Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Continuing with my Ironman Chios game and loving hell are the Basileuses (?) a bunch of raging assholes.
The last dude yanked two Viceroyalty Duchies from me (the counties, thankfully, were either mine or my vassals') and then revoked a County I'd stolen fair and square a couple of centuries back. By the time the Purple fuckface got around to trying to revoke the second, I was fed up with him so declined. He died partway through that war.
The first thing his successor did was revoke a couple more counties from other poor saps.

None of those revocations were Council-sanctioned.

Dickheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Can a vassal serve as court physician? I'm thinking about landing my Genius (26 learning!), Hunchback, one-eyed Iranian Christian Court Physician. He's celibate and 57, so I'll eventually regain control when he passes.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can a vassal serve as court physician? I'm thinking about landing my Genius (26 learning!), Hunchback, one-eyed Iranian Christian Court Physician. He's celibate and 57, so I'll eventually regain control when he passes.
Yea but you can't land celibates as far as I remember, same as with eunuchs

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Read somewhere on Reddit that it's best to fill your capital with cities. Idk if it is true anymore I always make castles anyway.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Sorry double post

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 22, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

Read somewhere on Reddit that it's best to fill your capital with cities. Idk if it is true anymore I always make castles anyway.

If you're planning on keeping the holdings yourself you should go with castles for the extra troops, but if you're planning on giving them to vassals you should go with cities for the money.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

It depends upon what your goal is I guess. Cities will give you a nice amount of vassal income from them, increased even more if you have your steward increasing revenue in your capital. If you put castles there (that you own) and put your marshal to increase levy amount, you'll end up with a very large personal levy. I like this option better, but I could see arguments for putting cities down instead.

If I'm playing a republic however, I always do cities in my capital. I don't really need the extra levy with my retinues, so extra cash to pay for them is the way to go.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

binge crotching posted:

If I'm playing a republic however, I always do cities in my capital. I don't really need the extra levy with my retinues, so extra cash to pay for them is the way to go.

My current republic game, I don't personally hold a single city, and I think it's the way to go. Money is infinite anyways. Might as well boost your levies to keep your vassals from getting any ideas.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Volkerball posted:

My current republic game, I don't personally hold a single city, and I think it's the way to go. Money is infinite anyways. Might as well boost your levies to keep your vassals from getting any ideas.

But then you might as well be one of those smelly nobles!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jazerus posted:

But then you might as well be one of those smelly nobles!

I spend more in a month than those clowns will see in a lifetime.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Once you have like 3 merc bands on perma-retainer there isn't really much left to do.

Also goddammit, why can't I keep landing my family as new merchant republics. I just wanted to make the Frozen North rich again!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Once you have like 3 merc bands on perma-retainer there isn't really much left to do.

Also goddammit, why can't I keep landing my family as new merchant republics. I just wanted to make the Frozen North rich again!

Since I've moved on to Conclave, instead of using the default mercs, I'm gonna build my own dynamic one and rain tens of thousands of ducats on it to see what happens.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Can you change the options in a game after its already started? I turned up epidemics in the options and now my characters won't stop huffing goat farts.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

McGavin posted:

If you're planning on keeping the holdings yourself you should go with castles for the extra troops, but if you're planning on giving them to vassals you should go with cities for the money.

Only if you're a Merchant Republic. If you're feudal then building baronies and holding them yourself is waaaay better. If you have your steward set to Collect Taxes then you'll get almost as much money from a barony you hold yourself as from a city held by a vassal mayor. Plus troops are pretty drat important, not just for actual stabbing of things but for discouraging uppity vassals from loving with you.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Man, things are going well for my Wurttemburg game. I've negated the power base of all my counts down to single counties and I'm firmly in control now. Only problem is, still no male heir. And this despite persistent (and eventually open) seduction attempts on a variety of young women brought into court. I produced a single bastard, another daughter.

And my eldest daughter has horrible stats. Between her and my counties being parcelled out between her sisters, everything I've worked for will fall apart if I was to die now. I NEED a son... Or maybe I should hope she produces a grandson, but that'd likely produce a dangerous regency period. :negative:

Actually wait, will a grandson from her be heir even if I produce a son?

