Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
there is literally nothing snap-on on craiglist with an asking price less than 1800 dollars here

I did however find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Rascal saw a squirrel while we were taking pictures :3:

With another audience this picture has every opportunity for becoming a viral meme.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geoj posted:

Finished the clutch in my Focus tonight.

Holy poo poo I forgot what having a clutch that engages a fraction of an inch off the floor was like.

This is how my original 160k mile clutch is.

... I think it's more because either air in the lines or the master cylinder though. Pedal goes halfway down before meeting any kind of resistance. I can't even use floormats if I want the clutch to fully disengage.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I originally thought that my clutch was dying because it would wait until about 60% of the way up to have any real bite, but that was 20k miles ago and it's still at about the same place. I tried my friend's 6th gen that had just had its clutch replaced and its bite point was at about 30-40%, so I'm of the mind that Civics have real lovely feeling clutches out of the factory that only have the benefit of being able to take abuse

E: I still remember the smell and the awful sound from when I was teaching my girlfriend to drive stick. She wasn't just resting her foot on the pedal, she wouldn't let pressure off of it and always had it slightly depressed. I was kind and supportive almost the entire time, but when I realized what was going on, I may have raised my voice a bit...

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 21, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Scrambles posted:

Should I buy this chinesium 56" tool cabinet on sale for seven hundred dollars for my new garage? I have poo poo for storage currently and I like the long drawers.
http://www.harborfreight.com/56-in-...ifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

Whatever you do, never pay full price for anything from HF. I -hate- mailing lists, but theirs is worth it for the (quarterly?) giant coupon book.

Also, the above mentioned 44" cabinet goes on sale this weekend for $339. Friday, Saturday, Sunday no coupon needed.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I would go with the 2x44's if you have room. I'm satisfied with them.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Scrambles posted:

there is literally nothing snap-on on craiglist with an asking price less than 1800 dollars here

I did however find

That's how it goes sometimes. I'd also give Kennedy a look. And imagine the Bush on those snap on models :wink:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

clam ache posted:

That's how it goes sometimes. I'd also give Kennedy a look. And imagine the Bush on those snap on models :wink:

Or Busch

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

:psyduck:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Door Frame posted:

I originally thought that my clutch was dying because it would wait until about 60% of the way up to have any real bite, but that was 20k miles ago and it's still at about the same place.

That's how my clutch was when I got the car around 60k. Now that I'm at 160k, it starts biting a hair off of the firewall.

Someday (probably when I can't easily get it into gear at a stop anymore) I'll look into it.

Anyone who drives my car immediately says "WTF IS WRONG WITH YOUR CLUTCH?!". You can press the pedal halfway down with your pinky finger with zero resistance (hell you could probably blow on it and it'd drop down that far). Once you get used to having to mash it completely against the firewall, it drives fine. What's kinda funny is the starter interlock switch has gotten equally bitchy, it won't let the starter engage unless the pedal is mashed to the firewall now (and even then it occasionally decides to say nope). It used to let the starter engage about 3/4 down.

I mean.. I've always been in the habit of pushing the clutch pedal down as far as physically possible when shifting anyway, and the change in the bite point was so gradual that I didn't really notice it until I drove someone else's car about a year ago and realized his pedal had resistance the moment you touched it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 21, 2016

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Intern was left in charge of creating the weather forecast? "gently caress, I have no idea what I'm doing. Uhhh, it's like mid November so it should be cold but it's been pretty nice lately. 33-70* should cover it. Also, I saw a bunch of pictures of snow on reddit so maybe that's going to happen around here?"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

That pulls the high/low from TWC so u should yell at boomers for the climate

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Galler posted:

Intern was left in charge of creating the weather forecast? "gently caress, I have no idea what I'm doing. Uhhh, it's like mid November so it should be cold but it's been pretty nice lately. 33-70* should cover it. Also, I saw a bunch of pictures of snow on reddit so maybe that's going to happen around here?"

No, it was really 70 yesterday afternoon, then it got nutty windy, dropped 25 degrees in about an hour and now, 24 hours later we're under 5 or so inches of snow.

That actually WAS the forecast.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just put the winter wheels on my car, and had a look at the summer tires now that they're off.

