Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Royals signed Drew Butera for two years, somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/roster-size-active-september-call-ups-relievers-pace-of-play-rob-manfred-cba-owners-ken-rosenthal-111716

The latest rumor to leak out of the CBA negotiations is that teams might get a 26th roster spot next year, something the union has been pushing for a while now - in exchange for drastically limiting September callups. Rosenthal says rosters might expand to only 28 in the final month, instead of letting everyone on the 40-man come up

So basically Bochy gets an extra reliever to play matchups with all year, but he can't really go nuts in September anymore :haw: Seriously though, September callups own, don't get rid of them please.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Just two extra players in September is kind of lame though

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

tadashi posted:

Twins have outrighted Trevor Plouffe. :fuckoff: I hope this means the new front office is going to burn the shack they inherited to the ground and lay the foundation for something new. It's going to be a weird off-season in Minneapolis. They've got a few pieces but literally all they've got is a few pieces.

The depressing part is they probably could have traded him for something of value last offseason but nope, let's move Sano into the outfield instead. :downs:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Beltre is going to get 3,000 next year. Pujols is going to get 3,000 in the beginning of 2018 (unless he reverts to a machine and gets it at the end of next year). Beltran is 380 hits short and a 40 year old free agent. Cabrera and Cano are the next two "locks" to get 3,000 hits if they stay healthy.

Albert's almost certainly getting to 600 HR next year and to 2000 RBI sometime in 2018.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Intruder posted:

I defied my wife tonight

By eating a half pound of sugar free gummi bears she told me absolutely not to eat more than three or four a day of

Kill me
Were these the sugar free Haribo? Those have the best reviews on Amazon. :colbert:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Other baseball stats:

Beltre is going to get 3,000 next year. Pujols is going to get 3,000 in the beginning of 2018 (unless he reverts to a machine and gets it at the end of next year). Beltran is 380 hits short and a 40 year old free agent. Cabrera and Cano are the next two "locks" to get 3,000 hits if they stay healthy.

Cabrera and Cano are gonna be interesting. Cabrera should be an absolute lock, he's 481 away and insanely consistent so should make it late 2019/early 2020. Cano is less certain, he's 790 away so he'll need to be productive for 5/7 of his remaining seasons (though I expect if he gets close he'll get enough playing time to make it). I don't know who's going to be next after those guys though, it might not happen again until Trout.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Another edit: God drat Cabrera has gotten an MVP vote every single year he has played baseball my god.

Somehow including his debut season in which he hit .268/.325/.468 over 87 games. Since then he's never had an OPS+ below 130 :wtf:

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 19, 2016

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

Cabrera and Cano are gonna be interesting. Cabrera should be an absolute lock, he's 481 away and insanely consistent so should make it late 2019/early 2020. Cano is less certain, he's 790 away so he'll need to be productive for 5/7 of his remaining seasons (though I expect if he gets close he'll get enough playing time to make it). I don't know who's going to be next after those guys though, it might not happen again until Trout.

Altuve

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I was really hoping the Cubs would have picked up Cashner for like $6-7MM and let Bosio work his magic on him in the long relief/spot start role or maybe try to convert him to an 8th/9th inning guy but then I remembered how shallow the SP pool is this year and 10MM from Texas seems about right

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

He's 2000 hits away lmao. That's not how 'locks' work.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's 2000 hits away lmao. That's not how 'locks' work.

The question was if somebody's going to do it before Trout (after Cano/Cabrera/Beltre/Pujols/Beltran), and Trout is further away than Altuve

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Poque posted:

The question was if somebody's going to do it before Trout (after Cano/Cabrera/Beltre/Pujols/Beltran), and Trout is further away than Altuve

Ya thats what I was responding to.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Cardinals just gave Brett Cecil 4 years and $30M+. :stare:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He's really really good, doesn't cost a draft pick and probably the best reliever on the market after chapman/jansen/melancon.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

The only lefty in the Jays bullpen is Aaron Loup lol.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
https://twitter.com/EireannDolan/status/800005373247836161

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Dale Ouise posted:

The only lefty in the Jays bullpen is Aaron Loup lol.

Yeah. Atkins/Shapiro gonna have to find a solution here.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

drat zack duke gettting hurt made that happen

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
If Brett Cecil thought the Jays fans were too mean then hoooo boy.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Mattdormedysmullet.jpg

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Hand Knit posted:

Between the lack of lefties and a tentative outfield of Upton/Pillar/Carrera AND a 1B/DH of Morales/Smoak, a single bead of sweat is starting to drop from my brow.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I wouldn't worry, Atkins said he hasn't ruled out re-signing Saunders, so everything is fine. :v:

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

Between the lack of lefties and a tentative outfield of Upton/Pillar/Carrera AND a 1B/DH of Morales/Smoak, a single bead of sweat is starting to drop from my brow.

:canada:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Astros have outrighted Jon Singleton

Their blackmail on him backfired

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Twin Cinema posted:

The WS window has closed, but 2017 should be an interesting season if only to answer the question "how far can Donaldson carry the team single-handedly?"

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

So the White Sox are having a fire sale, and Detroit is looking to ship out some high-priced vets to cut payroll? AL Central is gonna be real bad next year. Tigers should get a nice haul for Kinsler and JD Martinez at least, if they really intend to trade them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sounds like they are trying to get the Dodgers to give them Bellinger for Kinsler

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Much like the Angels and Mike Trout, I don't see a scenario where the Sox can trade Chris Sale and not come out feeling ripped off.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

It sounds like the Cubs aren't really pushing to re-sign Chapman (thank god) or really pursuing after Jensen, so I wonder if they'll go back to having Rondon as the closer next year, or will try out Edwards?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Pussy Boss posted:

AL Central is gonna be real bad next year.