I suppose the eye doesn't help with seduction. Put an eyepatch or something on you goony gently caress, geeze.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Since I've moved on to Conclave, instead of using the default mercs, I'm gonna build my own dynamic one and rain tens of thousands of ducats on it to see what happens.
What happens is that you get a merc band composed solely of heavy cav with some light to chase things down

a bit like being a horse nomad really

Mantis42 posted:

Can you change the options in a game after its already started? I turned up epidemics in the options and now my characters won't stop huffing goat farts.
Nope. Learn to love the "Invite Holy Man" button and start building up hospitals around your capital ASAP

Finally, construction is actually sometimes a priority!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Actually wait, will a grandson from her be heir even if I produce a son?

I suppose the eye doesn't help with seduction. Put an eyepatch or something on you goony gently caress, geeze.
No, if the Daughter has a son, he's heir but if YOU have a son, that son overrules him.

Also lol,
[Middle aged fatboi waddles up to you]
"Halluchen Schatz, I may have only ze one eye und one hand but ze parts that are left are more zan enough to handle you!"

Also loving christ why is there not a console command to get out of game overs? I accidentally entered a created merchant republic too early and now I have to redo all of loving mormon/americanist/horselord middle america and Atomicist/Pirate Middle America

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

kingturnip posted:

Continuing with my Ironman Chios game and loving hell are the Basileuses (?) a bunch of raging assholes.
The last dude yanked two Viceroyalty Duchies from me (the counties, thankfully, were either mine or my vassals') and then revoked a County I'd stolen fair and square a couple of centuries back. By the time the Purple fuckface got around to trying to revoke the second, I was fed up with him so declined. He died partway through that war.
The first thing his successor did was revoke a couple more counties from other poor saps.

None of those revocations were Council-sanctioned.

Dickheads.

Basileis is the plural. Glorious 3rd declension nouns.

And yeah, playing in Byzantium requires you to accept crazed tyrants. Or to take their eyes :getin:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also loving christ why is there not a console command to get out of game overs? I accidentally entered a created merchant republic too early and now I have to redo all of loving mormon/americanist/horselord middle america and Atomicist/Pirate Middle America

Did you have a recent save to go back to?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Did you have a recent save to go back to?
Nope, was setting up the world so I hadn't saved. I keep forgetting to go back to the guy I mean to play and quicksave.

Eeehh, took a lil break then redid it. Goddamn Mormons keep settling though; I do not want you to form the drat tribal kingdom of Big sky, I want you to invade the Haida and Gaians THEN settle there, ugh.

Also the Firearmed trait can trigger the old "you kill your own commanders in battle lol" even on yourself

shoulda realized the pirates probs weren't called "Goku" on consideration...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I just noticed I have a major problem... sorta.

King Karloman the Oppressor is depressed, stressed, infirm and likely is dying as a result. The good(?) news is apparently I'm the leading elective successor for East Francia. The bad news is, half of my super dutchy is technically part of Middle Francia or Burgandy (Karloman made every king title he could, the idiot). Am I correct for suspecting that despite them being my vassals, I'll lose control of those regions if Karloman dies and his crowns are divided?

Visible is me intervening to crush Bavarian soldiers who are raiding my territory as part of an ongoing tributary war Karloman started 28 years ago and never got around to finishing due to constant civil wars.

If I'm NOT elected King of East Francia, will I still lose them? If I'm in the middle of an independence war, will I still lose them? If I create and own the title of Dutchy of Alsace, will I retain those two counties at least?

What the hell can I do to prevent the loss of these territories? I've worked too hard to lose so much. Especially when I am unsure if I even want the elective crown of East Francia.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 23, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

King Karloman the Oppressor is depressed, stressed, infirm and likely is dying as a result. The good(?) news is apparently I'm the leading elective successor for East Francia. The bad news is, half of my super dutchy is technically part of Middle Francia or Burgandy (Karloman made every king title he could, the idiot). Am I correct for suspecting that despite them being my vassals, I'll lose control of those regions if Karloman dies and his crowns are divided?

Visible is me intervening to crush Bavarian soldiers who are raiding my territory as part of an ongoing tributary war Karloman started 28 years ago and never got around to finishing due to constant civil wars.

If I'm NOT elected King of East Francia, will I still lose them? If I'm in the middle of an independence war, will I still lose them? If I create and own the title of Dutchy of Alsace, will I retain those two counties at least?

What the hell can I do to prevent the loss of these territories? I've worked too hard to lose so much. Especially when I am unsure if I even want the elective crown of East Francia.

