Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Seashell Salesman posted:

Reflecting on the 8 day time limit in act 1 it's hilarious that people were freaking out on RPS and other game news sites about how this would completely wreck the game and they won't even give it a chance if it had a timed quest blah blah. Doing every quest available I wasn't able to make the counter go below 5 days left.

Because a lot of people have been burned by timers in the past. They're almost universally a bad idea unless used sparingly. Tyranny's was fine, and it can be cheesed for people who are obsessive over it, but I completely understand their reaction when all they hear is "So as soon as the game starts, there's a death countdown."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

User0015 posted:

Because a lot of people have been burned by timers in the past. They're almost universally a bad idea unless used sparingly. Tyranny's was fine, and it can be cheesed for people who are obsessive over it, but I completely understand their reaction when all they hear is "So as soon as the game starts, there's a death countdown."

The last RPG I remember with a counter (and the only one I saw cited elsewhere) is FO, and the counter there is a total non-issue same as in Tyranny. Which game has actually burned anyone with a timer?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The last RPG I remember with a counter (and the only one I saw cited elsewhere) is FO, and the counter there is a total non-issue same as in Tyranny. Which game has actually burned anyone with a timer?

XCOM 2?

I think the timer works well as "don't rest after every fight, loser", without forcing you to skip content.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If you do absolutely everything in Vendrien's Well, and rest a couple extra times, you'll still have around 2 days of leeway.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I did the whole thing with like 4 days to spare. It was just a matter of plotting an efficient route and trying to rest as little as possible.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
You would have to rest an insane amount of time to hit the limit.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Fable 3 is the most recent one I can think of.

fake edit -- For Obsidian games in particular, MotB had a pretty punishing timer.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Kainser posted:

You would have to rest an insane amount of time to hit the limit.

I think even if you did every side quest (pick up) 1 at a time and go from start, to quest area, to turn in, and got a new one, you would still end up with a day to spare.

The Act I timer is a non issue.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

User0015 posted:

Fable 3 is the most recent one I can think of.

fake edit -- For Obsidian games in particular, MotB had a pretty punishing timer.

MotB was pretty oppressive. I forgot about that. It's kind of different from the other timers though, it's been a long time since I played it but wasn't it kind of a survival game type mechanic where could just continuously delayed it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Malek posted:

I think even if you did every side quest (pick up) 1 at a time and go from start, to quest area, to turn in, and got a new one, you would still end up with a day to spare.

The Act I timer is a non issue.

The fact that it's a non-issue is precisely the best argument for why it shouldn't be in the game at all.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

precision posted:

The fact that it's a non-issue is precisely the best argument for why it shouldn't be in the game at all.

It's fun. It adds some flavor. It makes the first act of the game compelling and tells you a lot about Kyros and his/her archons. Why can't it be there without posing too much of a problem for 99% of players?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate

precision posted:

Wrong

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

It's kind of like the Power meter. Doesn't really do anything but gives a gameplay manifestation to something in the storyline.

e: Also the edict buff/debuff effects and the indicator on the map saying one faction or another 'controls' a region. None of that stuff really does anything you have to worry about to finish the game.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 22, 2016

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hopefully a quick question:
My current game route after Act I and going with the Chorus is basically:
1. See Nerat in Cacophony
2. Take a pit stop in Lethian's Crossing to pick up Sirin and claim a spire.
3. Start properly questing in the Blade Grave.
Anyway I'm in the middle of the Oldwall there.

My 'A Trial of Archons' quest basically looks like the following right now, after I've been doing my best to click absolutely everything and every dialogue:

Graven Ashe did this one bad thing. Also, this one other thing looks suspicious.
Voices of Nerat is a total fucker, here's ten things that are suspicious and/or lovely, also he ate Ashe's son and has evidence linking him to the resistance.

