Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Any Fuji shooters use the EF-X20? I want a simple flash for street portraits but I'm worried it's not powerful enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This doesn't really mean anything unless you can articulate why.

I switched from Canon full-frame DSLRs and can't say that I miss much, especially now with the X-T2. The X-T1's autofocus performance was a downgrade from the 5DIII, but the X-T2 corrects that completely in my experience so far. Dynamic range on Fuji is significantly better (not sure how it stacks up to the 5DIV now), and I find myself shooting a lot more because it's such a compact setup compared to my old 5DIII and full-frame glass. Even being mindful of things like confirmation bias, I can confidently say that I don't regret the switch at all.

Are there tradeoffs? Always. Being an older and more developed platform, Canon has more options for very specific shooting scenarios: their flash ecosystem is much better (though Fuji's should improve with the XF-500) and I occasionally miss esoteric options like tilt-shift. For 99% of my shooting though, I adore the X-T2 and find the much smaller setup to more than offset its limitations. Battery life on mirrorless is also like an order of magnitude worse than DSLRs, but I can carry my X-T2, 3 lenses, and 4 batteries in a bag that wouldn't have fit my gripped 5DIII and 70-200/2.8 before. The X-T2's USB charging also proved convenient on my road trip a couple weeks ago since I could just charge it in the car while driving between destinations.

rio posted:

I switched from shooting a 5D to the X-T1, and now the X-T2. I had an original X100 and fell in love with it, so I already knew why I wanted to switch - the external controls. I always missed my knobs and aperture ring from shooting film and I ended up shooting my X100 more than the 5D except when I needed something that was not 35mm equivalent. So I figured switching to an interchangeable lens Fuji would make sense for me and I sold my Canon stuff and bought an X-T1 with the 18-55 and the 35 f2. Next I got the 50-145 2.8, then the 23 1.2 and recently got the Rokinon 8mm 2.8 and I rarely miss my Canon gear now. I do miss the dof occasionally and more often than that I miss the different look that full frame gives (which some consider a myth but I do see it), but the advantages from the Fuji definitely outweigh those 2 things. I was already used to slow autofocus from the X100 so I didn't go to the X-t1 expecting better performance than the 5D. It was certainly better than the X100 but I definitely missed shots that I could have gotten with the Canon. Now that I have the X-T2, though, the performance is as good and sometimes better than my old 5D and I am a happy camper.

I think it is important to know why you would like to switch systems, so I also would ask why you want to switch. There are definitely advantages as well as disadvantages - write down both for what you have now and what you expect from Fuji and start there. Also think about what body you would get and what lenses and ask here if you need any advice.

Thanks for the input :) I think you've covered the main reasons as to why I was thinking of switching. Mostly size and portability, the addition of WiFi. Plus, I kinda like the out of camera look of the X-T2 from what I've seen so far.

As for the fear thing, missing 35mm, shallow DoF and a sturdy camera that makes me feel like "Yeah, I'm taking a loving photo."

Really, I should probably head to B&H and try one first.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 22, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ianskate posted:

Absolutely. Get it in your hands, play around with menus, see if the AF performance is good enough, test out the ergonomics, and be honest with yourself if you have the patience to learn a new system. Fuji's menus can be a bit of a chore, but the nice thing with all of those dials and buttons is that once you get it set up the way you like it, you rarely have to dig into them.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Thoren posted:

Any Fuji shooters use the EF-X20? I want a simple flash for street portraits but I'm worried it's not powerful enough.
I use the Nissin i40 flash for the rare times I need flash these days and I love it. It's no full-blown Canon EX-420 II for feature depth but it works just fine as a cheap E-TTL flash. I have not used it in any sort of wireless or slave fashion, though, only on-camera. It's surprisingly compact!

