Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Holy piss. people werent kidding about the hd650 clamp. These headphones squeezing my noggin like my whore ex wife squeezed my balls.

Depths fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Depths posted:

Holy piss. people werent kidding about the hd650 clamp. These headphones squeezing my noggin like my ex wife squeezed my balls.

Yikes, glad I didn't get these. I have a large noggin and have actually broken a pair of over-ear headphones trying to stretch them out for my head.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

treiz01 posted:

Yikes, glad I didn't get these. I have a large noggin and have actually broken a pair of over-ear headphones trying to stretch them out for my head.

I stretched the metal out a bit and they are now far more comfortable. Not as comfortable as my 595s, but this will do just fine.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Depths posted:

I stretched the metal out a bit and they are now far more comfortable. Not as comfortable as my 595s, but this will do just fine.

I did the same. There's a guide floating around.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Depths posted:

Holy piss. people werent kidding about the hd650 clamp. These headphones squeezing my noggin like my whore ex wife squeezed my balls.

I think you just sold me on a pair.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a very large head, 7 7/8 in fitted cap measurement, and I love my 650s now.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I'll try to make more sense this time

Currently have 598's and DT770. I enjoy the sound of the 598's but prefer the bass of the 770's.

Looking for an upgrade (going to be giving the 598's as a gift) that will blow my mind. I want to spend 2-3 hours a day just listening to music a day in the dark while I drink and smoke. The DT770's are fine for casual listening throughout the day, but I want something that will be a treat.

I have an amp/DAC but willing to upgrade that too.

I don't like sibilance or fatiguing treble.

Budget 300-500

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
get them hd6xx's from massdrop, or just regular 650s if you can't wait and are rich

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Thought I'd try out the 600's and if I didn't like them, I'd return them.

Well, holy crap. I've only been listening to them for 2 hours while I go through my library. Everything sounds so great and inviting. From all the reviews and everything I expected them to sound too clean and clinical. I feel no fatigue from the treble or anything. Everything sounds so fun to listen to while at the same being relaxing and not tiring.

Coming from the 598's, I wasn't expecting too much from the bass, but I was really surprised here.

Super comfortable to wear to boot.

edit: I put on a FLAC track of Chopin and this is me

DAMN NIGGA fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 7, 2016

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So after months (god, probably almost a year? edit: Yep, first posted here Sept '15) of waffling, I finally realized I travel too much to not have a decent set of headphones, and I sprung for the Oppo PM-3. What's a good amp to pair with these? Most reviews seem to say they benefit greatly from one.

Source of most music will be an iPhone (6S, for now...) and a '15 rMBP. (So, assume 3.5mm / aux input, I guess? Bluetooth AND 3.5 seems like a feature set too far, but if it's out there, I'm curious about it...)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 7, 2016

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Krakkles posted:

So after months (god, probably almost a year? edit: Yep, first posted here Sept '15) of waffling, I finally realized I travel too much to not have a decent set of headphones, and I sprung for the Oppo PM-3. What's a good amp to pair with these? Most reviews seem to say they benefit greatly from one.

Source of most music will be an iPhone (6S, for now...) and a '15 rMBP. (So, assume 3.5mm / aux input, I guess? Bluetooth AND 3.5 seems like a feature set too far, but if it's out there, I'm curious about it...)

I really like my oppo ha-2. The SE version is for sale now,since they discontinued the original. Great sound, compact, nice features and quality build. It also cam act as a phone charger if needed. If it's around 300USD.

I bet the two would work great together.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Serious question - is there really a point to buying a 250 dollar dac / amp for PM-3s, which are low impedance enough to get good volume straight out of a cell phone?
I don't mind blowing money on nice headphones but I've always been hesitant to drop that kind of cash on an amp. Reviews of products like that tend to be high on vague "audophile" language about airiness or whatever that kind of sets off my BS detector.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

secret volcano lair posted:

Serious question - is there really a point to buying a 250 dollar dac / amp for PM-3s, which are low impedance enough to get good volume straight out of a cell phone?
I don't mind blowing money on nice headphones but I've always been hesitant to drop that kind of cash on an amp. Reviews of products like that tend to be high on vague "audophile" language about airiness or whatever that kind of sets off my BS detector.

