Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

FuhrerHat posted:

was the dying soldier that mcpoyle cradled in his arms the other mcpoyle?

why would they do that.

The entire McPoyle family has actually been in Westworld. Rewatch the show to spot them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

And no one would ever do that...

Lol

I meant "having your SA history used against you in the real world"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lycus posted:

The entire McPoyle family has actually been in Westworld. Rewatch the show to spot them all.

It's always Sunny on Delos

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think his daughter's accusations were about his time spent at Westworld as much as they were about his behavior at home, honestly.

Also, Felix is totally believable to me. He was tired of his lot in life and wanted to be a programmer. Maeve swept him into a world where he could essentially be just that, even if what he was doing was dangerous. If Abe Lincoln started talking to some bored, minimum wage worker at Disney World with dreams of being an imagineer, I bet he'd listen. Of course Felix is going to empathize with Maeve, because if he does, he lives in a world where it's possible for him to do programming that nobody else in the park is doing. He's accelerated from being a failed bird programmer to The Guy Who Maybe Is Going to Award Human Hosts Free Will. Doesn't matter if he's scared of the way he's getting his dream, he's going to go for it.

His reticent partner in crime is believable because he's a rules-following idiot who doesn't want to rock the boat by having Felix get caught and having it affect his everyday life (what if his next co-worker doesn't cheerfully accept his insults and, worse, makes fun of him)? He threatens to turn Felix in all the time, but he's really just about taking what he thinks is the path of least resistance.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

Lol

I meant "having your SA history used against you in the real world"

Yes, I understood. :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

Now let's talk about the mail. Can we talk about the mail, please, Felix? I've been dying to talk about the mail with you all day, OK? "Arnold," this name keeps coming up over and over again. Every day Arnold's mail is getting sent back to me. Arnold! Arnold! I look in the mail, and this whole box is Arnold! So I say to myself, "I gotta find this guy! I gotta go up to his office and put his mail in the guy's goddamn hands! Otherwise, he's never going to get it and he's going to keep coming back down here." So I go up to Arnold's office and what do I find out, Felix? What do I find out?! There is no Arnold. The man does not exist, okay? So I decide, "Oh poo poo, buddy, I gotta dig a little deeper." There's no Arnold? You gotta be kidding me! I got boxes full of Arnold! All right. So I start marchin' my way down to Theresa in QA and I knock on her door and I say, "Theresaaaaaa! Theresaaaaaaaa! I gotta talk to you about Arnold." And when I open the door what do I find? There's not a single goddamn desk in that office! There...is...no...Theresa in QA. Mac, half the employees in this building have been made up. This company is a goddamn ghost town.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Are new Clementine, the bait, and welcome lady all the same host?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

bathhouse posted:

Are you blind?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just saw the episode and gonna skip the theorizing again because as always, it bores the hell out of me.

What we saw with Ford and Bernard's first scene was basically Elysium and the river Lethe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethe

Heroes had the choice to bathe in it and forget everything, before having life again. There is supposed to be another river that gains all your memories, and eventually, omniscence.

The conversation was about the meaning of happiness, if you had the choice, wouldn't you want to forget all your pain? But then Mauve's heartbreaking scene with the daughter shows that pain is also a way to connect and grow as well, something Ford isn't particularily interested in as he considers all growth to seemingly be an illusion.

Ford is the most robotic entity in this show, regardless of whether he is an android or not. A beneficient god that changes the intrinsic charateristics of his charges, the most terrifying thing possible. Even God in the Old Testament gave humans the ability to fail. But Ford is determined to keep all his children in Eden, drat if they agree or not.

Everyone is on a journey, androids and humans alike, but they all share the same choice. To hold onto painful memories, and potentially ascend, or to accept happiness and retreat back to obvliviousness.

I'm not sure how I would answer that question. Do you?

