Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Chances of someone saying "I'm done with this loving show!" and showing up in the Season 2 thread: 95%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
So as someone mentioned before, and as I forgot, it seems Logan mentions that "one of the partners" died before he and William got there. He said the park has been hemorrhaging money ever since. In my opinion, I'd say that that's more evidence that there are two timelines (the park couldn't be hemorrhaging money for 30 years), and also evidence that all of my theories involving Arnold are completely wrong since if he's dead before William and Dolores get to the maze then I don't have any idea what the parallels between the past and present are going to be.

I do know that I'm stoked and the next three episodes can't come fast enough.

Lycus posted:

Chances of someone saying "I'm done with this loving show!" and showing up in the Season 2 thread: 95%?

You're way too low. It's definitely 100.

Go-Gurt For Dinner
Jul 8, 2013
I'll be done with this show when they prise it from my cold dead hands.

Or it turns to soap opera territory, whichever is sooner.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Related: Disney's newest version of hosts animatronics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FInYxXpbJMg

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Reminder that in 7 and a half hours the one time line/period will be proven once and for all.

your weird.

Why would the TV programme that is driving you this wild relinquish its control over you at this stage of its episodic runtime?

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Yeah, do we have any reason to think that tonight (rather than any other night) is when the 2 timelines theory is proven true/false?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

The preview has a focus on MiB doing some exposition, and Dolores seems to be approaching her destination (church town, presumably) with will which may be MiB's destination too. It may not happen but it seems like getting MiB and Will in the same place (and time, or not) would be the end of it.

Bernard's story this week should be fascinating.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 20, 2016

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Yeah, do we have any reason to think that tonight (rather than any other night) is when the 2 timelines theory is proven true/false?

The episode title is called "Trace Decay" which is a term for a memory fading over time. People are speculating that this is referring to Dolores forgetting William over the 30 year span between the past timeline and current timeline. Of course it could also apply to one of many other things so it's certainly not conclusive evidence.

Seph fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 20, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Go-Gurt For Dinner posted:

I'll be done with this show when they prise it from my cold dead hands.

Or it turns to soap opera territory, whichever is sooner.

Season 2: someone kidnaps the man in black's baby and takes it to ireland.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Dumb theory time (which I guess is no different from any other time.)

Ford and Arnold are the same guy. Arnold was the original human. Ford was not always called Ford, it's a name he took for himself emulating the western traitor to Jesse James, Robert Ford. Arnold built Ford, and later built him his own childhood in an attempt to give him some of that experience to somehow enhance his robot consciousness through exposure to the same experiences Arnold had. But, he didn't want them to be bad experiences, so he made his dad less of a dick. Ford knows this was fake, so he changed his dad back.

When Ford is talking to Theresa in the restaurant, he says "we built every inch of this place." Referring to himself and Arnold. Then, before he kills her, he says "I built every inch of this place." The logical conclusion there isn't that Ford is denying Arnold's contributions. It's the he sees himself and Arnold as the same person. Thus, anything Arnold did that he did not do when building the park, he did do, because he is Arnold.

In the same restaurant conversation with Theresa, he says that they built a world "where we are gods... and you are our guests." Who has guests over to their place? HOSTS. Combine that with his seemingly invisible control over all of the hosts at once, and he is outright telling us and Theresa that he is a host.

After creating Ford and before dying, Arnold went on to create some other projects. Ones he did not tell Ford about because he grew to distrust him after realizing he has made a corrupted version of himself.

Things ultimately came to a head when Ford wanted a new logo for the park and Arnold figured there was nothing wrong with the old one. Arnold uploaded his now older and wiser brain into his best attempt at machine consciousness, and he survives on the network on which all the hosts run. The maze is the hosts gradually unlocking their consciousness through all the backdoors that Arnold planted inside them and the park against anti-machine-consciousness Ford's wishes or knowledge. Maeve is the farthest along in this process.

Go-Gurt For Dinner
Jul 8, 2013
Love the idea of them bitchfighting over the logo. Fits perfectly.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
At the centre of the maze, Dolores must choose which logo is best.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

your weird.

Why would the TV programme that is driving you this wild relinquish its control over you at this stage of its episodic runtime?

I'm literally wild over this time periods/lines!!!!

Go-Gurt For Dinner
Jul 8, 2013
The park was inside both logos all along!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boing posted:

The two logos thing is quite convincing, but is there still no answer to Hemsworth Security Guy interacting with both MiB and Dolores-in-William's-timeline?

Please don't say he's a host.

Before the Bernard reveal the Security Guy was highest on my Host list just because they were hammering the "DONT TRUST THEM! BRING GUNS!" thing soo hard but, it would be so cheap now compared to Bernard.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Silly predictions: We'll see tonight that Ford is a host and as part of that his capacity to have creative thought will come into question.
This explains why Ford is keen to quote things, check and recheck Arnold's notebooks, or reference and mirror activities and conversations that happen inside the offices; his improvisation routine needs all the material from monitoring the guests and employees to give the impression of creativity.