Once you hit a certain point, you don't notice much difference. I had a Chord Mojo, $800 and I prefer the Oppo HA-2 which is half the price and has more features and looks nicer/is more portable. I also have Micca Origen+ which while different in sound from the Oppo isn't $300 different, which is the price differential between the two. But they both have different feature sets which make them both worth owning for me.

A good DAC does make a difference, but most of the differences beyond just having a good DAC chip have to do with features and functionality of the unit.

I wouldn't spend anything more than ~400 for a portable dac/amp as long as it has the features I want/need. Bass boost, act as a battery for my phone, has low and high gain and is small enough not to be annoying to travel with.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I know the drop is over for now (had to happen when I was flat broke), but for those asking about the Sennheiser HD 6XXs from Massdrop, they're acoustically unchanged from the HD 600s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzyMlJ6cERg

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

I know the drop is over for now (had to happen when I was flat broke), but for those asking about the Sennheiser HD 6XXs from Massdrop, they're acoustically unchanged from the HD 600s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzyMlJ6cERg
You meant to say they're unchanged from the HD 650s.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Don't feel bad about not having the cash, that poo poo crashed the entire site and sold out in like 5 minutes flat. I'm sure they'll run more drops.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Don't feel bad about not having the cash, that poo poo crashed the entire site and sold out in like 5 minutes flat. I'm sure they'll run more drops.

Yeah considering how often the AKG's are up and how fast the 650's went, it's a no brainer.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I almost went for the 6XX but then I realized I have half a dozen headphones already and I don't need another pair of middle of the road headphones.

The price was almost too good to pass up. If I didn't have a pair of Beyerdynamic t5p.2 headphones coming tomorrow I would have gone for them.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Hamelekim posted:

I almost went for the 6XX but then I realized I have half a dozen headphones already and I don't need another pair of middle of the road headphones.

The price was almost too good to pass up. If I didn't have a pair of Beyerdynamic t5p.2 headphones coming tomorrow I would have gone for them.

I wouldn't call 650's middle of the road, really. I think they're the point at which the price of a headphone stops being about quality and starts being about flavor. There are obviously things that electrostats and high end planars, and even other high end dynamics can do that the 650s don't, but plenty of people with more experience than I have would be quite happy owning nothing more than a pair of 650's and a really good amp as their only setup.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I wouldn't call 650's middle of the road, really. I think they're the point at which the price of a headphone stops being about quality and starts being about flavor. There are obviously things that electrostats and high end planars, and even other high end dynamics can do that the 650s don't, but plenty of people with more experience than I have would be quite happy owning nothing more than a pair of 650's and a really good amp as their only setup.

I used to think that until I got some end game headphones. You are right that the $500 price point is about where you start to see diminishing returns. But those returns can be oh so sweet. It is more than just flavour, there is speed and detail added into the mix.

If all you care about is having a single pair of headphones then yeah, you are right. Some people seek out something more and end up with multiples.

I started with the Etymotic ER4P, then bought some Ultrasone 580s. After that It's all been down hill. I've got the Ultrasone Pro 900, Shure 1540, Shure SE846, Fostex TH900, Focal Elear, Stax 1270, Audeze EL-8, and soon the Beyerdynamic t5p.2.

I think I will probably stop soon. I just need to try the higher end Audeze and the Sennheiser HD800. Probably would never buy the HD800 as I don't like bright headphones, but the Audeze LCD-X interests me.

I'd consider selling them all and buying just two headphones, say the Focal Utopia and maybe the LCD-X but I think I would miss having options. Plus spending 4000 dollars on a pair of headphones is kind of crazy.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Josh Lyman posted:

You meant to say they're unchanged from the HD 650s.

Catching these mistakes is why Jed trusts you so much.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the go-to recommendation for an on-the-go headset that would be comfortable to wear under a hat or toque?

Right now I wear a Motorola S305. It's not amazing, the sound isn't that great, but honestly it works well enough as a "music while walking to work" device that I haven't been fussed enough to replace it with anything better. I kind of like the over-ear aspect because they're pretty comfortable.

I just started wearing a hat this week since it's been chilly, and the S305 is pretty much impossible to wear. The band around my neck keeps the hat from resting comfortably, and the thickness of the earpieces themselves makes me look like there's something wrong with my head when I've got the hat on.