EDIT: Ford not caring about Bernard's potential sentience is the worst insult of all.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bathhouse posted:

They are all played by attractive blondes.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The town that Dolores massacres is the same one Ford's excavating for his narrative, right? Where we saw all the construction equipment in episode 4?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

bathhouse posted:

Bait and welcome lady are the same host. New Clementine is someone else.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

The town that Dolores massacres is the same one Ford's excavating for his narrative, right? Where we saw all the construction equipment in episode 4?

I think that's the implication, maybe? Theresa or someone said "he's digging up some old narratives or town" I'm not convinced though.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

my bony fealty posted:

I thought that too maybe, but he had a friggen Bagger 288. The town wasn't THAT deep right?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I believe the specific wording from this episode was past tense, that Ford already did dig up some (implied to be the old church town) town. That would give more evidence to William being in the past.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I don't get Ford at all, I feel like an old person trying to figure out a smartphone.

So he realises that there is no meaningful difference between a host and human, yet he insists on treating the hosts like objects and playthings? He doesn't seem like a hateful or sadistic person. Why is he doing this?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

my summer at fat camp posted:

I believe the specific wording from this episode was past tense, that Ford already did dig up some (implied to be the old church town) town. That would give more evidence to William being in the past.

In episode 2, Ford shows Bernard the same (presumably) buried steeple that William & Dolores see; so the process of digging it up starts after that episode and is well underway 2 episodes later.

So there are either multiple buried churches in one timeframe, or multiple timeframes is confirmed by this.

Dolores going haywire and shooting up the town in the past certainly fits the "critical failure" of 30 years ago (which the new Wyatt narrative seems to be based on).

Dudikoff
Mar 30, 2003

I really hope that Felix at least gets a blowjob out of this.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

From who? Slyv? Definitely not maeve, I don't think she is his type.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

she cut his throat. when your throat is slashed open you die of blood loss. Felix used the magic skin sealer to close up the wound so he didn't lose any more blood. end of story.

(that prop, by the way, is a handheld dental UV lamp used to cure epoxy fillings)

While this is easily explained by "It's a TV show set in the future you goony fucks", a skin sealer/cauterizer would not work at all in that situation. She cut his jugular which is a massive blood vessel going to your brain. Cauterizing the outside skin isn't going to do poo poo to fix the fact that his jugular was cut. It may have kept him from bleeding outside his body but it by no means would have saved his life.

As far as the hockey goalie that only proves this:

"Malarchuk's life was saved due to quick action by the team's athletic trainer, Jim Pizzutelli, a former Army medic who served in Vietnam. He gripped Malarchuk's neck and pinched off the blood vessel, not letting go until doctors arrived to begin stabilizing the wound. The team doctor led the pair off the ice then applied extreme pressure by kneeling on his collarbone—a procedure designed to produce a low breathing rate and low metabolic state, which is preferable to exsanguination.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

wait everybody, hang on one darned second

is this the new star trek? those sneaky bastards got us watching star trek again.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I don't get Ford at all, I feel like an old person trying to figure out a smartphone.

So he realises that there is no meaningful difference between a host and human, yet he insists on treating the hosts like objects and playthings? He doesn't seem like a hateful or sadistic person. Why is he doing this?

He can literally play God with subjects indistinguishable from humans. You don't have to be sadistic to find that appealing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

Sizemore (eyeing the board as they sample his new storyline): That which you have just eaten, which your taste buds have savored, which your teeth have just torn apart... is human meat.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think MiB = William is stupid but my favorite thing I've read in this thread is that Maeve = Wyatt. The end-all threat at the end of that storyline is when Maeve uses his army to escape the park and bring about robot rebellion.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

It doesn't look like anything to me.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

I think MiB = William is stupid but my favorite thing I've read in this thread is that Maeve = Wyatt. The end-all threat at the end of that storyline is when Maeve uses his army to escape the park and bring about robot rebellion.

