Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

someone hasn't been reading their psalms and spasms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Mr. Lobe posted:

someone hasn't been reading their psalms and spasms.

Honestly I actively avoid reading this stuff because I feel like a large part of why I enjoy the comic is because I mostly don't have any greater idea what's going on than Alison does. Although sometimes, like with the devil drinking game, not understanding poo poo makes it hard to appreciate the stakes fully.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GunnerJ posted:

Honestly I actively avoid reading this stuff because I feel like a large part of why I enjoy the comic is because I mostly don't have any greater idea what's going on than Alison does. Although sometimes, like with the devil drinking game, not understanding poo poo makes it hard to appreciate the stakes fully.

They honestly don't explain much, they're just really rad stories about a furious dipshit.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yeah if youre not reading the marginalia youre missing out on things like Aesma Tries to Figure Out Marriage (and Fucks Everything Up)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Spiderdrake posted:

That's basically the perfect Aesma response, why you guys gotta ruin it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, seriously

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update, with loads of backstory.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

well, that confirms a bunch

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I cannot wait to read the backstory on how Cio got clowned into being a blue devil.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ElMaligno posted:

I cannot wait to read the backstory on how Cio got clowned into being a blue devil.

I wonder if it could possibly involve our ol' buddy Preem Nand getting that sweet androsphynx body. He's looking much more humanoid here.

Also this is our first look at Himself, the Lord of Devils, or his cage anyway. I really like that there''s a super traditional pointy-horns-and-bat-wings devil on the Heretics' Court.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

GunnerJ posted:

This is just my opinion, but in a comic full of ridiculously :krad: characters, Aesma remains the most :krad: of them all despite not even actually being in the comic and also being a loving moron.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
Has anyone guessed yet that the stolen key opens the gate to Allison's world? I'm not sure how but maybe that's what kicked everything off in this story.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

voting third party posted:

Has anyone guessed yet that the stolen key opens the gate to Allison's world? I'm not sure how but maybe that's what kicked everything off in this story.

Allisons earth is in Mottoms realm.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
How has no one commented on The Heretic's Court yet. If we're talking about :krad: things, I think that takes the cake for this update round.

The only thing I'm sad about is that the number of possible story lines we could follow + the update schedule means this comic won't be done for 2,000 years. Abaddon, is there some amount of money that would let you update 5 days a week? I will pay it.

Edit: It's also nice to see that even at the deepest layers of reality, you can still buy power with gold. Or..... whatever he paid with.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Benson Cunningham posted:

How has no one commented on The Heretic's Court yet. If we're talking about :krad: things, I think that takes the cake for this update round.

The only thing I'm sad about is that the number of possible story lines we could follow + the update schedule means this comic won't be done for 2,000 years. Abaddon, is there some amount of money that would let you update 5 days a week? I will pay it.

Edit: It's also nice to see that even at the deepest layers of reality, you can still buy power with gold. Or..... whatever he paid with.

there's been a buncha buildup and I'm waiting to meet the dude in the coffin :getin:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

voting third party posted:

Allison's key can open and close all gates.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

Allison's key can open and close all gates.

2 different keys. The conquering king gave his key to Allison, but the key Cio stole could definitely be the key to Earth. For all we know, she is the one who went looking for the replacement in the first place (or stole the key for one who was).

In fact, that is almost 100% what happened.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I had actually been thinking that Cio having husband was somehow related to her de-eboning like: some plot fails and as a result she ends up blue and married.

This, no doubt will be much better than my vague, wrong ideas.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

2 different keys. The conquering king gave his key to Allison, but the key Cio stole could definitely be the key to Earth. For all we know, she is the one who went looking for the replacement in the first place (or stole the key for one who was).

To AN Earth? There are many Earths! (There used to be a number, I think in the 700's but Abaddon retconned it)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

2 different keys.

Oh, whoops! That's what I get for ignoring context.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I love this comic because it just drops poo poo like "fractal treasure fortress" and then walks away to explain more pressing matters.

also check out Himself's coffin on this page.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

so... is Mammon going to have a whole hoard of Keys rather than a single key to all 777,777 of his worlds?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ixjuvin posted:

I love this comic because it just drops poo poo like "fractal treasure fortress" and then walks away to explain more pressing matters.

also check out Himself's coffin on this page.

Wanna see a ledger that spans oceans.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

This explains a lot bit more about the devil-naming system. Apparently Yabalchoath is just how us lovely not-Ebons refer to her. The loss-of-names concept isn't really lost.

Malpais Legate fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 19, 2016

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Nope:

Demiurge4 posted:

Allisons earth is in Mottoms realm.

Bell_ posted:

To AN Earth? There are many Earths! (There used to be a number, I think in the 700's but Abaddon retconned it)
There are 330,452 Earths.