They're seriously cracked, between every tread block and in the lengthwise grooves, all the way around, thankfully not really any cracking on the sidewalls. They're ~4yo Hankook Kinergy Eco K425s, and I definitely won't be saving ~$70 on a set compared to a set of Michelins this time.

It's no good having great fuel economy and an awesome treadwear rating when the rubber dry rots halfway through.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 21, 2016

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The solution is a heavier right foot. On the Volvo T5 I had, front tyres was a yearly wear item. The Michelin Energys on the eco-diesel V50 lasted all four years I had it...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That's how my clutch was when I got the car around 60k. Now that I'm at 160k, it starts biting a hair off of the firewall.

Someday (probably when I can't easily get it into gear at a stop anymore) I'll look into it.

Anyone who drives my car immediately says "WTF IS WRONG WITH YOUR CLUTCH?!". You can press the pedal halfway down with your pinky finger with zero resistance (hell you could probably blow on it and it'd drop down that far). Once you get used to having to mash it completely against the firewall, it drives fine. What's kinda funny is the starter interlock switch has gotten equally bitchy, it won't let the starter engage unless the pedal is mashed to the firewall now (and even then it occasionally decides to say nope). It used to let the starter engage about 3/4 down.

I mean.. I've always been in the habit of pushing the clutch pedal down as far as physically possible when shifting anyway, and the change in the bite point was so gradual that I didn't really notice it until I drove someone else's car about a year ago and realized his pedal had resistance the moment you touched it.

Huh, mine started out almost where yours is, only mine hasn't had problems with the interlock not recognizing input. When I was going to be test driving it, I couldn't get the drat thing to start even though I was pushing the pedal 95% of the way to the floor. I learned that I basically have to hear the pedal contact the switch on the firewall before attempting to turn the engine over.
Besides a short primer from my grandpa and years of listening to him talk about his old Semi trucks that had like 12 gears, I learned everything about manual driving from my Civic.
I have gotten chances to drive cars with more responsive clutches, including Toyota and Ford economy cars, so that's why I went out of my way to get into my friend's newly replaced 6th gen and see if it was a Civic problem or a problem with my car. Seems to be a bit of both, but I'm not far off of the general Civic mushy-ness, so no worries yet.

And mashing the clutch pedal every time and slamming the shifter into place is like half the reason to own a Honda. If they weren't meant for abuse, they shouldn't be so durable or so cheap.
Except for the Reverse gear on my 5 speed... I think I damaged the forks or something because sometimes it does not like completely engaging. Now I occaisonally have to double clutch and while slowly letting off the clutch for a second time, hold the shifter in place until it decides to catch and go into reverse. Otherwise I'm just grinding gears with my reverse lights on like an rear end in a top hat

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The solution is a heavier right foot. On the Volvo T5 I had, front tyres was a yearly wear item. The Michelin Energys on the eco-diesel V50 lasted all four years I had it...

I've actually been told that I should brake harder, it's better for the disc brakes, especially the rear brakes.

Of course, that would also suggest that I should accelerate harder ;)

The main problem seems to be that traffic doesn't want to accelerate as quickly as I want to. When you out-accelerate 95% of traffic at half throttle, shifting at 3K RPM, it's actually kinda depressing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KozmoNaut posted:

I've actually been told that I should brake harder, it's better for the disc brakes, especially the rear brakes.

The main problem seems to be that traffic doesn't want to accelerate as quickly as I want to. When you out-accelerate 95% of traffic at half throttle, shifting at 3K RPM, it's actually kinda depressing.

Common early V70 problem is the rear brakes seizing up with lack of use. The solution is to put weight in the back and romp on it.

I'm expecting the same with the teacup-sized drums in the rear of my panda so I drove that like I stole it whenever curves are likely. Unfortunately this now means I want to trade it in for the 100hp model, which defies the point of getting it in the first place.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

...why would you not do this? It never gets old.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

cakesmith handyman posted:

Common early V70 problem is the rear brakes seizing up with lack of use. The solution is to put weight in the back and romp on it.

I'm expecting the same with the teacup-sized drums in the rear of my panda so I drove that like I stole it whenever curves are likely. Unfortunately this now means I want to trade it in for the 100hp model, which defies the point of getting it in the first place.