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
At this point (I will probably snap on the A7II in the B/S thread this weekend) the XT-2 looks to do everything my 7DII can do except exotic airshow LONG lens stuff (and with that 100-400 ... not so much) and for conventions (I shoot dual lenses because its faster than swapping and when walking), weight matters. a LOT. carrying the 7D II is.. it gets old. With the 56 1.2 being amazing, and the cost of the XT-2 being well.. its very affordable and the lenses are well cheap), I am wondering if I should just sell the 7DII instead of relegating it to airshow duty.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I switched from Canon 5D2 to Fuji XT1 as well, no regrets, the Fuji has performed very well for me! Plus all the lenses are cheaper and lighter than their Canon L counterparts.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ianskate posted:

Thanks for the input :) I think you've covered the main reasons as to why I was thinking of switching. Mostly size and portability, the addition of WiFi. Plus, I kinda like the out of camera look of the X-T2 from what I've seen so far.

As for the fear thing, missing 35mm, shallow DoF and a sturdy camera that makes me feel like "Yeah, I'm taking a loving photo."

You can get quite shallow DOF with the 56mm f/1.2 or the 90mm f/2. Missing 35mm? The Fuji 23mm is amazing, the f/1.4 is anyways I won't know about the f/2 version until friday. I have never felt like my Xpro, XT1, or Xpro2 was less than sturdy. The XE- series are a bit dainty tho.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

alkanphel posted:

I switched from Canon 5D2 to Fuji XT1 as well, no regrets, the Fuji has performed very well for me! Plus all the lenses are cheaper and lighter than their Canon L counterparts.

8th-snype posted:

You can get quite shallow DOF with the 56mm f/1.2 or the 90mm f/2. Missing 35mm? The Fuji 23mm is amazing, the f/1.4 is anyways I won't know about the f/2 version until friday. I have never felt like my Xpro, XT1, or Xpro2 was less than sturdy. The XE- series are a bit dainty tho.

So much excitement reading all these comments. Just priced out what my 5DMk2 and assorted gear would be worth on KEH and it comes in at $300 under the X-T2 body alone. So if I add the $800 56mm it'll bring my cost up to $1100 to make the switch, with one lens. Not sure what to think but I'm still happy.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 22, 2016

mes
Apr 28, 2006

The kit lens (XF 18-55mm) is quite good for what it is, I've been really happy with it if you don't want to commit to spending the $$$ on the 56mm.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Mest0r posted:

The kit lens (XF 18-55mm) is quite good for what it is, I've been really happy with it if you don't want to commit to spending the $$$ on the 56mm.

I'll check it out, I'm guessing that'll be the one on-camera at B&H. The 56mm f1.2 bokeh is what makes me grin inside, but I'm sure that it's not entirely necessary, I can use any of my vintage primes (Pentacon Bokehmonster) and get the same effect without AF, I guess.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

ianskate posted:

So much excitement reading all these comments. Just priced out what my 5DMk2 and assorted gear would be worth on KEH and it comes in at $300 under the X-T2 body alone. So if I add the $800 56mm it'll bring my cost up to $1100 to make the switch, with one lens. Not sure what to think but I'm still happy.

I'm not sure you want to own just an 85mm equivalent FOV lenses. I'd really try to also get the kit, or the one of the f/2 lenses as well (23 or 35). You might be able to get more for your gear if you sell it on craigslist or ebay than KEH.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
IMO you should build your Fuji kit with at least a 18-55 or a 35/2, but that's just my opinion.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

whatever7 posted:

IMO you should build your Fuji kit with at least a 18-55 or a 35/2, but that's just my opinion.

The 27mm and 23mm are also good options. I sold my 35mm and don't miss it at all.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

I agree with both of you, I'll probably pick up the XF35mm F2 at some point. Just not a fan of zooms, as versatile as they can be.

Just checked one out at B&H and really liked it, tried the 56 1.2 and 18-55 kit (didn't like that one too much) but the 56 was nice.

8th-snype posted:

The 27mm and 23mm are also good options. I sold my 35mm and don't miss it at all.