At least the Royals have Drew Butera.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

shadok posted:

The WS window has closed, but 2017 should be an interesting season if only to answer the question "how far can Donaldson carry the team single-handedly?"

They have a good chance to have one of if not the best rotation in baseball next year. The WS window shouldn't be closing this year, but if Atkins/Shapiro aren't going to replace Bats/Edwin/Cecil they should go ahead and trade Happ/Estrada.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SourKraut posted:

It sounds like the Cubs aren't really pushing to re-sign Chapman (thank god) or really pursuing after Jensen, so I wonder if they'll go back to having Rondon as the closer next year, or will try out Edwards?

Sounds right, Theo has never been one to put a bunch of money into the bullpen. And $80m+ to Chapman is too risky considering once his fastball starts to go, so does he.

Rondon was actually really good most of the year. I think that forearm injury messed him up and he was just never right coming back from it. I'd still feel better if they could bring in a nice setup man somehow but there are always bullpen arms available at the deadline.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
N: Tokyo fluff morning news show "Zip" had a Otani talk this on this morning. They were asking the local Hokkaido fans what they thought if Otani were to go to the MLB. It was very scientific they asked ten 20 something attractive girls 3 Questions.

1- Should he go to the MLB? 70% said yes

2- What position should He play? Most said Pitching, 2 said both and 2 said outfield.

3- What message would you give him? The Girl who they highlighted for this question said he should "Gambate" (頑張って)in the MLB. Meaning try your best, or a cheer for success.

V: :getin:

He and his team have until Feb 1 to inform the commissioner of his intent to be posted. And He would make crazy money in this market. Right?

also this morning show is cheese cake as hell look at their reporters

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Much like the Angels and Mike Trout, I don't see a scenario where the Sox can trade Chris Sale and not come out feeling ripped off.
ESPN's usual offseason trade article bullshit proposed Sale + Robertson for Puig + 3 of the Dodger's top 5 prospects (rated by MLB Pipeline).

Personally I think you'd be lucky to get just Sale for that package. This same article recommended Cleveland trade for Cutch though, which wouldn't exactly fix our centerfield defense.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

They have a good chance to have one of if not the best rotation in baseball next year.

...really? Happ, Sanchez and Estrada all had ERAs more than 50 points under their FIPs this season, I'm not sure I'd bet on them being able to do that again next year. Plus now Dickey's gone they need a #5 and this is a terrible free agent class for starters.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

Sounds right, Theo has never been one to put a bunch of money into the bullpen. And $80m+ to Chapman is too risky considering once his fastball starts to go, so does he.

Rondon was actually really good most of the year. I think that forearm injury messed him up and he was just never right coming back from it. I'd still feel better if they could bring in a nice setup man somehow but there are always bullpen arms available at the deadline.

Yeah Rondon was arguably right up there with Jansen/Chapman/Britton in terms of dominance to start the year. He didn't walk a single batter in his first 14 appearances/13 IP, and around early May I remember a story about how he was pitching so well (across an admittedly small sample) that he broke the FIP formula such that he was posting a negative FIP. Then the injuries cropped up and he just never got back on the wagon. I don't think there's harm in giving him another shot, particularly if it saves the Cubs $80-100m the year before we're going to lose Lackey & Arrieta. Meanwhile make Edwards a permanent bullpen fixture and hand the 7/8/9 innings to Strop/Edwards/Rondon respectively, and if Rondon is still blowing chunks give Edwards a whirl.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

...really? Happ, Sanchez and Estrada all had ERAs more than 50 points under their FIPs this season, I'm not sure I'd bet on them being able to do that again next year. Plus now Dickey's gone they need a #5 and this is a terrible free agent class for starters.

I'm sure Shapiro and a Rogers exec will check at Costco for a new pitcher.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like the Royals position with greinke a few years ago was comparable to sale and the sox; the Royals really made the most of that trade even if it seemed a bit lopsided at the time. surely some team out there could offer a decent package for sale?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Sydin posted:

Yeah Rondon was arguably right up there with Jansen/Chapman/Britton in terms of dominance to start the year. He didn't walk a single batter in his first 14 appearances/13 IP, and around early May I remember a story about how he was pitching so well (across an admittedly small sample) that he broke the FIP formula such that he was posting a negative FIP. Then the injuries cropped up and he just never got back on the wagon. I don't think there's harm in giving him another shot, particularly if it saves the Cubs $80-100m the year before we're going to lose Lackey & Arrieta. Meanwhile make Edwards a permanent bullpen fixture and hand the 7/8/9 innings to Strop/Edwards/Rondon respectively, and if Rondon is still blowing chunks give Edwards a whirl.

Even if Chapman could keep it up, I want him off the team. I was just hoping they'd look heavily at Jansen, but I'd be ok with Rondon getting another shot while Edwards is now a permanent member of the bullpen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

Liriano will be the #5, no? Sanchez Estrada Happ Stroman Liriano? He should do better than Dickey did last season I would hope.
I also think Stroman will have a better year than last and wouldn't be surprised if Sanchez did too. Estrada and Happ might regress but I could see them being around as effective as they were this year. Who knows though.

• Locked thread