You keep your lands and vassals despite them belonging to another de jure kingdom

welcome to a world called border-gore
[WHIPCRACK]

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm pretty sure your vassals in de jure Middle Francia will remain your vassals even if the crowns split, regardless of whether or not you get elected King. I also don't think an independence war would effect anything, but I'm less sure about that.

The worst case scenario is that Middle Francia might declare war on East Francia in order to grab some of that territory after the succession(s) - if East Francia losses that war you'll lose land or vassals

You might want to start saving up to hire mercenaries. even if you don't get the Eastern crown, you can still use your own levies and mercs to help your liege win that war

Talky fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 23, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are you guys sure about that? This tooltip is what is making me really worried:

Won't whoever inherits the other crown become the new defacto ruler?

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are you guys sure about that? This tooltip is what is making me really worried:

Won't whoever inherits the other crown become the new defacto ruler?

Nope! Afterwards the de facto ruler will either be you (if you're elected King) or whoever you end up a vassal of. In Catholic feudalism all your land is your personal property, and all your vassals are sworn to you, personally. They don't, for the most part, have any real connection to the Kingdom crowns except through your own vassalage to Karloman. It'll all stay with you, in whichever kingdom you end up in.

What that tooltip is saying is that those lands are de jure part of Middle Francia. It's traditionally considered a part of that kingdom, but could in actuality be controlled by anyone and won't necessarily get it in the succession. Whoever ends up with that crown will have de jure claims on the land that they can use to declare war and try to take it, or make your count vassals switch to them.

After the crowns split, that tooltip will change to say who the current king of Middle Francia is, and note that they might try to take control of the province and that some crown laws they pass may effect it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Apparently and unfortunately, I am correct for some reason? :negative:

I am sorely tempted to CRTL-ALT-DEL this and immediately independence revolt when I reload. [edit] I don't even get claims on my old territories.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
Huh... welp, guess I was wrong then

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Apparently and unfortunately, I am correct for some reason? :negative:

I am sorely tempted to CRTL-ALT-DEL this and immediately independence revolt when I reload. [edit] I don't even get claims on my old territories.

Dang homie sorry I didn't catch you earlier. That happened to me in the Byzantine empire when I was king of Armenia. Lost EVERYTHING outside of de jure Armenia. Quit that one and never went back, you know how hard it is to get off the ground as an Armenian count?? It's hard.

I started playing the old gods start more often and holy moly it winds up much more historical and with way less border gore. Would recommend to anyone wanting something doffeeent but vaguely familiar

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wait, the King of West Francia even got control of a County I directly possessed, it wasn't a vassal, it was mine.

I'm just sitting here paused trying to figure out what happened and why. I just want to know what logic was used for what goes to which crown. I'm still considering the cheaty-process kill and reload.

The division process definitely wansn't based on De Jure territories:

[edit] Wait, are those Umayyids in Brittany? There goes the neighborhood.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 23, 2016

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Talky posted:

I'm pretty sure your vassals in de jure Middle Francia will remain your vassals even if the crowns split, regardless of whether or not you get elected King.

Not if your vassals inherit a higher title, though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I did the dirty deed. I Killed CK2 and reloaded and joined the Independence faction, which fired off almost immediately after. Shortly after that Karloman dies and Francia explodes into horrible border gore. My new liege (who I am still rebelling against) is Germany (formerly known as East Francia). Also existing are France, Franconia, and Middle Francia. Anyways, we fight Germany for a couple years, the leader with his army, me with mine and my mercenaries. For some reason my attacking German armies doesn't provide battles warscore or contribution, but seizing control of castles/towns does. :confused:

Anyways, minor disaster strikes when the leader of the independence revolt suffers a heart attack and dies, ending the independence war (:argh:). I immediately form my own independence faction and fire it off. I have a bit over twice the number of troops as the war-torn German King and he allows me to go free unopposed. I spend a few years rebuilding my funds and now at last the first of my two goals is complete:

(renamed Swabia because The Kingdom of Alemannia didn't seem right, I dunno)

Now if only I could complete my other objective... a son. But despite siring at least four or five bastards, they've all been daughters. Eberhard is apparently incapable of siring a son. :negative: At least my eldest daughter has produced a grandson. I have a combined fertility of +65% but my chaste wife refuses to produce another child, I guess the blatant affairs with teenagers have something to do with it? Who knows. I can't get a divorce either, maybe I should butter up the Pope. One of my flings was Attractive and Quick (but with lovers pox... I think she got that after I VVV'd)

Also, I just noticed that I need every vassal happy with me to switch inheritance laws... that is... not happening. Four of them utterly hate my guts for striping titles from them and other offenses. I'd just wait for them to die off, but while three are old men, the fourth is a young girl, and I can't kill her or else he county passes to the King of Bavaria. Though I'll probably attempt to revoke her last county when the truce wears off in a few years. [edit: Oh I guess I can't change to a decent inheritance law because of lack of legalism/late feudal...?]