How come? Did you get something to replace it, or just found that range had no use for what you were shooting?

ianskate fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 22, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

23 and 56 make a decent 2 lens kit but I still prefer my 35 out of the 3. Though to be fair, I mostly use my 23 because it's so versatile - I only use the 35 when I'm not shooting random stuff.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

At this point we're just discussing personal preference, but I'll toss in my two cents: I have to force myself to use the 23 and really struggle with composition when using it. I prefer the 35 as my "leave it on the camera" lens, but actually enjoy shooting the 90 the most. I really love that lens.

I keep thinking about the 56, but I'm going to wait to see how the 50/2 turns out next year to possibly complete the 23, 35, 50 WR trifecta.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

At this point we're just discussing personal preference, but I'll toss in my two cents: I have to force myself to use the 23 and really struggle with composition when using it. I prefer the 35 as my "leave it on the camera" lens, but actually enjoy shooting the 90 the most. I really love that lens.

I keep thinking about the 56, but I'm going to wait to see how the 50/2 turns out next year to possibly complete the 23, 35, 50 WR trifecta.

That is good to hear, I have the 90 coming tomorrow. Also picked up the 14 a couple weeks ago, hard to resist these sale prices.

Probably sell my 18-55 and pick up a 35 to round it out, see how it works and add or subtract primes from there.

copen fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 23, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I'm just hoping Fuji really pushes the 33/1.0 lens out to market for real.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I thought I was getting pretty close to getting my pictures to look like the out of camera jpgs with the X-T1 but I just can't do it with the X-T2. There is a significant loss of detail with Lightroom's output vs the camera's and the tonality is too different as well. After giving Capture One a serious go, the raws look better and are a better starting point but the 3rd party film simulations are pretty far off from what Fuji does in terms of the colors. They look good but they are not the same. I even tried Silkypix and it is a total piece of poo poo, but still the one plus - it is supposed to look like what you get out of camera - doesn't seem to be true. I've resigned myself to converting raws in camera forever until there is another option :(

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

ianskate posted:

I agree with both of you, I'll probably pick up the XF35mm F2 at some point. Just not a fan of zooms, as versatile as they can be.

Just checked one out at B&H and really liked it, tried the 56 1.2 and 18-55 kit (didn't like that one too much) but the 56 was nice.

How come? Did you get something to replace it, or just found that range had no use for what you were shooting?

I sold my 35mm and bought a 27mm because I wanted a tiny walk-around lens and I find the 35mm is too tight for me on anything but portraits. The 23mm takes some getting used to but I it far more versatile .

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Oh, a quick question. I actually forgot that the sale was still going on - does anyone have any guesses how long the sale will last? I am still considering the 56 1.2 and if I do decide to get it I would not want to miss the chance to save a couple hundred bucks off of it.

Also I assume that cyber Monday will not affect sale prices and that they will not be going any lower?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Just buy it. The 56mm is worth it at any price.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Any ausposters know of chains thatd have xt2s i can hold?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

8th-snype posted:

Just buy it. The 56mm is worth it at any price.

I actually just found a place that, I think, has it in stock within driving distance. Both a new one for 799 and a used in excellent condition for 699. Soooo I will be driving there tomorrow and we will see what happens. (And by that I just mean which 56mm I will be leaving with)

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Sale should run until December 24th.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

With the ridiculous price of the E-M1 II I'm considering a switch to Fuji.

What would be considered the top fuji body at this moment?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

XT-2.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
The xt2 has nice features but unless you need 4k video take a look at the xpro2 as well. You might find you like the rf style layout better, I do.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

8th-snype posted:

The xt2 has nice features but unless you need 4k video take a look at the xpro2 as well. You might find you like the rf style layout better, I do.

Also the af is slightly faster on the X-T2 than the Xpro2, the boost mode and all that give it a few extra bells and whistles but the image output is going to pretty much be the same between the two.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
It might be expensive but it does look tasty:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

rio posted:

Also the af is slightly faster on the X-T2 than the Xpro2, the boost mode and all that give it a few extra bells and whistles but the image output is going to pretty much be the same between the two.

Yeah the extra AF stuff is nice but not dealbreakery, I've shot lots of fast moving things with an xpro2 (and older fuji bodies too) without it being a huge issue. If you need high rez video then you need high rez video (I don't, my phone is good enough).

