Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lunethex posted:

For those who don't watch Jade's streams, Talow's name is censored in the chat. I don't know why or who did that but it's just one of those quirks in life. Whoever types his name will see it but it shows up as *** to everyone else.

That said, its the perfect nickname. Talow "***" Rosine

As I watched the video, I wondered if it had something to do with both being stunned by the Zerker Queen and popping off that three-target flashbang. Talow sees stars, makes others see stars. Eh? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I've always used killzone on an unactivated pod, overwatched all but 1 soldier, and then shot at them with a soldier to trigger everything to happen. That accomplishes the same thing and doesn't leave anything to go wrong. I don't know why beagle wouldn't simply do that instead. If it worked before and got patched, i don't see much of an issue because killzone in an overwatch action. If I was wrong about beagle making it work earlier then I never saw it nor do i see the big deal of it.

And yeah, i wasn't watching his video to notice it was a AWC'd killzone on a grenadier instead of a sniper modded. In either case though, he just needed to shoot the pod rather than overwatch all.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I disagree that it isn't a big deal. Having an overwatch trap go off and reveal the enemy during the enemy turn makes all the difference for hard pods and double pods. Killzone used to enable this all game long, now it only works after the squad is revealed (until the endgame where you get an item that enables enemy-turn initial overwatch ambush again).

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Apparently, it did work before.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/43rfag/so_the_beaglerush_maneuver_is_alive_and_well_with/

And the grenadier with Kill Zone is an AWC bonus ability.

I appreciate things like this because while I like strategy games I don't have the patience for playing them. Playing 1 mission for 30+ minutes seems like a time sink because there's still another 50 that I need to do to finish the game. There was a longwar lp thread here and I liked the fact that even though a mission could last for up to 1.5 hours every choice was explained. Too bad they went on hiatus. :(

So yeah, I don't get all the Beaglerush and talking hate but at the same time I do.

It's a niche that he fills perfectly, but when I have to listen to every step of hist thought process for every move, I feel like I'm watching a walkthrough instead of an LP. I find it frustrating, personally. All he has to do is a little editing so that his videos aren't a loving slog to get through. People who edit and do post-com like Jade explain their choices and thought process while we watch it happening, not while we're waiting for it to happen, so we get real commentary in the videos, not just strategy talk with ummming and errring

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

It's a niche that he fills perfectly, but when I have to listen to every step of hist thought process for every move, I feel like I'm watching a walkthrough instead of an LP. I find it frustrating, personally. All he has to do is a little editing so that his videos aren't a loving slog to get through. People who edit and do post-com like Jade explain their choices and thought process while we watch it happening, not while we're waiting for it to happen, so we get real commentary in the videos, not just strategy talk with ummming and errring

He did do editing when he started. Rather a lot of it. Then, to deal with the slower video production as compared to demand, he started doing livestreams, which were a hit. Basically, he was just responding to the market.

Seriously, the early videos were pretty snappy.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

This mission is a good demonstration of why rangers are so good - monster critical hits! 15 damage on a crit is good already - now just imagine it with a plasma shotgun and rapid fire.

Deep Cover vs Untouchable

Yeah, it has to be Untouchable. This is a choice with all the balance of Rapid Reaction vs Heat Ammo from the last XCOM.

Volatile Mix vs Chain Shot

The really good thing about Volatile Mix is that it adds the +2 damage to every tick of the DoT caused by fire, acid and poison grenades. That means it effectively adds +4 damage to those grenades, since aliens will have to eat one hit of burn damage before they get to act. The extra DoT damage is very nice to have against rulers, although it's a bit too late to matter except for the third one.

Killzone vs FaceOff

Clearly a sniper vs gunslinger choice. I will say this for faceoff - try delaying the Shen's Last Gift mission until after you have bluescreen ammo, and take a gunslinger. It completely breaks the mission.

Oh, and as for Talow's nickname: Zer0. He is a shotgun ninja after all.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Ah right right, I think i was missing something in that what beagle was trying to do with killzone was to get a double turn. The overwatch trap spring and then a normal after it. Okay sure i see the value in that, but that probably wasn't intended and being able to move twice on the ai is over powered.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Jade Star posted:

Ah right right, I think i was missing something in that what beagle was trying to do with killzone was to get a double turn. The overwatch trap spring and then a normal after it. Okay sure i see the value in that, but that probably wasn't intended and being able to move twice on the ai is over powered.

