:

welp

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A security scanner run by a client's IT team is somehow crashing their SAN controllers and I have no drat clue how. The metadata network is completely isolated from the house network but somehow the scanner is able to send junk connections and data to the SAN volumes and cause a failover.

I saw the brute force SSH attempts and was like "okay, yeah that's normal" and then I checked cvlog and saw a bunch of login/logouts and invalid data from the same IP. Now it may be a combination of this and them being old lovely Xserves but looks like I get to have a chat with the security team.

Or I'm going to use pf to just block the poo poo out of the IP. Which I'm sure the security team would love :v:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 18, 2016

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

welp

"So, I was cutting this ziptie to add another cable to the bundle, and I nicked this 200 foot long specialty cable and now it needs to be re-run..."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

n0tqu1tesane posted:

"So, I was cutting this ziptie to add another cable to the bundle, and I nicked this 200 foot long specialty cable and now it needs to be re-run..."

"Welp we expect you to buy a box of cat5e since you're the one who snipped it. Have a nice weekend! Can't wait to see your handy work on Monday!"

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

:mad: "I'm getting an error message that says _________."
:eng101: "Oh hey, we just sent out a Tip of the Month email about this before lunch. If you take a look at your inb-"
:mad: "I deleted it."
:eng101: "Okay, well could you check your dele-"
:mad: "No. It's gone. I never read those things. They're useless."
:eng101: "..."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

odiv posted:

:mad: "I'm getting an error message that says _________."
:eng101: "Oh hey, we just sent out a Tip of the Month email about this before lunch. If you take a look at your inb-"
:mad: "I deleted it."
:eng101: "Okay, well could you check your dele-"
:mad: "No. It's gone. I never read those things. They're useless."
:eng101: "..."

"user refused service"
Ticket closed.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

just had my first instance of

"We have 10 new users starting Monday, can you have machines configured and shipped to us by then"

Yeah, 3pm on a Friday...

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Why didn't you know they were starting? You read everyone's email anyway, right?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
This isn't difficult you go to best buy point at one and say "10 please!" And you drive them over to their office it takes like an hour WHY IS IT BEING SO loving DIFFICULT

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MF_James posted:

"We have 10 new users starting Monday, can you have machines configured and shipped to us by then"

Yeah, 3pm on a Friday...
:reject: What do you mean you can't do it, I gave you almost three days heads up!

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Expect this miss to be documented for your next performance review.

MF_James posted:

Yeah, 3pm on a Friday...

Yours too.

I'm not bitter or anything...

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
a ticket came in... (lady walked up to my cube,) laptop shutting off then not turning back on...

idk why she was plugging this in, what purpose she thought it served.

Hard to understand because she is not a native english speaker but I think it was just because it was nearby, and because it happened to fit the headphone jack...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

People always assume setting up a computer is the easier thing in the world. Yeah if you want no software and no domain access it's pretty quick. It's all that custom software, getting it on the domain and documenting it. Even if I had pre-imaged machines telling me 2 hours before I go home on a Friday is probably just enough time to get them properly packaged and in the shipping department. Nevermind actually making user accounts or documenting what computers they were, which hopefully was on the shelf space.

User accounts and emails would have to be OT or done on Monday. That's 12 minutes per computer so many I could make the accounts if I rushed but I do have end of week tasks on a Friday that need to be done.

This all assumes I have 10 computers ready to go, which is an insane number and even in the best company is extremely unlikely.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

pixaal posted:

People always assume setting up a computer is the easier thing in the world. Yeah if you want no software and no domain access it's pretty quick. It's all that custom software, getting it on the domain and documenting it. Even if I had pre-imaged machines telling me 2 hours before I go home on a Friday is probably just enough time to get them properly packaged and in the shipping department. Nevermind actually making user accounts or documenting what computers they were, which hopefully was on the shelf space.

User accounts and emails would have to be OT or done on Monday. That's 12 minutes per computer so many I could make the accounts if I rushed but I do have end of week tasks on a Friday that need to be done.

This all assumes I have 10 computers ready to go, which is an insane number and even in the best company is extremely unlikely.

I started snapping at people who gave me sub-24hr notice for computer builds... I never actually ended up saying "nope sorry you can't have it on <date>" but giving zero notice is a huge loving problem, people don't seem to understand or care.

Now I actually have a giant behemoth of a corporation, bureaucracy and approvals that need to come ahead of a computer actually being given out, so that kind of helps mitigate a bit of it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

drukqs posted:

a ticket came in... (lady walked up to my cube,) laptop shutting off then not turning back on...

Hard to understand because she is not a native english speaker but I think it was just because it was nearby, and because it happened to fit the headphone jack...

That thing looks dangerous as gently caress. I'm almost 100% positive most headphone jacks are not designed to prevent 12 volts DC power at 2 amps from entering the system.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

That thing looks dangerous as gently caress. I'm almost 100% positive most headphone jacks are not designed to prevent 12 volts DC power at 2 amps from entering the system.