I have that problem with the rear drums-in-discs for the handbrake. I just drag it hard for ~10 seconds once a month or so, just to get some heat and wear into the drums and shoes.

And yeah, Pandas are hilarious to drive above 8/10ths, because you're not really going very fast in objective terms.

Have you driven a 100HP? The ride gives "uncompromisingly hard" a whole new meaning.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

...why would you not do this? It never gets old.

Because traffic :emo:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

Good point.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Especially since "traffic" around here generally means "60HP hatchbacks driven by middle-aged ladies with a terminal fear of engine noise".

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
My school just posted their graduate level course schedule for the next two years (finally) and I got the exciting news that I'll be able to graduate a year earlier than I originally thought. I'm stoked :)

December 2018 is gonna be here before I know it.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Is anybody else using a vehicle tracker like the Chinese TK102 or TK103's? Are there any decent tracking websites to use it with that either cost nothing or cost very little?

Don't really want to have to host my own server for it!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

We just did the brakes all around on my wife's XC70. Fronts were definitely more worn.

I wish we had the Turbodiesel Volvos here :smith:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

December 2018 is gonna be here before I know it.

Congrats 2018 graduation buddy! The last time I'll ever have to take classes is June.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 230 days!)

Tomarse posted:

Is anybody else using a vehicle tracker like the Chinese TK102 or TK103's? Are there any decent tracking websites to use it with that either cost nothing or cost very little?

Don't really want to have to host my own server for it!

I bought one of these, got ready to set it up, got distracted by squirrels, and it's sat in the office since. GPSWox looks promising, but I have no experience with them. A halfway tolerable middle ground is to just get a super cheap VPS. You can find them at lowendbox.com - and there are guaranteed to be specials on Friday/Saturday this week.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Just finished watching the premier of Not Top Gear The Grand Tour and it was very enjoyable. For the sake of not wanting to spoil anything I will leave it at that.

Oh, poo poo - I forgot I need to watch that. Good thing it's on demand, eh?

CommieGIR posted:

Rotella is the right answer for every engine.

'S what I use in my old junk with flat-tappet cams, anyway.
I use whatever 20W-50 is cheapest in my RX-7, because it leaks/burns it all anyway.
The Crown Vic gets oil. Occasionally. Hmm. Better check that - it's been a while. (I know, I'm bad.)

CommieGIR posted:

Apex seal says: I'm Out.

Only if Boost says: I'm in. (Usually)

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Rascal saw a squirrel while we were taking pictures :3:

DESIRE TO KNOW MORE INTENSIFIES.

Seriously, you almost got a new Doge meme there.
e:f,b:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

With another audience this picture has every opportunity for becoming a viral meme.

Geoj posted:

Finished the clutch in my Focus tonight.

Holy poo poo I forgot what having a clutch that engages a fraction of an inch off the floor was like.

I just did the clutch in my Wife's Kia Spectra5. took me nearly all god damned weekend, but if I had to do it, it was a good weekend to do it. Nothing else going, and the temps were high 40's to high 50's here in N.TX.
Everything went back together fairly well. I didn't spend near as much time cussing out the thing while trying to mate it up as last time. Had a better transmission jack this time, and located some long bolts to use as guide pins.
Then, there was this fucker:

Where the gently caress do you go?! It's got to be a trans-to-engine bolt, but I've got no vacancies (that I can see.) Will look again when I'm not tired and frustrated already. Seriously, almost chucked a number of tools and supplies across the yard by the time I was done, but I need those tools. So I threw stuff that was tough and easy to find later.

BraveUlysses posted:

I have the 44" one and it's great

Personally I'd get 2 44's for the same price as the big one

Or a 44" with top box. The HF stuff is actually pretty well rated for the price. I was considering them, but Costco put a 48" box, top and bottom together, on clearance for $400. I'm overjoyed to finally have enough space for all the tools, between that, my pegboard, and a cabinet for the larger stuff like air and power tools. Sold my previous lovely little Craftsman 18" "rollaway" for like $25 just to get rid of it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

I originally thought that my clutch was dying because it would wait until about 60% of the way up to have any real bite, but that was 20k miles ago and it's still at about the same place. I tried my friend's 6th gen that had just had its clutch replaced and its bite point was at about 30-40%, so I'm of the mind that Civics have real lovely feeling clutches out of the factory that only have the benefit of being able to take abuse

E: I still remember the smell and the awful sound from when I was teaching my girlfriend to drive stick. She wasn't just resting her foot on the pedal, she wouldn't let pressure off of it and always had it slightly depressed. I was kind and supportive almost the entire time, but when I realized what was going on, I may have raised my voice a bit...