Is that looking about right for that stage of the game?

e: also did they just ask internet fan forums for the names of some of these characters? While they're generally pretty evocative being told "you must face GRAVEN ASHE under the command of TUNON THE ADJUDICATOR to see if he should be killed by BLEDEN MARK" is pretty goofy. Also the character that sings songs that make people like them, even to their doom, is literally named Sirin.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 22, 2016

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

bewilderment posted:

e: also did they just ask internet fan forums for the names of some of these characters? While they're generally pretty evocative being told "you must face GRAVEN ASHE under the command of TUNON THE ADJUDICATOR to see if he should be killed by BLEDEN MARK" is pretty goofy. Also the character that sings songs that make people like them, even to their doom, is literally named Sirin.

Video gamez.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Airfoil posted:

Video gamez.

Actually now that I think about it, based on how the game suggests becoming an Archon works, maybe you really do just need an over-the-top name to become one. Joe Frogson can be the world's best assassin, but he's always going to be remembered less than the guy named 'Blade and Mark'.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

bewilderment posted:

Actually now that I think about it, based on how the game suggests becoming an Archon works, maybe you really do just need an over-the-top name to become one. Joe Frogson can be the world's best assassin, but he's always going to be remembered less than the guy named 'Blade and Mark'.

I don't know about the others but Graven Ashe was actually given the "Graven" part of his name by Kyros. Bleden Mark likely was just Mark originally. Both pretty normal names.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Is there a way to turn on the combat AI for my character so they will use abilities rather than just basic attacks?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I don't know about the others but Graven Ashe was actually given the "Graven" part of his name by Kyros. Bleden Mark likely was just Mark originally. Both pretty normal names.

Given the mythology and how Archons work, Kyros gave them melodramatic names on purpose.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mark is an incredibly mundane name for a fantasy setting so I hope that's true.

Names are definitely important though. Verse and Eb for example adopted new names.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Gotta say that naming your Archon of Shadows and main assassin "Bleden Mark" certainly works

"Don't do this, Bleden Mark will come for your head!"

"Who?"

"Bleden Mark! Tunon's headsman!"

"Bleden Mark. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA really is that his name come on you are afraid of a guy named 'Bleden Mark'? HAHA"

"..."

Suddenly from the shadows a very pissed off guy murders everything on sight, thinking that one day, one sweet day, his vengeance will come...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate

bewilderment posted:

Yeah I think its specifically specified as part of what Kyros does to help empower them as Archons. The Archons that don't serve under Kyros don't have names like that, do they?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

There are no archons that don't serve under Kyros (at least before the ending of Tyranny). Any past powerful beings that didn't server Kyros were called exarchs.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
on the topic of artifacts, the banner of ardent is a loving insanely broken item. every fight i start only take 25% damage for the first 16s? yes please. defensive abilities become completely useless and you just plow through poo poo 100% balls to the wall. combats on PotD last like 15 seconds when there's a named dude or a havoc

Transmetropolitan posted:

Gotta say that naming your Archon of Shadows and main assassin "Bleden Mark" certainly works

ironically, fundamentally the opposite of what kyros or mark would want

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

wiegieman posted:

Given the mythology and how Archons work, Kyros gave them melodramatic names on purpose.

Brb, checking my Exalted sourcebooks for character names.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

There are no archons that don't serve under Kyros (at least before the ending of Tyranny). Any past powerful beings that didn't server Kyros were called exarchs.

The Archon of Tides is mentioned as independent.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Kainser posted:

This is specifically addressed (IIRC when you talk to Eb after she becomes a companion) and she did not officially hold the title of archon, and according to Eb didn't call herself archon either.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The independent Archons disagree, lol.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kainser posted:

Eb specifically says that the Tidecaster archon called herself 'Archon' instead of 'Exarch' as a challenge to Kyros' hierarchy, in fact.