I typically don't really like in-ear buds but I'm willing to make a change this winter to keep listening to music on the way to work. I'd prefer something that isn't sealing (I really really really hate my Monster Turbine in-ears and how they feel, not to mention they never actually fit my ear canal properly). I don't mind if they're attached to each other loosely, I just want to avoid a cable to my phone, and I'd prefer not to have them interfere with my headgear so I guess if they were connected by a wire to each other that would be best.

The only other thing I'd rather not get is earbuds that just aren't connected to each other at all -- I'm terribly worried that I'd lose one while walking. Not sure how paranoid I'm being, but hopefully that gives you some insight into what I'm looking for.

If it weren't for that last want I'd probably just wait for the new Apple BT buds.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Martytoof posted:

What's the go-to recommendation for an on-the-go headset that would be comfortable to wear under a hat or toque?

Right now I wear a Motorola S305. It's not amazing, the sound isn't that great, but honestly it works well enough as a "music while walking to work" device that I haven't been fussed enough to replace it with anything better. I kind of like the over-ear aspect because they're pretty comfortable.

I just started wearing a hat this week since it's been chilly, and the S305 is pretty much impossible to wear. The band around my neck keeps the hat from resting comfortably, and the thickness of the earpieces themselves makes me look like there's something wrong with my head when I've got the hat on.

I typically don't really like in-ear buds but I'm willing to make a change this winter to keep listening to music on the way to work. I'd prefer something that isn't sealing (I really really really hate my Monster Turbine in-ears and how they feel, not to mention they never actually fit my ear canal properly). I don't mind if they're attached to each other loosely, I just want to avoid a cable to my phone, and I'd prefer not to have them interfere with my headgear so I guess if they were connected by a wire to each other that would be best.

The only other thing I'd rather not get is earbuds that just aren't connected to each other at all -- I'm terribly worried that I'd lose one while walking. Not sure how paranoid I'm being, but hopefully that gives you some insight into what I'm looking for.

If it weren't for that last want I'd probably just wait for the new Apple BT buds.

I got these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GNYFT8E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They get me through the walk/metro to work, some occassional listening throughout the day + phone calls and the trip back home with no issues. Haven't had them run out yet, and at $30 they are cheap to replace if i loose them or break them.

They feel solid and well build and magnetically snap together to turn into a necklace when you don't have them in to keep them from falling down.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good enough for me, thanks. Ordered from amazon.ca and I was pleased to see it was only like $35CDN.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Preferred Tonal Balance - Whatever makes Lateralus sound ideal.

Krakkles posted:

So I finally got home and got to put these on. I have to say ... :perfect:

I've loved this album for over a decade and listened to it countless times and I'm hearing new things and THESE THINGS SOUND AMAZING.

Hamelekim posted:

I really like my oppo ha-2. The SE version is for sale now,since they discontinued the original. Great sound, compact, nice features and quality build. It also cam act as a phone charger if needed. If it's around 300USD.

I bet the two would work great together.
... which means it's time to buy this. Thank you.

edit: also they smell like new car smell. Which is awesome too.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 11, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I got these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GNYFT8E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They get me through the walk/metro to work, some occassional listening throughout the day + phone calls and the trip back home with no issues. Haven't had them run out yet, and at $30 they are cheap to replace if i loose them or break them.

They feel solid and well build and magnetically snap together to turn into a necklace when you don't have them in to keep them from falling down.

Nitrous, thanks again -- got these on Thursday and they're really comfortable, work exceedingly well.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Martytoof posted:

Nitrous, thanks again -- got these on Thursday and they're really comfortable, work exceedingly well.

Glad they work for you.:)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's up with these AKGs on Massdrop? I'm still playing with the idea of getting some new closed-back headphones https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k553-pro-studio-headphone

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

prom candy posted:

What's up with these AKGs on Massdrop? I'm still playing with the idea of getting some new closed-back headphones https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k553-pro-studio-headphone

My buddy bought them. They're pretty alright. Not incredibly accurate, but they're not at all bad.
I think my ATH-M70x sound better, but he seemed to like them.

They're huge on my head and envelop me. They don't sit on my ears right or seal properly so that's probably part of why they don't sound great.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've got good headset but I'm looking into getting IEM/earbuds because I can't wear a headpset at work. :v:

What should I start looking at with regards to having good sound quality, but also can stand up to the cold? I like to listen to music when I'm jogging and it can get cold here, but I'm not sure what's reasonable to expect for cold resistance.

