Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The GIG posted:

I really wish I had the money for this. Hoping this somehow gets brought over or I magically get a payraise so I can import.

I need to figure out how to make a Singapore PSN and then also get cards for it. What is a good way to put money on that account once I figure out how to make one? I assume my Canadian VISA won't do it directly.

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
The Singapore PSN is all in English so you can make an account online just like usual.

I use Play Asia for funds just because they email them instantly.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KoB posted:

The Singapore PSN is all in English so you can make an account online just like usual.

I use Play Asia for funds just because they email them instantly.

Do I have to find a specific South Asia card to use? That sounds like the way to go though.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Yes, you need the specific region money. Just get the same kind of card as account you make. If you make a Singapore account just search Play Asia for PSN Singapore.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KoB posted:

Yes, you need the specific region money. Just get the same kind of card as account you make. If you make a Singapore account just search Play Asia for PSN Singapore.

Cool, I'll try that when I get home. Sounds like it's way easier than I expected it to be.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

EGSunBro posted:

Z1 is the only time I've enjoyed the squad system in a SRW, and since they don't seem to want to use it again I hope V just doesn't have squads.

I also don't really like using any real robots beyond some main gundams so I think the upsides of the squad systems just aren't super important to me though since usually I can swing most supers and a couple neat super supports on my team in non-squad games. Z's squad system felt really cool mechanically on top of the team expansion so it was a cool compromise, but I haven't enjoyed any squad or twin setup otherwise.

I've only ever played what's available to purchase in English so I don't have a wide range of stuff to go off of, but I liked MD's systems once I learned how to actually use them.

But I also use pretty much entirely Reals so :v:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Actually, here's a question.

As someone who has never played a G Gen game, what are the major differences I should be aware of from SRW? I suppose the manual will be English too so I can just read it and try but I like to have a vague idea of what I'm getting into.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prism posted:

Actually, here's a question.

As someone who has never played a G Gen game, what are the major differences I should be aware of from SRW? I suppose the manual will be English too so I can just read it and try but I like to have a vague idea of what I'm getting into.

You don't have designated units. Instead it's about collecting and upgrading units and pilots. The plots are almost universally just "here is the actual story." The mechanics are pretty different but the game has tutorials that explain them all.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think Tag is just them trying to jam the squaddiness of Tri into Twin without understanding how Z designed its cast around enabling what Tri was supposed to encourage. Tri makes the followers very follow-y and demands you preserve the formation in full or else lose a lot, which is what Tag does, but in Twin's "partner" framework, which doesn't really work as well.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

You don't have designated units. Instead it's about collecting and upgrading units and pilots. The plots are almost universally just "here is the actual story." The mechanics are pretty different but the game has tutorials that explain them all.

Interesting. Does it let you use wrong-theme characters and robots if the plots are straight adaptations - for instance, can I deploy Domon in the 0079 plot if I've got him? Or, for an even more extreme example, Quattro?

Not that I remember if Domon is in this one, it's just an example.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prism posted:

Interesting. Does it let you use wrong-theme characters and robots if the plots are straight adaptations - for instance, can I deploy Domon in the 0079 plot if I've got him? Or, for an even more extreme example, Quattro?

G Generation Genesis is entirely Universal Century but yes, you can put almost any character into any unit. There are a very small number of characters who only can deployed as "Support" characters which means they are piloting your Battleship instead of a Gundam but it's a fairly small number. You could, in previous GGens, deploy a team of Relena, Lacus, Diana and a Haro to wipe out your foes if you want. You also have G Generation original characters and also can create your own custom pilot if you want.

Units are gotten by either upgrading existing units (units level up and at certain levels they can evolve), combining units together, capturing them on the battlefield or by maxing out the "get" bar for a unit which is given to you during a plot.

Most stages will give you the plot characters for that level by default and then you can bring in other characters. The plot characters are weaker than your own characters but you're usually encouraged to use them to unlock hidden bonus objectives.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Prism posted:

Generally the plot dudes are there (Amuro in the gundam, Bright in the White Base) and then your battleship(s) and units deploy along side them. Your units can include an RX-78 piloted by Haman or an entire team of Chars (you can only get 1 of each pilot but each series has a different usable version of reoccurring characters. So you only get one OYW Char but you also can get a AEUG Quattro and a CCA Char)

Genesis is UC only. (pretty much)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The GIG posted:

I really wish I had the money for this. Hoping this somehow gets brought over or I magically get a payraise so I can import.