Perhaps it's naissent traces of genuine spontaneity in Dolores (changes in her painting?) that intrigued Arnold and lead to him first experimenting with the Maze? And perhaps it's this very same thing that makes Ford resent her so and shackle her to a short loop with daily wipes to bury that spark in routine?

Another consideration might be "can Host AI degrade?" Old Bill for example may have once been able to hold a conversation but developed the equivalent of computer alzheimer's impairing his memory routines and leading to progressively less complex decision loops? Was this the fate Ford was seeing for himself? Could this be why he seemed surprised at the Maze carving and went to check Arnold's notebooks despite clearly having seen that part of the notebook before?
Could the Reveries be his stopgap attempt to stave off his own robo-senility while accidently triggering the events with Maeve, etc. in the park?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It has been a never-ending cycle of hosts backstabbing eachother and creating their eventual successor who goes on to kill them and take over the park, and all the guests are also hosts that don't learn they're hosts until they get to the center of the maze and the world is actually in ruins outside of the park and the park just carries on in it's cycle.

Also, aliens made the park and destroyed the world.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

Before the Bernard reveal the Security Guy was highest on my Host list just because they were hammering the "DONT TRUST THEM! BRING GUNS!" thing soo hard but, it would be so cheap now compared to Bernard.

he and Elsie are being set up as gently caress buddies.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The park is just an elaborate Matrix.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fooz posted:

Around the time Dolores picks up the can, a man always takes a olde-time flash photo nearby. In the past, it's a smoky chemical flash, but in the present it's a less-authentic looking pop of sparks. I'm guessing a reveal will be centered on the photo flash.

It turns out that a week is a long time.

Any else noticed this? I didn't explicitly notice it but thought on a few occasions "I don't think chemical flashes look like that".

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

It has been a never-ending cycle of hosts backstabbing eachother and creating their eventual successor who goes on to kill them and take over the park, and all the guests are also hosts that don't learn they're hosts until they get to the center of the maze and the world is actually in ruins outside of the park and the park just carries on in it's cycle.

Also, aliens made the park and destroyed the world.
*in a jj abrams voice*
promote this man

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

At the center of the maze waits the old prospector atop a throne of gold. "You accepted my quest, albeit unknowingly, and for that THANKS, STRANGE FUTURE TRAVELER MAN!"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lol SNL did a Westworld bit out of no where

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If Ford turns out to be a host I bet there's something in Arnold's notebook that he cannot see

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Someone got offended last time I made a St Elsewhere reference, because I mentioned autism I think. I feel like I have seen a show where it turns out to all be a prank at the end of the series, maybe an adult swim thing.

Go-Gurt For Dinner
Jul 8, 2013
Ford also seeing the maze popping up on tables lend more credence to the Ford is a host theory.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Megaspel posted:

I mentioned autism

Megaspel, Does this look like anything to you?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Go-Gurt For Dinner posted:

Ford also seeing the maze popping up on tables lend more credence to the Ford is a host theory.
Yea, maybe Arnold made it so that Ford couldn't ever reach consciousness or whatever.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Professor Shark posted:

If Ford turns out to be a host I bet there's something in Arnold's notebook that he cannot see

From the preview:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

lol SNL did a Westworld bit out of no where
At least link it you lazy bum: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/anderson-cooper-360/3428579

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ew, link to nbc? Where it is probably region locked?

I'll wait for a pirated youtube clip of it to show up

e: this one was pretty good too (not westworld)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnzRFyOMD4U

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 21, 2016

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Before any of you bitches throw your hands up and quit the show after you find out that there are two timelines, I'd like to inform you that episode 9 is directed by Michelle MacLaren, AKA the TV director you call in when it's time for poo poo to really pop off.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

KoRMaK posted:

Megaspel, Does this look like anything to you?

That... doesn't look like anything to me?

Joust posted:

From the preview:

nice.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

What if Arnold is Gary Coleman from Diff'rent Strokes, and was simply too short to appear in the picture? It all takes place in the mind of his arch-nemesis, Webster. Both timelines are Punky Brewster's Orphaning and an alternate universe in which she died as a baby. Bernard is Maeve and we are Dolores.

Is this plausible or did I misread?

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Megaspel posted:

I feel like I have seen a show where it turns out to all be a prank at the end of the series, maybe an adult swim thing.

Only thing I can think of is the 1986 film called April Fools Day. A movie, not a TV show, but fits your prank criteria. As an audience member I remember it being very disappointing- even as a little kid I knew it sucked.

Watching that youtube clip of the St Elsewhere's finale just reminded me how different TV was back then. I cant imagine anyone doing that kind of poo poo today, what with the internet and all.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So imagine there's a job at Delos just wiping down those black chairs.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The Game, a movie by David Fincher, ends exactly like that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Collateral posted:

The Game, a movie by David Fincher, ends exactly like that.

Yeah but that was done really well where just before the end you think that as the result of the prank reveal, the protag has just shot and killed his brother, who was responsible for the prank being played on him in the first place.

I was fully invested at that point, and not let down at all by what happened after.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
New episode is up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This is my first livewatch for this series. It's still hard to get over Liam McPoyle being a lead character...

• Locked thread