NecroMonster posted:

so... is Mammon going to have a whole hoard of Keys rather than a single key to all 777,777 111,111 of his worlds?
The magisters thought Allison might have a key and be acting as an emissary for a demiurge. Between that and Cio stealing a key (which is obviously not going to be the one in Mammon's head), it's safe to say there are still plenty of keys.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I was under the impression that most keys only unlock one doorway, demiurge keys unlock many doorways, and Allison's key, being the master, unlocks them all. Am I wrong?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Allison's key unlocks them all. All the other keys unlock one, and are split seven ways among all the demiurges, some of whom have given them out to trusted servants apparently. Having a key is only one part of what makes the demiurges the demiurges.

At least that is my understanding of it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

paragon1 posted:

Allison's key unlocks them all. All the other keys unlock one, and are split seven ways among all the demiurges, some of whom have given them out to trusted servants apparently. Having a key is only one part of what makes the demiurges the demiurges.

At least that is my understanding of it.

Given the keys are powerful because they contain all the names of God, it seems like it would be possible for there to be duplicate keys, anyway, although the demiurges would probably prefer it if there weren't.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rand Brittain posted:

Given the keys are powerful because they contain all the names of God, it seems like it would be possible for there to be duplicate keys, anyway, although the demiurges would probably prefer it if there weren't.

You need to be a demiurge level being to create them and I don't think multiple keys can be tuned into the same name anyway - seems like every demiurge would have created a bunch of keys for themselves, the reason why the Seven are so powerful is because each of them have 111,111 keys.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

DarkCrawler posted:

You need to be a demiurge level being to create them and I don't think multiple keys can be tuned into the same name anyway - seems like every demiurge would have created a bunch of keys for themselves, the reason why the Seven are so powerful is because each of them have 111,111 keys.

You need to be Zoss, actually, unless he's tutored somebody. He left at least two keys tuned into any given universe and could hypothetically create more if he'd wanted to, but he's sort of dead now and the only other guy who knows the secrets you need to make a key is a giant crazy monster bent on annihilating the cosmos.

The current batch of demiurges isn't capable of making much of anything, and their division of the universe came down to a truce none of them wanted to gently caress with anyway, not one they were unable to gently caress with.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 20, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You need to be Zoss, actually, unless he's tutored somebody. He left at least two keys tuned into any given universe and could hypothetically create more if he'd wanted to, but he's sort of dead now and the only other guy who knows the secrets you need to make a key is a giant crazy monster bent on annihilating the cosmos.

The current batch of demiurges isn't capable of making much of anything, and their division of the universe came down to a truce none of them wanted to gently caress with anyway, not one they were unable to gently caress with.

Yeah, I think it is said somewhere in the Q/A that none of the current demiurges were the original owners of their keys. We know Mammon bought his (what the gently caress is as valuable as an entire universe?!) and Mottom killed Hastet Om and stole his power. Hope we learn how the rest got theirs.

All of the Ebon Devils thus far have awesome looks, reaching angel level weirdness there

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 20, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, I think it is said somewhere in the Q/A that none of the current demiurges were the original owners of their keys. We know Mammon bought his (what the gently caress is as valuable as an entire universe?!)

I suspect he funded the other Six and enabled them.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

DarkCrawler posted:

(what the gently caress is as valuable as an entire universe?!)

I dunno. True love?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MikeJF posted:

I suspect he funded the other Six and enabled them.

I doubt it, I Abbadon said they all have tragic backstories that factor into how they got their power. We already heard Mottom's...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just noticed he has prints up for sale now.

I'm sorely tempted to get some big ones. I loving love the art in this comic.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Cio probably stole Preem Nand's nipple bling for him too. The devil courts looks great, I bet that little one in the center is badass.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Nope:

There are 330,452 Earths.

The magisters thought Allison might have a key and be acting as an emissary for a demiurge. Between that and Cio stealing a key (which is obviously not going to be the one in Mammon's head), it's safe to say there are still plenty of keys.

I really don't understand how anything you pasted refutes the possibility that Cio stole the key that unlocks Allison's earth. I could just be dense or have low reading comprehension though.

Edit: WOOPS Mottom and Mammon look really similar. I get it now. Would have been a really neat way to tie it together.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 20, 2016

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

ConfusedUs posted:

I just noticed he has prints up for sale now.

I'm sorely tempted to get some big ones. I loving love the art in this comic.

quote:

$12.80 $16.00
YOU SAVE
50%

uh

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

I doubt it, I Abbadon said they all have tragic backstories that factor into how they got their power. We already heard Mottom's...

Mottom's backstory is how she got her start in power, I mean I expect he funded the campaign taking the Seven from a small pact to winning the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

there are 777,778 worlds... thank you.

Because Zoss never made a duplicate to his home world (allison's earth) because he was that kind of rear end in a top hat, and then made it very clear there were 777777 keys/worlds to confuse things and keep it lost in the shuffle.