With regards to the OP's list: Budget's not a huge issue, I'd probably be mostly plugging them into an android or Mp3 player, isolation's not important, I'd prefer something more compact to full size, I prefer balanced... uh, tonal balance.

The only good headphones I've used before are Focal's Spirit Professional, which have been good.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 15, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
On the cheap side, I love KZ's ATE, and their ATR is apparently a much improved version of that. I also got a pair of ZS3, which are comfy and sound fantastic but I'm not in love with the cables.

A lot of people love the Carbo Tenore, which are tiny and sound great, but I am wary of the build quality.

For a little more cash, the Shure SE215 is a time-tested standard for a reason. There are better sounding IEM's in that price range like the VSonic GR07 classic or RE400, but the small size and durability of the Shures still make it a contender in my book.

If you wanna go high end, the new Etymotic ER4XR are god drat amazing.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Definitely don't buy the Carbo Tenore for jogging, they sound amazing but they're flimsy.

If you're a stupid idiot who likes to buy lots of headphones I would recommend carbo tenores to leave at work and then something else for jogging.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My buddy bought them. They're pretty alright. Not incredibly accurate, but they're not at all bad.
I think my ATH-M70x sound better, but he seemed to like them.

They're huge on my head and envelop me. They don't sit on my ears right or seal properly so that's probably part of why they don't sound great.

I'll pass on them then, thanks!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Harman Kardon SoHos are on sale for $40 on Amazon.

Are these any good? Looks like they launched at $200, and I'm tempted to check them out just to check them out. Review sites are kinda all over the place anywhere from 3-5 stars. I don't really have a need - I prefer circumaurals and have ATH-M40Xs for travel and Sennheiser HD 518s for at home, but it can be hard to pass up.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
At $40, I'd just give it a shot if you're into the aesthetic.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB950BT-Extra-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00MCHE38O/

Solid deal?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Meh. Unless you like big rear end, flabby bass, I'd take the Jabra Move or Mee Matrix first.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I've been looking to replace the headphones I use with my computer. I currently have a pair of AKG K512.

I've been looking at the Sony MDRV6. My dad's owned a pair since about 1989, and they still work fine. He told me that the sound they produce is pretty clean/unfiltered, and that you need to tweak the EQ if you want to get a more refined sound. I've never really messed with EQ setting before. Is there a trick to it, or do you just tweak it to your preference?

The reviews for the MDRV6 compare it to the Sony MDR7506, saying that there isn't much difference between them. The MDRV6 has a voice coil, but I have no idea as to what difference that makes. Right now, I'm leaning towards the MDR7506, since they're cheaper.

Like I said, they'd be for my computer. I don't have a sound card (the Device Manager just lists my speakers as 'Realtek High Def Audio'). They'd be used primarily for gaming. As far as preferred music goes, I'd probably say progressive rock, and I guess electronic/synthesized music (I'd say game music, but that's not really specific.)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Max Wilco posted:

So I've been looking to replace the headphones I use with my computer. I currently have a pair of AKG K512.

I've been looking at the Sony MDRV6. My dad's owned a pair since about 1989, and they still work fine. He told me that the sound they produce is pretty clean/unfiltered, and that you need to tweak the EQ if you want to get a more refined sound. I've never really messed with EQ setting before. Is there a trick to it, or do you just tweak it to your preference?

The reviews for the MDRV6 compare it to the Sony MDR7506, saying that there isn't much difference between them. The MDRV6 has a voice coil, but I have no idea as to what difference that makes. Right now, I'm leaning towards the MDR7506, since they're cheaper.

Like I said, they'd be for my computer. I don't have a sound card (the Device Manager just lists my speakers as 'Realtek High Def Audio'). They'd be used primarily for gaming. As far as preferred music goes, I'd probably say progressive rock, and I guess electronic/synthesized music (I'd say game music, but that's not really specific.)

My go-to all around computer headphones are my Sennheiser 598se and I've got a pretty extensive lineup. Bang for the buck, they're unbeatable.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My go-to all around computer headphones are my Sennheiser 598se and I've got a pretty extensive lineup. Bang for the buck, they're unbeatable.

Ahaha, those were the other headphones I was looking at. Those are $150 though, which is a little too expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Max Wilco posted:

Ahaha, those were the other headphones I was looking at. Those are $150 though, which is a little too expensive.

They'll be 99 for black Friday on amazon