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what to do now (besides my damndest to get a son). The goal was always to form my own kingdom, I didn't think much about what to do afterwards. :v: Maybe I should do something about the Umayyids taking over Brittany, but ehh, is it really my problem? And I guess I should work on getting the two counties of my dutch that I don't own under my possession. Not sure if I should eventually form my other two Ducal Titles to cut down on the number of vassals I have. They're only 2 counties dutchies, so they wouldn't be very powerful.

[edit]What? Despite breaking away from Germany, I'm still able to vote in its Elections?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 23, 2016

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
So, anyone else get this AMAZING event chain yet? It was SO good.

So, after about 80 years of being Immortal, I go insane, possessed, werewolf, pretty much all the crazy. I get Glitterhoof on my council. After having a bad nightmare wherein Glitterhoof dies, I'm given the option to give some of my immortal blood to Glitterhoof. Obviously I do it. After another 40 years of glorious insanity, with me and my immortal horse the only real constants, I get a letter written in strange handwriting, though obviously the writer is very intelligent. The letter seems to be threatening me, telling me that I am a pretender and a farce, a "disgrace to our kind" and that the writer has taken out others like me in the past, and that they are coming for me now.

Turns out I had the target wrong.

He's got a cool Hellenic trait I didn't know about!

I wish I had capped the other screens too. I chose to engage him in scholarly debate. After several choices where I continued to pose more and more challenging questions and he was writing out equations and proofs on the walls of my castle I finally got him to conclude aloud that immortals cannot possibly exist, and he literally poofed out of existence. My ruler went on to die in battle at a ripe old age of 217.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I had to look up who that horse was. It was Caligula's horse, presumably the inspiration for Glitterhoof. :psyduck:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Immortal rivals is quite possibly my favorite thing I have ever made at Paradox :)

Another outcome I saw recently:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/5eaaqq/i_killed_my_immortal_wife_as_an_immortal_werewolf/

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 23, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

pwnyXpress posted:

So, after about 80 years of being Immortal, I go insane, possessed, werewolf, pretty much all the crazy. I get Glitterhoof on my council. After having a bad nightmare wherein Glitterhoof dies, I'm given the option to give some of my immortal blood to Glitterhoof. Obviously I do it. After another 40 years of glorious insanity, with me and my immortal horse the only real constants, I get a letter written in strange handwriting, though obviously the writer is very intelligent. The letter seems to be threatening me, telling me that I am a pretender and a farce, a "disgrace to our kind" and that the writer has taken out others like me in the past, and that they are coming for me now.

I wish I had capped the other screens too. I chose to engage him in scholarly debate. After several choices where I continued to pose more and more challenging questions and he was writing out equations and proofs on the walls of my castle I finally got him to conclude aloud that immortals cannot possibly exist, and he literally poofed out of existence. My ruler went on to die in battle at a ripe old age of 217.

Is this a mod? what the gently caress has happened to this game lmao

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Node posted:

Is this a mod? what the gently caress has happened to this game lmao

100% official.

CK2 is a fantastic game.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Just in case there you don't know, that immortal horse isn't just any horse, that's Caligula's horse, the original lunatic appointed horse councilor.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Read the last paragraph of the In art and metaphor section in the wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incitatus

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit]What? Despite breaking away from Germany, I'm still able to vote in its Elections?

Yup, you're still de jure part of that realm.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

pwnyXpress posted:

Ahhhhhh I need Reaper's Due so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Never really played a Merchant Republic before. I have played a few Ironman games as Oysteinn in Oppland. Those games usually went well until my attempts at creating Ostlandet ran afoul of one of the major powers in the area (or the external distraction of another game).

Merchant republics seem intimidating, same with playing as an Islamic ruler.

Merchant republics are a blast. I go tech heavy in conjunction with aggressive trade post building and just use that growth to steam roll local counties/towns/baronies that my trade posts are in.

Current game I started as Ireland in 8th century and flipped it to a merchant republic. My goal is to be big and strong enough to challenge the Aztechs come the end of the 13th century.

• Locked thread