Also hey I have a 'Forge' in my second spire but I don't see how I can futz with Barik's armor or Sirin's helmet, do I need to pick something up or talk to a special guy or something that I don't see?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Also hey I have a 'Forge' in my second spire but I don't see how I can futz with Barik's armor or Sirin's helmet, do I need to pick something up or talk to a special guy or something that I don't see?
Click on the little forges near where the center of the Spire.

Verviticus posted:

on the topic of artifacts, the banner of ardent is a loving insanely broken item. every fight i start only take 25% damage for the first 16s? yes please. defensive abilities become completely useless and you just plow through poo poo 100% balls to the wall. combats on PotD last like 15 seconds when there's a named dude or a havoc
Yeah its insane.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

The independent Archons disagree, lol.

Lol no they can't, Kyros put them all to the sword.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
So where's the Kills-in-Shadow and Eb fan fic?

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
Anyone have an idea for an interesting build to do? I've already done dual wield + fire magic and a pure mage. I was considering running a two handed tank, but the companions seem to have so many more abilities to do this well.

I'm considering an archer but that seems boring compared to what I've done so far. If it helps, it will probably be an anarchy run.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Brb, checking my Exalted sourcebooks for character names.

I know, right? "Occulted Jade" is the essence of an Exalted name.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Anyone have an idea for an interesting build to do? I've already done dual wield + fire magic and a pure mage. I was considering running a two handed tank, but the companions seem to have so many more abilities to do this well.

I'm considering an archer but that seems boring compared to what I've done so far. If it helps, it will probably be an anarchy run.

Punchguy who punches things. Make liberal use of Leg Sweep, it's an amazing skill - AoE prone.
It's a little tough at the end of Act I, but as soon as you get the Unencumbered talent it's pretty difficult to be hit because you only need one stat to avoid damage instead of two.

Buff yourself (or get allies to do it for you) with Haste and Titan's Touch. Use all the close-combat spells - you don't need the electric one since it's a duplicate of Silencing Palm, but Fire and Gravelight are both great.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

bewilderment posted:

Punchguy who punches things. Make liberal use of Leg Sweep, it's an amazing skill - AoE prone.
It's a little tough at the end of Act I, but as soon as you get the Unencumbered talent it's pretty difficult to be hit because you only need one stat to avoid damage instead of two.

Buff yourself (or get allies to do it for you) with Haste and Titan's Touch. Use all the close-combat spells - you don't need the electric one since it's a duplicate of Silencing Palm, but Fire and Gravelight are both great.

That sounds interesting. Heavy armor and punch things hard? I guess you could tank and punch.

I wonder if a riposte tank would work. One hander with no shield, heavy armor, and get the agility perks that make you attack an enemy whenever you receive a miss.

SoldadoDeTone fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 22, 2016

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SoldadoDeTone posted:

That sounds interesting. Heavy armor and punch things hard? I guess you could tank and punch.

Heavy armor means less sweeping the leg. Light armor all the way. Be Goku. Be Kenshiro. Impose order on this lawless hand.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

bewilderment posted:

Heavy armor means less sweeping the leg. Light armor all the way. Be Goku. Be Kenshiro. Impose order on this lawless hand.

Doesn't punch damage come from gauntlet weight? Or is it just gauntlet quality?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Doesn't punch damage come from gauntlet weight? Or is it just gauntlet quality?

I think heavy gauntlets do a little more damage, but light ones still improve in DPS as you progress through the game - my punch damage number is the same as Barik with a sword or mace and a little less than KiS.

And recovery time is all important to me to fart out more abilities. It's basically playing a close-range mage who also hits hard. You can actually get use out of stuff like the Lightning+Cone spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

SoldadoDeTone posted:

I wonder if a riposte tank would work. One hander with no shield, heavy armor, and get the agility perks that make you attack an enemy whenever you receive a miss.

I riposte tank with a 2-hander + light armor (PotD). You can riposte with any melee weapon; you just don't get the accuracy bonus. The MC's taunt aura blows the other options out of the water, IMO.

• Locked thread