There's a handful of factions that would be dangerous to the humans for her to recruit. Wyatts group, the ghost nation, the Confederos.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

Nah. Wyatt is gonna be Dolores's dad.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im thinking wyatt is the human arnold and that all the horrible stories about him are Ford attempting to wrestle back total control

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

KoRMaK posted:

KoRMaK posted:

I think that's the implication, maybe?
I'm not getting it

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

my bony fealty posted:

In episode 2, Ford shows Bernard the same (presumably) buried steeple that William & Dolores see; so the process of digging it up starts after that episode and is well underway 2 episodes later.

I suppose you noticed that the "steeple" in the sand is different from the steeple of the church. I suppose it could have lost some planks or something but it looks different. It does fit with the way that Ford thoughtfully kicks at the sand when he first visits the area before young Ford shows up. I wonder if young Ford's wandering was further than expected given the way Ford reacts and is a sign of starting to lose control.

D-Pad posted:

While this is easily explained by "It's a TV show set in the future you goony fucks", a skin sealer/cauterizer would not work at all in that situation. She cut his jugular which is a massive blood vessel going to your brain. Cauterizing the outside skin isn't going to do poo poo to fix the fact that his jugular was cut. It may have kept him from bleeding outside his body but it by no means would have saved his life.

The jugular is not that big of a deal and it comes from rather than goes to the brain. It's the carotid laceration that is the scary/impressive injury and Silvestre didn't have any overt evidence of that. If there is enough pressure on the wound from the cautery it could work.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Josh Lyman posted:

They are all played by attractive blondes.

Attractive blondes who didn't get naked. It's hard to tell them apart.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

A lot of Wyatt theories going on now. Dolores = Wyatt is the big on on Reddit but that's mostly people thinking she was shooting up church town in that scene when it was definitely a person in pants. I hadn't really considered that there could be something up with the actual Wyatt character beyond just a new host, but it makes the most sense that his backstory via teddy is a direct allegory to Arnold (at least in Ford's recollection of events). Interested to see how that one turns out.

I get Felix's story a lot more now that I thought about it from the perspective of someone with an arrogant older brother. Wouldn't you want to go against Sylvester's plan, even if just to spite him?

Oh, and do we think Maeve screwed up her excape plan with her memory glitch, or was that scene and getting scooped up by HQ part of her plan in the first place? I might have missed something in that plot this episode.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 21, 2016

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

bathhouse posted:

You're face-blind, probably. But the latter two are the same, and new Clementine is different.

I hope old Clementine comes back. I like her.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Ford also treats humans like objects.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

He thinks that Westworld life is better than free life for them. Depending on the host role, he might be right.

FooF posted:

Reminds me of the conversation between Mustapha Mond and John the Savage at the end of Brave New World. Mond has a world free of suffering and John is completely aghast at the sight of people having no agency and no meaning outside of the pursuit of external happiness. John claimed that without suffering and something to overcome, people don't ascend to their best selves (quoting Shakespeare the whole way). Mond says that in the proper environment, people don't need any suffering to feel good and with the proper conditioning, they'll never question it.

Ford and Mond are basically on the same page though the added wrinkle is that line between hosts and humans is quite blurred. Mond wasn't dealing with artificial humans, though to John, the people in the World State weren't really "human" either.

It's funny, I read BNW and at the end of it I just wanted some soma.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 21, 2016

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Just saw the episode and gonna skip the theorizing again because as always, it bores the hell out of me.

What we saw with Ford and Bernard's first scene was basically Elysium and the river Lethe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethe

Heroes had the choice to bathe in it and forget everything, before having life again. There is supposed to be another river that gains all your memories, and eventually, omniscence.

The conversation was about the meaning of happiness, if you had the choice, wouldn't you want to forget all your pain? But then Mauve's heartbreaking scene with the daughter shows that pain is also a way to connect and grow as well, something Ford isn't particularily interested in as he considers all growth to seemingly be an illusion.

Ford is the most robotic entity in this show, regardless of whether he is an android or not. A beneficient god that changes the intrinsic charateristics of his charges, the most terrifying thing possible. Even God in the Old Testament gave humans the ability to fail. But Ford is determined to keep all his children in Eden, drat if they agree or not.