Making a Singapore PSN account is really easy(as they use English for all aspects of it), as is getting the needed Singapore money

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Caphi posted:

I think Tag is just them trying to jam the squaddiness of Tri into Twin without understanding how Z designed its cast around enabling what Tri was supposed to encourage. Tri makes the followers very follow-y and demands you preserve the formation in full or else lose a lot, which is what Tag does, but in Twin's "partner" framework, which doesn't really work as well.

The OG team system but more dudes with a special Tri attack and locked platoon attacks would be a super good thing imo. Slap on the Z3 thing of Support Attack levels making your platoon attack more powerful too. I mostly just want counter attacks from platoon members, even if only in certain formations to make stages not take twice as long as they really should because 2/3 of your roster don't exist on the enemy turn.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

drrockso20 posted:

Making a Singapore PSN account is really easy(as they use English for all aspects of it), as is getting the needed Singapore money

I get most of my games through trade ins and sales so pretty much all my psn cards come from that.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

EthanSteele posted:

The OG team system but more dudes with a special Tri attack and locked platoon attacks would be a super good thing imo. Slap on the Z3 thing of Support Attack levels making your platoon attack more powerful too. I mostly just want counter attacks from platoon members, even if only in certain formations to make stages not take twice as long as they really should because 2/3 of your roster don't exist on the enemy turn.

Honestly you should be able to at least change leaders on being attacked, if not formation. At least then you'd be able to control targeting, among other things like making the difference between a TRI leader, an ALL sweeper, and a defender more meaningful. (As it stands, you're expected to commit to a single shape for the entire enemy turn sight unseen which is 99% of any given unit's lifetime.)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
GGen is like Disgaea - a free form SRPG where you're just trying to create the most badass group of pilots and MSs with the highest numbers possible by diving into individual events from the animes to level characters and gank specific enemy MSs, so you can fuse them with yours and create new ones Megami Tensei style.

Other than having anime robots and fancy combat cutscenes it is really different than the linear, story driven SRW.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
I think my favorite weird G Gen thing is Gineas showing up at the end of Gather Beat/Advance as the final boss with an army of Apsalus IIIs and a mobile armor that looked like a modern art installment.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
Been playing more Moon Dwellers. Lower HP to X missions suck. But at least the SR points have been pretty easy at the moment. Though getting HP down on the HP Sponge Boss was down to the last attack.

I like how it's been two missions and 0 kills for anyone, too.

But I am enjoying it a lot more than 2ndOG since it is in English. Some of the dialog is really goofy. I love it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Super Robot Wars: Come on, that's Cinderella

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Been playing more Moon Dwellers. Lower HP to X missions suck. But at least the SR points have been pretty easy at the moment. Though getting HP down on the HP Sponge Boss was down to the last attack.

I like how it's been two missions and 0 kills for anyone, too.

But I am enjoying it a lot more than 2ndOG since it is in English. Some of the dialog is really goofy. I love it.

Thankfully the 'reduce HP to X' missions really taper off after the opening.

I've been on my second playthrough, probably about halfway. The absolute worst missions are the 'keept he NPCs who will suicide against bosses alive', but thankfully those are almost always just the SR point.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
So SRW V got me to check out Cross Ange since I'd never heard of the series. I walked away with some pretty strong mixed feelings, but I guess it's nice that the folks who made Ar Tonelico got to make an anime.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
G Generations Genesis note:

Save before you start messing with modifications. I had a softlock while installing one, and now I have to redo the stage before since I thought I'd do the gear meddling first.

Edit: I don't really want to do that stage again immediately. Is there any penalty for wandering off and doing one of the other scenarios for a while? I started with the original 0079 stuff, but if I go and do Zeta's scenarios is it going to remove my progress on 0079?

Prism fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 23, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prism posted:

G Generations Genesis note:

Save before you start messing with modifications. I had a softlock while installing one, and now I have to redo the stage before since I thought I'd do the gear meddling first.

Edit: I don't really want to do that stage again immediately. Is there any penalty for wandering off and doing one of the other scenarios for a while? I started with the original 0079 stuff, but if I go and do Zeta's scenarios is it going to remove my progress on 0079?

