Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Non-lethal tip: Addermire has loads of chloroform bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I restarted as Emily and I'm glad to discover that guards killing themselves through complete stupidity doesn't count against you.

Like say, they get alerted and one kicks open a dumpster of bloodflies searching for you and dies, and then half of the map clowncars into that cloud of bloodflies and dies before the remaining 1-2 guards kill them.

I was halfway into looting the doctor's office in The Edge of the World when I hear:

"I'll find you!" *clunk*
"Bloodflies! YEARRRRGGGGHHH! AUGGHHH!"
"What's going on her~bloodflies! YARRGHHHH!"
"One of us is down~YARRGGGGHHH"
"Bloodflies...what a horrible way to g~ARRGHHHHH!"

I should've taken a screenshot.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any tips for taking out Clockwork Soldiers stealthily? I don't have much problem taking them out with grenades and stuff but doing it without making much noise could be an issue.

EDIT: Also what are the plaques for? I hope I don't need to get them all for something because one glitched out and wouldn't let me pick it up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone try taking out Paolo when you first run into him in the black market?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just got to the last mission, this game is at least as good as the first one.

Far Reach seems really janky compared to blink, though, I still have trouble aiming it and sometimes fall off targeted platforms.

I sort of wish there hadn't been a third way in the dust district level, forcing you to choose one of the options seems more fitting somehow.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, he turns into rats. You can find a hint that this will happen elsewhere in the level.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Fabricated posted:

I restarted as Emily and I'm glad to discover that guards killing themselves through complete stupidity doesn't count against you.

Like say, they get alerted and one kicks open a dumpster of bloodflies searching for you and dies, and then half of the map clowncars into that cloud of bloodflies and dies before the remaining 1-2 guards kill them.

I was halfway into looting the doctor's office in The Edge of the World when I hear:

"I'll find you!" *clunk*
"Bloodflies! YEARRRRGGGGHHH! AUGGHHH!"
"What's going on her~bloodflies! YARRGHHHH!"
"One of us is down~YARRGGGGHHH"
"Bloodflies...what a horrible way to g~ARRGHHHHH!"

I should've taken a screenshot.

Nah, it's much funnier for me to imagine it. I love these kinds of stupid poo poo in otherwise excellent games.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

RatHat posted:

Any tips for taking out Clockwork Soldiers stealthily? I don't have much problem taking them out with grenades and stuff but doing it without making much noise could be an issue.

EDIT: Also what are the plaques for? I hope I don't need to get them all for something because one glitched out and wouldn't let me pick it up.

Upgraded stun mines. Or arrows to the head to blind them but be careful if you're doing a non-kills run and there are guards nearby because it'll just attack everyone that makes a sound.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Just started my Low Chaos run,and I've been enjoying the game so far. Just 2 questions:1. How do you kick dudes in the joy department? 2.Any tips to improve framerate,etc.? Game runs kinda rear end. I'm running an Intel 17-4790 and a GTX 970,for reference.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'm going to enjoy having powers my next run. Climbing was so loving frustrating without something like blink, or even agility.

And to think I'd get a neat slide about not giving into temptation and rejecting the easy way in the epilogue. It was all for nothing. :negative:

The one person I know who is playing this game was doing this on the first run while also trying to ghost the game, partially for the same reason as you. And I had to persuade him really hard not to. He was up to the streets outside the Clockwork Mansion.

I think I persuaded him to do it by saying the main mansion is impossible to ghost without powers, and it ruins the coolness of the level to do it that way the first time.

(And just from finishing the game I said that there's nothing in the ending about it, so it's good to get confirmation from you about it.)

The other part of it is that most of the bloodfly areas of the game have flammable objects all around for you to use against the nests.

The two witches in the basement of the royal conservatory managed to set themselves on fire and get eaten by bloodflies while I was just sitting there on top of a bookshelf. The ones who complain about "why do we have to have these things around?".

The dead body at the beginning of the bloodfly section in Addermire would always spontaneously burst into flames after I blinked past it across the room. I guess from one of the flammable bottles near it getting disturbed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ragingsheep posted:

Upgraded stun mines. Or arrows to the head to blind them but be careful if you're doing a non-kills run and there are guards nearby because it'll just attack everyone that makes a sound.

Yeah looks good for killing pairs of Clockwork soldiers though.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

loving this game.

just finished stilson's manor. great level, but actually i think the highlight for me has been the royal conservatory: the ominous organ music in the background is at its most arch and campy, the gradual ramp-up of the witches doing crazy lovecraftian portal poo poo in a massive library, all the bodies, the overwhelming amount of supernatural poo poo. plus the usual great building design

fantastic !

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Item Getter posted:

I think I persuaded him to do it by saying the main mansion is impossible to ghost without powers, and it ruins the coolness of the level to do it that way the first time.

I don't think that's true? You can still ghost it even if you do it the normal way, you just won't get the special achievement for never cluing Jindosh to your presence.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't understand how that's possible. Don't you have to pull the first lever to progress in the level?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
End game question - Is it possible to leave Corvo frozen in stone? I remember reading it somewhere but couldn't find that option when I finished the game.

RatHat posted:

I don't understand how that's possible. Don't you have to pull the first lever to progress in the level?