"Smoke test: positive (contained smoke)"

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

MF_James posted:

Yeah, 3pm on a Friday...

I just got a single new hire request for Monday. It's 5:45 pm, we close at 4:30, and do not have weekend hours.

There is also no last name in the request, just an initial...

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

she's apparently had it plugged in this way for at least 7 days, ever since they rearranged this lab bench. no smoke or signs of melting which is very surprising.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

drukqs posted:

she's apparently had it plugged in this way for at least 7 days, ever since they rearranged this lab bench. no smoke or signs of melting which is very surprising.

... and how was she actually charging it!?

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Deuce posted:

... and how was she actually charging it!?

w/ the correct Dell charger which was also plugged in

i dont think she knew that the other end of this cable was a wall wart...

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

drukqs posted:

Hmm, this demands that you plug it in to every device with a headphone jack and record which ones explode and which are OK.

For science.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

My realistic dream career goal is physical penetration testing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvGfuLlZus

Saw this post at work and just remembered about it. This is a good watch.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pixaal posted:

Saw this post at work and just remembered about it. This is a good watch.

There is an old defcon talk by Johnny Long i saw years ago where he talks about a pentest he did. The guy he was partnered with failed it by gaining server room access in 30 minutes with a wet towel.

This made me rethink everything i thought i know about computer security.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Johnny Long is a great speaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CWrzVJYLWw

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

drukqs posted:

Hahaha oh poo poo, I bet that went down well!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This isn't difficult you go to best buy point at one and say "10 please!" And you drive them over to their office it takes like an hour WHY IS IT BEING SO loving DIFFICULT

I got to strike a little comeuppance the other day as a delivery of monitor arms finally came in after manufacturer delays. Normally these would take a week minimum to come in whereas these took a whole month, there's nothing special about them besides maintaining an aesthetic but it's a small lesson on lead times... not everything can be next day morning delivery regardless of how much you complain.

I keep mentioning it but we still keep hiring new people expecting to be setup with Salesforce accounts, when we're not buying any more licenses since we're a month away from contract shut-off.

I should probably also propose to management some kind of minimum on-boarding cost/budget for new starters to cut through the purchasing authorization bullshit, as much I enjoy being asked "Has [person] who starts in two days equipment been setup yet?" and answering with "The order hasn't even been signed off yet" it's just a bit silly.

goat stimulator
Feb 14, 2012

turn riffs into a weapon
this isn't directed towards anyone but please for the love of loving god never work for a university

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

mooglesoft posted:

this isn't directed towards anyone but please for the love of loving god never work for a university

Can you elaborate? What if we really dig the university vibe?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
What if I really truly believe the university won't work me to death and that I'll be able to skate through a free degree, maintaining a solid work / school / life balance with no interference whatsoever?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What if I really truly believe the university won't work me to death and that I'll be able to skate through a free degree, maintaining a solid work / school / life balance with no interference whatsoever?
Uncle Jack is glad to see you're a happy citizen who takes his Joy each day.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Maintaining a good work/school/life balance is nearly impossible even with a 40 hour week.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

mooglesoft posted:

I just spent a week in a training class, 3 of the people there were from local pacific NW universities, every one of them loving loved their jobs, so maybe it's just you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goat stimulator
Feb 14, 2012

turn riffs into a weapon

ErIog posted:

Can you elaborate? What if we really dig the university vibe?
i'm sure it's very different elsewhere. IT here is very decentralized---each school has their own IT dept and the university has centralized dept that handles phone/network/exchange issues. i work for one of the schools and i get to work with 11 other part time student help desk workers and retrain new ones every 6 months. most of them have no technical skills whatsoever and half of them refuse to do work at all and watch netflix/do schoolwork instead. one of them is a pill junkie and passes out at work and leaves for 3 hours without telling anyone. another one decided to leave the windows open next to $200k worth of servers in our server tech classroom near them overnight when its raining just so he could leave 30 seconds earlier. one of them (who just recently graduated) slung adderall to students FROM OUR loving HELP DESK. just last week one of our "smarter" workers decided he was going to transport a 10lb iMac that we were fixing permission issues on for two weeks for a professor. (!!!) he stood it up on a cart and he tried to jump a curb----it fell over and shattered the entire screen. had to replace it with a new one and the dude tried to act like he didn't do it and laughed it off.

the IT director refuses to fire or discipline anybody. i've suggested restructuring so we have just 3 reliable and trained full time help desk employees instead of having the revolving door of people who mostly don't care and he isn't interested.

can't say i dig it. it's the best i'm gonna get for a part-time job while i finish the last term of my degree and after i get that i can apply for full time work elsewhere. just extremely frustrating.

• Locked thread