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

You guys should probably learn to adjust the clutch pedal and free-play thereof?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/jjyf1?lr=1479748328

SO FAR SO GOOD BOYS

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

New CARS 3 teaser - trailer from PIXAR is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4K7JgPJ8-s It is a good time to be a dad with a kid obsessed Lightning McQueen!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

KozmoNaut posted:

I have that problem with the rear drums-in-discs for the handbrake. I just drag it hard for ~10 seconds once a month or so, just to get some heat and wear into the drums and shoes.

And yeah, Pandas are hilarious to drive above 8/10ths, because you're not really going very fast in objective terms.

Have you driven a 100HP? The ride gives "uncompromisingly hard" a whole new meaning.

This is why I really love buying manual transmission cars now, of the 5 I've bought, 3 (maybe 4! the engine is seized and I don't even know where the lever is yet) have had working e-brakes, while none of the automatics I've bought have had one. Daily parking with the e-brake on has kept their ebrake linkages working nicely apparently.

Darchangel posted:

You guys should probably learn to adjust the clutch pedal and free-play thereof?

Took the words right out of my mouth... if it's properly adjusted, bled, and maintained, I thought the clutch engagement should be right at the top of the pedal. That's how my Justy, both Foresters, white MJ, red XJ, and 5-ton have all been.

I've been training myself to only use as much of the clutch pedal travel as I need to to get the starter to work or the clutch to disengage, because eventually the 5 ton is getting a clutch brake (since it's a $20 part and can only be done when the trans is out, and I haven't put the new trans with clutch brake support in yet) and I don't want to accidentally engage it all the time when driving.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

keykey posted:

Congrats 2018 graduation buddy! The last time I'll ever have to take classes is June.

Thanks, and congrats yourself! I really wanna keep going. There was a year or two period where I wasn't in school between this and the bachelors. I just like the structure and the concrete goals too much.

PhD would be cool, but they generally won't let you hold a full time job while you do it. Any doctors in here?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

New CARS 3 teaser - trailer from PIXAR is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4K7JgPJ8-s It is a good time to be a dad with a kid obsessed Lightning McQueen!

Surely you meant "Lightning McQueen obsessed kid", but I refuse to accept that because the mental picture is too good this way.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
arent clutch pedals only adjustable for non-hydraulic systems?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Surely you meant "Lightning McQueen obsessed kid", but I refuse to accept that because the mental picture is too good this way.

:doh: yeah a kid obsessed WITH Lightning McQueen. Either way I AM VERY EXCITE

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 230 days!)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

New CARS 3 teaser - trailer from PIXAR is up:

Wait.. is this that same franchise with the goofy eyeballs in the windshield instead of the headlamps (where they belong, drat it)!?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BraveUlysses posted:

arent clutch pedals only adjustable for non-hydraulic systems?

I'm not used to having to adjust a hydraulic one, since jeeps don't have an adjustment, but there is most definitely an adjustment in the pushrod on my Forester. It was a pain in the dick getting it right... if you don't, the piston in the master may never come back far enough to open the port from the reservoir into the back of the master and it won't bleed right.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

I'm not used to having to adjust a hydraulic one, since jeeps don't have an adjustment, but there is most definitely an adjustment in the pushrod on my Forester. It was a pain in the dick getting it right... if you don't, the piston in the master may never come back far enough to open the port from the reservoir into the back of the master and it won't bleed right.

Yeah, it's mainly to adjust pedal engagement height, and ensure just a little free-play (your service manual will tell you how much, and how to adjust.)
But for STR's for example, it sounds like he needs to lengthen the actuator rod (heh).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Probably, but I'd also have to move the interlock switch on a car that is not going to be mine by the new year, so I'll just live with a mushy clutch

• Locked thread