Nah, you can wander from stage to stage without much trouble. The only real 'hard part' is that later stages tend to have heavier hitting stuff. You can still take on Unicorn right away but Full Frontal can oneshot a Tornado Gundam vs Zakus barely scratching it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, you can wander from stage to stage without much trouble. The only real 'hard part' is that later stages tend to have heavier hitting stuff. You can still take on Unicorn right away but Full Frontal can oneshot a Tornado Gundam vs Zakus barely scratching it.

OK, no harm going to do one of the early ones then. Thanks!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I

Silvergun1000 posted:

So SRW V got me to check out Cross Ange since I'd never heard of the series. I walked away with some pretty strong mixed feelings, but I guess it's nice that the folks who made Ar Tonelico got to make an anime.

I'm not familiar with Ar Tonelico, but that is some serious shade you just threw on it.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm not familiar with Ar Tonelico, but that is some serious shade you just threw on it.

Tell me if this sounds familiar. It's a series (of RPGs in this case) that has some fantastic art direction music and world building, but also is loaded with some downright creepy poo poo that really does nothing but tarnish the overall package.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I thought Ar Tonelico 2 was a legit good game in almost every way. 1 and 3, not so much.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought Ar Tonelico 2 was a legit good game in almost every way. 1 and 3, not so much.

AT1 is good, AT2 is great, AT3 is really bad, and AnS is pretty good.

Shame that Akiko Shikata kind of phoned in her music for Ange. Not that I could stand watching past the first episode, but I had to at least listen to the ost.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
All I know is I couldn't watch more than the first episode of cross ange, and I'm kinda wishing there was a different series in V.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Isn't Cross Ange's inclusion like Zero and Hathaway's Flash in SRWV, which is to say, unit-only inclusions? Seems like the best thing they could've done. You get the cool magic motorcycle robots where you can hang outside the cockpit and shoot at things while your robot does and the dragons, and don't have to have anything else at all. Get all the good stuff and none of the bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Isn't Cross Ange's inclusion like Zero and Hathaway's Flash in SRWV, which is to say, unit-only inclusions? Seems like the best thing they could've done. You get the cool magic motorcycle robots where you can hang outside the cockpit and shoot at things while your robot does and the dragons, and don't have to have anything else at all. Get all the good stuff and none of the bad.

No, Cross Ange is a full series inclusion.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

gently caress.

To be honest I really don't see SRW including graphic psuedo-sodomy or whatever and it would probably be pretty trivial to SRW Cross Ange's plot into something non-awful so it might be the Destiny of this specific game where it actually comes out better than it would normally.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I really don't see SRW including graphic psuedo-sodomy or whatever and it would probably be pretty trivial to SRW Cross Ange's plot into something non-awful so it might be the Destiny of this specific game where it actually comes out better than it would normally.

I mean, they managed to get in Zeorymer and Demonbane. More than once, for Zeorymer. It'll be fine.

Edit: I forgot anime Zeorymer at least toned that down anyway (I don't know anything about anime Demonbane so maybe that does too). Whoops.

Prism fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 23, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Prism posted:

I mean, they managed to get in Zeorymer and Demonbane. More than once, for Zeorymer. It'll be fine.

Edit: I forgot anime Zeorymer at least toned that down anyway. Whoops.

Manga Zeorymer was a tremendous disappointment after how enjoyable and strange the OVA was.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Schwarzwald posted:

Manga Zeorymer was a tremendous disappointment after how enjoyable and strange the OVA was.

When I first played MX I thought I'd look it up, since I didn't (and don't) read Japanese well enough to follow the game in detail, and found the first part of the manga before I looked at the anime at all. About half, I think.

My response was, more or less, 'THIS got in?'

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I looked it up.

why did i look it up. don't look it up

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hivac posted:

I looked it up.

why did i look it up. don't look it up

This is the best plan.

Mostly I was trying to be reassuring because it was like 'if they made this work how bad can they make Cross Ange?' but forgot the OVA didn't have that poo poo anyhow soooo... uh, here's hoping? I'd feel the same way if they added Valvrave or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I really wonder how the people behind the OVA were able to turn generic "boy gets the world strongest robot story (but with bonus tragicomic schoolgirl rape!)" and turn it into Meio Project. I should really take some time to look up who all was involved with that.

• Locked thread