Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Cowwan posted:

Cool, thanks.

Semi-related, looking at these chapter numbers I'm probably going to pick up the manga after the show runs it's course.

You're definitely gonna want to! I still don't really know where this show will leave off but a LOT happens that you're going to want to find out about if you're really into it and up for reading some manga.

Today's ED was just too much. Too much! It was adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah there's some much :drat: stuff later on that I do hope more seasons get made, but if not, that's fine too.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

When does Shimada come in? Shimada is awesome. I hope this season covers some more about Souya, too, but the manga doesn't really flesh him out till waaaay later.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I don't suppose there's any chance of a 2nd season? I'll really miss this show when it's gone.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i wouldn't say its impossible, but general convention is on the side of one season

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Was that piano track Big Big World???? Because that would be weird but it really sounded like it.

Edit: It's at the part where Baseball-boy is talking about regrets.

Cake Attack posted:

i wouldn't say its impossible, but general convention is on the side of one season

That is a tragedy!

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 20, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Coaaab posted:

Today's ED was so good, but god drat CR for not subbing it

This is usually because they have the right to reproduce/play the song, but not to create derivative works like a translation of the song, the song being a separate work from the episode.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Paracelsus posted:

This is usually because they have the right to reproduce/play the song, but not to create derivative works like a translation of the song, the song being a separate work from the episode.
I'm sure they'll continue the chapter to explain each shogi piece and how each one moves, but just imagine if the show only explained it through song and no translation was allowed even though the lyrics had a narrative purpose

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The cat shogi ending was amazing, my wife melted from the cuteness. I had to download a sub to get the translated lyrics though since Crunchyroll doesn't have them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks like no new ep this week.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Oh, yeah. Sorry, I honestly thought I posted here last week to say that I read that there wouldn't be one this week but clearly I forgot. :cry:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Oh, yeah. Sorry, I honestly thought I posted here last week to say that I read that there wouldn't be one this week but clearly I forgot. :cry:

This is an outrage!

I'm genuinely upset by this, I guess this show really has me by the balls.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

These are adorable

https://twitter.com/aniplex_plus/status/802528378834194432

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is crunchy only offering the new episode in standard definition for anyone else?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes it takes an hour or two for every version of an episode to be available on CR.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Man, Kyouko is kinda scary.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

StandardVC10 posted:

Man, Kyouko is kinda scary.

she is the only character i really don't like and i don't want to see her.

rei has enough problems without this cruel girl coming by to stick a knife in him just for the fun of it.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Xinder posted:

she is the only character i really don't like and i don't want to see her.

rei has enough problems without this cruel girl coming by to stick a knife in him just for the fun of it.

It's clearly cruelty born of deep pain. Some part of her still believes that Rei stole her father's love, and stole her future.

Note that super blatant juxtaposition: She chastises Rei that their father would be overjoyed to have him home...then says she hasn't been home much herself. The implication being that her father doesn't care if she's home or not. Or at least, so she believes.

Like, that doesn't excuse her vindictiveness, but she's so pitiful that I can't hate her.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think I'd call it my favorite thing about Lion or anything but the relationship between Rei and Kyouko is very complex and extremely well told.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

CryingAthena posted:

If that cat shogi book is based on a real thing I need it in my life! :kimchi:

I was thinking the same thing, but it doesn't seem like it's a real thing (yet).

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
It didn't really hit me until I watched the song in this episode, but Rei's step-siblings are named after shougi pawns:

Kyouko = 香子 :: 香車 = kyousha
Ayumu = 歩 :: 歩兵 = fuhyou

Bit late to notice after 12 volumes of the manga, but oh well. Maybe I just forgot. Yeah, that must be it.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

darkgray posted:

It didn't really hit me until I watched the song in this episode, but Rei's step-siblings are named after shougi pawns:

Kyouko = 香子 :: 香車 = kyousha
Ayumu = 歩 :: 歩兵 = fuhyou

Bit late to notice after 12 volumes of the manga, but oh well. Maybe I just forgot. Yeah, that must be it.

You mean shougi pieces

香車 = lance
歩兵 = pawn

But nice catch, thanks for sharing it!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Symbolic Butt posted:

You mean shougi pieces

Right. Not entirely familiar with English terms for board game pieces. "Pawn" was the first word that popped up when thinking of little tokens you move around in games.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This show is really good. Kyouko seems like a pretty bad and troubled lady, I can't see this ending well for either party. :smith:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Everything about that ending Kyouko scene was brilliant, holy poo poo

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I'm glad the shogi explanation got expanded on, it was both cute and nice information to have. Kyouko is definitely trouble, but everything about that segment was amazing.

Turns out this is going to be two cours, I was expecting one. This is a welcome surprise.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Honey & Clover got two seasons, so I'm hoping this gets two seasons, too. There's a lot of the manga to cover.