Not if you have blink/far reach.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

If you pull the first lever and figure a way out of that area (I couldn't) Jindosh thinks its just a glitch in one of the switches.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Anti-Hero posted:

I just finished the game non-lethal and when placing Delilah on the throne the journal gives a "not-completed" mark in the log for finding another way to eliminate her. I thought the corrupted rune/trap in the painting approach was the only non-lethal solution?

Had the same problem. Looks like you have to put the corrupted rune on the throne before knocking her out, or the mission step about knocking her out won't properly fire and it will just keep saying to place her on the throne.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

Just started my Low Chaos run,and I've been enjoying the game so far. Just 2 questions:1. How do you kick dudes in the joy department? 2.Any tips to improve framerate,etc.? Game runs kinda rear end. I'm running an Intel 17-4790 and a GTX 970,for reference.

Get the latest nvidia drivers (375.95 I think?)

Open the nvidia control panel, find dishonored 2, and set "max prerendered frames" to 1.

Opt in to the betapatch on steam.

Turn off volumetric lighting and HBAO.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RatHat posted:

Someone mentioned stun mines, of which there are plenty in the level. Also, you can just avoid them. The have, like, zero peripheral vision and their hearing is terrible. There's also only two or three in the entire level that you're forced to deal with, the rest will stay asleep unless you do something to trigger them.

As for the plagues, there's an achievement for picking up three of them and you probably couldn't pick that one up because it was underneath some of robo-parts the Soldiers leave behind when they die. Try whacking the part pile with your sword a few times, that usually dislodges enough stuff to uncover the plague.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ragingsheep posted:

End game question - Is it possible to leave Corvo frozen in stone? I remember reading it somewhere but couldn't find that option when I finished the game.

You can, yes. Just wait a while or attack the statue Emily/Corvo, then sit on the throne without interacting with them.

RatHat posted:

No. The skylight right above you in the previous room is fake and leads to the inner walls. :ssh:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

No. The skylight right above you in the previous room is fake and leads to the inner walls. :ssh:

o poo poo

i am glad they confirmed a NG+. i would have done it anyways, though

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Another good way to kill clockwork soldiers is with springrazors.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In mission 4 I went out the skylight, but then talked to jindosh through the glass. He still didn't talk to me on the speakers and I got the achievement for never alerting him. Pulled every lever and pushed every button I found in the level after that, and was detected thirty times. So apparently just going out that skylight is all that's required for it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought stun mines just disabled clockworks for a few seconds?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No they kill them. You might need the +1 charge upgrade for one mine to be enough though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought stun mines just disabled clockworks for a few seconds?

Three-ish shocks will explode one. :science:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Digirat posted:

No they kill them. You might need the +1 charge upgrade for one mine to be enough though.

I managed to arrow a clockwork's head off, dominoed two enemies, got them to fight it, slapped a upgraded charge mine on the ground while it was fighting them, and then smacked the floor with my sword and it zapped itself right in the clockwork junk.

This is a Very Fun video game :haw:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Another good way to kill clockwork soldiers is with springrazors.

Yeah this. It's still not very stealthy (more so than grenades at least) but springrazors one-shot them through armour.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

veni veni veni posted:

Yep, I used my Immolate bolts - he did a little dance before turning into rats :3:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
On my second run through with Corvo doing the murdering thing I blinded one of the clockwork dicks near the main hall of Jindosh's mansion. That thing loving murdered every guard on that level along with the two rich people in the waiting room. Corpses everywhere.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

You can, yes. Just wait a while or attack the statue Emily/Corvo, then sit on the throne without interacting with them.

afaik this is only an option if you reach the end of the game with High Chaos. I think the option isn't present at all if you end it with Low.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

oh well, it'll j u st kil l ttthem aa llll lll

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Relentlessboredomm posted:

On my second run through with Corvo doing the murdering thing I blinded one of the clockwork dicks near the main hall of Jindosh's mansion. That thing loving murdered every guard on that level along with the two rich people in the waiting room. Corpses everywhere.

"Hmmmm okay, the machine is registering.... uncertainty....."

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Jerusalem posted:

"Hmmmm okay, the machine is registering.... uncertainty....."

The creepy voices on those things are the best part.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Relentlessboredomm posted:

The creepy voices on those things are the best part.

Thief 2's creepy robot voices were better :colbert:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I like how a good chunk of them sound exactly like novice programming print-to-console debugging. I suppose they are a bit more verbose, reasonably so since the auditory system may take less effort than typing it out.

Especially given those weird semi-spherical typewriters they use. How the heck are those supposed to be functional?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I could swear the clockworks are voiced by the person that did HK-47 but IMDB disagrees.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

Thief 2's creepy robot voices were better :colbert:

"Praise to Words of Karras... and the Builder"

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

GUI posted:

afaik this is only an option if you reach the end of the game with High Chaos. I think the option isn't present at all if you end it with Low.

This explains things.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

On mission 8 if I go near a certain conversation it will predictably kill 2 random boat workers I knocked out way back at the beginning of the level, no matter where I put them, for no explainable reason. Good poo poo. This is why I am never trying to get clean hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Don't knock 'em out. They're just boat workers.

• Locked thread