Agreed.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Jade Star posted:

Hence the patch that removed this tactic (until, as previously stated, endgame equipment)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

chiasaur11 posted:

He did do editing when he started. Rather a lot of it. Then, to deal with the slower video production as compared to demand, he started doing livestreams, which were a hit. Basically, he was just responding to the market.

Seriously, the early videos were pretty snappy.

Oh yeah, that's why I feel so strongly about his videos. His old stuff was pretty drat good, then he did real time geoscape in EU every video...

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
One thing the "re-enter concealment" ability is very useful for, though I preface this by saying I've only done this once, and I don't know if it was the AI wigging out or if it's just how the AI works:

If your scout is the only one in range of an Alien Ruler, and he re-enters concealment, the Ruler will just sorta... stop doing anything. I did this to the third ruler once, the one we haven't seen yet. I had my ranger vanish, then had the two snipers I (for some reason) had on the mission just start taking shots - he still got ruler reactions, but didn't *do* anything with them, and just burned down (one of the snipers had fire bullets) until he decided "screw this, I'm out" and summoned his gate.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Das_Ubermike posted:

Talow 'Candle' Rosine

I was going to suggest this, so now I'm voting for it.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Talow 'Beef' Rosine

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Deep Cover might have had a use if hunkering down would actually hide you enough to trigger Shadowstrike, but I don't think it does. I haven't actually tested, though; I almost never hunker down anyway.

e: A reminder for Shadowstrike, since I just noticed you actually took it. It doesn't actually say this in the tooltip, but it triggers any time the enemy didn't see you at the start of the action, even if you weren't concealed. This means if you're around a corner, you can get the shadowstrike bonus on a slash attack. I'm pretty sure stepping out and then shooting will lose shadowstrike, though, since that's two actions and you're visible after the move. Another thing that's probably worth testing!

Tendales fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 20, 2016

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Tendales posted:

e: A reminder for Shadowstrike, since I just noticed you actually took it. It doesn't actually say this in the tooltip, but it triggers any time the enemy didn't see you at the start of the action, even if you weren't concealed. This means if you're around a corner, you can get the shadowstrike bonus on a slash attack. I'm pretty sure stepping out and then shooting will lose shadowstrike, though, since that's two actions and you're visible after the move. Another thing that's probably worth testing!

If that's true, then with the way Jade uses snipers, Shadowstrike on a sniper would be extremely good because of the effectively passive +25% aim and crit.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Talow posted:

If that's true, then with the way Jade uses snipers, Shadowstrike on a sniper would be extremely good because of the effectively passive +25% aim and crit.

Probably! I don't think Shadowstrike is on the AWC list, though. Alas.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Thanks to this LP I've bought Xcom 2 on the Xbox, and last night was able to ambush an Advent Captain with the skulljack during the black site mission. Thank you, Jade Star!

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Twelve Elves posted:

Thanks to this LP I've bought Xcom 2 on the Xbox, and last night was able to ambush an Advent Captain with the skulljack during the black site mission. Thank you, Jade Star!

I was planning on grabbing it on PS4, but then I realized that the game doesn't bundle in the DLC and expects you to fork for the DLC (I already grabbed the game during a Steam sale and just added it to my "I'll play it when I actually own a drat PC" list). Jade's LP has made me wary of Alien Hunters, so it'd just be that and Anarchy's Children, but I don't like buying the same thing twice.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The hunters don't show up until you do Vahlen's mission so you could always do what I did and wait till you have tier 3 equipment and utterly clown them with acid, fire, and overwatch shots.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Kurieg posted:

The hunters don't show up until you do Vahlen's mission so you could always do what I did and wait till you have tier 3 equipment and utterly clown them with acid, fire, and overwatch shots.

Plus, they have a set point that they start to run. I think it's one row of health, so once you can do that in one turn they really don't do that much other than show up and run away.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
XCOM 2 is 50% off on the Steam sale right now, with all the DLC marked down 33%.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Aw man, now I have to decide if I am willing to put up with the alien rulers and their lovely awful mechanics in exchange for the sicknasty throwing axes. That said,

Kurieg posted:

this is a possibility, so maybe it won't be that bad!

edit: vv Also true!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Thankfully you have mods to help you bypass the problem.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

CJacobs posted:

Aw man, now I have to decide if I am willing to put up with the alien rulers and their lovely awful mechanics in exchange for the sicknasty throwing axes. That said,

this is a possibility, so maybe it won't be that bad!

edit: vv Also true!