Akari continues to be perfect. :allears:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
In which Rei grows in his ability to give empathy to those around him. The stories of the peripheral characters are some of my favorite parts of this series.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AnacondaHL posted:

Everything about that ending Kyouko scene was brilliant, holy poo poo

Can you explain, perhaps its because I've been sick with the flu when I've been watching this and the last episode, but what exactly is going on with Kyouko when she visits Rei?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Can you explain, perhaps its because I've been sick with the flu when I've been watching this and the last episode, but what exactly is going on with Kyouko when she visits Rei?

While on the surface it looked like she was just being a super bitch sister, I felt there was more nuance. It was all of her minor yet complex characterization regurgitated into one scene.

When we last saw her character it was the story of how her dad made her quit Shogi because she wasn't good enough to beat Rei, and this scene showed how all those feelings of resentment and jealousy and blame (yet simultaneously knowing that Rei wasn't to blame) developed afterwards. She still wants to be a caring older sister, yet can't help but throw in sarcastic and snide comments here and there. And despite all that and not seeing each other in a while and not really understanding each other, they both are at least making that (obligatory) sibling effort to try.

It's just a great interaction between the two, topped off stylistically with SHAFT being SHAFT.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
ngl i got some satisfaction out of rei calling her and telling her that guy wasn't going to retire then hanging up

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

AnacondaHL posted:

She still wants to be a caring older sister, yet can't help but throw in sarcastic and snide comments here and there.

I sorta disagree but I'm actually not caught up on the latest episode so I don't know what would constitute a manga spoiler or not. If my internet isn't 100% then streaming from crunchyroll is an absolute impossibility, so I'll have to wait to watch. :gonk:

That relationship is a super complicated thing and I can hash out my thoughts later on, though it's a thing that's vague enough in the manga to be interpreted a lot of different ways so I don't mean to imply that your thoughts are invalid or anything.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I sorta disagree but I'm actually not caught up on the latest episode so I don't know what would constitute a manga spoiler or not. If my internet isn't 100% then streaming from crunchyroll is an absolute impossibility, so I'll have to wait to watch. :gonk:

That relationship is a super complicated thing and I can hash out my thoughts later on, though it's a thing that's vague enough in the manga to be interpreted a lot of different ways so I don't mean to imply that your thoughts are invalid or anything.

I hear ya. I should have qualified that with an "it's very likely she wants to be a caring older sister" since I'm only like 70% sure of that as part of her character. The latest episode (09) makes it seem more like she's really trying to get him to see or experience or understand that the absentminded stuff he does can negatively affect the relationships around him, notably and foremost, her. This could be a misguided attempt at helping or just a typical character flaw.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

AnacondaHL posted:

I hear ya. I should have qualified that with an "it's very likely she wants to be a caring older sister" since I'm only like 70% sure of that as part of her character. The latest episode (09) makes it seem more like she's really trying to get him to see or experience or understand that the absentminded stuff he does can negatively affect the relationships around him, notably and foremost, her. This could be a misguided attempt at helping or just a typical character flaw.
Yeah, I don't think that's what's going on. I think what you see as maybe wanting to be a caring older sister is actually just an attempt at using some hosed up emotional manipulation tactics to throw Rei off his game on the eve of an important match. It might have worked, too, if she hadn't miscalculated the personalities of both Rei and Matsunaga. She's basically the polar opposite of Harunobu.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I think that Kyouko is at least somewhat malicious in episode 8, or rather she's taking a bit of petty revenge for the way that Rei's presence in her family essentially stole a lot of her father's affection away. We've already seen that Rei feels guilty about it, he even left home to live alone because of those feelings, and I think Kyouko knows that. Being a rather petty person, and despite probably understanding that her situation isn't actually Rei's fault (he was just a sad kid being himself, nothing more), she comes over and takes advantage of his unwarranted feelings of guilt towards her. She imposes, she stays over, she reminds him of what he did to her family life, she taunts him about his next match opponent being a pitiful old man, and she leaves.

Maybe somewhere behind that front is a sister checking on her little brother who has left home to live all alone in a different town, but if so she hides it well behind layers of cool sarcasm.

Everything else that I would want to say is just manga spoilers, so instead of doing that I'll just say that this adaptation continues to be everything I hoped for, and Matsunaga is a cutie ojii-san.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised that nobody's brought up the seemingly romantic aspects of Rei and Kyouko's relationship. Like, there was that very brief flash back a couple of episodes ago where she was taking off his glasses while on top of him in his bed. Or how she wrapped herself in his new futon and mentioned how it doesn't smell like him yet. Or how she was crouched down in front of him and touching and examining his face. With lots of things yet to be explained, it's like they're skirting this complicated line between romance, intimate brother/sisterly relationship, and the abuse that's already been portrayed.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Uhhh, I'm pretty sure that was brought up, and that that was probably rape

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, I just finished (caught up on?) the manga, and its GOOD STUFF.

I do have one question. What's up with the name? It feels like its a pun but I don't know Japanese.

FAKE EDIT: never mind, I double checked the thread and saw the answer.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

New, longer live-action adaptation trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE2y8wvF34g

CONTAINS MILD SPOILERS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

heavy episode, that last one

• Locked thread