Everyone is on a journey, androids and humans alike, but they all share the same choice. To hold onto painful memories, and potentially ascend, or to accept happiness and retreat back to obvliviousness.

I'm not sure how I would answer that question. Do you?

EDIT: Ford not caring about Bernard's potential sentience is the worst insult of all.

Reminds me of the conversation between Mustapha Mond and John the Savage at the end of Brave New World. Mond has a world free of suffering and John is completely aghast at the sight of people having no agency and no meaning outside of the pursuit of external happiness. John claimed that without suffering and something to overcome, people don't ascend to their best selves (quoting Shakespeare the whole way). Mond says that in the proper environment, people don't need any suffering to feel good and with the proper conditioning, they'll never question it.

Ford and Mond are basically on the same page though the added wrinkle is that line between hosts and humans is quite blurred. Mond wasn't dealing with artificial humans, though to John, the people in the World State weren't really "human" either.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

KoRMaK posted:

There's a handful of factions that would be dangerous to the humans for her to recruit. Wyatts group, the ghost nation, the Confederos.

I thought Hector was going to be her first recruit, I was disappointed that she was just using him to play with her new power.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bicyclops posted:

I don't think his daughter's accusations were about his time spent at Westworld as much as they were about his behavior at home, honestly.

Also, Felix is totally believable to me. He was tired of his lot in life and wanted to be a programmer. Maeve swept him into a world where he could essentially be just that, even if what he was doing was dangerous. If Abe Lincoln started talking to some bored, minimum wage worker at Disney World with dreams of being an imagineer, I bet he'd listen. Of course Felix is going to empathize with Maeve, because if he does, he lives in a world where it's possible for him to do programming that nobody else in the park is doing. He's accelerated from being a failed bird programmer to The Guy Who Maybe Is Going to Award Human Hosts Free Will. Doesn't matter if he's scared of the way he's getting his dream, he's going to go for it.

His reticent partner in crime is believable because he's a rules-following idiot who doesn't want to rock the boat by having Felix get caught and having it affect his everyday life (what if his next co-worker doesn't cheerfully accept his insults and, worse, makes fun of him)? He threatens to turn Felix in all the time, but he's really just about taking what he thinks is the path of least resistance.

My issue isn't the butchers doing what they are doing. It's that they are allowed to do what they are doing. I can totally get their motivation to keep going but I can't accept that what they're doing isn't being redflagged like hell. It's just absolutely not realistic at all.

Google hires you as a janitor. You might get access to the server rooms to do your job, you might even get an internal Google login account to do your time sheets or whatever the gently caress, but that password isn't going to let you log onto those servers you're dusting because a janitor doesn't need that privilege.

But ok, lets say it does let you login to those servers. Great, you can see what files are there but it probably won't let you read any of those files or let you write to any of those folders. Because again you don't need these privileges to do your job: dusting and occasionally taking boxes of failed hard drives to an incinerator or whatever.

Okay okay, somehow your account has read and write access. You can access and read all the databases that Google has. Now your buddy from the kitchen that was hired to "peel potatoes" and "make French fries" wants access to the servers too and he threatens you to give it to him. So you do it because you want to live. You'll just log onto the admin console, where everything is logged mind you, and add Justin the fry cook onto the list of people with administrative access. You, the janitor, are able to do this. Without it alerting anyone. Without it sending an email out to the upper level admins that "USER JANITOR-175 HAS ADDED JUSTINFRY TO ADMINS."

Yeah there is absolutely nothing in what i wrote that is in the least bit realistic and/or acceptable and it really ruins an otherwise good show.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

FooF posted:

I see a lot of connections between BNW and the movie. There's the Zuni kachinas as well as the general landscape. Plus there's the booming Ford, Ford, Ford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

FuhrerHat posted:

wait everybody, hang on one darned second

is this the new star trek? those sneaky bastards got us watching star trek again.

That they did. It's absolute confirmation of the two timeframes theory.

• Locked thread