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Xabi posted:

It might be expensive but it does look tasty:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii

Holy poo poo those handheld pictures. I think the camera is so expensive because the price includes the sacrifice of a newborn to the IBIS gods.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Woo, just ordered the XF56mmF1.2 R, didn't want to feel like a sucker and miss out on the sale while it was still going on - before it sold out everywhere. Now... just have to wait for the X-T2 to be back in stock :bahgawd:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

ianskate posted:

Woo, just ordered the XF56mmF1.2 R, didn't want to feel like a sucker and miss out on the sale while it was still going on - before it sold out everywhere. Now... just have to wait for the X-T2 to be back in stock :bahgawd:

I just found a new camera store that stocks EVERY Fuji lens and body you could ever want. They had a whole case just for Fuji poo poo. It is called Allen's Camera in Levittown PA, if anyone is near there. Anyway, I am the proud owner of a 56 1.2 and it is extremely the poo poo. A really amazing lens. I also got an Instax printer since it was 50 bucks off and some film so I will post a trip report after I try it. I am a happy camper.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rio posted:

I also got an Instax printer since it was 50 bucks off and some film so I will post a trip report after I try it.
Curious if direct printing from X-T2 works for you. I've only ever gotten it to work X-T2 -> iPhone -> Instax.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ianskate posted:

Adorama has it RIGHT NOW

http://www.adorama.com/ifjxt2.html

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Curious if direct printing from X-T2 works for you. I've only ever gotten it to work X-T2 -> iPhone -> Instax.

I'll give it a try when I get home tonight. Do you transfer them at the smaller 3mp size and if so do the prints look ok? I can't imagine the smaller size vs the full size making much of a difference on such a small print, but if it did it would be good to know. I would transfer full size all the time since I have 256gb of storage in my phone but the wifi transfer speed is soooo slow. I have actually just been using a card reader and USB adapter to transfer files to my phone when I want to transfer more than just a few images because the speed is so mind numbingly slow.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Kenmore Camera received a shipment of X-T2's in today (I had put a deposit down on one on Monday and picked it up today when they came in), I imagine that a bunch of retailers will have stock right now, maybe depending on location, but if it's like other shipments they'll disappear quickly. According to a guy at Kenmore, they never know when a shipment will come in, it just appears.

Now I have to figure out this new camera (though thanks to Wirecutter I also picked up the 35mm f/2 while I was at the store, I think that'll be more fun than the bundled lens.) Battery is charging now, and I only have my lovely old SD card until Friday, but I'm hoping to get some shots in tomorrow to figure out this crazy box of knobs.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

POKEMAN SAM posted:

Kenmore Camera received a shipment of X-T2's in today (I had put a deposit down on one on Monday and picked it up today when they came in), I imagine that a bunch of retailers will have stock right now, maybe depending on location, but if it's like other shipments they'll disappear quickly. According to a guy at Kenmore, they never know when a shipment will come in, it just appears.

Now I have to figure out this new camera (though thanks to Wirecutter I also picked up the 35mm f/2 while I was at the store, I think that'll be more fun than the bundled lens.) Battery is charging now, and I only have my lovely old SD card until Friday, but I'm hoping to get some shots in tomorrow to figure out this crazy box of knobs.

Kenmore camera owns. I preordered my xpro2 through them and they held it for like 2 weeks while I was out of town. I try to buy all my pouches and bags and stuff there when I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Kenmore camera owns. I preordered my xpro2 through them and they held it for like 2 weeks while I was out of town. I try to buy all my pouches and bags and stuff there when I can.

Yeah their email support was great, and when I've gone in before with questions (e.g. which polarizing filter to buy) they were super helpful. Today the guy was terrible in the apathetic unhelpful sense, my guess is that the receipt saying the salesman was ebay (because I put a deposit down through their website) meant this guy doesn't get credit for the sale (even though I also bought a lens there at the same time). Was sad because all of my other experiences have been great (and it wasn't busy at all today).