Fun fact: you get the special weapons in an Avenger scanning location, then you can access the Ruler intro mission. So get those axes.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Fun fact: you get the special weapons in an Avenger scanning location, then you can access the Ruler intro mission. So get those axes.

In fact, I did this by accident my first playthrough. I did the scanning part, then when the investigation mission popped up I figured it would be difficult as poo poo, (it's called an Alien Lair, it has to be crazy hard, right?) so I intentionally stayed away. Then I got busy with other stuff and basically forgot it existed for so long that by the time I actually did it, I steamrolled the Viper Nest.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Taking a Colonel Sharpshooter with all the pistol skills, tier 3 weapons, and bluescreen ammo into the Spark mission really makes Julian look even more pompous and deluded. Why yes, I did just kill 10 bots in a single action.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

"Where's my hubris button?"

--Clicks and turns 5 of his squad members into scrap--

"HUBRIS!"

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

I've been watching TheLastRoboKy's LP of "Transformers: Devastation", and the voice actor for Optimus Prime sounds like either the guy who plays Sgt. Tarkus in Dawn of War II, or the guy who plays Optimus Prime in the previously mentioned Transformers game.

I so very badly wish that the Spokesman is actually Optimus Prime. If he just came out with it in public, ADVENT would be smashed to pieces and fired into the sun in a matter of days.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

I so very badly wish that the Spokesman is actually Optimus Prime. If he just came out with it in public, ADVENT would be smashed to pieces and fired into the sun in a matter of days.
I'm not going to lie; it'd be pretty great if after the proper final mission, there was such a reveal and you had one last silly mission where Optimus Prime comes along and helps you stomp all over what's left of the enemy forces.

Julian would be incredibly emasculated.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

I've been watching TheLastRoboKy's LP of "Transformers: Devastation", and the voice actor for Optimus Prime sounds like either the guy who plays Sgt. Tarkus in Dawn of War II, or the guy who plays Optimus Prime in the previously mentioned Transformers game.

Tarkus - Ian Gregory
Spokesman - Jon Bailey
Optimus Prime (in almost all Transformers media) - Peter Cullen

Though Jon Bailey did voice OP for 'Transformers: Combiner Wars'.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The spokesman does have a youtube series.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
So I messed up with OBS again and broadcasted rather than record the next mission so I'll need to go back and do it again.... Oops. Well this is why I don't Ironman for the LP because I gently caress things up like this.

Anyway if you want to see the video that would have been the next update, it's over here - https://www.twitch.tv/sa_jadestar/v/103381873

I'm going back to rerecord so we'll see what goes differently.

I'm sad cause I killed two pods in one turn :(

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
And theres no way you can download the twitch stream?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
He can export it to youtube sure

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Really inefficient roundabout solution: record commentary over that recording while it itself is recorded via screen capture.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Do a retsupurae of you own let's play.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Tombot posted:

And theres no way you can download the twitch stream?

https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/ handles that just fine. I'm downloading the Twitch stream with it right now as I type this comment. It's a command-line program with lots of options, but it has sensible defaults; I just had to type "youtube-dl https://www.twitch.tv/sa_jadestar/v/103381873" and it automatically parsed the page, extracted the stream info, and started downloading it.

You do need 2x as much free space on your hard disk as the size of the final video when you download Twitch streams, because Twitch serves it up in small video+audio fragments of a few seconds long. And youtube-dl will save each fragment to the hard disk (so it can resume quickly if the download gets interrupted), plus it also starts assembling the final video file as each fragment comes in, so that you can start watching right away without having to wait for all the fragments to come in. After the entire file has been assembled, youtube-dl will delete all the fragments -- but when the file is 99.9% downloaded, the total size used on disk will be twice the file size, because each fragment is present twice.

But as long as you have 3-4 gigabytes of free space, youtube-dl is a great option for downloading Twitch streams.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Typically downloading off twitch would give me kind of poor quality footage to work with, Lune has set me up with a really sweet way to get you guys the high quality presentation I want to give. Tax Refund's suggestion sounds pretty nifty and if I was savvy with that I might consider it. Since it was such a short recording session I just loaded up the save and did the mission over again with the same team. No big deal, some slightly different things will happen in the final cut, and everything will be all right.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Jade Star posted:

No big deal, some slightly different things will happen in the final cut, and everything will be all right.
Read as: Half the squad has died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Read as: Half the squad has died.

They knew the risks.

• Locked thread